permission to access computer on network

marie

I have been trying to set my laptop so I can access my desktop, when I go
from the desktop to the laptop it does fine, I can access any file on the
laptop, when I want to access the desktop from the laptop it tells me I do
not have permissiion that I need to ask the administrator for permission, how
do I get it so I can access the desktop from my laptop. I am the only one on
my network and want to be able to access all files and programs from either
computer.
Any help will be appreciated.

Malke

Marie wrote:

> I have been trying to set my laptop so I can access my desktop, when I
> go from the desktop to the laptop it does fine, I can access any file
> on the
> laptop, when I want to access the desktop from the laptop it tells me
> I do not have permissiion that I need to ask the administrator for
> permission, how
> do I get it so I can access the desktop from my laptop. I am the only
> one on my network and want to be able to access all files and programs
> from either computer.
> Any help will be appreciated.

1. Check the firewall settings on the desktop.
2. Make a user account on the desktop that is identical to the user
account/password being used on the laptop.
3. Make sure you've shared out resources on the desktop.
4. If you have Windows XP, the easiest way to set this up is by running
the Network Setup Wizard on both machines.

Here are links for additional help:

http://www.howtonetworking.com/default.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

tarun

Distinguished
May 11, 2005

I am facing the exact problem that my desktop is wired to the router and my
laptop is wirelessly. I can access my latop from desktop but not vice versa.
I ran the network wizard, checked the firewall settings, shared the resourses
properly abd etc etc but of no help. Can please any one help.

Thanks
Tarun

Tarun wrote:

> I am facing the exact problem that my desktop is wired to the router
> and my laptop is wirelessly. I can access my latop from desktop but
> not vice versa. I ran the network wizard, checked the firewall
> settings, shared the resourses properly abd etc etc but of no help.
> Can please any one help.
>
> Thanks
> Tarun

Did you go to the links I gave the Original Poster and read through the
instructions? In addition, here is a network troubleshooter by MVP
Hans-Georg Michna:

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Take the time to go through it carefully and it will pinpoint the
problem area(s) for you.

Malke