Current "Bang For Buck" Overclocking Champion?

Hi Guys

I go back to the celery 366@550 days and currently am running a P3 600@806.
It's time for an upgrade and as usual I want to get the most I can for as
little as possible :)

I'd like a P4/MB combo that OC's well without a lot of fiddling and extra
cooling. Stability is a must.

Is a P4 with lower (400) FSB more desireable like a 2.4/400?

Appreciate any ideas,

thx

bob (please email too)

JTS

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

I have had pretty good luck overclocking the P4 2.4C/800 and 3.0C/800.
Right now I am running a 2.4C at 3.25 and a 3.0C at 3.7. Both on Asus P4P800
boards.

Todd

"Bob Snelgrove" <steelgtr_95127@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys
>
> I go back to the celery 366@550 days and currently am running a P3
600@806.
> It's time for an upgrade and as usual I want to get the most I can for as
> little as possible :)
>
> I'd like a P4/MB combo that OC's well without a lot of fiddling and extra
> cooling. Stability is a must.
>
> Is a P4 with lower (400) FSB more desireable like a 2.4/400?
>
> Appreciate any ideas,
>
> thx
>
> bob (please email too)

Thanks, Todd

So a lower FSB is not desireable?

What RAM do you need for the 2.4?

thx

bob

JTS wrote:
> I have had pretty good luck overclocking the P4 2.4C/800 and 3.0C/800.
> Right now I am running a 2.4C at 3.25 and a 3.0C at 3.7. Both on Asus
> P4P800 boards.
>
> Todd
>
> "Bob Snelgrove" <steelgtr_95127@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> I go back to the celery 366@550 days and currently am running a P3
>> 600@806. It's time for an upgrade and as usual I want to get the
>> most I can for as little as possible :)
>>
>> I'd like a P4/MB combo that OC's well without a lot of fiddling and
>> extra cooling. Stability is a must.
>>
>> Is a P4 with lower (400) FSB more desireable like a 2.4/400?
>>
>> Appreciate any ideas,
>>
>> thx
>>
>> bob (please email too)

JTS

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

I like a higher FSB. The performance is better. If you go with 800 FSB,
you must make sure both your motherboard and processor support this speed.

RAM requirements are motherboard specific more than processor specific.
Although most boards can run a variety of RAM in terms of speed and size.

If you are sure you want to go P4 (as opposed to Athlon), I would find a
motherboard that you like. I would suggest looking at those with Intel 865
or 875 chipsets. There are many to choose from like ASUS, Abit, etc. Once
a motherboard is selected, you can check out it's RAM needs.

> Thanks, Todd
>
> So a lower FSB is not desireable?
>
> What RAM do you need for the 2.4?
>
> thx
>
> bob
>

> JTS wrote:
> > I have had pretty good luck overclocking the P4 2.4C/800 and 3.0C/800.
> > Right now I am running a 2.4C at 3.25 and a 3.0C at 3.7. Both on Asus
> > P4P800 boards.
> >
> > Todd
> >
> > "Bob Snelgrove" <steelgtr_95127@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Guys
> >>
> >> I go back to the celery 366@550 days and currently am running a P3
> >> 600@806. It's time for an upgrade and as usual I want to get the
> >> most I can for as little as possible :)
> >>
> >> I'd like a P4/MB combo that OC's well without a lot of fiddling and
> >> extra cooling. Stability is a must.
> >>
> >> Is a P4 with lower (400) FSB more desireable like a 2.4/400?
> >>
> >> Appreciate any ideas,
> >>
> >> thx
> >>
> >> bob (please email too)

The best thing you can do, is decide just how aggressive you want to be in
your overclocking. Then go to Overclockers.com and check their data base.
That will also help you decide your memory. Whether to get a lower speed
with low latency and run at 5:4 and/or 3:2, or go for a faster ram with
higher latency and run at 1:1. I just upgraded from a P4 1.8(100fsb)
running at 2.6(133fsb) and 333 memory running at 387 on a P4PE, to a P4
2.6(400fsb) running at 3.2(250fsb) and OCZ PC4200 memory running at 1:1 on a
P4C800 E Dlx. I seem to be stuck at 250fsb for the present, but will try a
bios upgrade and see if that helps.
Silvertip