Northwood P4 2.4 GHz (533) Overclocking

Hi all,

I've got the above processor and I want to give my system a bit of a
kick by overclocking it. (No money to upgrade with)

I have 3 main questions for you:

1 = What voltages, in your experience, should VCore stay between (I've
heard that over 1.7 is very bad news).

2 = What temperature should it not exceed?

3 = What increase of FSB speed (I will try to keep the RAM and the
AGP/PCI speeds constant) have you found to be the highest reachable (so
that I know where abouts I will level off)

The mainboard is an MSI 648-Max (SiS 648 chipset), with 1x512 stick of
DDR 333 installed (not Corsair or anything nice like that). I have the
Intel stock cooler installed and the case is a Thermaltake Xaser III
(saying that because it has a lot of fans). My PSU is a Tagan 480W (so
power might not be a problem). Graphics are an FX 5200, soon upgrading
to a second-hand FX 5900. (higher power drain, for certain. My 5200
doesn't even have a fan)

Thanks in advance.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"BananaOfTheNight" <bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote in
message news:c9usvg$3kk$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk...
> Anyone know anything about this?

Yes

BananaOfTheNight wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got the above processor and I want to give my system a bit of a
> kick by overclocking it. (No money to upgrade with)
>
> I have 3 main questions for you:
>
> 1 = What voltages, in your experience, should VCore stay between (I've
> heard that over 1.7 is very bad news).

Anything under 1.7 is probably safe with good cooling, but aim for under
1.65 to give yourself a bit more of a safety net. Of course, go as low as
you can without hurting stability.

> 2 = What temperature should it not exceed?

No idea for P4's. If it starts to throttle then you've gone too high :)

> 3 = What increase of FSB speed (I will try to keep the RAM and the
> AGP/PCI speeds constant) have you found to be the highest reachable
> (so that I know where abouts I will level off)

This depends heavily on your system, whether you got a good or bad CPU, etc,
so only you can answer this one. Just ramp it up until it gets too hot, goes
unstable, or vcore gets too high. In any case, it doesn't matter since it's
not like you have to choose a multiplier or anything. Set your RAM to the
slowest speed (through the mem:fsb ratio if your motherboard supports it)
with the loosest memory timings, and see how high you can go.

[...]

--
Michael Brown

> Anything under 1.7 is probably safe with good cooling, but aim for under
> 1.65 to give yourself a bit more of a safety net. Of course, go as low as
> you can without hurting stability.

OK. Will do. I've been looking around and have found instances of people
using 1.6V to go from 2.4 to 3.6!! (I even think that it was air cooling
as well) I've got myself a nice new heatsink (solid copper, 6 heat
pipes, holds 2 80mm case fans) and a tube of Arctic Silver 5, so I'm
rather optimistic about it.

> Set your RAM to the slowest speed (through the mem:fsb ratio) if your
> motherboard supports it with the loosest memory timings, and see how high
> you can go.

Right. I can set the ratio and I will try to keep the memory running at
333 MHz if possible. Lowering it sounds interesting, though - a 1:1
ratio (5:4 right now) might give me a performance boost due to some nice
synchronous operation.

But yes, I'll see what impact that has.

Thanks for your help. I'll start cranking it up tomorrow.