Advice needed - anti-algae fluid

What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of a
watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?

I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.

What do you guys recommend ?

Stu.

====================
DangerDen RBX
Thermochill HE120.2
Eheim 1048
Dual Bay Res
====================
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
P4C3.0@3.6
1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

lee

Battery acid?

On Sat, 8 May 2004 21:45:23 +0100, "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address>
wrote:

>:>What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of a
>:>watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
>:>
>:>I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
>:>
>:>What do you guys recommend ?
>:>
>:>Stu.
>:>
>:>====================
>:>DangerDen RBX
>:>Thermochill HE120.2
>:>Eheim 1048
>:>Dual Bay Res
>:>====================
>:>ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
>:>P4C3.0@3.6
>:>1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2
>:>

-----
Lee.

Andrew

I just find it funny with all the thought gone into water cooling they
failed to think of the algae thing.
But I guess they are going on the concept of Auto rads and the temps that
kill off any living things.
"Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
> What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of
> watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
>
> I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
>
> What do you guys recommend ?
>
> Stu.
>
> ====================
> DangerDen RBX
> Thermochill HE120.2
> Eheim 1048
> Dual Bay Res
> ====================
> ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
> P4C3.0@3.6
> 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

if my dealings with outdoor freshwater ponds has any bearing on this, i'd
say lemon juice or some other mild acid would do the trick: algae seem to
be fond of hard (alkaline) water conditions. it can't hurt to try

"Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
> What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of
> watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
>
> I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
>
> What do you guys recommend ?
>
> Stu.
>
> ====================
> DangerDen RBX
> Thermochill HE120.2
> Eheim 1048
> Dual Bay Res
> ====================
> ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
> P4C3.0@3.6
> 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

or, in fact, some extract of barley-straw. i have bought this in
proprietory form as "Alg-Away" - your local pet/fish/pond supply store
should be able to point you to an equivalent

"Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
> What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of
> watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
>
> I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
>
> What do you guys recommend ?
>
> Stu.
>
> ====================
> DangerDen RBX
> Thermochill HE120.2
> Eheim 1048
> Dual Bay Res
> ====================
> ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
> P4C3.0@3.6
> 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

Well, if none of the water cooling circuit is transparent, then that pretty
well eliminates algae! But other stuff can grow and form films that will
reduce the heat transfer. If some of the water circuit is copper, that
should help, maybe enough by itself. Of course, demineralised, sterile
water to start is a big plus.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

wrote:

>What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of a
>watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
>
>I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
>
>What do you guys recommend ?
>
>Stu.
>
>====================
>DangerDen RBX
>Thermochill HE120.2
>Eheim 1048
>Dual Bay Res
>====================
>ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
>P4C3.0@3.6
>1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

I've found the best to be an anti algae agent sold by aquarium shops.
If it's safe for a fish tank, it's safe for a water cooled rig.

HTH
--
webweaver@CATihug.com.au
"Put the CAT out to reply"

demineralised water with long lasting anti-fungal agent found at any
waterbed shop. :)

"Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
> What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of
> watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
>
> I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
>
> What do you guys recommend ?
>
> Stu.
>
> ====================
> DangerDen RBX
> Thermochill HE120.2
> Eheim 1048
> Dual Bay Res
> ====================
> ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
> P4C3.0@3.6
> 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

I'll have to keep what every one has said so far, I just have plain well
water in here at the time, and on a big resavar.
In short, my resavar is just a cleaned out Ice Cream bucket.
One Gallon, and a Quart, hooked up to the fill valves of the water cooler.
I might put longer tubes on this system somday, I'm wanting a Fish Tank,
and am thinking about using
my fishtank as a big resavar.
Water going to PC, After the FishTanks filter, so it's filtered water. Into
fishtank
anywhere, as long as the tube is under water, I'm thinking is a good way to
do this.

My CPU's Temps? Room temp, if room temps go up, the temps will stay the same
for a while.
At least till the water gets warmer, I did this cause I live in an upstairs
room that's hard to cool.
So @ least my water will keep one temp for a little while.
Fish type, Fresh Water.
Fancy = yes.
Fantails & other = yes.

Denny. :) "Back to old modo" Always with a smile, even when times are bad.

"buggy" <laidback@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> demineralised water with long lasting anti-fungal agent found at any
> waterbed shop. :)
>

> "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
> > What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water
of
> > watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
> >
> > I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
> >
> > What do you guys recommend ?
> >
> > Stu.
> >
> > ====================
> > DangerDen RBX
> > Thermochill HE120.2
> > Eheim 1048
> > Dual Bay Res
> > ====================
> > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
> > P4C3.0@3.6
> > 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

Hi,

As for running the water intake from the fishtank, I think that it would be
a very bad idea. Even tanks with the best filters still miss particles of
gunk, and over time, that would build up into a nice slimy coating on the
inside of your cooling tubes.

HTH,

MC

"Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@yahoospleen.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> As for running the water intake from the fishtank, I think that it would
be
> a very bad idea. Even tanks with the best filters still miss particles of
> gunk, and over time, that would build up into a nice slimy coating on the
> inside of your cooling tubes.

Ok, I'll keep it in mind, there are some extra filters you can get, some
just for water coolers.
Some gunk might be ok, as long as it's not too hard on the water pump, I
might just go for it.
Then just clean out my water cooler as needed.

Denny. :) Always with a smile, even when times are bad.

> "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@yahoospleen.com> wrote in
message
> > Hi,
> >
> > As for running the water intake from the fishtank, I think that it would
> be
> > a very bad idea. Even tanks with the best filters still miss particles
of
> > gunk, and over time, that would build up into a nice slimy coating on
the
> > inside of your cooling tubes.
>
> Ok, I'll keep it in mind, there are some extra filters you can get, some
> just for water coolers.
> Some gunk might be ok, as long as it's not too hard on the water pump, I
> might just go for it.
> Then just clean out my water cooler as needed.
>
> Denny. :) Always with a smile, even when times are bad.
>

> > HTH,
> >
> > MC

The slime build up starts to cause friction after a while, slowing down
water flow. I'll try to get a picture of the pipes in my pond and show you.
I suppose it wouldn't get too bad though, if you cleaned the tubes every
other week.

M C

Hey man, what had you decided on the MB you were looking at?
Me just wonders.
Denny.

> Hey man, what had you decided on the MB you were looking at?
> Me just wonders.
> Denny.

Yeah, I ended up ordering Soyo P41845PE v1.0 with a two year warantee. I
read some reviews on it and a lot of positive things were said about it. It
seems that I can get a pretty good overclock out of it too. It also fits my
budget at the moment. I'll report back with some results when I get it and
the 2.8 ghz chip.

MC

> "dennis e strausser jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hey man, what had you decided on the MB you were looking at?
> > Me just wonders.
> > Denny.
>
> Yeah, I ended up ordering Soyo P41845PE v1.0 with a two year warantee. I
> read some reviews on it and a lot of positive things were said about it.
It
> seems that I can get a pretty good overclock out of it too. It also fits
my
> budget at the moment. I'll report back with some results when I get it
and
> the 2.8 ghz chip.
>
> MC

Cool, I hope it goes well.
I just put a P4 Xeon cooler on my 2200+ It's fan that is.
My Athlon stays around 40C Idle, I was still running Sisoftware Sandra
Burn-in test
while writing this. 45.5C It didn't get any warmer.
Me thinks that's doing good, but then, you would think so wouldn't you.
With a Intel Xeon Wind Tunnal Fan. HSF setup is Antec.
I took off the fan that was on the Heatsink and put the Xeon fan on it..
Kind of cool, and is..
Denny. :)