Question about an oold piece of junk

Hello
Is there a way to remove the thermal slug on a Pentium II or someone have
experienced lapping with PII?

Thanks

I assume you wish to overclock. The Pentium II has an off-chip L2 cache
which much also be cooled, so doing anything to the CPU thermal surface
still leaves the problem of the L2 cache. Also, the Pentium II is not going
to be such a speed demon. The slowest Pentium II CPUs are based on a 66 MHz
FSB (with an unlocked, or limited multipler.) These, I think, topped out at
333 MHz. The faster Pentium II CPUs had a 100 MHz FSB, and while the 350
MHz Pentium II had an unlocked multiplier, the 450 and up had locked
multipliers. I think there might have been a Pentium II 550, but perhaps
the top speed was only 500 MHz. At any rate, a Pentium II 350 will
overclock to maybe 550, but that's it no matter what you do. A better
choice would be an SECC2 Celeron 300a or maybe a Celeron 366. These CPUs
have only 1/4 the L2 cache size as the Pentium II, but the L2 cache is on
the same chip as the CPU, and runs at the full CPU speed, rather than half
the CPU speed as the Pentium II CPUs do. The Celeron (pre 'Coppermine')
was produced with speeds up to 533 MHz, all using a 66 MHz FSB.
Overclocking the Celeron 300a is just about the easiest overclock there is;
just force the FSB to 100 MHz, and there you are, running at 450 MHz with
everything stock (well, maybe a slight core voltage increase, but certainly
nothing but the stock Intel supplied cooling.) The Celeron 366 at 550 MHz
is about as high as you can expect to go with a pre 'Coppermine' CPU, but
both of these overclocks allow standard PCI and AGP bus speeds with a 50%
overclock of the FSB because you just increase the FSB to a standard 100
MHz.

You can do all sorts of nice lapping on the heat slug for an SECC2 Celeron,
but it's not really necessary in most cases (though some slugs were a bit
concave.)

Bottom line, try to get 550 MHz out of a Pentium II, but don't invest any
time in changing the heat transfer surfaces; it will be complex, and not
worth the trouble - if you just gotta do it, use a better heatsink and fan
attached to the spreader plate in the Slot 1 Cartridge that contacts both
the CPU slug AND the L2 memory chips. Better yet, find a Celeron 300a or
366, and lap to your heart's content.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

Phil Weldon wrote:
> I assume you wish to overclock. The Pentium II has an off-chip L2 cache
> which much also be cooled, so doing anything to the CPU thermal surface
> still leaves the problem of the L2 cache. Also, the Pentium II is not going
> to be such a speed demon. The slowest Pentium II CPUs are based on a 66 MHz
> FSB (with an unlocked, or limited multipler.) These, I think, topped out at
> 333 MHz. The faster Pentium II CPUs had a 100 MHz FSB, and while the 350
> MHz Pentium II had an unlocked multiplier, the 450 and up had locked
> multipliers. I think there might have been a Pentium II 550, but perhaps
> the top speed was only 500 MHz.

The PII was 233Mhz - 450Mhz, 450 was the only speed that 'overlapped'
with the PIII.

PII 233Mhz - 333Mhz were all 66Mhz FSB with unlocked/limited multiplier.
350Mhz - 450Mhz were all 100Mhz FSB, and all were multiplier locked AFAIK.

IME the off-die L2 cache was the overclock limiter on all PIIs, you
could always go further with L2 disabled - but there was no point in
doing so and the L2 rarely, if ever, responded to efforts to improve
heat transfer.

> At any rate, a Pentium II 350 will
> overclock to maybe 550, but that's it no matter what you do. A better
> choice would be an SECC2 Celeron 300a or maybe a Celeron 366. These CPUs
> have only 1/4 the L2 cache size as the Pentium II, but the L2 cache is on
> the same chip as the CPU, and runs at the full CPU speed, rather than half
> the CPU speed as the Pentium II CPUs do. The Celeron (pre 'Coppermine')
> was produced with speeds up to 533 MHz, all using a 66 MHz FSB.
> Overclocking the Celeron 300a is just about the easiest overclock there is;
> just force the FSB to 100 MHz, and there you are, running at 450 MHz with
> everything stock (well, maybe a slight core voltage increase, but certainly
> nothing but the stock Intel supplied cooling.) The Celeron 366 at 550 MHz
> is about as high as you can expect to go with a pre 'Coppermine' CPU, but
> both of these overclocks allow standard PCI and AGP bus speeds with a 50%
> overclock of the FSB because you just increase the FSB to a standard 100
> MHz.
>
> You can do all sorts of nice lapping on the heat slug for an SECC2 Celeron,
> but it's not really necessary in most cases (though some slugs were a bit
> concave.)
>
> Bottom line, try to get 550 MHz out of a Pentium II, but don't invest any
> time in changing the heat transfer surfaces; it will be complex, and not
> worth the trouble - if you just gotta do it, use a better heatsink and fan
> attached to the spreader plate in the Slot 1 Cartridge that contacts both
> the CPU slug AND the L2 memory chips. Better yet, find a Celeron 300a or
> 366, and lap to your heart's content.

hey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

Good info here. I've been toying with tweaking some old p2 based
systems I have kicking around; this gives me a good reference. And
also explains why my Celly 233 clocks so well all things considered.

Thank you :)

TRENDING THREADS