Quiet CPU Fan Needed for P4 2.8ghz @3.2Ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2004 3:13:29 AM

Hey everyone.. My New Engineering sample P-4 2.8Ghz HT 533FSB with
Hyper-threading jumped right onto 3.20Ghz no sweat... BUT the
Thermalake P4 Spark III H/S fan is really LOUD... Anybody have a
suggestion for a high volume fan with less NOISE?

Thanks
Pernel

SuperMicro Full Tower Monster Case
Asus P4P800 Deluxe Mobo
Intel P-4 E/S (Unlocked) 2.8Ghz w/H.T. enabled.
2 Gig Samsung 3200DDR-400 CL3
Getting an ATA serial drive for Boot/C:
Plextor 8X 708A DVD burner

Etc....

P.S. Settled into 150FSB X 20 for a cool 3Ghz for prime95 and Sandra
Burn-in.
P.P.S. This is my Fifth Generation Overclock, starting with a
300A~450Mhz
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2004 11:01:19 AM

Well, the stock Intel fan/heatsink ought to do fine for a mere 15%
overclock, unless you have the core voltage set unreasonably high.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Pernel S Thyseldew" <rubygro@asis.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone.. My New Engineering sample P-4 2.8Ghz HT 533FSB with
> Hyper-threading jumped right onto 3.20Ghz no sweat... BUT the
> Thermalake P4 Spark III H/S fan is really LOUD... Anybody have a
> suggestion for a high volume fan with less NOISE?
>
> Thanks
> Pernel
>
> SuperMicro Full Tower Monster Case
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe Mobo
> Intel P-4 E/S (Unlocked) 2.8Ghz w/H.T. enabled.
> 2 Gig Samsung 3200DDR-400 CL3
> Getting an ATA serial drive for Boot/C:
> Plextor 8X 708A DVD burner
>
> Etc....
>
> P.S. Settled into 150FSB X 20 for a cool 3Ghz for prime95 and Sandra
> Burn-in.
> P.P.S. This is my Fifth Generation Overclock, starting with a
> 300A~450Mhz
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2004 11:01:20 AM

> Well, the stock Intel fan/heatsink ought to do fine for a mere 15%
> overclock, unless you have the core voltage set unreasonably high.

It's been a while since I've bought any Intel CPU other than Xeons, but
I've never known stock coolers from Intel or AMD to be exactly quiet. : )

As for quiet and good cooling, the new Zalman 7000A's are a very good
choice. There are fans that are a little more quiet, and some that cool a
little better - but I'm not aware of any that can are that quiet *and* cool
that well. (Provided it will fit on your motherboard!)

steve
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2004 4:20:09 PM

If you can find a giant passive heat sink (soket 478) that can fit in to a
Mid Tower case and do not melt down, you tell me about it.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2004 1:45:23 PM

"Pernel S Thyseldew" <rubygro@asis.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone.. My New Engineering sample P-4 2.8Ghz HT 533FSB with
> Hyper-threading jumped right onto 3.20Ghz no sweat... BUT the
> Thermalake P4 Spark III H/S fan is really LOUD... Anybody have a
> suggestion for a high volume fan with less NOISE?
>
> Thanks
> Pernel
>
> SuperMicro Full Tower Monster Case
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe Mobo
> Intel P-4 E/S (Unlocked) 2.8Ghz w/H.T. enabled.
> 2 Gig Samsung 3200DDR-400 CL3
> Getting an ATA serial drive for Boot/C:
> Plextor 8X 708A DVD burner
>
> Etc....
>
> P.S. Settled into 150FSB X 20 for a cool 3Ghz for prime95 and Sandra
> Burn-in.
> P.P.S. This is my Fifth Generation Overclock, starting with a
> 300A~450Mhz

Same here. I've also an Asus P4P800, with PIV 2.8 @ 3.290 (fsb at 235 MHz).
I installed a Thermaltake Spark 7 cooler, which gives excellent cooling
results, but is incredibily noisy when the cpu is intensively used, because
the fan is then running at up to 6000 rpm. Good point is that the cpu temp
remains always under 42 °C, even in the worst case (and with room temp
23°C).
As I found the Cu cooling element a nice piece to start with, I purchased a
plastic fan enlarger and mounted a 12 cm PABST fan, which runs at 2500 rpm
max. The cooling results are not better than with the original, but I don' t
ear it anymore.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2004 5:03:08 PM

> If you can find a giant passive heat sink (soket 478) that can fit in to
> Mid Tower case and do not melt down, you tell me about it.

While not *completely* passive, SilenX.com has a combo of a Swiftech
MCX-478V and a 14 dBA fan. If the fan really does only put out 13 dBA,
you'll never hear it unless your ear is close enough to get a shave from
it. : ) I can't say how well it would cool, especially if you're trying
to overclock.

steve
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2004 12:13:06 PM

http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/english/ncu1000_e.htm...

"NSA" <silva.adsl@sapo.pt> wrote in message
> If you can find a giant passive heat sink (soket 478) that can fit in to a
> Mid Tower case and do not melt down, you tell me about it.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2004 6:38:11 PM

"wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "NSA" <silva.adsl@sapo.pt> wrote in message
> > If you can find a giant passive heat sink (soket 478) that can fit in to
> > Mid Tower case and do not melt down, you tell me about it.

> http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/english/ncu1000_e.htm...

That can't work... Not for todays CPU's.

In the video I assume that the "22W" means 22 watts of heat dissapation?

Does anyone have one of these and does it really work?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2004 1:19:25 AM

"Pernel S Thyseldew" <rubygro@asis.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone.. My New Engineering sample P-4 2.8Ghz HT 533FSB with
> Hyper-threading jumped right onto 3.20Ghz no sweat... BUT the
> Thermalake P4 Spark III H/S fan is really LOUD... Anybody have a
> suggestion for a high volume fan with less NOISE?

Zalman 7000 Cu, or better yet the cheaper, lighter 7000 Al-Cu, which
performs identically.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2004 3:45:00 AM

Malcolm Function wrote:
> "Pernel S Thyseldew" <rubygro@asis.com> wrote in message
>> Hey everyone.. My New Engineering sample P-4 2.8Ghz HT 533FSB with
>> Hyper-threading jumped right onto 3.20Ghz no sweat... BUT the
>> Thermalake P4 Spark III H/S fan is really LOUD... Anybody have a
>> suggestion for a high volume fan with less NOISE?
>
> Zalman 7000 Cu, or better yet the cheaper, lighter 7000 Al-Cu, which

" performs identically."

An argueable statement.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2004 11:13:33 AM

they claim to have tested it up to a 2.8ghz p4.

"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> "wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "NSA" <silva.adsl@sapo.pt> wrote in message
> > > If you can find a giant passive heat sink (soket 478) that can fit in
> > > Mid Tower case and do not melt down, you tell me about it.
>
> > http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/english/ncu1000_e.htm...
>
> That can't work... Not for todays CPU's.
>
> In the video I assume that the "22W" means 22 watts of heat dissapation?
>
> Does anyone have one of these and does it really work?

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2004 12:35:49 PM

"Pernel S Thyseldew" <rubygro@asis.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone.. My New Engineering sample P-4 2.8Ghz HT 533FSB with
> Hyper-threading jumped right onto 3.20Ghz no sweat... BUT the
> Thermalake P4 Spark III H/S fan is really LOUD... Anybody have a
> suggestion for a high volume fan with less NOISE?
>
> Thanks
> Pernel
>
> SuperMicro Full Tower Monster Case
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe Mobo
> Intel P-4 E/S (Unlocked) 2.8Ghz w/H.T. enabled.
> 2 Gig Samsung 3200DDR-400 CL3
> Getting an ATA serial drive for Boot/C:
> Plextor 8X 708A DVD burner
>
> Etc....
>
> P.S. Settled into 150FSB X 20 for a cool 3Ghz for prime95 and Sandra
> Burn-in.
> P.P.S. This is my Fifth Generation Overclock, starting with a
> 300A~450Mhz

How about a Zalman AlCu7000. With 92mm variable speed fan. Very quiet
indeed. I have a 3.0GHz Northwood at 3.5GHz and 57C full load.
!