permission to access computer on network

I have been trying to set my laptop so I can access my desktop, when I go
from the desktop to the laptop it does fine, I can access any file on the
laptop, when I want to access the desktop from the laptop it tells me I do
not have permissiion that I need to ask the administrator for permission, how
do I get it so I can access the desktop from my laptop. I am the only one on
my network and want to be able to access all files and programs from either
computer.
Any help will be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about permission access computer network

    Marie wrote:

    > I have been trying to set my laptop so I can access my desktop, when I
    > go from the desktop to the laptop it does fine, I can access any file
    > on the
    > laptop, when I want to access the desktop from the laptop it tells me
    > I do not have permissiion that I need to ask the administrator for
    > permission, how
    > do I get it so I can access the desktop from my laptop. I am the only
    > one on my network and want to be able to access all files and programs
    > from either computer.
    > Any help will be appreciated.

    1. Check the firewall settings on the desktop.
    2. Make a user account on the desktop that is identical to the user
    account/password being used on the laptop.
    3. Make sure you've shared out resources on the desktop.
    4. If you have Windows XP, the easiest way to set this up is by running
    the Network Setup Wizard on both machines.

    Here are links for additional help:

    http://www.howtonetworking.com/default.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I am facing the exact problem that my desktop is wired to the router and my
    laptop is wirelessly. I can access my latop from desktop but not vice versa.
    I ran the network wizard, checked the firewall settings, shared the resourses
    properly abd etc etc but of no help. Can please any one help.

    Thanks
    Tarun

    Tarun wrote:

    > I am facing the exact problem that my desktop is wired to the router
    > and my laptop is wirelessly. I can access my latop from desktop but
    > not vice versa. I ran the network wizard, checked the firewall
    > settings, shared the resourses properly abd etc etc but of no help.
    > Can please any one help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tarun

    Did you go to the links I gave the Original Poster and read through the
    instructions? In addition, here is a network troubleshooter by MVP
    Hans-Georg Michna:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Take the time to go through it carefully and it will pinpoint the
    problem area(s) for you.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers