Vcore

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2004 5:37:46 PM

Hey.
I had my Vcore at 1,65V and when I started Prime95,
Motherb Monitor showed Core V at 1,65 then 1,60 to
1,55... After 3 minutes the comp. would reboot...
Is it normal that the Vcore goes down at 100% load?

The core is now at 1,75v and stable, but it still drops
0,10V at full load...
The PSU is a Fortron Source modded and sold under
a different label... 520W btw...

--
.hvM
.... esroN samohT

More about : vcore

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2004 10:44:51 PM

Thomas Norse wrote:

> Hey.
> I had my Vcore at 1,65V and when I started Prime95,
> Motherb Monitor showed Core V at 1,65 then 1,60 to
> 1,55... After 3 minutes the comp. would reboot...
> Is it normal that the Vcore goes down at 100% load?
>
> The core is now at 1,75v and stable, but it still drops
> 0,10V at full load...
> The PSU is a Fortron Source modded and sold under
> a different label... 520W btw...

The PSU is largely irrelevant to those numbers because Vcore is generated
on the motherboard, not the PSU.

To answer your main question, though, yes, it's normal. The Vcore spec on a
P4 is the maximum Vcore allowed and the real Vcore decreases as the current
draw of the processor increases, which equates to increasing load.

For a 2 to 3.2 Gig, 512K cache, P4, at 0A current draw Vcore should
'typically' be .025V below the spec'd Vcore. At 27A it should 'typically'
be .079V below the spec'd Vcore. And at 70A it should 'typically' be .177V
below the spec'd Vcore. The motherboard Vcore regulator does that
automatically.

I don't know what your currents are because you didn't say what speed it's
running at and, of course, with a non-spec Vcore it's not going to match
the Intel spec sheets anyway but a .1V drop is entirely consistent with the
expected range.
May 20, 2004 11:45:11 PM

sounds like a dodgy psu to me mate i don't think they should spike as bad as
that try another psu if u can.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:37:46 GMT, "Thomas Norse" <dvint.oppinion@c2i.net>
wrote:

>:>Hey.
>:>I had my Vcore at 1,65V and when I started Prime95,
>:>Motherb Monitor showed Core V at 1,65 then 1,60 to
>:>1,55... After 3 minutes the comp. would reboot...
>:>Is it normal that the Vcore goes down at 100% load?
>:>
>:>The core is now at 1,75v and stable, but it still drops
>:>0,10V at full load...
>:>The PSU is a Fortron Source modded and sold under
>:>a different label... 520W btw...

-----
Lee.
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2004 11:48:14 PM

Thomas Norse wrote:
> Hey.
> I had my Vcore at 1,65V and when I started Prime95,
> Motherb Monitor showed Core V at 1,65 then 1,60 to
> 1,55... After 3 minutes the comp. would reboot...
> Is it normal that the Vcore goes down at 100% load?
>
> The core is now at 1,75v and stable, but it still drops
> 0,10V at full load...
> The PSU is a Fortron Source modded and sold under
> a different label... 520W btw...

I can see fluctuations of ±0.025V from a nominal 1.65V while running Prime95
on this machine, using an Antec power supply.
The newest ATX specs call for ±5% on all lines, with the exception of -12V
which is ±10% and ±10% regulation on the +12V rail when peak loading occurs.

What other hardware do you have in that system ? It not so much the voltage
readings than the instability, which is worthy of further study.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2004 9:44:59 AM

Mr. Maynard is correct, this is normal re:vcore. It is perfectly
normal for the vcore to dip like that under full load.

You should NOT increase a P4 Northwood core past 1.7V however as you
will shorten its life significantly.

You've probably already noticed that your BIOS isn't super accurate
when setting its vcore there (for example on newer Asus boards they
slightly overvolt the vcore - 1.60v in the BIOS is usually
1.625V-1.65V idle in reality).

If you are doing any extreme overclocking I sugest volt-modding your
motherboard (which will stablize the vcore under load). There are
lots of resources to do this on the web (depending on your
motherboard, etc).

Cheers,

KaReD

CPU: 3.0c @ 3.65ghz - 5:4 @1.65V
MOBO: Asus P4C800-Deluxe (Bios 1016)
RAM: 2x512mb Corsair PC3500 XMS 2-2-2-5 @ 2.65V
VCARD: ATI Radeon 9800PRO 430/405 (w/Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer)
MONITORS: Samsung 172X 17" LCD (12ms), Samsung 955DF 19" CRT
SOUND: Audigy 2 ZS w/CL Inspire 6.1 Speakers Or Zalman ZM-RS6F
DRIVES: 2x120GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA (Raid 0), LG4082B 8xDVD
Burner, 120GB Seagate Ext. HDD
POWER: 520Watt Vantec Stealth
COOLING: Corsair Hydrocool 200 Water Cooled (CPU), MCX159 (N-bridge)
OTHER: Matrix Orbital MX212 LCD, Nexus Panel NXP-101, Nexus NXP-201
TEMPS: 27c Idle / 36c Full Load

On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:44:51 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>Thomas Norse wrote:
>
>> Hey.
>> I had my Vcore at 1,65V and when I started Prime95,
>> Motherb Monitor showed Core V at 1,65 then 1,60 to
>> 1,55... After 3 minutes the comp. would reboot...
>> Is it normal that the Vcore goes down at 100% load?
>>
>> The core is now at 1,75v and stable, but it still drops
>> 0,10V at full load...
>> The PSU is a Fortron Source modded and sold under
>> a different label... 520W btw...
>>

>The PSU is largely irrelevant to those numbers because Vcore is generated
>on the motherboard, not the PSU.
>
>To answer your main question, though, yes, it's normal. The Vcore spec on a
>P4 is the maximum Vcore allowed and the real Vcore decreases as the current
>draw of the processor increases, which equates to increasing load.
>
>For a 2 to 3.2 Gig, 512K cache, P4, at 0A current draw Vcore should
>'typically' be .025V below the spec'd Vcore. At 27A it should 'typically'
>be .079V below the spec'd Vcore. And at 70A it should 'typically' be .177V
>below the spec'd Vcore. The motherboard Vcore regulator does that
>automatically.
>
>I don't know what your currents are because you didn't say what speed it's
>running at and, of course, with a non-spec Vcore it's not going to match
>the Intel spec sheets anyway but a .1V drop is entirely consistent with the
>expected range.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2004 9:45:00 AM

Kared wrote:

> Mr. Maynard is correct, this is normal re:vcore. It is perfectly
> normal for the vcore to dip like that under full load.
>
> You should NOT increase a P4 Northwood core past 1.7V however as you
> will shorten its life significantly.
>
> You've probably already noticed that your BIOS isn't super accurate
> when setting its vcore there (for example on newer Asus boards they
> slightly overvolt the vcore - 1.60v in the BIOS is usually
> 1.625V-1.65V idle in reality).
>
> If you are doing any extreme overclocking I sugest volt-modding your
> motherboard (which will stablize the vcore under load). There are
> lots of resources to do this on the web (depending on your
> motherboard, etc).

Interesting. I didn't know people were doing that, although I'm not
terribly surprised.

I'm not so sure it's all that much 'safer', though, because component
electrical stress is why they lower Vcore with increasing current to begin
with.

Have you heard anyone explain why they think it's 'safer'?

> Cheers,
>
> KaReD

> CPU: 3.0c @ 3.65ghz - 5:4 @1.65V
> MOBO: Asus P4C800-Deluxe (Bios 1016)
> RAM: 2x512mb Corsair PC3500 XMS 2-2-2-5 @ 2.65V
> VCARD: ATI Radeon 9800PRO 430/405 (w/Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer)
> MONITORS: Samsung 172X 17" LCD (12ms), Samsung 955DF 19" CRT
> SOUND: Audigy 2 ZS w/CL Inspire 6.1 Speakers Or Zalman ZM-RS6F
> DRIVES: 2x120GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA (Raid 0), LG4082B 8xDVD
> Burner, 120GB Seagate Ext. HDD
> POWER: 520Watt Vantec Stealth
> COOLING: Corsair Hydrocool 200 Water Cooled (CPU), MCX159 (N-bridge)
> OTHER: Matrix Orbital MX212 LCD, Nexus Panel NXP-101, Nexus NXP-201
> TEMPS: 27c Idle / 36c Full Load
>

> On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:44:51 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Thomas Norse wrote:
>>

>>>Hey.
>>>I had my Vcore at 1,65V and when I started Prime95,
>>>Motherb Monitor showed Core V at 1,65 then 1,60 to
>>>1,55... After 3 minutes the comp. would reboot...
>>>Is it normal that the Vcore goes down at 100% load?
>>>
>>>The core is now at 1,75v and stable, but it still drops
>>>0,10V at full load...
>>>The PSU is a Fortron Source modded and sold under
>>>a different label... 520W btw...
>>>

>>The PSU is largely irrelevant to those numbers because Vcore is generated
>>on the motherboard, not the PSU.
>>
>>To answer your main question, though, yes, it's normal. The Vcore spec on a
>>P4 is the maximum Vcore allowed and the real Vcore decreases as the current
>>draw of the processor increases, which equates to increasing load.
>>
>>For a 2 to 3.2 Gig, 512K cache, P4, at 0A current draw Vcore should
>>'typically' be .025V below the spec'd Vcore. At 27A it should 'typically'
>>be .079V below the spec'd Vcore. And at 70A it should 'typically' be .177V
>>below the spec'd Vcore. The motherboard Vcore regulator does that
>>automatically.
>>
>>I don't know what your currents are because you didn't say what speed it's
>>running at and, of course, with a non-spec Vcore it's not going to match
>>the Intel spec sheets anyway but a .1V drop is entirely consistent with the
>>expected range.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2004 8:25:58 PM

"S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in message
> Thomas Norse wrote:
> > Hey.
> > I had my Vcore at 1,65V and when I started Prime95,
> > Motherb Monitor showed Core V at 1,65 then 1,60 to
> > 1,55... After 3 minutes the comp. would reboot...
> > Is it normal that the Vcore goes down at 100% load?
> >
> > The core is now at 1,75v and stable, but it still drops
> > 0,10V at full load...
> > The PSU is a Fortron Source modded and sold under
> > a different label... 520W btw...
>
> I can see fluctuations of ±0.025V from a nominal 1.65V while running
Prime95
> on this machine, using an Antec power supply.
> The newest ATX specs call for ±5% on all lines, with the exception of -12V
> which is ±10% and ±10% regulation on the +12V rail when peak loading
occurs.

> What other hardware do you have in that system ? It not so much the
voltage
> readings than the instability, which is worthy of further study.

Spec:
P4 Northw. 2,8c HT
Asus P4C800-E Del.
OCZ 4000 Dual Gold 512Mb x2
Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro 128
WD Raptor 74Gb 10.000rpm Sata
WD Caviar 120Gb Second Edition Sata
NEC ND-2500 DVDrw
NEC MultiSync LCD1760NX
Fortron-Source based PSU 520W and/or Thermaltake Butterfly 480W

What would it take to run this rig at 14x250? Does it all depend on the
cooling
solution? If so, can it be done using water cooling? Phase change cooling is
not a viable choice for me right now...

--
.hvM
.... esroN samohT

Just to step in with an answer regarding water cooling. I am running a 2.6C
HT on a P4C800 E Dlx. When I ordered the stuff to put the system together,
I went with OCZ 4200 ram knowing that I would be able to get a 1:1 ratio at
250fsb. I also ordered a Koolance EXOS AL to handle the cooling, as I was
getting tired of the jet fighter that was trapped inside my case. The room
that my system is in stays right around 28c and I am able to run the cpu at
250fsb with no increase in vcore with temps of 30c - 32c idle and 38c - 40c
load. With any luck at all, I stand a decent chance of hitting 275fsb with
little/none increase in voltage. Living in the desert as I do, I have to do
everything I can to prevent the house A/C from running all the time. In
order to reach those speeds, if at all possible, under air cooling I would
have to keep the house at about 20c, which increases my power bill by about
$520 a month. The water cooling setup has already paid for itself and then
some. Even tho your cpu is a 2.8 instead of a 2.6, you shouldn't have much
trouble reaching 250fsb with water. In fact, it may even allow you to go
higher. Rember though, YMMV!!! Good luck.
Silvertip

!