Memory timing question?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi,

Just looking for a little help on understanding tRAS settings. I found this
article
http://www.mushkin.com/mushkin/pop-up/latencies.htm

that states

Any tRAS setting lower tRCD + CAS + 2 cycles will allow the memory
controller to close the page “in your face!” over and again and that will
cause a performance hit because of a truncated transfer that needs to be
repeated.........................

After reading numerous posts I don't find many people following these
recommendations. Has anyone tested tRAS setting changes alone on there
system and could confirm whether or not this is a good rule of thumb?

Thanks in advance
John

"John" <none@jumo.non> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> Just looking for a little help on understanding tRAS settings. I found
> this article
> http://www.mushkin.com/mushkin/pop-up/latencies.htm
>
> that states
>
> Any tRAS setting lower tRCD + CAS + 2 cycles will allow the memory
> controller to close the page “in your face!” over and again and that
> will cause a performance hit because of a truncated transfer that
> needs to be repeated.........................
>
> After reading numerous posts I don't find many people following these
> recommendations. Has anyone tested tRAS setting changes alone on there
> system and could confirm whether or not this is a good rule of thumb?
>
> Thanks in advance
> John

I read/wondered same. My Kingston is supposed to be 2-3-2-6-1, but 3+2+2
ain't quite 6.

--
Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)