ANTEC TruePower 550 vs. TrueControl 550?

Hi,

I have been using the ANTEC TruePower 550 for a few months and I was just
wondering why some people go for the TrueControl instead? I understand that
the TrueControl allows you to adjust your separate rails, but why would you
want to do this?. Also I was put off buying the TrueControl as it looked
like it came with a 3.5" box that needed fitting into a front drive bay?
Isn't that a bit *iffy* having your pot adjuster on the front of the case?

So really I'm interested to hear the reasons why someone would buy the
TrueControl instead of the TruePower?

Thanks

P.S: I have also been running my two rear 80mm exhaust fans from the
*Fan-Only* headers but I don't like it. . . .the fans seem to be really
turning slowly?
--
Wayne ][
7 answers Last reply

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:34:57 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
    <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have been using the ANTEC TruePower 550 for a few months and I was just
    >wondering why some people go for the TrueControl instead? I understand that
    >the TrueControl allows you to adjust your separate rails, but why would you
    >want to do this?. Also I was put off buying the TrueControl as it looked
    >like it came with a 3.5" box that needed fitting into a front drive bay?
    >Isn't that a bit *iffy* having your pot adjuster on the front of the case?
    >
    >So really I'm interested to hear the reasons why someone would buy the
    >TrueControl instead of the TruePower?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >P.S: I have also been running my two rear 80mm exhaust fans from the
    >*Fan-Only* headers but I don't like it. . . .the fans seem to be really
    >turning slowly?

    The fans spin around 1300rpm until the powersupply thinks it's too hot
    which seems to be never.

    I put my case fans on a fan speed controller so I can crank them up
    when I want to.

    PS the true control was a screwball idea. I suspect it's a sadistic
    joke aimed at the anal retentive gadget freaks out there.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    tweak@this.com wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:34:57 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
    > <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have been using the ANTEC TruePower 550 for a few months and I was just
    >>wondering why some people go for the TrueControl instead? I understand that
    >>the TrueControl allows you to adjust your separate rails, but why would you
    >>want to do this?. Also I was put off buying the TrueControl as it looked
    >>like it came with a 3.5" box that needed fitting into a front drive bay?
    >>Isn't that a bit *iffy* having your pot adjuster on the front of the case?
    >>
    >>So really I'm interested to hear the reasons why someone would buy the
    >>TrueControl instead of the TruePower?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>P.S: I have also been running my two rear 80mm exhaust fans from the
    >>*Fan-Only* headers but I don't like it. . . .the fans seem to be really
    >>turning slowly?
    >

    > The fans spin around 1300rpm until the powersupply thinks it's too hot
    > which seems to be never.
    >
    > I put my case fans on a fan speed controller so I can crank them up
    > when I want to.
    >
    > PS the true control was a screwball idea. I suspect it's a sadistic
    > joke aimed at the anal retentive gadget freaks out there.

    Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....

    I don't know if I should confess that I use one...

    It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
    individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
    supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
    parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
    down, then the other..

    Sorry, have to run, the smallest room calls...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Palindrâ~»me" <sb382638@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....
    >
    > I don't know if I should confess that I use one...
    >
    > It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
    > individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
    > supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
    > parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
    > down, then the other..
    >

    > Sorry, have to run, the smallest room calls...

    Why not just add a female ATX power connector with
    just the 14&15 pins (the power-on & ground return) wired
    to your existing power supply's connector. 22AWG should
    do. Then just plug your extra power supply ATX connector
    in to the female one you added. Use the extra to power all
    off board devices (won't help USB or PS2 ports though).
    Finding room for the extra will be your biggest problem.

    Luck;
    Ken
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Ken Maltby wrote:

    > "Palindrâ~»me" <sb382638@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....
    >>
    >>I don't know if I should confess that I use one...
    >>
    >>It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
    >>individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
    >>supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
    >>parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
    >>down, then the other..
    >>

    >>Sorry, have to run, the smallest room calls...
    >>

    > Why not just add a female ATX power connector with
    > just the 14&15 pins (the power-on & ground return) wired
    > to your existing power supply's connector. 22AWG should
    > do. Then just plug your extra power supply ATX connector
    > in to the female one you added. Use the extra to power all
    > off board devices (won't help USB or PS2 ports though).
    > Finding room for the extra will be your biggest problem.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Yep, I use that to get the two supplies (plus a third used
    to power the hdds) to start up. But my backplane needs more
    amps than a single unit can chuck out and two 500W are
    cheaper than a single 1000W power supply.

    Unless anyone knows a good source of 1000W power supplies?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:58:21 +0100, Palindr?me
    <sb382638@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

    >tweak@this.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:34:57 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
    >> <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have been using the ANTEC TruePower 550 for a few months and I was just
    >>>wondering why some people go for the TrueControl instead? I understand that
    >>>the TrueControl allows you to adjust your separate rails, but why would you
    >>>want to do this?. Also I was put off buying the TrueControl as it looked
    >>>like it came with a 3.5" box that needed fitting into a front drive bay?
    >>>Isn't that a bit *iffy* having your pot adjuster on the front of the case?
    >>>
    >>>So really I'm interested to hear the reasons why someone would buy the
    >>>TrueControl instead of the TruePower?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>P.S: I have also been running my two rear 80mm exhaust fans from the
    >>>*Fan-Only* headers but I don't like it. . . .the fans seem to be really
    >>>turning slowly?
    >>

    >> The fans spin around 1300rpm until the powersupply thinks it's too hot
    >> which seems to be never.
    >>
    >> I put my case fans on a fan speed controller so I can crank them up
    >> when I want to.
    >>
    >> PS the true control was a screwball idea. I suspect it's a sadistic
    >> joke aimed at the anal retentive gadget freaks out there.
    >>

    >Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....
    >
    >I don't know if I should confess that I use one...
    >
    >It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
    >individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
    >supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
    >parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
    >down, then the other..

    It is my confusion, or was the OP talking about _one_ power supply,
    yet someone this thread has morphed into a conversation about using
    two P/S in parallel to provide more power than say 500 W from one unit
    alone.

    For me, the interesting point is why I would want TrueControl instead
    of TruePower.

    (Also, can someone say why he has chosen Antec instead of say Enermax,
    which was everyone's darling P/S say a year or two ago. What has
    changed?)

    >Sorry, have to run, the smallest room calls...
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Winey wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:58:21 +0100, Palindr?me
    > <sb382638@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>tweak@this.com wrote:

    >>>The fans spin around 1300rpm until the powersupply thinks it's too hot
    >>>which seems to be never.
    >>>
    >>>I put my case fans on a fan speed controller so I can crank them up
    >>>when I want to.
    >>>
    >>>PS the true control was a screwball idea. I suspect it's a sadistic
    >>>joke aimed at the anal retentive gadget freaks out there.
    >>>

    >>Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....
    >>
    >>I don't know if I should confess that I use one...
    >>
    >>It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
    >>individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
    >>supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
    >>parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
    >>down, then the other..
    >

    > It is my confusion, or was the OP talking about _one_ power supply,
    > yet someone this thread has morphed into a conversation about using
    > two P/S in parallel to provide more power than say 500 W from one unit
    > alone.
    >
    > For me, the interesting point is why I would want TrueControl instead
    > of TruePower.

    The OP asked why you would want independent adjustment of
    power rails - the one good reason for wanting that is if you
    intended to parallel connect supplies. Why would you want
    TrueControl instead of TruePower? An answer is, if you
    thought that it might not be enough in the future and wanted
    the option of adding on another supply rather than replacing
    it. Hope that helps...
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Palindrâ~»me" wrote
    > The OP asked why you would want independent adjustment of
    > power rails - the one good reason for wanting that is if you
    > intended to parallel connect supplies. Why would you want
    > TrueControl instead of TruePower? An answer is, if you
    > thought that it might not be enough in the future and wanted
    > the option of adding on another supply rather than replacing
    > it. Hope that helps...

    Hi,
    yes it does help. I had no idea that the adjustable *pots* were beneficial
    to someone who was using *Dual* PSU's?. Kinda always wondered what the
    difference was but in the end I just went with the TruePower 550 because it
    didn't have that separate bay-thing. . .

    Thanks all for replies :)
    --
    Wayne ][

Truepower Antec Overclocking