is this a good wireless pocket pc solution?

July 30, 2004 9:40:05 AM

I live in Seattle, and I am interested in a low cost wireless pocket pc that has
wireless internet.

I have researched a bit, and have come up with the Dell Axim X30 with the 624mhz
processor and built in bluetooth for $349 along with a bluetooth enabled phone,
like maybe the Sony Ericsson T610 t-mobile phone from amazon for -$150 after
rebates. This would bring my solution to ~$200 which seems to be about the
cheapest I am going to find for a top quality pocket pc and wireless internet???

Are there better solutions than the T610 and t-mobile service? What type of
data rate should I expect? I am thinking that I could upgrade to a UMTS phone
later...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 9:40:06 AM

You might also consider a PocketPC with integrated 802.11b. Seattle seems to be a hotbed of free
wireless access about town...

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/WhereToGetOn

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Rick" <rick@skyko.com> wrote in message news:ValOc.1246$i_.1208@nwrddc04.gnilink.net...
>I live in Seattle, and I am interested in a low cost wireless pocket pc that has
> wireless internet.
>
> I have researched a bit, and have come up with the Dell Axim X30 with the 624mhz
> processor and built in bluetooth for $349 along with a bluetooth enabled phone,
> like maybe the Sony Ericsson T610 t-mobile phone from amazon for -$150 after
> rebates. This would bring my solution to ~$200 which seems to be about the
> cheapest I am going to find for a top quality pocket pc and wireless internet???
>
> Are there better solutions than the T610 and t-mobile service? What type of
> data rate should I expect? I am thinking that I could upgrade to a UMTS phone
> later...
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Rick

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 8:55:41 PM

He did. The X30 has that. Incidentally, if you don't get too anxious, the
624MHz has been on and off prices as low as $290 recently, and the 324MHz
version is a darn good buy as well. The performance is not bad, and the
slower processor would appear to give better battery life.
--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> You might also consider a PocketPC with integrated 802.11b. Seattle seems
to be a hotbed of free
> wireless access about town...
>
> http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/WhereToGetOn
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Rick" <rick@skyko.com> wrote in message
> >I live in Seattle, and I am interested in a low cost wireless pocket pc
that has
> > wireless internet.
> >
> > I have researched a bit, and have come up with the Dell Axim X30 with
the 624mhz
> > processor and built in bluetooth for $349 along with a bluetooth enabled
phone,
> > like maybe the Sony Ericsson T610 t-mobile phone from amazon for -$150
after
> > rebates. This would bring my solution to ~$200 which seems to be about
the
> > cheapest I am going to find for a top quality pocket pc and wireless
internet???

> > Are there better solutions than the T610 and t-mobile service? What
type of
> > data rate should I expect? I am thinking that I could upgrade to a UMTS
phone
> > later...
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > Rick

a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 8:55:42 PM

In message <#OqUYhodEHA.2344@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
<sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> He did. The X30 has that.

Ok... I did not know that...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

I have an X3i with integrated wireless, and since owning it, would highly
recommend. The X30 is even faster . . .
"Rick" <rick@skyko.com> wrote in message
>I live in Seattle, and I am interested in a low cost wireless pocket pc
>that has
> wireless internet.
>
> I have researched a bit, and have come up with the Dell Axim X30 with the
> 624mhz
> processor and built in bluetooth for $349 along with a bluetooth enabled
> phone,
> like maybe the Sony Ericsson T610 t-mobile phone from amazon for -$150
> after
> rebates. This would bring my solution to ~$200 which seems to be about
> the
> cheapest I am going to find for a top quality pocket pc and wireless
> internet???
>
> Are there better solutions than the T610 and t-mobile service? What type
> of
> data rate should I expect? I am thinking that I could upgrade to a UMTS
> phone
> later...
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Rick

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 3:04:51 AM

Rick: The X30 version you mention is a nice one (and available for $298 from
Dell.com at the moment, btw). Since it has IrDA, Bluetooth, and 802.11b
WiFi, you can connect to pretty much anything.

I have not tested it with the Sony Ericsson T610. However, I did test the
T610 with the HP iPAQ 2215 and was very impressed by the T610's Bluetooth
stack configuation ease (compared to, for instance, the Nokia 3650). I
suspect you will be pretty happy with the combo.

You can read the few reservations I have about the T610 in my review at...

Sony Ericsson T610 review (includes comments and photos of it connecting to
a Pocket PC via Bluetooth)
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2003/12/11/son...

Please also note that the newer T630 series is available now but not through
T-Mobile. AT&T Wireless has the T637 which has a more readable screen in
sunlight than the T610 series.
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info