ANTEC TruePower 550 vs. TrueControl 550?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2004 3:34:57 PM

Hi,

I have been using the ANTEC TruePower 550 for a few months and I was just
wondering why some people go for the TrueControl instead? I understand that
the TrueControl allows you to adjust your separate rails, but why would you
want to do this?. Also I was put off buying the TrueControl as it looked
like it came with a 3.5" box that needed fitting into a front drive bay?
Isn't that a bit *iffy* having your pot adjuster on the front of the case?

So really I'm interested to hear the reasons why someone would buy the
TrueControl instead of the TruePower?

Thanks

P.S: I have also been running my two rear 80mm exhaust fans from the
*Fan-Only* headers but I don't like it. . . .the fans seem to be really
turning slowly?
--
Wayne ][
June 24, 2004 4:31:22 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:34:57 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
<waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have been using the ANTEC TruePower 550 for a few months and I was just
>wondering why some people go for the TrueControl instead? I understand that
>the TrueControl allows you to adjust your separate rails, but why would you
>want to do this?. Also I was put off buying the TrueControl as it looked
>like it came with a 3.5" box that needed fitting into a front drive bay?
>Isn't that a bit *iffy* having your pot adjuster on the front of the case?
>
>So really I'm interested to hear the reasons why someone would buy the
>TrueControl instead of the TruePower?
>
>Thanks
>
>P.S: I have also been running my two rear 80mm exhaust fans from the
>*Fan-Only* headers but I don't like it. . . .the fans seem to be really
>turning slowly?

The fans spin around 1300rpm until the powersupply thinks it's too hot
which seems to be never.

I put my case fans on a fan speed controller so I can crank them up
when I want to.

PS the true control was a screwball idea. I suspect it's a sadistic
joke aimed at the anal retentive gadget freaks out there.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2004 12:58:21 AM

tweak@this.com wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:34:57 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
> <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have been using the ANTEC TruePower 550 for a few months and I was just
>>wondering why some people go for the TrueControl instead? I understand that
>>the TrueControl allows you to adjust your separate rails, but why would you
>>want to do this?. Also I was put off buying the TrueControl as it looked
>>like it came with a 3.5" box that needed fitting into a front drive bay?
>>Isn't that a bit *iffy* having your pot adjuster on the front of the case?
>>
>>So really I'm interested to hear the reasons why someone would buy the
>>TrueControl instead of the TruePower?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>P.S: I have also been running my two rear 80mm exhaust fans from the
>>*Fan-Only* headers but I don't like it. . . .the fans seem to be really
>>turning slowly?
>

> The fans spin around 1300rpm until the powersupply thinks it's too hot
> which seems to be never.
>
> I put my case fans on a fan speed controller so I can crank them up
> when I want to.
>
> PS the true control was a screwball idea. I suspect it's a sadistic
> joke aimed at the anal retentive gadget freaks out there.

Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....

I don't know if I should confess that I use one...

It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
down, then the other..

Sorry, have to run, the smallest room calls...
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2004 4:11:09 PM

"Palindrâ~»me" <sb382638@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....
>
> I don't know if I should confess that I use one...
>
> It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
> individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
> supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
> parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
> down, then the other..
>

> Sorry, have to run, the smallest room calls...

Why not just add a female ATX power connector with
just the 14&15 pins (the power-on & ground return) wired
to your existing power supply's connector. 22AWG should
do. Then just plug your extra power supply ATX connector
in to the female one you added. Use the extra to power all
off board devices (won't help USB or PS2 ports though).
Finding room for the extra will be your biggest problem.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2004 10:41:48 PM

Ken Maltby wrote:

> "Palindrâ~»me" <sb382638@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....
>>
>>I don't know if I should confess that I use one...
>>
>>It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
>>individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
>>supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
>>parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
>>down, then the other..
>>

>>Sorry, have to run, the smallest room calls...
>>

> Why not just add a female ATX power connector with
> just the 14&15 pins (the power-on & ground return) wired
> to your existing power supply's connector. 22AWG should
> do. Then just plug your extra power supply ATX connector
> in to the female one you added. Use the extra to power all
> off board devices (won't help USB or PS2 ports though).
> Finding room for the extra will be your biggest problem.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Yep, I use that to get the two supplies (plus a third used
to power the hdds) to start up. But my backplane needs more
amps than a single unit can chuck out and two 500W are
cheaper than a single 1000W power supply.

Unless anyone knows a good source of 1000W power supplies?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2004 7:39:46 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:58:21 +0100, Palindr?me
<sb382638@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>tweak@this.com wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:34:57 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
>> <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have been using the ANTEC TruePower 550 for a few months and I was just
>>>wondering why some people go for the TrueControl instead? I understand that
>>>the TrueControl allows you to adjust your separate rails, but why would you
>>>want to do this?. Also I was put off buying the TrueControl as it looked
>>>like it came with a 3.5" box that needed fitting into a front drive bay?
>>>Isn't that a bit *iffy* having your pot adjuster on the front of the case?
>>>
>>>So really I'm interested to hear the reasons why someone would buy the
>>>TrueControl instead of the TruePower?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>P.S: I have also been running my two rear 80mm exhaust fans from the
>>>*Fan-Only* headers but I don't like it. . . .the fans seem to be really
>>>turning slowly?
>>

>> The fans spin around 1300rpm until the powersupply thinks it's too hot
>> which seems to be never.
>>
>> I put my case fans on a fan speed controller so I can crank them up
>> when I want to.
>>
>> PS the true control was a screwball idea. I suspect it's a sadistic
>> joke aimed at the anal retentive gadget freaks out there.
>>

>Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....
>
>I don't know if I should confess that I use one...
>
>It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
>individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
>supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
>parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
>down, then the other..

It is my confusion, or was the OP talking about _one_ power supply,
yet someone this thread has morphed into a conversation about using
two P/S in parallel to provide more power than say 500 W from one unit
alone.

For me, the interesting point is why I would want TrueControl instead
of TruePower.

(Also, can someone say why he has chosen Antec instead of say Enermax,
which was everyone's darling P/S say a year or two ago. What has
changed?)

>Sorry, have to run, the smallest room calls...
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2004 4:53:07 AM

Winey wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:58:21 +0100, Palindr?me
> <sb382638@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>>tweak@this.com wrote:

>>>The fans spin around 1300rpm until the powersupply thinks it's too hot
>>>which seems to be never.
>>>
>>>I put my case fans on a fan speed controller so I can crank them up
>>>when I want to.
>>>
>>>PS the true control was a screwball idea. I suspect it's a sadistic
>>>joke aimed at the anal retentive gadget freaks out there.
>>>

>>Sorry for the delay in replying..I was erm ..busy.....
>>
>>I don't know if I should confess that I use one...
>>
>>It runs in parallel with a standard Truepower and the
>>individual adjustments allow me to balance the load on each
>>supply between the two units. Two standard truepowers in
>>parallel doesn't work - one takes the full load and shuts
>>down, then the other..
>

> It is my confusion, or was the OP talking about _one_ power supply,
> yet someone this thread has morphed into a conversation about using
> two P/S in parallel to provide more power than say 500 W from one unit
> alone.
>
> For me, the interesting point is why I would want TrueControl instead
> of TruePower.

The OP asked why you would want independent adjustment of
power rails - the one good reason for wanting that is if you
intended to parallel connect supplies. Why would you want
TrueControl instead of TruePower? An answer is, if you
thought that it might not be enough in the future and wanted
the option of adding on another supply rather than replacing
it. Hope that helps...
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2004 5:10:26 AM

"Palindrâ~»me" wrote
> The OP asked why you would want independent adjustment of
> power rails - the one good reason for wanting that is if you
> intended to parallel connect supplies. Why would you want
> TrueControl instead of TruePower? An answer is, if you
> thought that it might not be enough in the future and wanted
> the option of adding on another supply rather than replacing
> it. Hope that helps...

Hi,
yes it does help. I had no idea that the adjustable *pots* were beneficial
to someone who was using *Dual* PSU's?. Kinda always wondered what the
difference was but in the end I just went with the TruePower 550 because it
didn't have that separate bay-thing. . .

Thanks all for replies :)
--
Wayne ][
!