Dumb Upgrade ??

I recently reinstalled windows on a new HD and finally have everything where
I want it. Can I buy a new MB/CPU/Memory combo and have XP pro find the new
hardware and function properly? I really hate to start over again :)

thx

bob
5 answers Last reply
More about dumb upgrade

    "Bob Snelgrove" <steelgtr_95127@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I recently reinstalled windows on a new HD and finally have everything
    where
    > I want it. Can I buy a new MB/CPU/Memory combo and have XP pro find the
    new
    > hardware and function properly? I really hate to start over again :)

    Maybe.....a repair install is SUPPOSED to recognize the new hardware and
    install the correct drivers, etc, without having to do a hosedown. In my
    experience, it rarely works out this way. When I upgraded from a Tualatin
    1.13Ghz / Abit VH-6 II board to a Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2 board, the
    repair install failed, got trapped in a loop, without any way to recover. On
    my wife's system, I upgraded from a Palomino 2000+ / Soltek KT333 to a
    Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2. I was sure the repair install would work on
    this one, but it failed too.It DID work when I upgraded a friends Athlon
    Tbird 1333 / Abit board to a Barton 2500 / SOltek Nforce2. So 1 out of 3 for
    me.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

    > Maybe.....a repair install is SUPPOSED to recognize the new hardware and
    > install the correct drivers, etc, without having to do a hosedown. In my
    > experience, it rarely works out this way. When I upgraded from a Tualatin
    > 1.13Ghz / Abit VH-6 II board to a Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2 board, the
    > repair install failed, got trapped in a loop, without any way to recover.
    On
    > my wife's system, I upgraded from a Palomino 2000+ / Soltek KT333 to a
    > Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2. I was sure the repair install would work on
    > this one, but it failed too.It DID work when I upgraded a friends Athlon
    > Tbird 1333 / Abit board to a Barton 2500 / SOltek Nforce2. So 1 out of 3
    for
    > me.

    A7N8X dlx to Abit NF7-S worked for me without repair install needed,
    nforce2 - nforce2 made it easy I suppose. I cleared out all mobo specific
    drivers first and it asked me for drivers etc on first boot.

    If the chipsets are completely different a repair might work, but best to
    clean install.

    --
    Ian
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Apollo" <REMOVEMEian_dunbar6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Maybe.....a repair install is SUPPOSED to recognize the new hardware
    >> and install the correct drivers, etc, without having to do a
    >> hosedown. In my experience, it rarely works out this way. When I
    >> upgraded from a Tualatin
    >> 1.13Ghz / Abit VH-6 II board to a Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2
    >> board, the repair install failed, got trapped in a loop, without any
    >> way to recover. On my wife's system, I upgraded from a Palomino
    >> 2000+ / Soltek KT333 to a Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2. I was sure
    >> the repair install would work on this one, but it failed too.It DID
    >> work when I upgraded a friends Athlon Tbird 1333 / Abit board to a
    >> Barton 2500 / SOltek Nforce2. So 1 out of 3 for me.
    >>
    > A7N8X dlx to Abit NF7-S worked for me without repair install needed,
    > nforce2 - nforce2 made it easy I suppose. I cleared out all mobo
    > specific drivers first and it asked me for drivers etc on first boot.
    >
    > If the chipsets are completely different a repair might work, but
    > best to clean install.
    this has worked for me in the past
    put new drivers for mobo on your hd
    replace mobo
    start in safe mode
    run new driver app
    restart pc
    pray that it all works
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    My sister computer was a FIC VB-601 so I chaged it to a DFI P2XBL, no chages
    on CPU, memory or HD. The thing works normaly! No need for a repair setup.

    Silva
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Your upgrade is fine but your timing could be better. Bite the bullet, back
    up your data and do a clean install (you still have your old hard drive,
    right? what better use for it than installing it for continuing use for
    regular data backups.)

    This might also be a good time to consider an inexpensive hardware firewall.
    This will protect your system from outside attacks even when you are
    downloading your intial security patches. Simple hardware firewalls have
    gotten so cheap they are usually built into wireless base stations and
    routers (My Microsoft wi-fi base station/router combo cost less than $60
    US. It won't protect your system from sending OUT stuff that shouldn't be
    going out, but if you have a LAN it is a necessary protection.
    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    "Bob Snelgrove" <steelgtr_95127@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I recently reinstalled windows on a new HD and finally have everything
    where
    > I want it. Can I buy a new MB/CPU/Memory combo and have XP pro find the
    new
    > hardware and function properly? I really hate to start over again :)
    >

    > thx
    >
    > bob

Hardware Overclocking