Pentium classic 166 @ 200MHz?

would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
just change it back to 166MHz.
But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
to damage it. Thanks for help

"Bracken" <no@spam.spam.spam> wrote in message
> would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
> just change it back to 166MHz.
> But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
> to damage it. Thanks for help

If you cool it adequately, it might do 200Mhz, but the die size on those is
still 0.35u, you might need to bump up the voltage

Bracken wrote:

> would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
> just change it back to 166MHz.
> But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate

I know someone who sells P166s as P200s :)
He says it's fine as long as you use a HSF (obviously) and thermal paste.

"Bracken" <no@spam.spam.spam> wrote in message
> would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
> just change it back to 166MHz.
> But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
> to damage it. Thanks for help

Why not get a nice shiney MMX chip off eBay for less than £1. then clock it
to 233MHz with the 1.5 x 66 setting.

The classic will overclock fine to that clock speed, just make sure you are
using paste and a moderate sized heat sink

hamman

Bracken <no@spam.spam.spam> wrote in message news:<40A371DC.3C8405B0@spam.spam.spam>...
> would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
> just change it back to 166MHz.
> But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
> to damage it. Thanks for help

FWIW I ran a pentium 166mhz mmx at 200mhz for about 3 years and
suffered no problems.

Been running my p166 at 200 for over 4 years now without extra cooling
or special paste. Works like a charm with the original P166 fan.

Go for it.

Locust

On Fri, 14 May 2004 01:02:20 +1200, Bracken <no@spam.spam.spam> wrote:

>would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
>just change it back to 166MHz.
>But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
>to damage it. Thanks for help

> > would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
> > just change it back to 166MHz.
> > But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
> > to damage it. Thanks for help
> >
> Why not get a nice shiney MMX chip off eBay for less than £1. then clock
it
> to 233MHz with the 1.5 x 66 setting.
>
> The classic will overclock fine to that clock speed, just make sure you
are
> using paste and a moderate sized heat sink

Yep. I ran a classic Pentium 150 at 200 with no problems for the best part
of a year. I can't remember which setings as it was ages ago but I remember
benchmarking like mad and being pretty pleased with myself. 200mhz was my
boards max speed and it wasn't MMX either, maybe the OP has the same kind of
set up.

Spizz

Anton Gysen wrote:

> Bracken wrote:
>
>> would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
>> just change it back to 166MHz.
>> But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
>

> I know someone who sells P166s as P200s :)

Then you know someone who is the reason why processors are multiplier
locked nowadays.

Hamman wrote:

> "Bracken" <no@spam.spam.spam> wrote in message
>
>>would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
>>just change it back to 166MHz.
>>But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
>>to damage it. Thanks for help
>>

> Why not get a nice shiney MMX chip off eBay for less than £1. then clock it
> to 233MHz with the 1.5 x 66 setting.

He can't do that if his motherboard is a 'pentium classic' motherboard
because the Pentium classic is a single 3.3 volts supply while the MMX is a
split plane supply with Vcore at 2.8.

> The classic will overclock fine to that clock speed, just make sure you are
> using paste and a moderate sized heat sink

It sure will. Just two days ago a friend of mine gave me a Compaq P166MMX
Deskpro system (absolutely complete, except the hard drive had been wiped)
he got out of the trash can behind a Walmart (I kid you not) and it
overclocks to 233, but it does take a fan on the heatsink. Just 'how
little' I couldn't say as I just slapped on something I had around and it's
surely overkill, but I wanted 'quiet' so I mated a low speed 80mm case fan
onto the passive HS Compaq had in there (after I re pasted it).

David Maynard wrote:
> Anton Gysen wrote:
>
>> Bracken wrote:
>>
>>> would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
>>> just change it back to 166MHz.
>>> But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
>>

>> I know someone who sells P166s as P200s :)
>

> Then you know someone who is the reason why processors are multiplier
> locked nowadays.

I should have been clearer, by P166s I meant whole machines with P166 CPUs.

Anton Gysen wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> Anton Gysen wrote:

>>> I know someone who sells P166s as P200s :)
>>

>> Then you know someone who is the reason why processors are multiplier
>> locked nowadays.
>

> I should have been clearer, by P166s I meant whole machines with P166 CPUs.

Still the same reason if he's telling them the P166 (CPU, machine, system,
whatever) 'is' a P200 (CPU, machine, system, whatever).

It's fine if he tells them "this is a P166 system that I've overclocked to
200" but otherwise it's dishonest.

David Maynard wrote:
> Anton Gysen wrote:
>
>> David Maynard wrote:

>>> Then you know someone who is the reason why processors are multiplier
>>> locked nowadays.
>>

>> I should have been clearer, by P166s I meant whole machines with P166
>> CPUs.
>

> Still the same reason if he's telling them the P166 (CPU, machine,
> system, whatever) 'is' a P200 (CPU, machine, system, whatever).
>

> It's fine if he tells them "this is a P166 system that I've overclocked
> to 200" but otherwise it's dishonest.

I agree. I would like to point out that I don't condone what he does. It
would be impossible to sell a P166 CPU as a P200 CPU, they have "i166"
carved into the CPU. Not particuarly easy to change that to "i200"!

Anton Gysen wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> Anton Gysen wrote:

>>> I should have been clearer, by P166s I meant whole machines with P166
>>> CPUs.
>>

>> Still the same reason if he's telling them the P166 (CPU, machine,
>> system, whatever) 'is' a P200 (CPU, machine, system, whatever).
>>

>> It's fine if he tells them "this is a P166 system that I've
>> overclocked to 200" but otherwise it's dishonest.
>

> I agree. I would like to point out that I don't condone what he does. It
> would be impossible to sell a P166 CPU as a P200 CPU, they have "i166"
> carved into the CPU. Not particuarly easy to change that to "i200"!

You'd be surprised the lengths remarkers went to.

Of course, trusting souls that they are, most people don't rip open the
case, peel off the heatsink, and peep at the processor markings either.

David Maynard wrote:

> Anton Gysen wrote:
>
>> David Maynard wrote:

>>> Still the same reason if he's telling them the P166 (CPU, machine,
>>> system, whatever) 'is' a P200 (CPU, machine, system, whatever).
>>>

>>> It's fine if he tells them "this is a P166 system that I've
>>> overclocked to 200" but otherwise it's dishonest.
>>

>> I agree. I would like to point out that I don't condone what he does.
>> It would be impossible to sell a P166 CPU as a P200 CPU, they have
>> "i166" carved into the CPU. Not particuarly easy to change that to
>> "i200"!
>

> You'd be surprised the lengths remarkers went to.

You seen very knowledgeable in this topic, are you hiding anything? :)

> Of course, trusting souls that they are, most people don't rip open the
> case, peel off the heatsink, and peep at the processor markings either.

Indeed. But of course, all they need to do is run a program like CPU-Z
to find out the true nature of the CPU.

Anton Gysen wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> Anton Gysen wrote:

>>> I agree. I would like to point out that I don't condone what he does.
>>> It would be impossible to sell a P166 CPU as a P200 CPU, they have
>>> "i166" carved into the CPU. Not particuarly easy to change that to
>>> "i200"!
>>

>> You'd be surprised the lengths remarkers went to.
>

> You seen very knowledgeable in this topic, are you hiding anything? :)

Hehe. Nope. Just read a fair amount about it at the time.

>> Of course, trusting souls that they are, most people don't rip open
>> the case, peel off the heatsink, and peep at the processor markings
>> either.
>

> Indeed. But of course, all they need to do is run a program like CPU-Z
> to find out the true nature of the CPU.

You keep changing the goal posts. First you say it's marked and when I
address that you throw out 'another way'. Yes, they could; if they knew
about it. But the point is that people shouldn't have to do an
'investigation' to see if they got what they were told they got; not that
"there's a way."

That 'they can find out' is what you should be telling the fellow who's
doing it.

David Maynard wrote:

> Anton Gysen wrote:
>
> > Bracken wrote:
> >
> >> would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
> >> just change it back to 166MHz.
> >> But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
> >

> > I know someone who sells P166s as P200s :)

That's pretty silly because it has the CPU's speed clearly printed on the
underside of the CPU.

> Then you know someone who is the reason why processors are multiplier
> locked nowadays.

Too true. It is a pain having to run a CPU at a lower FSB speed than it should,
for no reason than it's locked.

> > He says it's fine as long as you use a HSF (obviously) and thermal paste.

But it is dishonest.

This computer won't even turn on when the P166 is set to 200MHz. It runs fine
at 180MHz, but that's no advantage because the FSB has to be set to 10% slower.

> David Maynard wrote:
>
> > Anton Gysen wrote:

> > > I know someone who sells P166s as P200s :)
>
> That's pretty silly because it has the CPU's speed clearly printed on the
> underside of the CPU.
>
> > Then you know someone who is the reason why processors are multiplier
> > locked nowadays.
>
> Too true. It is a pain having to run a CPU at a lower FSB speed than it
should,
> for no reason than it's locked.
>

> > > He says it's fine as long as you use a HSF (obviously) and thermal
paste.

> But it is dishonest.
>
> This computer won't even turn on when the P166 is set to 200MHz. It runs
fine
> at 180MHz, but that's no advantage because the FSB has to be set to 10%
slower.

did you try raising the vcore?

hamman

Bracken wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>

>>Anton Gysen wrote:

>>>I know someone who sells P166s as P200s :)
>

> That's pretty silly because it has the CPU's speed clearly printed on the
> underside of the CPU.
>

>>Then you know someone who is the reason why processors are multiplier
>>locked nowadays.
>

> Too true. It is a pain having to run a CPU at a lower FSB speed than it should,
> for no reason than it's locked.
>

>>>He says it's fine as long as you use a HSF (obviously) and thermal paste.
>

> But it is dishonest.
>
> This computer won't even turn on when the P166 is set to 200MHz. It runs fine
> at 180MHz, but that's no advantage because the FSB has to be set to 10% slower.

You might want to run some benchmarks because the relationship between FSB
and performance is not the same on the older systems as it is on the newer
ones for the reason that the memory is not synchronous (SDRAM); it's either
FPM or EDO.

FPM and EDO timing is 'access time' PER access. I.E. usually 70 or 60
nanoseconds. At 60ns that's roughly 16.7 million per second, much less than
the 66MHz FSB. So, unlike SDRAM that runs at the FSB rate, changing the FSB
has little effect on how fast FPM/EDO RAM is accessed.

If the motherboard has cache, however, that would be affected, depending on
how fast the motherboard cache is. And it's possible that the slower FSB
could be compensated for by tightening the cache speed setting in BIOS
(I.E. might run with a faster setting at 60Mhz than at 66.6) which could
offset the lower FSB speed.

Many motherboards had no L2 cache at all so the issue is moot with those.

If, however, it was optimized for 66.6 MHz when made (I.E. cache timing
designed for 1 clock access [15ns cache] and RAM set to an even clock cycle
of 4) then the lower FSB would probably be hit.

That difference in system RAM and motherboard cache, btw, also means you
don't get as much performance increase per CPU MHz as one might expect. On
modern processors it scales almost linearly with CPU speed since the on-die
cache speed goes up along with the processor clock but with motherboard
cache it stays at the motherboard speed, which results in a 20% increase of
processor speed, from 166 to 200, being only about a 10% performance
increase. You get about half the effect. Whereas with, say a P-III 700,
increasing processor speed 33% improves performance by about 33% because
the L2 cache is on-die.

Hamman wrote:

> "Bracken" <no@spam.spam.spam> wrote in message
>
>>David Maynard wrote:

> hate

>>That's pretty silly because it has the CPU's speed clearly printed on the
>>underside of the CPU.
>>

>>>Then you know someone who is the reason why processors are multiplier
>>>locked nowadays.
>>
>>Too true. It is a pain having to run a CPU at a lower FSB speed than it
>
> should,
>
>>for no reason than it's locked.

> paste.
>
>>But it is dishonest.
>>
>>This computer won't even turn on when the P166 is set to 200MHz. It runs
>
> fine
>
>>at 180MHz, but that's no advantage because the FSB has to be set to 10%
>
> slower.
>

> did you try raising the vcore?
>
> hamman

If his is like the P166 Classic I have that won't help either.

"Bluehound" <tcr18h@aol.com> wrote in message
> Bracken <no@spam.spam.spam> wrote in message
> > would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
> > just change it back to 166MHz.
> > But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
> > to damage it. Thanks for help
>
> FWIW I ran a pentium 166mhz mmx at 200mhz for about 3 years and
> suffered no problems.
This thread is a bit long, but I'm replying anyway.
Board = Asus SP97-V
CPU = Same (166 MHz)
Speed I Had one up to, and stable = 233 MHz
Running it @ 200 MHz I'm sure will be just fine, since that I had one up to
233..
Denny. :)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote in message
> Bluehound wrote:
> > Bracken <no@spam.spam.spam> wrote in message
> >> would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
> >> just change it back to 166MHz.
> >> But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd
> >> hate to damage it. Thanks for help
> >
> > FWIW I ran a pentium 166mhz mmx at 200mhz for about 3 years and
> > suffered no problems.
>
> And I had a P1 200MMX at 249Mhz (83 x 3) stable for over a year until it
got
> too slow for me and I upgraded.
> --
> ~misfit~

I managed to run 3 different 200MMX CPUs at 83.3 X 3.5 on a TX board, but
then the keyboard stopped working with this board (maybe the AT connector
?), and i scraped the SDrams into another machine. I could run it with EDO,
but had too little available at the time for a decent machine (2x8+2x4)... a
P166MMX would go to 208 on that board, but it was (aparently) locked...
Before that I had P133 (non MMX) that would just not accept multipliers
above 2 (but but accept 1x, 1.5x and 2x) could only underclock it in it's
triton (FX) board

some p166's were actually p200's relabeled by intel
"Bracken" <no@spam.spam.spam> wrote in message
> would this work? I'm not concerned about if it is unstable, as I can
> just change it back to 166MHz.
> But I want to know whether this risks damaging the CPU or not? I'd hate
> to damage it. Thanks for help

If the chip manufacturer does it, it's not relabeling, it's LABELING. ALL
CPU's of the same family are produced in the same way, then tested and
sorted by how well each chip meets the specifications. THEN, for current
Intel CPU's, they are multiplier locked to the desired speed, and so
labeled. The speed chosen is based on the test results AND marketing needs.
Intel began to lock clock multipliers because OTHER parties were relabeling,
which in that case is fraud. This entire newsgroup is based on the fact
that nearly every CPU produced has a significant margin of performance that
can be exploited by overclocking. Relabeling is fraudulent, and is
especially hard on overclockers, because a relabeled chip has already used
much of what we want.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,