Need some advice...

Hey.
I need some advice here...
Heres my setup at default:

P4 2,8 GHz HT 800MHz (14x200)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
OCZ 4000 Gold Dual 512MBx2 (2,5-4-4-8-4)
520W High quality power supply...
CPU temperature @36C idle / 41C 100%load
North-/South-bridge is cooled with copper sinks and 40mm fans
AMI Bios updated with Asus EZ Bios updater

Everything is stable, Prime95 ran for 7 hours along with Seti@home...
Memtest+ ran all tests 4 times, no errors...
Long story short, everything works AOK...

Then I start fiddling with Bios.. This Bios is new to me....
I gradually rise FSB towards 250 running tests and benchmarks.
Everything is dandy, but when I reach 250 the system reboots
after 7 minutes running Prime95 or PCMark04.
What can it be?
CPU voltage is on 1,7V
VDimm is at 2,85 (wich is the maximum this Bios will allow)
If I set RAM SPD on auto it runs at pc166 333 MHz.. I set it
to Manual and choose between 266, 333 and 400... I want 500!!!
I set it on 400 and now Memtest+ shows RAM at 500MHz... Strange...
But the fact remains, its not stable... I think the VDimm is to low at
2,85. It should be at 3,00V...
There's lots of other options I dont know anything about like:
Under Jumperfree settings in Bios theres a tab called "Performance Mode"
wich is set to Auto. Should this be changed? I can choose Auto, Standard
and Turbo...
Under Chipset theres "Performance Acceleration Mode" set to Auto
- DRAM Idle Timer set to Auto
- DRAM Refresh Rate set to Auto

What should I do? Is it the V on the ram? If so, do I have to change the
motherboard?
This is frustrating...
By the way, "Graphics Apperture Size" is set to 128MB. Is the apperture the
same as the Graphic cards RAM? I have a Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro 128...
Whats "ICH Delayed Transaction"?

--
.hvM
.... esroN samohT

You may have reached the max that CPU is capable of. Most 2.8s (most
assuredly not all) that I've seen numbers on max out around 245fsb, give or
take a couple of points. If your CPU is capable of more 1.7v might be too
much. Or you might consider extreme cooling for your cpu like phase change
or a pelt.

BigStan" <stanguinn@camcast.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> You may have reached the max that CPU is capable of. Most 2.8s (most
> assuredly not all) that I've seen numbers on max out around 245fsb, give
or
> take a couple of points. If your CPU is capable of more 1.7v might be too
> much.

Ill try lowering it...
Most people I've read about has reached 3,6+...The CPU never
exceeds 43C acording to Motherboard Monitor... Its a very well-cooled
system considering its air cooled...

>Or you might consider extreme cooling for your cpu like phase change
> or a pelt.

Water is my next project, phase will have to wait. Never liked peltier's...

--
.hvM
.... esroN samohT

It's just the "luck of the draw". I've seen some 3.6s and I've seen some 3.7
& 3.8. The 2.8 that I have in another rig won't do over 3.4 no matter what I
do to it. You never know 'til you jump in and try. With 4000 mem, I really
doubt you are pushing the limit of your mem. So it prolly is an issue of
balancing the fsb with the Vcore until you get the most out of the cpu. You
will hit a point with air cooling where it doesn't matter how much Vcore you
apply, the cpu just won't go any more. You can also apply too much Vcore
where the internal heat it creates keeps the cpu from working properly..

"BigStan" <stanguinn@comcast.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> It's just the "luck of the draw". I've seen some 3.6s and I've seen some
3.7
> & 3.8. The 2.8 that I have in another rig won't do over 3.4 no matter what
> do to it. You never know 'til you jump in and try. With 4000 mem, I
really
> doubt you are pushing the limit of your mem. So it prolly is an issue of
> balancing the fsb with the Vcore until you get the most out of the cpu.
You
> will hit a point with air cooling where it doesn't matter how much Vcore
you
> apply, the cpu just won't go any more. You can also apply too much Vcore
> where the internal heat it creates keeps the cpu from working properly..

I pushed the Vcore up to 1,8V and its rock stable!
Spec:
P4 2,8@3,5 (14x250) 1,80VCore
Ram @ 1:1 DDR500 Cas2,5 2,85V
CPU Temp @34C idle @45C full load
Case Temp @28C idle @30C full load

Its not even loud...
--
.hvM
.... esroN samohT

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thomas Norse wrote:

> "BigStan" <stanguinn@comcast.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > It's just the "luck of the draw". I've seen some 3.6s and I've seen some
> 3.7
> > & 3.8. The 2.8 that I have in another rig won't do over 3.4 no matter what
> > do to it. You never know 'til you jump in and try. With 4000 mem, I
> really
> > doubt you are pushing the limit of your mem. So it prolly is an issue of
> > balancing the fsb with the Vcore until you get the most out of the cpu.
> You
> > will hit a point with air cooling where it doesn't matter how much Vcore
> you
> > apply, the cpu just won't go any more. You can also apply too much Vcore
> > where the internal heat it creates keeps the cpu from working properly..
>
> I pushed the Vcore up to 1,8V and its rock stable!
> Spec:
> P4 2,8@3,5 (14x250) 1,80VCore
> Ram @ 1:1 DDR500 Cas2,5 2,85V
> CPU Temp @34C idle @45C full load
> Case Temp @28C idle @30C full load
>
> Its not even loud...
> --
> .hvM
> ... esroN samohT

Ever hear of "Sudden Northwood P4 death syndrome" .
Supposedly cause by running > 1.7v

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

")-()-(" wrote:

> Thomas Norse wrote:
>
> > "BigStan" <stanguinn@comcast.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > > It's just the "luck of the draw". I've seen some 3.6s and I've seen some
> > 3.7
> > > & 3.8. The 2.8 that I have in another rig won't do over 3.4 no matter what
> > > do to it. You never know 'til you jump in and try. With 4000 mem, I
> > really
> > > doubt you are pushing the limit of your mem. So it prolly is an issue of
> > > balancing the fsb with the Vcore until you get the most out of the cpu.
> > You
> > > will hit a point with air cooling where it doesn't matter how much Vcore
> > you
> > > apply, the cpu just won't go any more. You can also apply too much Vcore
> > > where the internal heat it creates keeps the cpu from working properly..
> >
> > I pushed the Vcore up to 1,8V and its rock stable!
> > Spec:
> > P4 2,8@3,5 (14x250) 1,80VCore
> > Ram @ 1:1 DDR500 Cas2,5 2,85V
> > CPU Temp @34C idle @45C full load
> > Case Temp @28C idle @30C full load
> >
> > Its not even loud...
> > --
> > .hvM
> > ... esroN samohT
>
> Ever hear of "Sudden Northwood P4 death syndrome" .
> Supposedly cause by running > 1.7v

Also, there is no slower CPU than a dead CPU

On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:25:02 GMT, "Thomas Norse"
<dvint.oppinion@c2i.net> wrote:

>"BigStan" <stanguinn@comcast.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> It's just the "luck of the draw". I've seen some 3.6s and I've seen some
>3.7
>> & 3.8. The 2.8 that I have in another rig won't do over 3.4 no matter what
>> do to it. You never know 'til you jump in and try. With 4000 mem, I
>really
>> doubt you are pushing the limit of your mem. So it prolly is an issue of
>> balancing the fsb with the Vcore until you get the most out of the cpu.
>You
>> will hit a point with air cooling where it doesn't matter how much Vcore
>you
>> apply, the cpu just won't go any more. You can also apply too much Vcore
>> where the internal heat it creates keeps the cpu from working properly..
>

>I pushed the Vcore up to 1,8V and its rock stable!

Dude that WAY to high a voltage for your P4 (you shouldn't go past 1.7
V), And remember settting 1.7V in BIOS is actually ~1.725-1.75V at
idle already (Asus overvolts all their P4-C800 boards ~ .25 - .5V ).

My P4 3.0c cpu will only do up to 3.69Ghz rock stable at 1.65V
(246FSB), but I'd rather leave it there than push it past 1.7V!

KaReD

CPU: 3.0c @ 3.69ghz - 5:4 timing @1.65V
MOBO: Asus P4C800-Deluxe (Bios 1016)
RAM: 2x512mb Corsair PC3500 XMS 2-2-2-5 @ 2.65V
VCARD: ATI Radeon 9800PRO 430/405 (w/Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer)
MONITORS: Samsung 172X 17" LCD (12ms), Samsung 955DF 19" CRT
SOUND: Audigy 2 ZS w/CL Inspire 6.1 Speakers Or Zalman ZM-RS6F
Headphones
DRIVES: 2x120GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA (Raid 0), LG4082B 8xDVD
Burner, 120GB Seagate Ext. HDD
POWER: 520Watt Vantec Stealth
COOLING: Corsair Hydrocool 200 Water Cooled (CPU), MCX159 (N-bridge)
OTHER: Matrix Orbital MX212 LCD, Nexus Panel NXP-101, Nexus Baybus
NXP-201
TEMPS: 27c Idle / 36c Full Load