Overclocking Questions

Hi All,

Have been lurking in this group for a while,
getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
system.

I have :-

P4 3Gig
ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted - Akasa
AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4

I have noticed that some people when taking about
memory speed mention
(high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
(lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
What does this mean.?

What would be the best recommendations of
overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to 3.4Gig

CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C full
load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.

Any help Appreciated.

Thankx

--

Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)

Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
Virus Database: 4361 - Release Date: 18/05/2004.

"Snøøp¥" <snoopy2004¬THE@CR@P¬blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Have been lurking in this group for a while,
> getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
> system.
>
> I have :-
>
> P4 3Gig
> ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
> 2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted - Akasa
Huh? Speed please, it can help on an overclock for better speed.
> AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
> CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4
>
> I have noticed that some people when taking about
> memory speed mention
> (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
> (lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
> What does this mean.?
>
> What would be the best recommendations of
> overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to 3.4Gig
>
> CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C full
> load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
> Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.
>
> Any help Appreciated.
>
> Thankx

Turn up your FSB a little bit, say to 202 or 208, then see if it's stable.
Then just turn it up little by little till you hit the speed you want.
You should be able to hit the speed of 3.4 GHz without a boost in v-core.
With a better PSU And Video Card, I've had this P4 2.6 up to 3.4 GHz
But I didn't stay stable, had to push CPU-V-Core to 1.68 Volts.
I wouldn't try it on air though.

I wonder something, but I think you may not be able to tell me.
Just how far once I got my Dual Xeon 2.66 GHz together, how far I can get
the thing...
Denny. :)

Snøøp¥ wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Have been lurking in this group for a while,
> getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
> system.
>
> I have :-
>
> P4 3Gig
> ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
> 2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted - Akasa
> AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
> CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4
>
> I have noticed that some people when taking about
> memory speed mention
> (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
> (lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
> What does this mean.?

With P4 systems you can set the bus clock to the processor and the memory
speed independently, set by the ratio you see. I.E. the 5/4 or 1/1 (and
others).

Note that processor speed is the processor multiplier (fixed and not
changeable) times the processor bus clock.

Now, ideally you want them both at the fastest speed, which would be 1/1,
but what if the fastest bus clock the processor can handle is faster than
what the memory can run at? Well, use a 5/4 ratio so the memory is running
at 80% of the processor bus clock rate. That way you can increase the
processor speed even more while keeping the memory at a speed it can handle.

The problem is that lowering memory speed lowers overall performance so,
when the amount of 'extra' CPU speed you can get from increasing the bus
clock, that forces one to use 5/4, is relatively small it's possible for
the lower ratio to result in lower overall performance even though the
processor is running faster because the slight CPU increase doesn't offset
the lower memory speed. I.E. consider a case where you could get 5% more
CPU speed but by going to 5/4 you've lost about 16% of the memory speed
(compared to before you did the 5% increase).

It's not easy to calculate that performance tradeoff, as it's not a
straight Mhz to Mhz ratio, but it's fairly simple to run some benchmarks to
see how the two tradeoff against each other in your particular CPU/memory
combination (and the kind of applications you intend to use it for).

A more 'conventional' reason for the memory ratio is so people can use
slower memory. Like using PC2700 with a 200 MHz FSB (800MHz data rate for a
P4) processor. 5/4 would work fine for that since PC2700 (166.6 MHz) is
about 83% of the 200MHz processor bus clock. And here there is no
'performance tradeoff' to consider because it simply ain't going to work
1/1. (well, the tradeoff would be in using PC2700 in the first place: as in
you already had it, the reason I'm doing it, or a PC builder was doing it
for lower cost.)

> What would be the best recommendations of
> overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to 3.4Gig

For a 10%, or so, overclock you can probably stay with the ratio it's at
now. If not you're definitely in the range where it might not be worth the
extra CPU speed, depending on what bus clock rate forced the lower ratio.

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
Snøøp¥ wrote:

> [...]

you already had it, the reason I'm doing it, or a PC builder was doing it
for lower cost.)

> What would be the best recommendations of
> overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to 3.4Gig

For a 10%, or so, overclock you can probably stay with the ratio it's at
now. If not you're definitely in the range where it might not be worth the
extra CPU speed, depending on what bus clock rate forced the lower ratio.

> CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C full
> load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
> Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.
>
> Any help Appreciated.
>
> Thankx
>

> --
>

> Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)
>
> Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

> Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
> Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
> Virus Database: 4361 - Release Date: 18/05/2004.

David Maynard knows what he's talking about much better then I do,
so listin to him, if I spelled all that right, tired & drunk don't help, me
thinks it's time to crash soon.... Or at least for 8 or so hours..
Denny. :)

wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Have been lurking in this group for a while,
> > getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
> > system.
> >
> > I have :-
> >
> > P4 3Gig
> > ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
> > 2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted -
Akasa
> Huh? Speed please, it can help on an overclock
for better speed.
> > AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
> > CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4
> >
> > I have noticed that some people when taking
about
> > memory speed mention
> > (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
> > (lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
> > What does this mean.?
> >
> > What would be the best recommendations of
> > overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to
3.4Gig

> > CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C
full
> > load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
> > Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.
> >
> > Any help Appreciated.
> >
> > Thankx
> >

> Turn up your FSB a little bit, say to 202 or
208, then see if it's stable.
> Then just turn it up little by little till you
hit the speed you want.
> You should be able to hit the speed of 3.4 GHz
without a boost in v-core.
> With a better PSU And Video Card, I've had this
P4 2.6 up to 3.4 GHz
> But I didn't stay stable, had to push
CPU-V-Core to 1.68 Volts.
> I wouldn't try it on air though.
>
> I wonder something, but I think you may not be
able to tell me.
> Just how far once I got my Dual Xeon 2.66 GHz
together, how far I can get
> the thing...
> Denny. :)

Thanks for both of your replies, I took davids
advice, and now at the moment have FSB at 216, all
is fine, so will gradually
ramp it up to about 230 and see what happens, what
stage would I need to up the VCore voltage, or do
I not need to do that.?

Thanks

--

> "Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net>
> wrote in message
> > "Snøøp¥" <snoopy2004¬THE@CR@P¬blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote in message
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Have been lurking in this group for a while,
> > > getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
> > > system.
> > >
> > > I have :-
> > >
> > > P4 3Gig
> > > ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
> > > 2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted -
> Akasa
> > Huh? Speed please, it can help on an overclock
> for better speed.
> > > AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
> > > CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4
> > >
> > > I have noticed that some people when taking
> about
> > > memory speed mention
> > > (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
> > > (lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
> > > What does this mean.?
> > >
> > > What would be the best recommendations of
> > > overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to
> 3.4Gig
> > >
> > > CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C
> full
> > > load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
> > > Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.
> > >
> > > Any help Appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thankx
> > >

> > Turn up your FSB a little bit, say to 202 or
> 208, then see if it's stable.
> > Then just turn it up little by little till you
> hit the speed you want.
> > You should be able to hit the speed of 3.4 GHz
> without a boost in v-core.
> > With a better PSU And Video Card, I've had this
> P4 2.6 up to 3.4 GHz
> > But I didn't stay stable, had to push
> CPU-V-Core to 1.68 Volts.
> > I wouldn't try it on air though.
> >
> > I wonder something, but I think you may not be
> able to tell me.
> > Just how far once I got my Dual Xeon 2.66 GHz
> together, how far I can get
> > the thing...
> > Denny. :)
> >

> Thanks for both of your replies, I took davids
> advice, and now at the moment have FSB at 216, all
> is fine, so will gradually
> ramp it up to about 230 and see what happens, what
> stage would I need to up the VCore voltage, or do
> I not need to do that.?

I'm not sure if I could answer that, reason is, is the multiplier differs
from a
2.6 GHz cpu so as to still have a 200 MHz FSB
I have to turn mine up @ around 3.1 GHz or a little higher, a 3.06 GHz CPU
is a bit different.
You'll only know when you hit an FSB that becomes unstable.
And you won't be able to go much further then that without better cooling.
I'm using water, but for the overclock I'm using now, it's overkill.
Reason for it is this.
I get a ram bandwith of 3 Gigs, I do it for better / faster encoding.

That's why I want to finish my PC-DL Deluxe MB
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040514/e7505-chipsatz-13.html
When trying to find stuff on it, I keep finding people who get these Really
Sweet Video Cards.
But it's not the point, or @ least not the one I'm trying to reach. I could
care less if my Video runs with
less then 32MB of ram, 16MB Voodoo would be good enough there.
Sorry to ramble on there.
Something else I've noticed with people trying to Overclock one of these
boards.
They put DDR333 in them, & DDR333 is the max the boards can take, then
complain they can't push them very
far, of course not.
I've found this a problem with my Single P4 MB Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro
It will run DDR400, but you can't push it to run much faster then DDR400
About 412 or 414 is about all I could get without my bios giving me a ram
error.

If you want a really nice Overclock, you should've got a 2.8 GHz CPU.
Nice ram, but not too fast, since that your overclocking the stuff.
If your board takes max of DDR 400, get something below it.
DDR333, if you can put DDR533 in it, then get DDR400.

Denny. :)

Snøøp¥ wrote:

> "Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net>
> wrote in message
>
>>"Snøøp¥" <snoopy2004¬THE@CR@P¬blueyonder.co.uk>
>
> wrote in message

>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Have been lurking in this group for a while,
>>>getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
>>>system.
>>>
>>>I have :-
>>>
>>>P4 3Gig
>>>ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
>>>2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted -
>
> Akasa
>
>> Huh? Speed please, it can help on an overclock
>
> for better speed.
>
>>>AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
>>>CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4
>>>
>>>I have noticed that some people when taking
>
> about
>
>>>memory speed mention
>>>(high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
>>>(lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
>>>What does this mean.?
>>>
>>>What would be the best recommendations of
>>>overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to
>
> 3.4Gig
>
>>>CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C
>
> full
>
>>>load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
>>>Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.
>>>
>>>Any help Appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thankx
>>>

>>Turn up your FSB a little bit, say to 202 or
>
> 208, then see if it's stable.
>
>> Then just turn it up little by little till you
>
> hit the speed you want.
>
>>You should be able to hit the speed of 3.4 GHz
>
> without a boost in v-core.
>
>>With a better PSU And Video Card, I've had this
>
> P4 2.6 up to 3.4 GHz
>
>> But I didn't stay stable, had to push
>
> CPU-V-Core to 1.68 Volts.
>
>> I wouldn't try it on air though.
>>
>>I wonder something, but I think you may not be
>
> able to tell me.
>
>> Just how far once I got my Dual Xeon 2.66 GHz
>
> together, how far I can get
>
>>the thing...
>>Denny. :)
>>

> Thanks for both of your replies, I took davids
> advice, and now at the moment have FSB at 216, all
> is fine, so will gradually
> ramp it up to about 230 and see what happens, what
> stage would I need to up the VCore voltage, or do
> I not need to do that.?

THe simple explanation is you increase the FSB till it becomes unstable and
then try increasing Vcore to see if that will bring it back to stability.
If it does then you can try increasing the FSB some more, till it becomes
unstable and you can try increasing Vcore some more... etc.

Eventually you run into either needing more Vcore than the processor can
handle without self-destructing or it simply doesn't 'help' any more (Or
you exceed the chipset's ability to operate that fast, or the memory
[change ratio], etc.).

The hard part is running sufficient tests to ensure it really is stable
(and determining what's causing the instability if it isn't) and knowing
how far you can push Vcore.

> Thanks
>
> --
>

> Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)
>
> Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

> Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
> Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
> Virus Database: 4361 - Release Date: 18/05/2004.

"Snøøp¥" <snoopy2004¬THE@CR@P¬blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Have been lurking in this group for a while,
> getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
> system.
>
> I have :-
>
> P4 3Gig
> ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
> 2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted - Akasa
> AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
> CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4
>
> I have noticed that some people when taking about
> memory speed mention
> (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
> (lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
> What does this mean.?
>
> What would be the best recommendations of
> overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to 3.4Gig
>
> CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C full
> load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
> Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.
>
> Any help Appreciated.
>
> Thankx
>

> --
>

> Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)
>
> Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

> Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
> Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
> Virus Database: 4361 - Release Date: 18/05/2004.

See also the article "P4P800 overclock advice please" of 17-05 and my reply
of 18-05:

"That's the dilemma while overclocking...
Should you privilege CPU speed (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4) or memory
speed (lower fsb and mem at 1:1) ?
It all depends of what you want to do with your pc.
For cpu-intensive apps like video and image editing, you'd better choose the
first option. Your rendering times will be significantly reduced. For some
games, you'd better take the second option. For office apps, you will not
notice any difference, whatever the option"

"ElJerid" <s.vanderhaeghen.nospam@pandora.be> wrote in message

> "Snøøp¥" <snoopy2004¬THE@CR@P¬blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Have been lurking in this group for a while,
> > getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
> > system.
> >
> > I have :-
> >
> > P4 3Gig
> > ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
> > 2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted - Akasa
> > AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
> > CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4
> >
> > I have noticed that some people when taking about
> > memory speed mention
> > (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
> > (lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
> > What does this mean.?
> >
> > What would be the best recommendations of
> > overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to 3.4Gig
> >
> > CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C full
> > load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
> > Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.
> >
> > Any help Appreciated.
> >
> > Thankx
> >

> > --
> >

> > Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)
> >
> > Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

> > Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
> > Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
> > Virus Database: 4361 - Release Date: 18/05/2004.
> >

> See also the article "P4P800 overclock advice please" of 17-05 and my
reply
> of 18-05:
>
> "That's the dilemma while overclocking...
> Should you privilege CPU speed (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4) or memory
> speed (lower fsb and mem at 1:1) ?
> It all depends of what you want to do with your pc.
> For cpu-intensive apps like video and image editing, you'd better choose
the
> first option. Your rendering times will be significantly reduced. For some
> games, you'd better take the second option. For office apps, you will not
> notice any difference, whatever the option"
>

> > David Maynard <<
Said something about the max V-Core of the (Northwood) Core, It's somewhere
around 2.something
I think it might be 2.8 Volts. I think You'll most probably hit GHz for
GHz, a point where turning up vcore
no longer helps. I Have no Idea when you'll hit this point, I'm guessing
1.65Vcore or 1.68Vcore & 3.7 GHz or higher.
Where I read the (Northwood)'s Core Voltage, http://www.intel.com Surf
around their site.
It's there, but I cant say as if I remember how to find it.
Ah, Oops. One last thing, if your going to go this far, I would look into
better cooling then just air.
Unless your going to have 8+ side case fans all blowing in. + 2 High Power
Fans blowing out the back.
And extra space on front where cd-dvd drives go.
This is to let all that air go somewhere.
I did some of this kind of stuff to my Athlon System, & I guess it's also
time I updated my comcast dot net site too.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstrausser33
Please note, I don't use the case in the P4 Pics anymore, I also don't use
SCSI anymore.
Not like I don't like SCSI or anything, SCSI is nice, you can put up to 7
HDD's or DVD/CD-ROM drives on just one.
IDE it's no more then 2
Hm, I'm wrong. The SCSI Drives I was using, @ least the HP Drives. (IBM)
With a HP Sticker
over top, takes less power then the IDE's I have now. I did the math.
One of the SCSI Drives = Only (10.5 Watts) My Maxtor's use closer to 15
Watts.
Why did I bring this up? PSU, You need to be sure you have enough power for
what your doing too.
Other Reason, I always thought my SCSI Drives took more power.
Please note, HD's do not like getting hot. An a overclock can cause them
to get hot, and
@ times, they will cut out on you, most times without warning.
Anyways, there I went again, rambling on about things you might not even
care about.
You have a good board for Overclocking, might as well use it.
Denny. :)

Denny. :)

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
> "ElJerid" <s.vanderhaeghen.nospam@pandora.be> wrote in message
>
>>"Snøøp¥" <snoopy2004¬THE@CR@P¬blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Have been lurking in this group for a while,
>>>getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
>>>system.
>>>
>>>I have :-
>>>
>>>P4 3Gig
>>>ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
>>>2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted - Akasa
>>>AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
>>>CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4
>>>
>>>I have noticed that some people when taking about
>>>memory speed mention
>>>(high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
>>>(lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
>>>What does this mean.?
>>>
>>>What would be the best recommendations of
>>>overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to 3.4Gig
>>>
>>>CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C full
>>>load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
>>>Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.
>>>
>>>Any help Appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thankx
>>>

>>>--
>>>

>>>Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)
>>>
>>>Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

>>>Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
>>>Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
>>>Virus Database: 4361 - Release Date: 18/05/2004.
>>>

>>See also the article "P4P800 overclock advice please" of 17-05 and my
>
> reply
>
>>of 18-05:
>>
>>"That's the dilemma while overclocking...
>>Should you privilege CPU speed (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4) or memory
>>speed (lower fsb and mem at 1:1) ?
>>It all depends of what you want to do with your pc.
>>For cpu-intensive apps like video and image editing, you'd better choose
>
> the
>
>>first option. Your rendering times will be significantly reduced. For some
>>games, you'd better take the second option. For office apps, you will not
>>notice any difference, whatever the option"
>>

>>>David Maynard <<
>
> Said something about the max V-Core of the (Northwood) Core, It's somewhere
> around 2.something

Definitely NOT 2. something.

> I think it might be 2.8 Volts.

Instant death. Fortunately, no P4 motherboard is even going to let you
select something like 2.8V Vcore, no even manually.

The range for all defined Northwood VID combinations is 1.1V to 1.55V and
the absolute maximum that the VID bits can possibly specify is 1.85V. There
are no more 'code' choices above that. Can't 'do' it.

I.E. there are 5 code bits. VID0 thru VID4.

11111 is 1.100
00000 is 1.850

Everything else is between 1.1 and 1.85

(Which, for historical perspective, is why those original socket 423 P4
overclocking boards that everyone was bitching about because they wouldn't
go over 1.85V for a 1.7V Vcore P4 only allowed 1.85V. There ain't no VID
codes to TELL the VRM anything more than 1.85V.

One could, of course, design a motherboard any way they please but then it
wouldn't be using standard parts in compliance with the reference design.)

> I think You'll most probably hit GHz for
> GHz, a point where turning up vcore
> no longer helps. I Have no Idea when you'll hit this point, I'm guessing
> 1.65Vcore or 1.68Vcore & 3.7 GHz or higher.
> Where I read the (Northwood)'s Core Voltage, http://www.intel.com Surf
> around their site.
> It's there, but I cant say as if I remember how to find it.

The PDF data sheets are in the Hardware Developer section.

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
> "ElJerid" <s.vanderhaeghen.nospam@pandora.be> wrote in message
>
>>"Snøøp¥" <snoopy2004¬THE@CR@P¬blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Have been lurking in this group for a while,
>>>getting some hints and tips on overclocking my
>>>system.
>>>
>>>I have :-
>>>
>>>P4 3Gig
>>>ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
>>>2x512 Twinmos running Dual Channel (Fitted - Akasa
>>>AK171 Copper RAM Heatsinks)
>>>CPU Cooled with Coolermaster Aero 4
>>>
>>>I have noticed that some people when taking about
>>>memory speed mention
>>>(high FSB speed and mem at 5:4 or memory speed
>>>(lower fsb and mem at 1:1)
>>>What does this mean.?
>>>
>>>What would be the best recommendations of
>>>overclocking my system to about 3.3Gig to 3.4Gig
>>>
>>>CPU Temperature is 33C idle and around 40C full
>>>load (According to ASUS probe anyhow)
>>>Mobo is 29C and 34C full Load.
>>>
>>>Any help Appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thankx
>>>

>>>--
>>>

>>>Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)
>>>
>>>Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

>>>Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
>>>Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
>>>Virus Database: 4361 - Release Date: 18/05/2004.
>>>

>>See also the article "P4P800 overclock advice please" of 17-05 and my
>
> reply
>
>>of 18-05:
>>
>>"That's the dilemma while overclocking...
>>Should you privilege CPU speed (high FSB speed and mem at 5:4) or memory
>>speed (lower fsb and mem at 1:1) ?
>>It all depends of what you want to do with your pc.
>>For cpu-intensive apps like video and image editing, you'd better choose
>
> the
>
>>first option. Your rendering times will be significantly reduced. For some
>>games, you'd better take the second option. For office apps, you will not
>>notice any difference, whatever the option"
>>

>>>David Maynard <<
>
> Said something about the max V-Core of the (Northwood) Core, It's
somewhere
> around 2.something

Definitely NOT 2. something.

> I think it might be 2.8 Volts.

Instant death. Fortunately, no P4 motherboard is even going to let you
select something like 2.8V Vcore, no even manually.

The range for all defined Northwood VID combinations is 1.1V to 1.55V and
the absolute maximum that the VID bits can possibly specify is 1.85V. There
are no more 'code' choices above that. Can't 'do' it.

I.E. there are 5 code bits. VID0 thru VID4.

11111 is 1.100
00000 is 1.850

Everything else is between 1.1 and 1.85

(Which, for historical perspective, is why those original socket 423 P4
overclocking boards that everyone was bitching about because they wouldn't
go over 1.85V for a 1.7V Vcore P4 only allowed 1.85V. There ain't no VID
codes to TELL the VRM anything more than 1.85V.

One could, of course, design a motherboard any way they please but then it
wouldn't be using standard parts in compliance with the reference design.)

> I think You'll most probably hit GHz for
> GHz, a point where turning up vcore
> no longer helps. I Have no Idea when you'll hit this point, I'm guessing
> 1.65Vcore or 1.68Vcore & 3.7 GHz or higher.
> Where I read the (Northwood)'s Core Voltage, http://www.intel.com Surf
> around their site.
> It's there, but I cant say as if I remember how to find it.

The PDF data sheets are in the Hardware Developer section.

ah, yeah. Your right.
And my board won't let me set it any higher then that...
My bad, & thanks.
Denny. :)

Alan

Good info; Thanks

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:48:38 +0100, "Snøøp¥"