MB for Celeron 2.8 ghz with AGP 2x?

I have:

Celeron 2.8Ghz processor (400Mhz FSB)
An AGP 2x (3.3 volt) graphics card
some PC133 memory.

Does anyone know of a cheap motherboard that could support those
things? I can upgrade the PC133 memory, so supporting that is
not crucial, though it's preferred. Of course, I'd be happy to
go with a board with higher than 400Mhz FSB, with perhaps a bit of
overclocking. The AGP 2x support is essential though. Some boards
that support 4x AGP cards also support 2x, but some don't. (If there's
a key notch in the AGP slot, it doesn't support 2x.)

I was thinking of the PC Chips M922LR and M922LU boards, but I don't
know if they support AGP 2x. Does anyone know? Otherwise, can
someone suggest a good cheap board (well under $100, preferably).

Thanks

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Zinn" <zinn@spam.all.people> wrote in message
> I have:
>
> Celeron 2.8Ghz processor (400Mhz FSB)
> An AGP 2x (3.3 volt) graphics card
> some PC133 memory.
>
> Does anyone know of a cheap motherboard that could support those
> things? I can upgrade the PC133 memory, so supporting that is
> not crucial, though it's preferred. Of course, I'd be happy to
> go with a board with higher than 400Mhz FSB, with perhaps a bit of
> overclocking. The AGP 2x support is essential though. Some boards
> that support 4x AGP cards also support 2x, but some don't. (If there's
> a key notch in the AGP slot, it doesn't support 2x.)
>
> I was thinking of the PC Chips M922LR and M922LU boards, but I don't
> know if they support AGP 2x. Does anyone know? Otherwise, can
> someone suggest a good cheap board (well under $100, preferably).
>
> Thanks

It's time to retire that 3.3v AGP2X card. Given that for $25 or less you can
pick up a Geforce2 GTS Ultra AGP4X on Ebay that should be your first
priority, not finding a crippled motherboard that can accomodate ancient
memory and components.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:05:17 +0000, Augustus wrote:

> "Zinn" <zinn@spam.all.people> wrote in message
>> I have:
>>
>> Celeron 2.8Ghz processor (400Mhz FSB)
>> An AGP 2x (3.3 volt) graphics card
>> some PC133 memory.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a cheap motherboard that could support those
>> things? I can upgrade the PC133 memory, so supporting that is
>> not crucial, though it's preferred. Of course, I'd be happy to
>> go with a board with higher than 400Mhz FSB, with perhaps a bit of
>> overclocking. The AGP 2x support is essential though. Some boards
>> that support 4x AGP cards also support 2x, but some don't. (If there's
>> a key notch in the AGP slot, it doesn't support 2x.)
>>
>> I was thinking of the PC Chips M922LR and M922LU boards, but I don't
>> know if they support AGP 2x. Does anyone know? Otherwise, can
>> someone suggest a good cheap board (well under $100, preferably).
>>
>> Thanks
>
> It's time to retire that 3.3v AGP2X card. Given that for $25 or less you can
> pick up a Geforce2 GTS Ultra AGP4X on Ebay that should be your first
> priority, not finding a crippled motherboard that can accomodate ancient
> memory and components.

The AGP card is a Number 9 Revolution IV, which has an OpenLDI
connector, which I need to drive an SGI 1600SW lcd monitor.
Unfortunately, this is one of the only cards ever made with such a
connector, and no recent cards have it. It's a bummer, but I love the
1600SW monitor, so I'm willing to make this compromise.

Anyway, my CPU is a Celeron so I'm not hanging on the cutting edge of
performance. I'm hoping there's maybe a year old MB out there with pretty
good performance that still supports 3.3 volt AGP.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

http://www.pixsolution.com/

> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:05:17 +0000, Augustus wrote:
>

> > "Zinn" <zinn@spam.all.people> wrote in message
> >> I have:
> >>
> >> Celeron 2.8Ghz processor (400Mhz FSB)
> >> An AGP 2x (3.3 volt) graphics card
> >> some PC133 memory.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of a cheap motherboard that could support those
> >> things? I can upgrade the PC133 memory, so supporting that is
> >> not crucial, though it's preferred. Of course, I'd be happy to
> >> go with a board with higher than 400Mhz FSB, with perhaps a bit of
> >> overclocking. The AGP 2x support is essential though. Some boards
> >> that support 4x AGP cards also support 2x, but some don't. (If
there's
> >> a key notch in the AGP slot, it doesn't support 2x.)
> >>
> >> I was thinking of the PC Chips M922LR and M922LU boards, but I don't
> >> know if they support AGP 2x. Does anyone know? Otherwise, can
> >> someone suggest a good cheap board (well under $100, preferably).
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > It's time to retire that 3.3v AGP2X card. Given that for $25 or less you
can
> > pick up a Geforce2 GTS Ultra AGP4X on Ebay that should be your first
> > priority, not finding a crippled motherboard that can accomodate ancient
> > memory and components.
>
> The AGP card is a Number 9 Revolution IV, which has an OpenLDI
> connector, which I need to drive an SGI 1600SW lcd monitor.
> Unfortunately, this is one of the only cards ever made with such a
> connector, and no recent cards have it. It's a bummer, but I love the
> 1600SW monitor, so I'm willing to make this compromise.
>
> Anyway, my CPU is a Celeron so I'm not hanging on the cutting edge of
> performance. I'm hoping there's maybe a year old MB out there with pretty
> good performance that still supports 3.3 volt AGP.

IMHO you might be better off with a tualatin core P-III CPU, on a mature
that supports PC133 (i think i815EP chipset is needed for tualatin), and
performs much better than the P4 Celeron: all P4 would suffer a large hit
from using PC133, and celerons, with much reduced L2 (128KB) and the tiny L1
chache (similar in all P4) are the worse. On a Tualatin platform you have
Pentium III with either 256KB or 512 KB L2, 1.0-1.4GHz, FSB is 133, or chose
the cheaper celeron which has 256KB L2 (and 32KB L1) - surely better than P4
celerons, on a 100MHz FSB (only drawback of those celerons). On an
operations per clock cycle, those are the most mature Pentiums Intel has
ever made, up untill the mobile chips for the centrino systems.
Should not be that difficult to find such combination (CPU + board) that
would also support older graphics card than a P4 system supports.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:47:32 +0200, Erez Volach wrote:

> "Zinn" <zinn@spam.all.people> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:05:17 +0000, Augustus wrote:
>>

>> > "Zinn" <zinn@spam.all.people> wrote in message

> there's

>> > It's time to retire that 3.3v AGP2X card. Given that for $25 or less you
> can
>> > pick up a Geforce2 GTS Ultra AGP4X on Ebay that should be your first
>> > priority, not finding a crippled motherboard that can accomodate ancient
>> > memory and components.
>>
>> The AGP card is a Number 9 Revolution IV, which has an OpenLDI
>> connector, which I need to drive an SGI 1600SW lcd monitor.
>> Unfortunately, this is one of the only cards ever made with such a
>> connector, and no recent cards have it. It's a bummer, but I love the
>> 1600SW monitor, so I'm willing to make this compromise.
>>
>> Anyway, my CPU is a Celeron so I'm not hanging on the cutting edge of
>> performance. I'm hoping there's maybe a year old MB out there with pretty
>> good performance that still supports 3.3 volt AGP.
>>
> IMHO you might be better off with a tualatin core P-III CPU, on a mature
> that supports PC133 (i think i815EP chipset is needed for tualatin), and
> performs much better than the P4 Celeron: all P4 would suffer a large hit
> from using PC133, and celerons, with much reduced L2 (128KB) and the tiny L1
> chache (similar in all P4) are the worse. On a Tualatin platform you have
> Pentium III with either 256KB or 512 KB L2, 1.0-1.4GHz, FSB is 133, or chose
> the cheaper celeron which has 256KB L2 (and 32KB L1) - surely better than P4
> celerons, on a 100MHz FSB (only drawback of those celerons). On an
> operations per clock cycle, those are the most mature Pentiums Intel has
> ever made, up untill the mobile chips for the centrino systems.
> Should not be that difficult to find such combination (CPU + board) that
> would also support older graphics card than a P4 system supports.

The Tualatin PIII's were never made for clock speeds higher than 1.4 ghz.
I agree they give better overall performance than P4 Celerons at a given
clock speed, but I find it hard to believe a 1.4 ghz PIII will outperform
a 2.8 ghz Celeron. I'll be using PC133 memory only in the short term to
keep the cost down. I'm expecting a board that would support PC2700 at
least.

Nevertheless, I'll consider your advice. A 1.4 ghz PIII would be a
decent option. Can you suggest a good board?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> The Tualatin PIII's were never made for clock speeds higher than 1.4 ghz.
> I agree they give better overall performance than P4 Celerons at a given
> clock speed, but I find it hard to believe a 1.4 ghz PIII will outperform
> a 2.8 ghz Celeron. I'll be using PC133 memory only in the short term to
> keep the cost down. I'm expecting a board that would support PC2700 at
> least.
>
> Nevertheless, I'll consider your advice. A 1.4 ghz PIII would be a
> decent option. Can you suggest a good board?

A 2.8 Ghz P4 Celeron performs about on par with a 2.0 Ghz Willamette P4. It
would considerably outperform a 1.2 ro 1.4 Ghz Tualatin, even the server
models with 512K L2 cache. Socket 370 Tualatin boards are hard to come by
these days. I used to run a 1.13Ghz 512K Tualatin o/c to 1.3Ghz with 512Mb
PC/133 SDRAM and it consistently benched about the same as the older 1.4 to
1.6 Willamette P4's.