Athlon XP-M 2500+ FSB 266 VS Athlon XP 2500+ FSB 333

Hi,

I am planning to buy an Athlon 2500+ processor with the intention of
overclocking it to 2.2 Ghz (XP 3200 performance). Through the research
on the web, I've discovered that the mobile version of the cpu has an
unlocked multiplier which is good for overclocking while the desktop
version has a locked multiplier. So the mobile version sounds more
interesting but remains the question of the FSB. The mobile version
runs at 266 Mhz while the desktop version runs at 333 Mhz.

Can please anybody tell me if the difference of 66 Mhz gives an edge
to the desktop version ?

Also I noticed that for the multimedia instructions the mobile version
seems to be limited to SSE while the desktop version, I think, has
SSE2.

What's the best choice ?

Regards.

FSK
4 answers Last reply
More about athlon 2500 athlon 2500

    FSK wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to buy an Athlon 2500+ processor with the intention of
    > overclocking it to 2.2 Ghz (XP 3200 performance). Through the research
    > on the web, I've discovered that the mobile version of the cpu has an
    > unlocked multiplier which is good for overclocking while the desktop
    > version has a locked multiplier. So the mobile version sounds more
    > interesting but remains the question of the FSB. The mobile version
    > runs at 266 Mhz while the desktop version runs at 333 Mhz.

    You can run it at any FSB you like since it's unlocked. I run mine (mobile
    2400+) 12x200.

    > Can please anybody tell me if the difference of 66 Mhz gives an edge
    > to the desktop version ?
    >
    > Also I noticed that for the multimedia instructions the mobile version
    > seems to be limited to SSE while the desktop version, I think, has
    > SSE2.

    They're the same processor core.

    > What's the best choice ?
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > FSK
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Same here... I actually have the 2600mobile on a Abit NF7 mobo...
    running 12x220 as I speak... ummm, type. Granted, I'm using
    pc3700ram... I was gonna buy pc3200ram, but eneded up scoring a deal
    back when I bought this, so I said -bleep- it and bought the faster
    stuff. Now I'm glad I did. I've taken it higher, but for everyday
    use, 12x220 at 1.675v is fine- this RAM just gives me more top-end on
    my fsb. The 2500m should run about the same, maybe a little less on
    the top end. If you really want more, spend the extra $10 and get
    the 2600m... but either way, you can't lose.

    I've also read some intriguing reviews on overclocking the 35watt
    2400m, and supposedly this thing can really be cranked up with less
    operational heat, meaning a good cooling solution will give a higher
    yield, provided ram and motherboard support it.

    These mobile AMDs remind of the heady days of the 1700xp... all of
    less than 2 yrs ago when people were cranking THOSE up to 2300mhz and
    higher.

    ==============
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Does anyone know if the Athlon XP-M 2500+ (266) would run on an Epox 8kha+ motherboard? If so, how
    high could it reasonably be overclocked to, using my existing PC2100 RAM? How about with a RAM
    upgrade to PC2700 or PC3200?

    Thanks!

    hey wrote:

    > Same here... I actually have the 2600mobile on a Abit NF7 mobo...
    > running 12x220 as I speak... ummm, type. Granted, I'm using
    > pc3700ram... I was gonna buy pc3200ram, but eneded up scoring a deal
    > back when I bought this, so I said -bleep- it and bought the faster
    > stuff. Now I'm glad I did. I've taken it higher, but for everyday
    > use, 12x220 at 1.675v is fine- this RAM just gives me more top-end on
    > my fsb. The 2500m should run about the same, maybe a little less on
    > the top end. If you really want more, spend the extra $10 and get
    > the 2600m... but either way, you can't lose.
    >
    > I've also read some intriguing reviews on overclocking the 35watt
    > 2400m, and supposedly this thing can really be cranked up with less
    > operational heat, meaning a good cooling solution will give a higher
    > yield, provided ram and motherboard support it.
    >
    > These mobile AMDs remind of the heady days of the 1700xp... all of
    > less than 2 yrs ago when people were cranking THOSE up to 2300mhz and
    > higher.
    >
    > ==============
    > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I have a M XP 2500 running on an abit an7
    219 x 11 (1.71 vlts) @ 2.41 Ghz
    2 x 256 OCZ dual channel gold pc 4000
    Swiftech MCX 462
    Get the mobile yet a good heat sink

[...]