Aging notebook

Hi,

I have HP notebook (HP Pavilion N5195). It has mobile PIII-700...became too
slow. What will happen if I inserted mobile PIII-1GHZ instead? I'm concerned
with possible overheating. Processor spec on Intel web site says that mobile
PIII-1GHZ generates almost twice as much heat as mobile PIII-700.

Also, I was thinking of swapping the notebook's hard drive (20GB, 4200 rpm,
2MB cache) for a new one (40GB, 7400 rpm, 8MB cache). Again, my concern is
over-heating: new faster HD is likely to generate more heat than the old
one.

Btw, I already upgraded the notebook memory to max it would take: 256 MB.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Boris

Don't bother with any of the ideas you have for speeding up your notebook.
You'd hardly notice the effect of any of them on most note book
applications. Not to mention that the Pentium III 1 GHz mobile CPU with a
100 MHz FSB has only a 256 Kbyte L2 cache size, and your motherboard
probably is not compatible with the Pentium III 1 GHz with a 133 MHz FSB
and a 512 Kbyte L2 cache. It is time to love the one you're with if you
can't be with the one you love.

I have a notebook computer with specifications similar to yours; a Dell with
a Pentium III 700 MHz mobile CPU and 256 Mbyte maximum RAM size. The only
upgrade I've done since purchasing it is to replace the original 10 Gbyte
4200 rpm hard drive with a 60 Gbyte 4200 rpm hard drive. That gave me
capacity without the penalty of lowered battery life that a 7200 rpm hard
drive would exact. The only things that give it a problem are image
processing and 3-D games; no amount of compatible upgrades would help there.
For DVD movie playback it is fine, and the drive upgrade was only necessary
to hold .wma files. Even with 10 Gbytes of .wma files and MS Visual Studio
6.0, the 60 Gbyte hard drive still has 30 Gbytes free.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Boris Dynin" <spam@noplease.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have HP notebook (HP Pavilion N5195). It has mobile PIII-700...became
too
> slow. What will happen if I inserted mobile PIII-1GHZ instead? I'm
concerned
> with possible overheating. Processor spec on Intel web site says that
mobile
> PIII-1GHZ generates almost twice as much heat as mobile PIII-700.
>
> Also, I was thinking of swapping the notebook's hard drive (20GB, 4200
rpm,
> 2MB cache) for a new one (40GB, 7400 rpm, 8MB cache). Again, my concern is
> over-heating: new faster HD is likely to generate more heat than the old
> one.
>
> Btw, I already upgraded the notebook memory to max it would take: 256 MB.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Boris

Sell it and buy another one should be a good option. Notebook is usually not
good for upgrading.

"Boris Dynin" <spam@noplease.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:RMZrc.12699$Fo4.176682@typhoon.sonic.net ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Hi,
>
> I have HP notebook (HP Pavilion N5195). It has mobile PIII-700...became
too
> slow. What will happen if I inserted mobile PIII-1GHZ instead? I'm
concerned
> with possible overheating. Processor spec on Intel web site says that
mobile
> PIII-1GHZ generates almost twice as much heat as mobile PIII-700.
>
> Also, I was thinking of swapping the notebook's hard drive (20GB, 4200
rpm,
> 2MB cache) for a new one (40GB, 7400 rpm, 8MB cache). Again, my concern is
> over-heating: new faster HD is likely to generate more heat than the old
> one.
>
> Btw, I already upgraded the notebook memory to max it would take: 256 MB.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Boris

Upgrading the hard drive is quite easy as is upgrading memory to the max,
but I agree about upgrading the CPU