Avoid Circuit City

This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what they
just pulled on me.

I went in on Monday to buy an HP Notebook model ZX5160. They were offering
an additional $250 off and with a $100 rebate the price was $1199.

I saw their model ZX5040US for $199 after rebates. That has a dedicated
memory for the video and firewire. But it was out of stock and they didn't
know if any were coming in.

I specifically told the salesman that I'd be back Wednesday after
researching the 2nd computer.

I show up this afternoon and the $250 Circuit City Rebate is gone. I'm told
it ended Sunday night. This almost came to blows as the sales manager first
infers I didn't see it,then tells me the guy we found who helped me wasn't
from the computer section so he can't be expected to know a rebate ends. I
told him that wasn't my problem and that his refusal to honor the price was
a "stupid decision." Then he tells me he isn't stupid and get pissed off. I
as ked him how he was pissed off when I was getting screwed? He insisted he
wasn't screwing me and that he was trying to work with me. I asked him how,
by now tralking me into paying $1349 for the same computer I wanted to walk
out the door with on Monday?

I then had to tell him to listen carefully as I didn't say he was stupid. I
said he was making a stupid managerial decision as I walked in the door
with cash, his salesman [who suddenly wasn't a real salesman] spoke to me
about the two different notebooks, and I said I'be be back to buy one
Wednesday. I had to explain to him that if the sale ended Monday [now
another saleman intervenes and tells me it ended Monday not Sunday] then
the onus is on the salesman to try to sell me one Monday by telling me the
rebate ended.

He goes back into "I can't manufacture a store rebate." to which I told him
he could do whatever he wanted to do and write up an explanation. His
comment then was that at $1199 he was losing money. I asked how he was
losing money if he was selling it at that price all last week!

Avoid Circuit City. They remind me of a place called TOPS in NJ years ago.
They just wanted to sell you a service contract and be out the door with
you.

Mike
34 answers Last reply
More about avoid circuit city

    "MikeW" <dontspamme@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what they
    > just pulled on me.
    >
    > I went in on Monday to buy an HP Notebook model ZX5160. They were offering
    > an additional $250 off and with a $100 rebate the price was $1199.
    >
    > I saw their model ZX5040US for $199 after rebates. That has a dedicated
    > memory for the video and firewire. But it was out of stock and they didn't
    > know if any were coming in.
    >
    > I specifically told the salesman that I'd be back Wednesday after
    > researching the 2nd computer.
    >
    > I show up this afternoon and the $250 Circuit City Rebate is gone. I'm
    told
    > it ended Sunday night. This almost came to blows as the sales manager
    first
    > infers I didn't see it,then tells me the guy we found who helped me wasn't
    > from the computer section so he can't be expected to know a rebate ends. I
    > told him that wasn't my problem and that his refusal to honor the price
    was
    > a "stupid decision." Then he tells me he isn't stupid and get pissed off.
    > as ked him how he was pissed off when I was getting screwed? He insisted
    he
    > wasn't screwing me and that he was trying to work with me. I asked him
    how,
    > by now tralking me into paying $1349 for the same computer I wanted to
    walk
    > out the door with on Monday?
    >
    > I then had to tell him to listen carefully as I didn't say he was stupid.
    > said he was making a stupid managerial decision as I walked in the door
    > with cash, his salesman [who suddenly wasn't a real salesman] spoke to me
    > about the two different notebooks, and I said I'be be back to buy one
    > Wednesday. I had to explain to him that if the sale ended Monday [now
    > another saleman intervenes and tells me it ended Monday not Sunday] then
    > the onus is on the salesman to try to sell me one Monday by telling me the
    > rebate ended.
    >
    > He goes back into "I can't manufacture a store rebate." to which I told
    him
    > he could do whatever he wanted to do and write up an explanation. His
    > comment then was that at $1199 he was losing money. I asked how he was
    > losing money if he was selling it at that price all last week!
    >
    > Avoid Circuit City. They remind me of a place called TOPS in NJ years ago.
    > They just wanted to sell you a service contract and be out the door with
    > you.
    >
    > Mike

    My eyes are opened wide over this....

    my 2 cents
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    MikeW wrote:
    > This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what they
    > just pulled on me.
    >
    > I went in on Monday to buy an HP Notebook model ZX5160. They were offering
    > an additional $250 off and with a $100 rebate the price was $1199.
    >
    > I saw their model ZX5040US for $199 after rebates. That has a dedicated
    > memory for the video and firewire. But it was out of stock and they didn't
    > know if any were coming in.
    >
    > I specifically told the salesman that I'd be back Wednesday after
    > researching the 2nd computer.
    >
    > I show up this afternoon and the $250 Circuit City Rebate is gone. I'm told
    > it ended Sunday night. This almost came to blows as the sales manager first
    > infers I didn't see it,then tells me the guy we found who helped me wasn't
    > from the computer section so he can't be expected to know a rebate ends. I
    > told him that wasn't my problem and that his refusal to honor the price was
    > a "stupid decision." Then he tells me he isn't stupid and get pissed off. I
    > as ked him how he was pissed off when I was getting screwed? He insisted he
    > wasn't screwing me and that he was trying to work with me. I asked him how,
    > by now tralking me into paying $1349 for the same computer I wanted to walk
    > out the door with on Monday?
    >
    > I then had to tell him to listen carefully as I didn't say he was stupid. I
    > said he was making a stupid managerial decision as I walked in the door
    > with cash, his salesman [who suddenly wasn't a real salesman] spoke to me
    > about the two different notebooks, and I said I'be be back to buy one
    > Wednesday. I had to explain to him that if the sale ended Monday [now
    > another saleman intervenes and tells me it ended Monday not Sunday] then
    > the onus is on the salesman to try to sell me one Monday by telling me the
    > rebate ended.

    Well, if I were the store manager I'd be telling the salesman to point out
    the end of the rebate period as a sales closing tool.

    However, YOU should have asked since you knew it was a rebate, you know
    that rebates don't run forever, and you were leaving to come back later.
    That's the first dern question I ask when I see a sale, or rebate, and have
    questions about whether I want to purchase right then and there: "when does
    your <sale/rebate> end?"

    Frankly, if it was so all fire important, you should have also asked how
    many were in stock because, for all you know, that might have been the last
    one (or two or three, or whatever) and be SOLD by the time you came back,
    whether the rebate was still on or not. And you should have asked if there
    were going to get more in and if you could get a rain check at the rebate
    price in case they were out when you came back.

    Why are you upset with them for giving it the same amount of attention,
    I.E. none, that you did?

    The lesson here is that you'll be better off if you to learn to think for
    yourself instead of expecting someone else to do it for you.

    On the bright side, there'll probably be another sale next week, or the one
    after, or the following, just as good, if not better, on another notebook,
    just as good, if not better, so take it as a learning experience and move on.

    > He goes back into "I can't manufacture a store rebate." to which I told him
    > he could do whatever he wanted to do and write up an explanation.

    No, he can't. He's a store manager; not the owner of Circuit City. He has
    profit/loss responsibility for the store and is charged with making sure
    everyone follows the company's rules but he doesn't make them.

    > His
    > comment then was that at $1199 he was losing money. I asked how he was
    > losing money if he was selling it at that price all last week!

    Because last week Circuit City was running the rebate deal and it wouldn't
    come out of his store's P/L statement, but now it would.

    > Avoid Circuit City. They remind me of a place called TOPS in NJ years ago.
    > They just wanted to sell you a service contract and be out the door with
    > you.
    >
    > Mike

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > I saw their model ZX5040US for $199 after rebates. That has a dedicated
    > memory for the video and firewire. But it was out of stock and they didn't
    > know if any were coming in.
    >
    > I specifically told the salesman that I'd be back Wednesday after
    > researching the 2nd computer.
    >
    > I show up this afternoon and the $250 Circuit City Rebate is gone. I'm
    told
    > it ended Sunday night. This almost came to blows as the sales manager
    first
    > infers I didn't see it,then tells me the guy we found who helped me wasn't
    > from the computer section so he can't be expected to know a rebate ends. I
    > told him that wasn't my problem and that his refusal to honor the price
    was
    > a "stupid decision." Then he tells me he isn't stupid and get pissed off.
    > as ked him how he was pissed off when I was getting screwed? He insisted
    he
    > wasn't screwing me and that he was trying to work with me. I asked him
    how,
    > by now tralking me into paying $1349 for the same computer I wanted to
    walk
    > out the door with on Monday?

    So... you're an incompetent shopper. If I'm going to wait until after a sale
    is over to buy something, I don't expect to get the sale price. You couldn't
    be bothered to check when the sale ended so who's fault is it?

    Also, if you were researching the other computer you still hadn't even
    decided which laptop you wanted yet, so you can't expect them to hold one
    for you.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "MikeW" <dontspamme@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what they
    > just pulled on me.

    ....and don't multipost.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in

    > Why are you upset with them for giving it the same amount of
    > attention, I.E. none, that you did?

    Because I gave it 4 weeks attention on deciding what to buy and the guy
    wrote the two model numbers down and I said I'd be in by Wednesday [2 days]
    to pick one. Hmm, that implies that I am asking when the rebate will be as
    I am committing to picking one at that price. Now had I know I was dealing
    with a mental midget I'd have asked for signed letters of transit. You see,
    the guy at BestBuy had just been laid off and had a Masters in EE and was
    job hunting. I didn't know that they hire minorities with no brains. The
    guy asked if he could help me. Today I find he doesn't work in that
    department. I guess I should have been omniscient and known that also.

    > The lesson here is that you'll be better off if you to learn to think
    > for

    Yes, thank you, preach to me. This is about principle, not the money. I
    have money. I could but 10 if I wanted to. That is not the point.

    MikeW
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in

    > You couldn't
    > be bothered to check when the sale ended so who's fault is it?

    How do you people get through school with limited reasoning abilities. This
    is quite comical.

    Let's make this simple. I ask the prices of each. He writes them down with
    the model numbers as I said I'd like to look at the feedback on both. I
    tell him I'll be in on Wednesday to take one at the price of $1199. Try to
    fill in the rest of what deductive reasoning says about the data provided.

    No wonder we can't win a war anymore.

    MikeW
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    MikeW wrote:

    > David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in
    >

    >>Why are you upset with them for giving it the same amount of
    >>attention, I.E. none, that you did?
    >

    > Because I gave it 4 weeks attention on deciding what to buy and the guy
    > wrote the two model numbers down and I said I'd be in by Wednesday [2 days]
    > to pick one. Hmm, that implies that I am asking when the rebate will be as
    > I am committing to picking one at that price. Now had I know I was dealing
    > with a mental midget I'd have asked for signed letters of transit. You see,
    > the guy at BestBuy had just been laid off and had a Masters in EE and was
    > job hunting. I didn't know that they hire minorities with no brains. The
    > guy asked if he could help me. Today I find he doesn't work in that
    > department. I guess I should have been omniscient and known that also.

    Talking cute trash nonsense doesn't alter the fact that there would be no
    problem if you had simply asked.

    >>The lesson here is that you'll be better off if you to learn to think
    >>for
    >

    > Yes, thank you, preach to me. This is about principle, not the money. I
    > have money. I could but 10 if I wanted to. That is not the point.

    IMO, the 'principle' is that you should have asked instead of depending on
    someone else to do your thinking for you.

    Just what 'principle' do YOU think is involved?

    > MikeW

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    MikeW wrote:

    > "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in
    >

    >>You couldn't
    >>be bothered to check when the sale ended so who's fault is it?
    >>

    > How do you people get through school with limited reasoning abilities. This
    > is quite comical.

    Yes, it IS rather comical. You claim superior 'reasoning abilities' yet it
    is YOU who don't get the 'deal' you went in for; not us.

    > Let's make this simple. I ask the prices of each. He writes them down with
    > the model numbers as I said I'd like to look at the feedback on both. I
    > tell him I'll be in on Wednesday to take one at the price of $1199. Try to
    > fill in the rest of what deductive reasoning says about the data provided.
    >
    > No wonder we can't win a war anymore.

    You just don't get it pal. YOU are the one who cares if you get the 'deal'
    so YOU are responsible for dealing with it.

    > MikeW
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Why didn´t you pay for it straight away, then come back and pick it up?
    Would have been easier. And before you start, no i am not a mental midget
    nor do i suffer any handicaps either physical or mental. If the tone you use
    here is the same you use in a store then no wonder they treated you the way
    they did. You can go a long way in life with a sword and a smile, but why
    use the sword when the smile will do.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > Let's make this simple. I ask the prices of each. He writes them down with
    > the model numbers as I said I'd like to look at the feedback on both. I
    > tell him I'll be in on Wednesday to take one at the price of $1199. Try to
    > fill in the rest of what deductive reasoning says about the data provided.

    I very much doubt that you said, "I'll be back Wednesday to take one of
    these at $1199."

    If it was THAT important, you should have asked for a raincheck on the one
    that was out of stock and purchased the one that was in stock.

    If you decided to return the one you bought you could have paid the sale
    price for the one not on sale.

    ....of course that's all moot if it is a manufacturer rebate. The store
    doesn't control those and have no reason to track the date on the rebate
    forms until they are processed.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > I very much doubt that you said, "I'll be back Wednesday to take one of
    > these at $1199."

    Right...and there are no weapons of mass destruction even though we sold
    them to him AND we have found them. Sheesh!

    MikeW
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > Yes, it IS rather comical. You claim superior 'reasoning abilities'
    > yet it is YOU who don't get the 'deal' you went in for; not us.

    You have my pity. Take solace that in your ignorance of integrity that you
    are pitied.

    MikeW
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    MikeW wrote:
    > "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in
    >

    >>I very much doubt that you said, "I'll be back Wednesday to take one of
    >>these at $1199."
    >>

    > Right...and there are no weapons of mass destruction even though we sold
    > them to him

    Name the ordinance designation, model, and type of WMD we "sold to him."

    > AND we have found them. Sheesh!
    >
    > MikeW
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > Just what 'principle' do YOU think is involved?

    It would be called the principle called integrity in that the employee
    wrote down the models for me to research and that telling the sales manager
    that, he should have honored it. The guiy admitted he did it and I said
    "Didn't I tell you I'd be back Wednesday to buy one?" to which the sales
    manager responded, "Yes, but he's not from this department." To which I
    responded "Well, if he walks up to me, asks if he can help me, and talks
    computers with me I'd say in a court of law that he was a salesman in this
    department."

    It is called good marketing to satisfy a customer. The store was willing to
    include their own internal rebate. The world of their gross revenues didn't
    drastically change over this aside from what would be termed "goodwill." In
    that sense it is multiple things like this that put a place out of
    business. If seeing the difference 5 miles down the road of traffic and
    stock in the Best Buy is any example, this stock should be shorted.

    MikeW
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "live and let live" <vodkadrinkers@t-online.de> wrote in

    > If the tone you use
    > here is the same you use in a store then no wonder they treated you
    > the way they did. You can go a long way in life with a sword and a
    > smile, but why use the sword when the smile will do.

    I go very far. I did not take the apporach I did till the guy told me I
    couldn't have seen it Monday as that rebate was over so it must have been
    Sunday. Funny, I went to Costco next door on Monday. Must be me.

    MikeW

    P.S. There is no reason to not get irrate with someone who starts the
    discussion by lying to you and telling me that he can't help me and its
    final and asks "You don't expect me to lose money, do you?"
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > ...and don't multipost.

    Check out the command from snoozer! Sheesh.

    MikeW
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    MikeW wrote:

    > David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in
    >

    >>Yes, it IS rather comical. You claim superior 'reasoning abilities'
    >>yet it is YOU who don't get the 'deal' you went in for; not us.
    >>

    > You have my pity. Take solace that in your ignorance of integrity that you
    > are pitied.
    >
    > MikeW

    'Integrity' is a matter of honesty and morality, and first begins with
    taking responsibility for one's own self.

    Now, it would surely have been nice if the salesman had thought of it but
    then you didn't think of it either.

    The difference is: he's not responsible for you, you are.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "MikeW" <dsm@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in
    >
    > > Just what 'principle' do YOU think is involved?
    > >

    > It would be called the principle called integrity in that the employee
    > wrote down the models for me to research and that telling the sales
    manager
    > that, he should have honored it. The guiy admitted he did it and I said
    > "Didn't I tell you I'd be back Wednesday to buy one?" to which the sales
    > manager responded, "Yes, but he's not from this department." To which I
    > responded "Well, if he walks up to me, asks if he can help me, and talks
    > computers with me I'd say in a court of law that he was a salesman in this
    > department."
    >
    > It is called good marketing to satisfy a customer. The store was willing
    > include their own internal rebate. The world of their gross revenues
    didn't
    > drastically change over this aside from what would be termed "goodwill."
    In
    > that sense it is multiple things like this that put a place out of
    > business. If seeing the difference 5 miles down the road of traffic and
    > stock in the Best Buy is any example, this stock should be shorted.
    >
    > MikeW

    Looks to me like Circuit City is better off without your business.

    - Chuck
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    MikeW wrote:

    > David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in
    >

    >>Just what 'principle' do YOU think is involved?
    >>

    > It would be called the principle called integrity in that the employee
    > wrote down the models for me to research and that telling the sales manager
    > that, he should have honored it. The guiy admitted he did it and I said
    > "Didn't I tell you I'd be back Wednesday to buy one?" to which the sales
    > manager responded, "Yes, but he's not from this department." To which I
    > responded "Well, if he walks up to me, asks if he can help me, and talks
    > computers with me I'd say in a court of law that he was a salesman in this
    > department."

    Integrity is a matter of honesty and morality and he did nothing dishonest
    or immoral. The prices were good during the rebate period. You came back
    after the rebate ended. Tough luck.

    And you're wasting that 'superior reasoning ability' you claim to possess
    on inventing excuses instead of listening to what people tell you. What the
    manager was trying to explain by noting the salesman was not from that
    department is he wouldn't KNOW when the rebate period ended. Which only
    reinforces the point because most floor people, whether in that department
    or not, are unlikely to have, off the top of their head, the terms of each
    and every rebate. You can get it from the ad, or the in-store copy of it,
    or, IF YOU ASK, someone will look it up for you.

    > It is called good marketing to satisfy a customer.

    Except, as in your case, when the customer is unreasonable.

    E.g. It would greatly 'satisfy' me if everyone would drop their prices 95%
    but I hardly expect them to do it for the 'principle' of 'good marketing'.

    > The store was willing to
    > include their own internal rebate.

    No, corporate was, not 'the store'.

    > The world of their gross revenues didn't
    > drastically change over this aside from what would be termed "goodwill."

    Except the store manager doesn't have that choice. Write corporate for an
    extension of the rebate and see how far you get.

    > In
    > that sense it is multiple things like this that put a place out of
    > business. If seeing the difference 5 miles down the road of traffic and
    > stock in the Best Buy is any example, this stock should be shorted.

    I happen to like Best Buy myself, but that is another matter that has
    nothing to do with being silly enough to not ask when the rebate ends and
    then blame the store clerk for it.

    > MikeW
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "The difference is: he's not responsible for you, you are."

    Something that 95% of people these days don't realise unfortunatly ....
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Should be easy, its already water cooled!

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Overclocking your toilet would be much more on-topic. Now you got me
    > thinking, it would be sweet to overclock my toilet....
    >
    > "Strontium" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
    > > Ummmm this has to do with overclocking what? My toilet?
    > >
    > > Geezum.

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Good point!! But how do I speed up the FSB?

    "Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
    > Should be easy, its already water cooled!
    >
    > --
    > Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    > For communication,
    > replace "at" with the 'at sign'
    > replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
    > replace "dot" with "."
    >

    > "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Overclocking your toilet would be much more on-topic. Now you got me
    > > thinking, it would be sweet to overclock my toilet....
    > >
    > > "Strontium" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
    > > > Ummmm this has to do with overclocking what? My toilet?
    > > >
    > > > Geezum.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    David Maynard wrote:
    > MikeW wrote:
    >> "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in
    >>

    >>> I very much doubt that you said, "I'll be back Wednesday to take
    >>> one of these at $1199."
    >>>

    >> Right...and there are no weapons of mass destruction even though we
    >> sold them to him
    >
    > Name the ordinance designation, model, and type of WMD we "sold to
    > him."

    Or found, for that matter (drifting totally off-topic here ...)

    >> AND we have found them. Sheesh!

    --
    Michael Brown
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Michael Brown wrote:

    > David Maynard wrote:
    >
    >>MikeW wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in

    >>>Right...and there are no weapons of mass destruction even though we
    >>>sold them to him
    >>
    >>Name the ordinance designation, model, and type of WMD we "sold to
    >>him."
    >

    > Or found, for that matter (drifting totally off-topic here ...)

    If you mean WMD that "we sold to him" then of course not; since we didn't
    sell him any.

    If you mean 'any', of any kind made by anyone, then we recently found 2
    artillery shells: one a binary sarin maker and the other mustard gas.

    I brought it up as a 'reasoning skills' example, which is a useful tool for
    debugging systems <g>.

    Besides, it's been rather slow in here, so I hoped no one would mind
    terribly, and I'm sick and tired of hearing that stupid myth "we sold
    Saddam his WMD."

    >>>AND we have found them. Sheesh!
    >

    > --
    > Michael Brown
    > www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
    > Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    For one who chose to take the time to research the models of the notebooks
    you were considering. (over a 2 day period)
    Yet not research potential sales from other stores, and rebates from the
    manufacturer.
    You defend yourself well, though, they are the words of an _____
    You fill in the blank

    "MikeW" <dontspamme@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what they
    > just pulled on me.
    >
    > I went in on Monday to buy an HP Notebook model ZX5160. They were offering
    > an additional $250 off and with a $100 rebate the price was $1199.
    >
    > I saw their model ZX5040US for $199 after rebates. That has a dedicated
    > memory for the video and firewire. But it was out of stock and they didn't
    > know if any were coming in.
    >
    > I specifically told the salesman that I'd be back Wednesday after
    > researching the 2nd computer.
    >
    > I show up this afternoon and the $250 Circuit City Rebate is gone. I'm
    told
    > it ended Sunday night. This almost came to blows as the sales manager
    first
    > infers I didn't see it,then tells me the guy we found who helped me wasn't
    > from the computer section so he can't be expected to know a rebate ends. I
    > told him that wasn't my problem and that his refusal to honor the price
    was
    > a "stupid decision." Then he tells me he isn't stupid and get pissed off.
    > as ked him how he was pissed off when I was getting screwed? He insisted
    he
    > wasn't screwing me and that he was trying to work with me. I asked him
    how,
    > by now tralking me into paying $1349 for the same computer I wanted to
    walk
    > out the door with on Monday?
    >
    > I then had to tell him to listen carefully as I didn't say he was stupid.
    > said he was making a stupid managerial decision as I walked in the door
    > with cash, his salesman [who suddenly wasn't a real salesman] spoke to me
    > about the two different notebooks, and I said I'be be back to buy one
    > Wednesday. I had to explain to him that if the sale ended Monday [now
    > another saleman intervenes and tells me it ended Monday not Sunday] then
    > the onus is on the salesman to try to sell me one Monday by telling me the
    > rebate ended.
    >
    > He goes back into "I can't manufacture a store rebate." to which I told
    him
    > he could do whatever he wanted to do and write up an explanation. His
    > comment then was that at $1199 he was losing money. I asked how he was
    > losing money if he was selling it at that price all last week!
    >
    > Avoid Circuit City. They remind me of a place called TOPS in NJ years ago.
    > They just wanted to sell you a service contract and be out the door with
    > you.
    >
    > Mike

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Drink lots of beer.

    --

    > Good point!! But how do I speed up the FSB?
    >
    > "Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
    > > Should be easy, its already water cooled!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    > > For communication,
    > > replace "at" with the 'at sign'
    > > replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
    > > replace "dot" with "."
    > >

    > > "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > Overclocking your toilet would be much more on-topic. Now you got me
    > > > thinking, it would be sweet to overclock my toilet....
    > > >
    > > > "Strontium" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message

  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "MikeW" <dontspamme@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what they
    > just pulled on me.

    Have to agree with most of the folks here. We must ALL be wrong... I
    definitely don't see why I'd avoid CC based upon this. Now, if you were
    telling me to be a careful shopper or read the specials closely...

    I have a similar story. I was hopping out of my car in a parking garage
    recently while some stranger was backing his huge SUV into a nearby parking
    space. I got my stuff from the car, got the doors locked, and looked up to
    see him back right into the concrete wall (the space was along the perimeter
    of the garage).

    The guy got out PISSED at ME. He said it was my fault he backed into the
    wall because I should have seen it coming and quickly warned him. He even
    told me it was my fault.

    Anyhow, thought it sounded a bit similar to your situation. I guess you can
    insult me now like you did with everyone else.

    BR
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what they
    > just pulled on me.

    sales end dude... get over it

    --
    ______
    From Adam Webb,

    BRanger wrote:
    > The guy got out PISSED at ME. He said it was my fault he backed into
    > the wall because I should have seen it coming and quickly warned him.
    > He even told me it was my fault.
    >
    > Anyhow, thought it sounded a bit similar to your situation. I guess
    > you can insult me now like you did with everyone else.

    Hahahahahahahahha... very, very good ;-)

    Thomas
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Will this do? You should have warned him before he began to back in that
    SVU's are large vehicles and that backing into the parking space require
    care. That you did not shows that you were not reading his mind and
    realizing he had a careless attitude toward shopping... er, parking. Shame
    on you and shame on that non-telepathic salesman that started this thread!

    --

    "BRanger" <BRanger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > "MikeW" <dontspamme@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what
    they
    > > just pulled on me.
    >

    > Have to agree with most of the folks here. We must ALL be wrong... I
    > definitely don't see why I'd avoid CC based upon this. Now, if you were
    > telling me to be a careful shopper or read the specials closely...
    >
    > I have a similar story. I was hopping out of my car in a parking garage
    > recently while some stranger was backing his huge SUV into a nearby
    parking
    > space. I got my stuff from the car, got the doors locked, and looked up
    > see him back right into the concrete wall (the space was along the
    perimeter
    > of the garage).
    >
    > The guy got out PISSED at ME. He said it was my fault he backed into the
    > wall because I should have seen it coming and quickly warned him. He even
    > told me it was my fault.
    >
    > Anyhow, thought it sounded a bit similar to your situation. I guess you
    can
    > insult me now like you did with everyone else.
    >
    > BR

  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    to be honest a guy with MikeW's "Problem" and attitude would have been
    escorted from where i work by a large man in a suit and told to SHOVE his
    money and not to come back...........

    --
    ______
    From Adam Webb,

    > Will this do? You should have warned him before he began to back in that
    > SVU's are large vehicles and that backing into the parking space require
    > care. That you did not shows that you were not reading his mind and
    > realizing he had a careless attitude toward shopping... er, parking.
    Shame
    > on you and shame on that non-telepathic salesman that started this thread!
    >
    > --
    > Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    > For communication,
    > replace "at" with the 'at sign'
    > replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
    > replace "dot" with "."
    >
    > "BRanger" <BRanger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > "MikeW" <dontspamme@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what
    > they
    > > > just pulled on me.
    > >

    > > Have to agree with most of the folks here. We must ALL be wrong... I
    > > definitely don't see why I'd avoid CC based upon this. Now, if you were
    > > telling me to be a careful shopper or read the specials closely...
    > >
    > > I have a similar story. I was hopping out of my car in a parking garage
    > > recently while some stranger was backing his huge SUV into a nearby
    > parking
    > > space. I got my stuff from the car, got the doors locked, and looked up
    > > see him back right into the concrete wall (the space was along the
    > perimeter
    > > of the garage).
    > >
    > > The guy got out PISSED at ME. He said it was my fault he backed into
    the
    > > wall because I should have seen it coming and quickly warned him. He
    even
    > > told me it was my fault.
    > >
    > > Anyhow, thought it sounded a bit similar to your situation. I guess you
    > can
    > > insult me now like you did with everyone else.
    > >
    > > BR

  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    ???

    --

    "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > to be honest a guy with MikeW's "Problem" and attitude would have been
    > escorted from where i work by a large man in a suit and told to SHOVE his
    > money and not to come back...........
    >
    > --
    > ______
    > From Adam Webb,
    > Nick: Overlag
    >

    > "Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
    > > Will this do? You should have warned him before he began to back in
    that
    > > SVU's are large vehicles and that backing into the parking space require
    > > care. That you did not shows that you were not reading his mind and
    > > realizing he had a careless attitude toward shopping... er, parking.
    > Shame
    > > on you and shame on that non-telepathic salesman that started this
    thread!

    > > --
    > > Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    > > For communication,
    > > replace "at" with the 'at sign'
    > > replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
    > > replace "dot" with "."
    > >
    > > "BRanger" <BRanger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > > "MikeW" <dontspamme@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > they
    > > >

    > > > Have to agree with most of the folks here. We must ALL be wrong... I
    > > > definitely don't see why I'd avoid CC based upon this. Now, if you
    were
    > > > telling me to be a careful shopper or read the specials closely...
    > > >
    > > > I have a similar story. I was hopping out of my car in a parking
    garage
    > > > recently while some stranger was backing his huge SUV into a nearby
    > > parking
    > > > space. I got my stuff from the car, got the doors locked, and looked
    up
    > > > see him back right into the concrete wall (the space was along the
    > > perimeter
    > > > of the garage).
    > > >
    > > > The guy got out PISSED at ME. He said it was my fault he backed into
    > the
    > > > wall because I should have seen it coming and quickly warned him. He
    > even
    > > > told me it was my fault.
    > > >
    > > > Anyhow, thought it sounded a bit similar to your situation. I guess
    you
    > > can
    > > > insult me now like you did with everyone else.
    > > >
    > > > BR

  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > Drink lots of beer.
    >
    > --
    > Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    > For communication,
    > replace "at" with the 'at sign'
    > replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
    > replace "dot" with "."
    >

    > "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Good point!! But how do I speed up the FSB?
    > >
    > > "Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
    > > > Should be easy, its already water cooled!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    > > > For communication,
    > > > replace "at" with the 'at sign'
    > > > replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
    > > > replace "dot" with "."
    > > >

    > > > "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message

    Home Depot has a Overclocked Toilet for sale.
    It can flush 24 golf balls at once.

    Id say that pretty Impressive and rather handy after a night of mexican food
    fiesta!!.
    Or if your a wife of a golfer who gets really pissed of at her husband :).
    OZoNE

  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I have to disagree with you. If the Rebate ended then the store will
    not be credited. That means they do loose whatever they knock off the
    computer. Margin on Tech items is ALOT smaller than most people
    realize. If there was a rebate sign it would also have a "good
    through" date on it. You should have gotten it when you were there
    the first time. Yes, I am a manager in tech merchandise (not Circuit
    City). It would be nice if customers would READ signage and not
    expect to be hand fed every little detail. :)

Overclocking Product