Overclocking P4?

I was pretty set on getting a 3.2Ghz P4 Prescott, then thought maybe I'd be
better off OC'ing something instead. The thing is that the processor isn't
my only consideration. Whatever I wind up with needs to have Gigabit
Ethernet (with CSA bus or similar so it does not run over the PCI bus) and
Serial ATA that is RAID capable and supports ECC. I noticed that the Epox
4PCA3+ board has an additional IDE RAID controller built in - something like
that would be great but not really mandatory. Basically I want a pretty
high-end board. I was leaning toward Intel because they currently lead in
most reviews, but if I can do more with AMD I wouldn't object (I'm running
AMD now).

So given all that, the question is - would I be better off going with my
original choice or is there some combination of motherboard/CPU that I can
overclock for even better (20% or more) performance, same or less cost and
still get the peripherals and stability I want? (Yeah, I know there's a lot
of information out there - too damn much. And a lot of it is BS too.)
9 answers Last reply
More about overclocking

    There is a board that fits your desctiption almost perfectly: the Asus
    P4C800-E Deluxe:
    http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.htm

    > Whatever I wind up with needs to have Gigabit
    > Ethernet (with CSA bus or similar so it does not run over the PCI bus)

    Intel CSA Gigabit LAN - check.

    > Serial ATA that is RAID capable and supports ECC.

    Don't know about ECC, but your onboard Promise RAID controller can make
    an array using 2x SATA and 2x ATA 133

    > Basically I want a pretty high-end board.

    This one is.

    > So given all that, the question is - would I be better off going with my
    > original choice or is there some combination of motherboard/CPU that I can
    > overclock for even better (20% or more) performance, same or less cost and
    > still get the peripherals and stability I want?

    This board can overclock itself, apparently - called AI overclocking. I
    have never seen it in action (or seen any reviews of it in action), but
    it looks promising.

    If you want an AMD board, go for the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe - SATA raid and
    gigabit LAN (but I have no idea if it is PCI or not). The sound chip on
    that board kicks arse as well...
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "BananaOfTheNight" <bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote in
    message news:capo5p$edh$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk...
    > There is a board that fits your desctiption almost perfectly: the Asus
    > P4C800-E Deluxe:
    > http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.htm

    Seen it mentioned serveral times but haven't looked it over yet. I will now.
    I know they have a good reputation.

    > If you want an AMD board, go for the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe - SATA raid and
    > gigabit LAN (but I have no idea if it is PCI or not). The sound chip on
    > that board kicks arse as well...

    Ok, I'll check that one out too. I like the on-board sound as I'm not a
    big-time gamer.

    A few quick questions about how to OC these boards. How do I know how far
    these boards will OC (before I buy it)? Most of the boards I'm familiar with
    are generally at their max with whatever processor I bought it with, and I
    don't see a lot of information on that link about it. Are the CPU and FSB
    clocked seperately? What about AGP, PCI, etc? (Seems like there is almost an
    individual bus for everything now - not like the old days).

    I've seen references to getting slower CPU's so you can clock the bus
    faster. I assume this means the CPU and the bus are tied together and that
    the CPU will reach it's max before the bus or memory will?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    IMHO Prescott is not good for overcloking. I have the 2.8E with MSI 865PE
    neo 2 PFISR and the thing overclocks up to 3.2 Ghz but Prime95 will halt
    after a few seconds. The max stable overclockin is 3.1 Ghz.

    If you need power and have the money buy the P 3.4C or the AMD 64 3400+.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I'm using PC 3200 kingston RAM. Maybe is because of that i get a poor
    overclocking.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Silvertip" <sparksr1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > To answer your last question first, you might want to check out the data
    > base at overclockers.com.

    This is actually one of the places I looked at some some pretty outrageous
    values for OC speeds, such as 4.9Ghz. I did see a lot of people list 3.6Ghz
    or thereabouts at 1.5v so that's where I was going to assume my highest
    potential was. Anything over that is gravy.

    > <snip> Since switching the mobo
    > etc to the watercooled case, I haven't done any messing around trying to
    get
    > any higher as I want to get all my flight sims etc. working first.
    > Bottom Line: I can strongly recommend the ASUS P4C800E Deluxe for the
    mobo
    > (it has everything you are looking for and then some) and with the recent
    > price drop on cpu's, I would recommend either the P4 2.8C or the P4 3.0C.
    > That way you get a HT cpu, save yourself some money, and even if you
    weren't
    > able to get any overclocking out of the chip at all, you would still have
    > fast cpu at stock speeds. Just my $0.02.

    What all did you water cool? How much did that cost?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    BananaOfTheNight wrote:
    > Slacker wrote:
    [...]
    >> Are the CPU and FSB clocked seperately? What about AGP, PCI, etc?
    >> (Seems like there is almost an individual bus for everything now -
    >> not like the
    > > old days).
    >
    > Nope. There is still the multiplier between the FSB and the CPU that
    > is locked in hardware, but I've read that you can unlock the
    > multiplier on Athlons by looping a thin bit of wire around 2 pins -
    > see here: http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/barton-06.html

    This does not unlock the CPU. It only changes the 5th multiplier bit, which
    some (older) boards can't change by themselves. There's nothing fancy inside
    like so-called translation tables, it's simply a 5-bit multiplier, and some
    boards can only set 4 bits of it. Most newer board handle the full 5-bit
    range though. This said, current Athlon XPs have their bridges die-locked,
    so you can't change the multiplier through the BIOS/pinmods/etc. Mobile
    Athlon XPs currently are NOT die-locked (though could theoretically become
    so at any point in time) and you can change the multiplier to whatever you
    want, however you want.

    I've got a writeup/rant about this at
    http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock

    [...]
    --
    Michael Brown
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "BananaOfTheNight" <bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote in
    message news:capo5p$edh$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk...
    > There is a board that fits your desctiption almost perfectly: the Asus
    > P4C800-E Deluxe:
    > http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.htm
    >
    > > Whatever I wind up with needs to have Gigabit
    > > Ethernet (with CSA bus or similar so it does not run over the PCI bus)
    >
    > Intel CSA Gigabit LAN - check.
    >
    > > Serial ATA that is RAID capable and supports ECC.
    >
    > Don't know about ECC, but your onboard Promise RAID controller can make
    > an array using 2x SATA and 2x ATA 133
    >
    > > Basically I want a pretty high-end board.
    >
    > This one is.
    >
    > > So given all that, the question is - would I be better off going with my
    > > original choice or is there some combination of motherboard/CPU that I
    can
    > > overclock for even better (20% or more) performance, same or less cost
    and
    > > still get the peripherals and stability I want?
    >
    > This board can overclock itself, apparently - called AI overclocking. I
    > have never seen it in action (or seen any reviews of it in action), but
    > it looks promising.
    >

    > If you want an AMD board, go for the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe - SATA raid and
    > gigabit LAN (but I have no idea if it is PCI or not). The sound chip on
    > that board kicks arse as well...
    And every1 who has one of these knows the boards are,,, great.
    Not just the A7N8X-E but the one's without the E and
    The Board I have http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm
    The Board That You "BananaOfTheNight"
    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-e-d/overview.htm#

    AMD Athlon XP 2200 CPU Running @ 2.175 2800+
    Denny. :-)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "NSA" <silva.adsl@sapo.pt> wrote in message
    > I'm using PC 3200 kingston RAM. Maybe is because of that i get a poor
    > overclocking.

    Hm, I've had problems myself with Kingston Memory.
    I now have Kingmax PC2700 & when I need ram again, either for this
    system, or my AMD system, I think I'm going to get more.
    I'm running the stuff @ a data rate 458 MHz
    Going by Sandra 2x 229MHz (458MHz data rate)
    Max bandwidth is 3664 Cool huh.

    Denny. :-)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Since I only had one system at the time, I wanted a ready-built product, and
    the Swiftech QuietPower case seemed like the perfect solution.
    Unfortunately, they had to stop making the system, as Lite-On stopped
    selling the server case that they modified for the system. It came with
    everything (hoses, radiator, fans, all wiring done, case modded, etc.) put
    together. All I had to do was install the mobo/cpu and attach the water
    block. I have never had a problem o/c'ing my graphics cards using only air
    so I didn't bother with getting any blocks except the cpu. Room temp stays
    right around 28c and the mobo/cpu temps usually stay around 29/33 idle and
    32/38 load. The second system is going in an Antec SLK3700AMB case and will
    be using the Koolance Exos Al. It is a portable unit that sits on top of
    the case and according to the reviews that I read, as long as I don't try
    any "extreme" o/c'ing, I should be able to get temps close to what the
    Swiftech gives. The difference in hose sizes (Swiftech uses 1/2" and the
    Koolance uses 3/8") may or may not make a difference. A couple of the
    reviews said that Koolance did a good job of designing the system to make
    the most of the smaller hose. I'll just have to wait and see. Also, with
    the Koolance, I only bought the cpu water block. If it gets to the point
    where I need better graphics cooling, I can always add the block later. HTH
    Silvertip
    "Slacker" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > "Silvertip" <sparksr1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > To answer your last question first, you might want to check out the data
    > > base at overclockers.com.
    >
    > This is actually one of the places I looked at some some pretty outrageous
    > values for OC speeds, such as 4.9Ghz. I did see a lot of people list
    3.6Ghz
    > or thereabouts at 1.5v so that's where I was going to assume my highest
    > potential was. Anything over that is gravy.
    >

    > > <snip> Since switching the mobo
    > > etc to the watercooled case, I haven't done any messing around trying to
    > get
    > > any higher as I want to get all my flight sims etc. working first.
    > > Bottom Line: I can strongly recommend the ASUS P4C800E Deluxe for the
    > mobo
    > > (it has everything you are looking for and then some) and with the
    recent
    > > price drop on cpu's, I would recommend either the P4 2.8C or the P4
    3.0C.
    > > That way you get a HT cpu, save yourself some money, and even if you
    > weren't
    > > able to get any overclocking out of the chip at all, you would still
    have
    > > fast cpu at stock speeds. Just my $0.02.
    >
    > What all did you water cool? How much did that cost?

Overclocking NAS / RAID Product