Using a P4 with 400mHz FSB on a 533 mHz M/B

hi all

I currently own a P4 1.7 Northwood 512 kb cache, with 512 SDR Ram, the
M/B has a FSB of 400mHz.

I 'd like to upgrade my system by getting a M/B that will support DDR
Ram, but i'd like to keep my P4 1.7 for now. If I buy a 533mHz or 800
mHz M/B will my processor be compatible? Might it be possible to
overclock it using the 533 setting to 2.26 gig (ie 133mHz x 17 = 2.26
instead of 100 mHz x 17 = 1.7 mHz) or have I got the wrong end of the
stick?

thanks for looking

Gaz

"Gaz" <gazoc7@aol.com> wrote in message
> hi all
>
> I currently own a P4 1.7 Northwood 512 kb cache, with 512 SDR Ram, the
> M/B has a FSB of 400mHz.
>
> I 'd like to upgrade my system by getting a M/B that will support DDR
> Ram, but i'd like to keep my P4 1.7 for now. If I buy a 533mHz or 800
> mHz M/B will my processor be compatible? Might it be possible to
> overclock it using the 533 setting to 2.26 gig (ie 133mHz x 17 = 2.26
> instead of 100 mHz x 17 = 1.7 mHz) or have I got the wrong end of the
> stick?
>
> thanks for looking

My P4 1.8 400 runs flawlessly at 533 for 2.4 with stock heat sink and fan.

Quixote

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:47:27 -0500, Quixote wrote:

> "Gaz" <gazoc7@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I currently own a P4 1.7 Northwood 512 kb cache, with 512 SDR Ram, the
>> M/B has a FSB of 400mHz.
>>
>> I 'd like to upgrade my system by getting a M/B that will support DDR
>> Ram, but i'd like to keep my P4 1.7 for now. If I buy a 533mHz or 800
>> mHz M/B will my processor be compatible? Might it be possible to
>> overclock it using the 533 setting to 2.26 gig (ie 133mHz x 17 = 2.26
>> instead of 100 mHz x 17 = 1.7 mHz) or have I got the wrong end of the
>> stick?
>
> My P4 1.8 400 runs flawlessly at 533 for 2.4 with stock heat sink and fan.

Never heard of a Northwood 1.7, so it's likely a 1.75V 256kb cache version
limited to ~2.0GHz (Williamette?). There's nothing of the sort on Intel's
s-spec page for P4's - all 1.7's are 256kb, 0.18um (none are 512kb,
0.13um)...
--
We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
country on at least a weekly basis.

Gaz wrote:

> hi all
>
> I currently own a P4 1.7 Northwood 512 kb cache, with 512 SDR Ram, the
> M/B has a FSB of 400mHz.
>
> I 'd like to upgrade my system by getting a M/B that will support DDR
> Ram, but i'd like to keep my P4 1.7 for now. If I buy a 533mHz or 800
> mHz M/B will my processor be compatible? Might it be possible to
> overclock it using the 533 setting to 2.26 gig (ie 133mHz x 17 = 2.26
> instead of 100 mHz x 17 = 1.7 mHz) or have I got the wrong end of the
> stick?
>
> thanks for looking
>
> Gaz

Unless Intel snuck out some undocumented processor that can't be a
Northwood as the slowest (documented) Northwood is 2 gig.

yep, your both right, I double checked and it's only got 256bk of L2 cache.

so I'm stuck with 2 gHz at best?

Gaz

> Northwood as the slowest (documented) Northwood is 2 gig.

were the 1.6A and 1.8A designated as something other than Northwoods, by
Intel?

Gaz wrote:

> yep, your both right, I double checked and it's only got 256bk of L2 cache.
>
> so I'm stuck with 2 gHz at best?
>
> Gaz

Well, no, I wouldn't say you're necessarily 'stuck' with 2 gig. A look at
the overclockers database indicates that 2.2 might be a reasonable target
and there's even one posted at 2.5, supposedly with the stock Intel cooler,
but you can't always trust what someone claims. The average was about 2.1.

Well, sad to say, what you have is not a 'Northwood' Pentium 4 (the one
with the 512 KByte L2 cache), but a 'Williamette' Pentium 4 with a 256
Kbyte L2 cache and a 0.18 feature size rather than the 0.13 feature size of
the 'Northwood'. It is not worth spending money trying to upgrade a system
and and still use that CPU, especially if you intend to overclock ( a
'Willamette' Pentium 4 is VERY limited in top clock speed, and the smaller
L2 cache is a real bottle neck.)

You are in the position of needing to replace the memory, CPU, AND
motherboard to get back on the step by step upgrade path. Since ANY
reasonable upgrade is going to require new memory and a new motherboard,
that is certainly the place to start, but don't let the compatibility
requirements of your present CPU limit your future path. A 'Prescott' 2.4
GHz Pentium 4 currently has the lowest price among Pentium 4 CPU's (a
'Northwood' 2.4 GHz and a 'Prescott' 2.8 GHz CPU are about the same price, ~
$175 US [both with 800 MHz FSB.]) You could expect to spend at least $175
US for an overclocking friendly motherboard and 512 MBytes of generic
PC3200 DDRAM.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Gaz" <gazoc7@aol.com> wrote in message
> hi all
>
> I currently own a P4 1.7 Northwood 512 kb cache, with 512 SDR Ram, the
> M/B has a FSB of 400mHz.
>
> I 'd like to upgrade my system by getting a M/B that will support DDR
> Ram, but i'd like to keep my P4 1.7 for now. If I buy a 533mHz or 800
> mHz M/B will my processor be compatible? Might it be possible to
> overclock it using the 533 setting to 2.26 gig (ie 133mHz x 17 = 2.26
> instead of 100 mHz x 17 = 1.7 mHz) or have I got the wrong end of the
> stick?
>
> thanks for looking
>
> Gaz

> Well, sad to say, what you have is not a 'Northwood' Pentium 4 (the one
> with the 512 KByte L2 cache), but a 'Williamette' Pentium 4 with a 256
> Kbyte L2 cache and a 0.18 feature size rather than the 0.13 feature size
of
> the 'Northwood'. It is not worth spending money trying to upgrade a
system
> and and still use that CPU, especially if you intend to overclock ( a
> 'Willamette' Pentium 4 is VERY limited in top clock speed, and the
smaller
> L2 cache is a real bottle neck.)

I have a 1.8 Williamette CPU which I run at 1.98 (4x110) and it is fine and
stable. I have tried to go above 2ghz but I get an instant crash (using
Easytune). Something thats been bothering me is my manual says the board is
a 400FSB but it has FSB settings all the way up to 133. Does this mean I can
run a 533FSB CPU? The max multiplyer is 24 and the board is a GA-8ITXE with
an i850 chipset.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Spizz

the willy is a 423 pin the 533 northys are 478 pin.

On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:27:32 +0000, Courseyauto wrote:

> the willy is a 423 pin the 533 northys are 478 pin.

WRONG. Williamettes came in both pinouts.

--
We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
country on at least a weekly basis.
"U.S.-led sanctions have killed over a million Iraqi citizens,
according to UN studies" - James Jennings
3,000+ innocent Iraqi civilian casualties can't be "wrong"...

Depends on the motherboard. If your RDRAM is PC800, it will not overclock
by 33%, so you would have to be able to use the async memory setting (5:4
ratio for FSB:memoryclock.) In fact, memory speed might be your limit even
with a .200/1.8 = 11.1% increase for PC800.

--

"spizz" <spizz_uk@hotmailDOT.com> wrote in message
> > Well, sad to say, what you have is not a 'Northwood' Pentium 4 (the one
> > with the 512 KByte L2 cache), but a 'Williamette' Pentium 4 with a 256
> > Kbyte L2 cache and a 0.18 feature size rather than the 0.13 feature size
> of
> > the 'Northwood'. It is not worth spending money trying to upgrade a
> system
> > and and still use that CPU, especially if you intend to overclock ( a
> > 'Willamette' Pentium 4 is VERY limited in top clock speed, and the
> smaller
> > L2 cache is a real bottle neck.)
> >

> I have a 1.8 Williamette CPU which I run at 1.98 (4x110) and it is fine
and
> stable. I have tried to go above 2ghz but I get an instant crash (using
> Easytune). Something thats been bothering me is my manual says the board
is
> a 400FSB but it has FSB settings all the way up to 133. Does this mean I
can
> run a 533FSB CPU? The max multiplyer is 24 and the board is a GA-8ITXE
with
> an i850 chipset.
> Any feedback greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Spizz

> Depends on the motherboard. If your RDRAM is PC800, it will not overclock
> by 33%, so you would have to be able to use the async memory setting
(5:4
> ratio for FSB:memoryclock.) In fact, memory speed might be your limit
even
> with a .200/1.8 = 11.1% increase for PC800.

Thanks for the info. The ram is PC800, i'll play it safe and just keep
looking out for a 2.4 with 400FSB. Oh and the CPU is 478 pins.

Cheers,
Spizz

A Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB is $180 US at
http://www.zipzoomfly.com .
Yeah, I know it is a flaky name, but they were once called 'googlegear', and
I think google.com complained. I've bought memory, motherboards, CPU's, and
hard drives from them and had good experiences.

Then you can get THAT Pentium 4 2.4 above 3 GHz using the 3:4 ratio and
PC800 overclocked only 12.5% even at 3.2 GHz, so the memory speed of your
current PC800 will likely not limit your CPU speed.

I have a Pentium 4 1.6A running at 2.4 GHz using using PC800 and that
method. Basically the FSB is running at 4/3 X 1.125 X 100 MHz X 4 = 600
MHz, while memory is running at the equivalent of an FSB speed of 450 MHz,
just a 12.5% overclock.

--

"spizz" <spizz_uk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Depends on the motherboard. If your RDRAM is PC800, it will not
overclock
> > by 33%, so you would have to be able to use the async memory setting
> (5:4
> > ratio for FSB:memoryclock.) In fact, memory speed might be your limit
> even
> > with a .200/1.8 = 11.1% increase for PC800.
> >

> Thanks for the info. The ram is PC800, i'll play it safe and just keep
> looking out for a 2.4 with 400FSB. Oh and the CPU is 478 pins.
>
> Cheers,
> Spizz

JB

> I have a 1.8 Williamette CPU which I run at 1.98 (4x110) and it is fine
and
> stable. I have tried to go above 2ghz but I get an instant crash (using
> Easytune). Something thats been bothering me is my manual says the board
is
> a 400FSB but it has FSB settings all the way up to 133. Does this mean I
can
> run a 533FSB CPU? The max multiplyer is 24 and the board is a GA-8ITXE
with
> an i850 chipset.
> Any feedback greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Spizz<

If you are using win98 classic, you are limited to speeds less than 2.2 GHz.
At that speed it will refuse to load a driver due to a divide-by-zero error.

JB wrote:
>>I have a 1.8 Williamette CPU which I run at 1.98 (4x110) and it is fine
>
> and
>
>>stable. I have tried to go above 2ghz but I get an instant crash (using
>>Easytune). Something thats been bothering me is my manual says the board
>
> is
>
>>a 400FSB but it has FSB settings all the way up to 133. Does this mean I
>
> can
>
>>run a 533FSB CPU? The max multiplyer is 24 and the board is a GA-8ITXE
>
> with
>
>>an i850 chipset.
>>Any feedback greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Spizz<
>

> If you are using win98 classic, you are limited to speeds less than 2.2 GHz.
> At that speed it will refuse to load a driver due to a divide-by-zero error.

Only if you don't get the patch for it. There is a patch for that just as
there was for the win95 350MHz divide by zero problem.

> A Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB is $180 US at
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com .
> Yeah, I know it is a flaky name, but they were once called 'googlegear',
and
> I think google.com complained. I've bought memory, motherboards, CPU's,
and
> hard drives from them and had good experiences.
>
> Then you can get THAT Pentium 4 2.4 above 3 GHz using the 3:4 ratio and
> PC800 overclocked only 12.5% even at 3.2 GHz, so the memory speed of your
> current PC800 will likely not limit your CPU speed.
>
> I have a Pentium 4 1.6A running at 2.4 GHz using using PC800 and that
> method. Basically the FSB is running at 4/3 X 1.125 X 100 MHz X 4 = 600
> MHz, while memory is running at the equivalent of an FSB speed of 450
MHz,
> just a 12.5% overclock.

Great info Phil, thanks. I've saved it for future reference when I do
finally pick up one of these critters. I'd ordered a 2.4 400FSB CPU from
PCBuyers.co.uk for £70 yesterday but they called this morning and said
they're out of stock. $180 US is tempting but out of reach atm at over
£100. I'll keep a look out for a 2nd hand one.

Incidentally, do you think that a Celeron 2.4 will out pace my 1.8
Williamette running at 1.98 and how are they for overclocking? They are nice
and cheap at about £50 but will it give any significant boost?

Cheers again,
Spizz

JB

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> JB wrote:
> >>I have a 1.8 Williamette CPU which I run at 1.98 (4x110) and it is fine
> >
> > and
> >
> >>stable. I have tried to go above 2ghz but I get an instant crash (using
> >>Easytune). Something thats been bothering me is my manual says the
board

> > is
> >
> >>a 400FSB but it has FSB settings all the way up to 133. Does this mean I
> >
> > can
> >
> >>run a 533FSB CPU? The max multiplyer is 24 and the board is a GA-8ITXE
> >
> > with
> >
> >>an i850 chipset.
> >>Any feedback greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Spizz<
> >

> > If you are using win98 classic, you are limited to speeds less than 2.2
GHz.
> > At that speed it will refuse to load a driver due to a divide-by-zero
error.

> Only if you don't get the patch for it. There is a patch for that just as
> there was for the win95 350MHz divide by zero problem.<

True, there is a patch but getting it requires a call to MS and may involve
a trouble-call fee. I heard the patch only works for two weeks anyway so I
did not mention it.

That Celeron and the rest of its family has only a 128 Kbyte L2 cache, and
thus has a severe limition on its performance. You'd be much wiser to look
for a 'pulled' Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB. The price and
availablity of a new 2.4/400 is likely because they are no longer made (my
guess.)

--

"Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message news:<hMQrc.6264$be.1338@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> You are in the position of needing to replace the memory, CPU, AND
> motherboard to get back on the step by step upgrade path. Since ANY
> reasonable upgrade is going to require new memory and a new motherboard,
> that is certainly the place to start, but don't let the compatibility
> requirements of your present CPU limit your future path. A 'Prescott' 2.4
> GHz Pentium 4 currently has the lowest price among Pentium 4 CPU's (a
> 'Northwood' 2.4 GHz and a 'Prescott' 2.8 GHz CPU are about the same price, ~
> $175 US [both with 800 MHz FSB.]) You could expect to spend at least $175
> US for an overclocking friendly motherboard and 512 MBytes of generic
> PC3200 DDRAM.

hi Phil

Thats the conclusion I've come to myself, so I've managed to justify a
new computer to myself!!!

2600 Barton
Ati 9700 SE 128 MB
512 DDR Ram
....and while I'm at it a 160 gig hard drive

Gaz

JB wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

>>>and

> board
>
>>>is

>>>can

>>>with

>>>If you are using win98 classic, you are limited to speeds less than 2.2
>
> GHz.
>
>>>At that speed it will refuse to load a driver due to a divide-by-zero
>
> error.
>

>>Only if you don't get the patch for it. There is a patch for that just as
>>there was for the win95 350MHz divide by zero problem.<
>

> True, there is a patch but getting it requires a call to MS and may involve
> a trouble-call fee.

You can find it on download sites, although not easily.

> I heard the patch only works for two weeks anyway so I
> did not mention it.

Sounds like an old wives tale.

Phil

What do you mean bt "Pulled"? I'm back in the OC game and assuming a
2.4/400 is a good candidate?

thx

bob

Phil Weldon wrote:
> That Celeron and the rest of its family has only a 128 Kbyte L2
> cache, and thus has a severe limition on its performance. You'd be
> much wiser to look for a 'pulled' Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a 400 MHz
> FSB. The price and availablity of a new 2.4/400 is likely because
> they are no longer made (my guess.)
>

> "spizz" <spizz_uk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> A Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB is $180 US at
>>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com .
>>> Yeah, I know it is a flaky name, but they were once called
>>> 'googlegear', and I think google.com complained. I've bought
>>> memory, motherboards, CPU's, and hard drives from them and had
>>> good experiences.
>>>
>>> Then you can get THAT Pentium 4 2.4 above 3 GHz using the 3:4
>>> ratio and PC800 overclocked only 12.5% even at 3.2 GHz, so the
>>> memory speed of your current PC800 will likely not limit your CPU
>>> speed.
>>>
>>> I have a Pentium 4 1.6A running at 2.4 GHz using using PC800 and
>>> that method. Basically the FSB is running at 4/3 X 1.125 X 100 MHz
>>> X 4 = 600 MHz, while memory is running at the equivalent of an FSB
>>> speed of 450 MHz, just a 12.5% overclock.
>>>

>> Great info Phil, thanks. I've saved it for future reference when I
>> do finally pick up one of these critters. I'd ordered a 2.4 400FSB
>> CPU from PCBuyers.co.uk for £70 yesterday but they called this
>> morning and said they're out of stock. $180 US is tempting but out
>> of reach atm at over £100. I'll keep a look out for a 2nd hand one.
>>
>> Incidentally, do you think that a Celeron 2.4 will out pace my 1.8
>> Williamette running at 1.98 and how are they for overclocking? They
>> are nice and cheap at about £50 but will it give any significant
>> boost?
>>
>> Cheers again,
>> Spizz

"Pulled": removed from an discarded computer system; used. A Pentium 4
2.4 400 MHz is more likely to be found used that Pentium 4 CPUs with a
faster clock speed and/or faster bus speed.

--

"Bob Snelgrove" <steelgtr_95127@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Phil
>
> What do you mean bt "Pulled"? I'm back in the OC game and assuming a
> 2.4/400 is a good candidate?
>
> thx
>
> bob
>

> Phil Weldon wrote:
> > That Celeron and the rest of its family has only a 128 Kbyte L2
> > cache, and thus has a severe limition on its performance. You'd be
> > much wiser to look for a 'pulled' Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a 400 MHz
> > FSB. The price and availablity of a new 2.4/400 is likely because
> > they are no longer made (my guess.)
> >

> > "spizz" <spizz_uk@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Great info Phil, thanks. I've saved it for future reference when I
> >> do finally pick up one of these critters. I'd ordered a 2.4 400FSB
> >> CPU from PCBuyers.co.uk for £70 yesterday but they called this
> >> morning and said they're out of stock. $180 US is tempting but out
> >> of reach atm at over £100. I'll keep a look out for a 2nd hand one.
> >>
> >> Incidentally, do you think that a Celeron 2.4 will out pace my 1.8
> >> Williamette running at 1.98 and how are they for overclocking? They
> >> are nice and cheap at about £50 but will it give any significant
> >> boost?
> >>
> >> Cheers again,
> >> Spizz

TRENDING THREADS