Which is the faster configuration?

Hi everyone,

Theoretical question for you:

I have a PC on which I play the odd game, surf the web and convert the odd
movie file but nothing heavy duty.

The PC spec is as follows:

Pentium 4 3.0GZ (533 FSB)
DFI Lanparty Pro 875 Mobo
1024 MB PC 3200 DDR Ram (SINGLE channel as not a matched pair of DIMMS)
running at 333 Mhz. Tried running them on Double Channel but had a very
unstable result

My question is, would my PC run better if I got 2 x 256MB MATCHED DDR Dimms
and run them as Dual Channel even though I've effectively halfed the amount
of RAM?

Also, should I expect much of a speed benefit of getting the 800FSB version
of the CPU (my mobo supports 800FSB but the current CPU is only the 533 FSB
one)

Thanks everyone in advance!

Adam

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

saas wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Theoretical question for you:
>
> I have a PC on which I play the odd game, surf the web and convert the odd
> movie file but nothing heavy duty.
>
> The PC spec is as follows:
>
> Pentium 4 3.0GZ (533 FSB)
> DFI Lanparty Pro 875 Mobo
> 1024 MB PC 3200 DDR Ram (SINGLE channel as not a matched pair of DIMMS)
> running at 333 Mhz. Tried running them on Double Channel but had a very
> unstable result
>
> My question is, would my PC run better if I got 2 x 256MB MATCHED DDR Dimms
> and run them as Dual Channel even though I've effectively halfed the amount
> of RAM?
>
> Also, should I expect much of a speed benefit of getting the 800FSB version
> of the CPU (my mobo supports 800FSB but the current CPU is only the 533 FSB
> one)
>
> Thanks everyone in advance!
>
> Adam

I would stay with the system as is.
Only extreme gaming will be noticed, if at all.