Advice needed - anti-algae fluid

What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of a
watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?

I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.

What do you guys recommend ?

Stu.

====================
DangerDen RBX
Thermochill HE120.2
Eheim 1048
Dual Bay Res
====================
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
P4C3.0@3.6
1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2
14 answers Last reply
More about advice needed anti algae fluid

    Battery acid?

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 21:45:23 +0100, "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address>
    wrote:

    >:>What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of a
    >:>watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
    >:>
    >:>I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
    >:>
    >:>What do you guys recommend ?
    >:>
    >:>Stu.
    >:>
    >:>====================
    >:>DangerDen RBX
    >:>Thermochill HE120.2
    >:>Eheim 1048
    >:>Dual Bay Res
    >:>====================
    >:>ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
    >:>P4C3.0@3.6
    >:>1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2
    >:>

    -----
    Lee.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I just find it funny with all the thought gone into water cooling they
    failed to think of the algae thing.
    But I guess they are going on the concept of Auto rads and the temps that
    kill off any living things.
    "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
    > What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of
    > watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
    >
    > I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
    >
    > What do you guys recommend ?
    >
    > Stu.
    >
    > ====================
    > DangerDen RBX
    > Thermochill HE120.2
    > Eheim 1048
    > Dual Bay Res
    > ====================
    > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
    > P4C3.0@3.6
    > 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    if my dealings with outdoor freshwater ponds has any bearing on this, i'd
    say lemon juice or some other mild acid would do the trick: algae seem to
    be fond of hard (alkaline) water conditions. it can't hurt to try

    "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
    > What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of
    > watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
    >
    > I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
    >
    > What do you guys recommend ?
    >
    > Stu.
    >
    > ====================
    > DangerDen RBX
    > Thermochill HE120.2
    > Eheim 1048
    > Dual Bay Res
    > ====================
    > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
    > P4C3.0@3.6
    > 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    or, in fact, some extract of barley-straw. i have bought this in
    proprietory form as "Alg-Away" - your local pet/fish/pond supply store
    should be able to point you to an equivalent

    "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
    > What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of
    > watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
    >
    > I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
    >
    > What do you guys recommend ?
    >
    > Stu.
    >
    > ====================
    > DangerDen RBX
    > Thermochill HE120.2
    > Eheim 1048
    > Dual Bay Res
    > ====================
    > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
    > P4C3.0@3.6
    > 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Well, if none of the water cooling circuit is transparent, then that pretty
    well eliminates algae! But other stuff can grow and form films that will
    reduce the heat transfer. If some of the water circuit is copper, that
    should help, maybe enough by itself. Of course, demineralised, sterile
    water to start is a big plus.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
    > What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of
    > watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
    >
    > I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
    >
    > What do you guys recommend ?
    >
    > Stu.
    >
    > ====================
    > DangerDen RBX
    > Thermochill HE120.2
    > Eheim 1048
    > Dual Bay Res
    > ====================
    > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
    > P4C3.0@3.6
    > 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    wrote:

    >What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of a
    >watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
    >
    >I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
    >
    >What do you guys recommend ?
    >
    >Stu.
    >
    >====================
    >DangerDen RBX
    >Thermochill HE120.2
    >Eheim 1048
    >Dual Bay Res
    >====================
    >ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
    >P4C3.0@3.6
    >1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

    I've found the best to be an anti algae agent sold by aquarium shops.
    If it's safe for a fish tank, it's safe for a water cooled rig.

    HTH
    --
    webweaver@CATihug.com.au
    "Put the CAT out to reply"

    demineralised water with long lasting anti-fungal agent found at any
    waterbed shop. :)

    "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
    > What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water of
    > watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
    >
    > I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
    >
    > What do you guys recommend ?
    >
    > Stu.
    >
    > ====================
    > DangerDen RBX
    > Thermochill HE120.2
    > Eheim 1048
    > Dual Bay Res
    > ====================
    > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
    > P4C3.0@3.6
    > 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I'll have to keep what every one has said so far, I just have plain well
    water in here at the time, and on a big resavar.
    In short, my resavar is just a cleaned out Ice Cream bucket.
    One Gallon, and a Quart, hooked up to the fill valves of the water cooler.
    I might put longer tubes on this system somday, I'm wanting a Fish Tank,
    and am thinking about using
    my fishtank as a big resavar.
    Water going to PC, After the FishTanks filter, so it's filtered water. Into
    fishtank
    anywhere, as long as the tube is under water, I'm thinking is a good way to
    do this.

    My CPU's Temps? Room temp, if room temps go up, the temps will stay the same
    for a while.
    At least till the water gets warmer, I did this cause I live in an upstairs
    room that's hard to cool.
    So @ least my water will keep one temp for a little while.
    Fish type, Fresh Water.
    Fancy = yes.
    Fantails & other = yes.

    Denny. :-) "Back to old modo" Always with a smile, even when times are bad.

    "buggy" <laidback@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > demineralised water with long lasting anti-fungal agent found at any
    > waterbed shop. :)
    >

    > "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
    > > What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled water
    of
    > > watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
    > >
    > > I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
    > >
    > > What do you guys recommend ?
    > >
    > > Stu.
    > >
    > > ====================
    > > DangerDen RBX
    > > Thermochill HE120.2
    > > Eheim 1048
    > > Dual Bay Res
    > > ====================
    > > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
    > > P4C3.0@3.6
    > > 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Hi,

    As for running the water intake from the fishtank, I think that it would be
    a very bad idea. Even tanks with the best filters still miss particles of
    gunk, and over time, that would build up into a nice slimy coating on the
    inside of your cooling tubes.

    HTH,

    MC
    "dennis e strausser jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'll have to keep what every one has said so far, I just have plain well
    > water in here at the time, and on a big resavar.
    > In short, my resavar is just a cleaned out Ice Cream bucket.
    > One Gallon, and a Quart, hooked up to the fill valves of the water cooler.
    > I might put longer tubes on this system somday, I'm wanting a Fish
    Tank,
    > and am thinking about using
    > my fishtank as a big resavar.
    > Water going to PC, After the FishTanks filter, so it's filtered water.
    Into
    > fishtank
    > anywhere, as long as the tube is under water, I'm thinking is a good way
    > do this.
    >
    > My CPU's Temps? Room temp, if room temps go up, the temps will stay the
    same
    > for a while.
    > At least till the water gets warmer, I did this cause I live in an
    upstairs
    > room that's hard to cool.
    > So @ least my water will keep one temp for a little while.
    > Fish type, Fresh Water.
    > Fancy = yes.
    > Fantails & other = yes.
    >
    > Denny. :-) "Back to old modo" Always with a smile, even when times are
    bad.

    > "buggy" <laidback@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > > demineralised water with long lasting anti-fungal agent found at any
    > > waterbed shop. :)
    > >

    > > "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
    > > > What, in your opinion, is the best stuff to bung in the distilled
    water
    > of
    > > > watercooling rig to prevent the build up of gunge ?
    > > >
    > > > I've used Purple Ice before and that wasn't really very effective.
    > > >
    > > > What do you guys recommend ?
    > > >
    > > > Stu.
    > > >
    > > > ====================
    > > > DangerDen RBX
    > > > Thermochill HE120.2
    > > > Eheim 1048
    > > > Dual Bay Res
    > > > ====================
    > > > ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (not voltage modded yet!)
    > > > P4C3.0@3.6
    > > > 1Gb Corsair Dual Channel TwinX PC4000 CL2

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@yahoospleen.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > As for running the water intake from the fishtank, I think that it would
    be
    > a very bad idea. Even tanks with the best filters still miss particles of
    > gunk, and over time, that would build up into a nice slimy coating on the
    > inside of your cooling tubes.

    Ok, I'll keep it in mind, there are some extra filters you can get, some
    just for water coolers.
    Some gunk might be ok, as long as it's not too hard on the water pump, I
    might just go for it.
    Then just clean out my water cooler as needed.

    Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even when times are bad.

    > HTH,
    >
    > MC
    > "dennis e strausser jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I'll have to keep what every one has said so far, I just have plain well
    > > water in here at the time, and on a big resavar.
    > > In short, my resavar is just a cleaned out Ice Cream bucket.
    > > One Gallon, and a Quart, hooked up to the fill valves of the water
    cooler.
    > > I might put longer tubes on this system somday, I'm wanting a Fish
    > Tank,
    > > and am thinking about using
    > > my fishtank as a big resavar.
    > > Water going to PC, After the FishTanks filter, so it's filtered water.
    > Into
    > > fishtank
    > > anywhere, as long as the tube is under water, I'm thinking is a good
    way
    > > do this.
    > >
    > > My CPU's Temps? Room temp, if room temps go up, the temps will stay the
    > same
    > > for a while.
    > > At least till the water gets warmer, I did this cause I live in an
    > upstairs
    > > room that's hard to cool.
    > > So @ least my water will keep one temp for a little while.
    > > Fish type, Fresh Water.
    > > Fancy = yes.
    > > Fantails & other = yes.
    > >
    > > Denny. :-) "Back to old modo" Always with a smile, even when times are
    > bad.
    > >

    > > "buggy" <laidback@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > > > demineralised water with long lasting anti-fungal agent found at any
    > > > waterbed shop. :)
    > > >

    > > > "Stuart Gibson" <no e-mail address> wrote in message
    > water
    > > of

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@yahoospleen.com> wrote in
    message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > As for running the water intake from the fishtank, I think that it would
    > be
    > > a very bad idea. Even tanks with the best filters still miss particles
    of
    > > gunk, and over time, that would build up into a nice slimy coating on
    the
    > > inside of your cooling tubes.
    >
    > Ok, I'll keep it in mind, there are some extra filters you can get, some
    > just for water coolers.
    > Some gunk might be ok, as long as it's not too hard on the water pump, I
    > might just go for it.
    > Then just clean out my water cooler as needed.
    >
    > Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even when times are bad.
    >

    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > MC

    The slime build up starts to cause friction after a while, slowing down
    water flow. I'll try to get a picture of the pipes in my pond and show you.
    I suppose it wouldn't get too bad though, if you cleaned the tubes every
    other week.

    M C
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Hey man, what had you decided on the MB you were looking at?
    Me just wonders.
    Denny.

    > "dennis e strausser jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@yahoospleen.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > As for running the water intake from the fishtank, I think that it
    would
    > > be
    > > > a very bad idea. Even tanks with the best filters still miss
    particles
    > of
    > > > gunk, and over time, that would build up into a nice slimy coating on
    > the
    > > > inside of your cooling tubes.
    > >
    > > Ok, I'll keep it in mind, there are some extra filters you can get, some
    > > just for water coolers.
    > > Some gunk might be ok, as long as it's not too hard on the water pump,
    > > might just go for it.
    > > Then just clean out my water cooler as needed.
    > >
    > > Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even when times are bad.
    > >

    > > > HTH,
    > > >
    > > > MC
    >
    > The slime build up starts to cause friction after a while, slowing down
    > water flow. I'll try to get a picture of the pipes in my pond and show
    you.
    > I suppose it wouldn't get too bad though, if you cleaned the tubes every
    > other week.
    >
    > M C

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > Hey man, what had you decided on the MB you were looking at?
    > Me just wonders.
    > Denny.

    Yeah, I ended up ordering Soyo P41845PE v1.0 with a two year warantee. I
    read some reviews on it and a lot of positive things were said about it. It
    seems that I can get a pretty good overclock out of it too. It also fits my
    budget at the moment. I'll report back with some results when I get it and
    the 2.8 ghz chip.

    MC
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > "dennis e strausser jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Hey man, what had you decided on the MB you were looking at?
    > > Me just wonders.
    > > Denny.
    >
    > Yeah, I ended up ordering Soyo P41845PE v1.0 with a two year warantee. I
    > read some reviews on it and a lot of positive things were said about it.
    It
    > seems that I can get a pretty good overclock out of it too. It also fits
    my
    > budget at the moment. I'll report back with some results when I get it
    and
    > the 2.8 ghz chip.
    >
    > MC

    Cool, I hope it goes well.
    I just put a P4 Xeon cooler on my 2200+ It's fan that is.
    My Athlon stays around 40C Idle, I was still running Sisoftware Sandra
    Burn-in test
    while writing this. 45.5C It didn't get any warmer.
    Me thinks that's doing good, but then, you would think so wouldn't you.
    With a Intel Xeon Wind Tunnal Fan. HSF setup is Antec.
    I took off the fan that was on the Heatsink and put the Xeon fan on it..
    Kind of cool, and is..
    Denny. :-)

Overclocking