Dumb Upgrade ??

I recently reinstalled windows on a new HD and finally have everything where
I want it. Can I buy a new MB/CPU/Memory combo and have XP pro find the new
hardware and function properly? I really hate to start over again :)

thx

bob

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Bob Snelgrove" <steelgtr_95127@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I recently reinstalled windows on a new HD and finally have everything
where
> I want it. Can I buy a new MB/CPU/Memory combo and have XP pro find the
new
> hardware and function properly? I really hate to start over again :)

Maybe.....a repair install is SUPPOSED to recognize the new hardware and
install the correct drivers, etc, without having to do a hosedown. In my
experience, it rarely works out this way. When I upgraded from a Tualatin
1.13Ghz / Abit VH-6 II board to a Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2 board, the
repair install failed, got trapped in a loop, without any way to recover. On
my wife's system, I upgraded from a Palomino 2000+ / Soltek KT333 to a
Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2. I was sure the repair install would work on
this one, but it failed too.It DID work when I upgraded a friends Athlon
Tbird 1333 / Abit board to a Barton 2500 / SOltek Nforce2. So 1 out of 3 for
me.

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

> Maybe.....a repair install is SUPPOSED to recognize the new hardware and
> install the correct drivers, etc, without having to do a hosedown. In my
> experience, it rarely works out this way. When I upgraded from a Tualatin
> 1.13Ghz / Abit VH-6 II board to a Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2 board, the
> repair install failed, got trapped in a loop, without any way to recover.
On
> my wife's system, I upgraded from a Palomino 2000+ / Soltek KT333 to a
> Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2. I was sure the repair install would work on
> this one, but it failed too.It DID work when I upgraded a friends Athlon
> Tbird 1333 / Abit board to a Barton 2500 / SOltek Nforce2. So 1 out of 3
for
> me.

A7N8X dlx to Abit NF7-S worked for me without repair install needed,
nforce2 - nforce2 made it easy I suppose. I cleared out all mobo specific
drivers first and it asked me for drivers etc on first boot.

If the chipsets are completely different a repair might work, but best to
clean install.

--
Ian

"Apollo" <REMOVEMEian_dunbar6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Maybe.....a repair install is SUPPOSED to recognize the new hardware
>> and install the correct drivers, etc, without having to do a
>> hosedown. In my experience, it rarely works out this way. When I
>> upgraded from a Tualatin
>> 1.13Ghz / Abit VH-6 II board to a Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2
>> board, the repair install failed, got trapped in a loop, without any
>> way to recover. On my wife's system, I upgraded from a Palomino
>> 2000+ / Soltek KT333 to a Barton 2500 / Soltek Nforce2. I was sure
>> the repair install would work on this one, but it failed too.It DID
>> work when I upgraded a friends Athlon Tbird 1333 / Abit board to a
>> Barton 2500 / SOltek Nforce2. So 1 out of 3 for me.
>>
> A7N8X dlx to Abit NF7-S worked for me without repair install needed,
> nforce2 - nforce2 made it easy I suppose. I cleared out all mobo
> specific drivers first and it asked me for drivers etc on first boot.
>
> If the chipsets are completely different a repair might work, but
> best to clean install.
this has worked for me in the past
put new drivers for mobo on your hd
replace mobo
start in safe mode
run new driver app
restart pc
pray that it all works

My sister computer was a FIC VB-601 so I chaged it to a DFI P2XBL, no chages
on CPU, memory or HD. The thing works normaly! No need for a repair setup.

Silva

Your upgrade is fine but your timing could be better. Bite the bullet, back
up your data and do a clean install (you still have your old hard drive,
right? what better use for it than installing it for continuing use for
regular data backups.)

This might also be a good time to consider an inexpensive hardware firewall.
This will protect your system from outside attacks even when you are
downloading your intial security patches. Simple hardware firewalls have
gotten so cheap they are usually built into wireless base stations and
routers (My Microsoft wi-fi base station/router combo cost less than $60
US. It won't protect your system from sending OUT stuff that shouldn't be
going out, but if you have a LAN it is a necessary protection.
--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,