spencer

Ok, this might sound a bit daft but hang in there with me.

Simple water cooling system with the obvious blocks (CPU and VGA). Most WC
have a fan system and radiator but as we all know that the idea of a silent
PC is no fans right!

So here is an idea of sorts. A small mini fridge/freezer with the radiator
installed either with or without fans. The pipes coming out of the side and
sealed to prevent loss of temp.

Anyone done this?
Stupid Idea?

I have my setup in the Garage so noise is not a problem due to a
fridge/freezer already in here.

Looking on the bonus side, you could also keep the beers in there too!

Spence

Refrigerators/Freezers don't have the capacity to deal with that much heat
continuously.

"Spencer" <warthog@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Ok, this might sound a bit daft but hang in there with me.
>
> Simple water cooling system with the obvious blocks (CPU and VGA). Most WC
> have a fan system and radiator but as we all know that the idea of a
silent
> PC is no fans right!
>
> So here is an idea of sorts. A small mini fridge/freezer with the radiator
> installed either with or without fans. The pipes coming out of the side
and
> sealed to prevent loss of temp.
>
> Anyone done this?
> Stupid Idea?
>
> I have my setup in the Garage so noise is not a problem due to a
> fridge/freezer already in here.
>
> Looking on the bonus side, you could also keep the beers in there too!
>
> Spence

Spencer typed:

> Ok, this might sound a bit daft but hang in there with me.
>
> Simple water cooling system with the obvious blocks (CPU and VGA).
> Most WC have a fan system and radiator but as we all know that the
> idea of a silent PC is no fans right!
>
> So here is an idea of sorts. A small mini fridge/freezer with the
> radiator installed either with or without fans. The pipes coming out
> of the side and sealed to prevent loss of temp.
>
> Anyone done this?
> Stupid Idea?
>
> I have my setup in the Garage so noise is not a problem due to a
> fridge/freezer already in here.
>
> Looking on the bonus side, you could also keep the beers in there too!
>
> Spence

One of the options is also to have a large block, like on some freezers
without a fan - which have block across entire back side of the freezer, so
when water flows through it it has enough time to cool down.
Using inside of freezer might result in often need for de-freezing, since a
lot of humidity and as a result a lot of ice would be in it in very short
time.
Using air condition might get some results, too :)

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Spencer typed:
>
> > Ok, this might sound a bit daft but hang in there with me.
> >
> > Simple water cooling system with the obvious blocks (CPU and VGA).
> > Most WC have a fan system and radiator but as we all know that the
> > idea of a silent PC is no fans right!
> >
> > So here is an idea of sorts. A small mini fridge/freezer with the
> > radiator installed either with or without fans. The pipes coming out
> > of the side and sealed to prevent loss of temp.
> >
> > Anyone done this?
> > Stupid Idea?
> >
> > I have my setup in the Garage so noise is not a problem due to a
> > fridge/freezer already in here.
> >
> > Looking on the bonus side, you could also keep the beers in there too!
> >
> > Spence
>
> One of the options is also to have a large block, like on some freezers
> without a fan - which have block across entire back side of the freezer,
so
> when water flows through it it has enough time to cool down.
> Using inside of freezer might result in often need for de-freezing, since
> lot of humidity and as a result a lot of ice would be in it in very short
> time.
> Using air condition might get some results, too :)

Actually this comes up over and over again. I've done
it myself. A refrigerator even a large refrigerator can't
handle the continuos heat load. Now the air conditioner
is another story.

Luck;
Ken

> Actually this comes up over and over again. I've done
>it myself. A refrigerator even a large refrigerator can't
>handle the continuos heat load. Now the air conditioner
>is another story.
>
>Luck;
> Ken

Especially newer 'fridges. Today they are made with a much smaller
refrigerating system but much better insulation. My grandma had some
ancient freezer, and when you loaded it up, the food froze quickly,
but if you touch the side, it was downright COLD. My freezer is really
light, quiet, doesn't make the lights dim when it kicks on, and is
room temp on the outside, but a couple dozen pounds of halibut and
salmon take a while to freeze. I have NEVER heard it kick on unless
someone opens it.

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

titan

Distinguished
May 15, 2001

I would think that you would need a largish radiator since the water travels
that fast it prob would not have enuf time to properly cool down....or
install a fan with it!

--
HOMER : It's not easy to juggle a pregnant
wife and a troubled child, but somehow I

TitaN

Noozer wrote:
> Refrigerators/Freezers don't have the capacity to deal with that much
> heat continuously.

One day, when I'm rich, (Hah!) I'm gonna use my PCs to heat my aquariums. I
have four of each. The heat out-put from my CPUs/GPUs almost exactly matches
the heat input requirements for my aquariums, at least for most of the year.

Now wouldn't that be elegant and efficient?
--
~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:

> Noozer wrote:
>
>>Refrigerators/Freezers don't have the capacity to deal with that much
>>heat continuously.
>

> One day, when I'm rich, (Hah!) I'm gonna use my PCs to heat my aquariums. I
> have four of each. The heat out-put from my CPUs/GPUs almost exactly matches
> the heat input requirements for my aquariums, at least for most of the year.
>
> Now wouldn't that be elegant and efficient?
> --
> ~misfit~
>

>>"Spencer" <warthog@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Ok, this might sound a bit daft but hang in there with me.
>>>
>>>Simple water cooling system with the obvious blocks (CPU and VGA).
>>>Most WC have a fan system and radiator but as we all know that the
>>>idea of a silent PC is no fans right!
>>>
>>>So here is an idea of sorts. A small mini fridge/freezer with the
>>>radiator installed either with or without fans. The pipes coming out
>>>of the side and sealed to prevent loss of temp.
>>>
>>>Anyone done this?
>>>Stupid Idea?
>>>
>>>I have my setup in the Garage so noise is not a problem due to a
>>>fridge/freezer already in here.
>>>
>>>Looking on the bonus side, you could also keep the beers in there
>>>too!
>>>
>>>Spence

A LOT OT but, for many years, I had a home built Trevithick
beam engine in use as the air pump for my tank, using the
water in the tank as the condenser. It still used the same
amount of electricity but, as for your computer project,
entertained far more in the process. The problem came in
that, as a single variable system, the fish often had too
little air and too much heat. You may find the same problem
of having your computing hours limited by your fishes
preference of avoiding par-boiling...

The new temperature gauge for over-clockers, how many fish
are floating belly-up? :)

Ken Maltby typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Spencer typed:
>>
>>> Ok, this might sound a bit daft but hang in there with me.
>>>
>>> Simple water cooling system with the obvious blocks (CPU and VGA).
>>> Most WC have a fan system and radiator but as we all know that the
>>> idea of a silent PC is no fans right!
>>>
>>> So here is an idea of sorts. A small mini fridge/freezer with the
>>> radiator installed either with or without fans. The pipes coming out
>>> of the side and sealed to prevent loss of temp.
>>>
>>> Anyone done this?
>>> Stupid Idea?
>>>
>>> I have my setup in the Garage so noise is not a problem due to a
>>> fridge/freezer already in here.
>>>
>>> Looking on the bonus side, you could also keep the beers in there
>>> too!
>>>
>>> Spence
>>
>> One of the options is also to have a large block, like on some
>> freezers without a fan - which have block across entire back side of
>> the freezer, so when water flows through it it has enough time to
>> cool down.
>> Using inside of freezer might result in often need for de-freezing,
>> since a lot of humidity and as a result a lot of ice would be in it
>> in very short time.
>> Using air condition might get some results, too :)
>>

> Actually this comes up over and over again. I've done
> it myself. A refrigerator even a large refrigerator can't
> handle the continuos heat load. Now the air conditioner
> is another story.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

I guess you're right about it. Some kind of forced cooling would be still
necesarry.
Maybe a man could get long and narrow block, so it will fit just before air
condition blower, but it would have to be with tiny pipes, so that air would
still be able to blow through them in the room. But, then it's possible that
air would be hot again...while getting AC just for PC purpose would be very
expensive...and we're again at non-quiet system, since first idea of this
thread was to build totally quiet, non-fan system.

> Ken Maltby typed:
>
> > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> >> Spencer typed:

> > Actually this comes up over and over again. I've done
> > it myself. A refrigerator even a large refrigerator can't
> > handle the continuos heat load. Now the air conditioner
> > is another story.
> >
> > Luck;
> > Ken
>
> I guess you're right about it. Some kind of forced cooling would be still
> necesarry.
> Maybe a man could get long and narrow block, so it will fit just before
air
> condition blower, but it would have to be with tiny pipes, so that air
would
> still be able to blow through them in the room. But, then it's possible
that
> air would be hot again...while getting AC just for PC purpose would be
very
> expensive...and we're again at non-quiet system, since first idea of this
> thread was to build totally quiet, non-fan system.

Actually you can often pick-up a new 5000BTU window
unit on sale for ~$85. Perfectly good window units are
thrown away all the time, just clean & oil, straighten the fins
and it's good as new. I got a 10,000BTU for $5, and the
guy I got it from thought he had cheated me.

One of these days I'm going to find a good sized
broken refrigerator, gut it and mount a 19" rack.
I'll seal the back of it to a wall of the garage and
mount an airconditioner through the wall. With all the
insulation and the airconditioner mostly outside, it
should be fairly quite, even in the garage.

Or I could build an imitation "Tardis" (from "DR Who")
outside, nearer where I have my computer setup.

KMV distribution and USB2 should allow me to remote
the I/O. I use Virtual Drives now, so all I need the drives
for is the initial making of virtual disks. Most new games
run off the hard drives anyway. DVD burning and video
work in general is half duplex (one way, at a time) in nature,
and remoting should not be an insurmountable problem.

To veer back to the subject, you could build a simple
box on the front of a window airconditioner that directed
the cold air past your water system's heatercore/radiator(s)
before it is recirculated through the AC. Your pump could
also be located with the AC. You could have all these noise
producing components outside, or in the attic, or basement.
Then just use 1/2" PVC plumbing to bring your cooling fluid
to and from your computer. ( I use flexible vinyl tubing from
the wall to the computer parts)

If you put it outside, you could make it appear as an
airconditioned dog house, or garden tool shed.

Check out www.surpluscenter.com for less expensive water
pumps that can provide ~300-600GPH at whatever height
you may need.

Luck;
Ken

Ken Maltby typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Ken Maltby typed:
>>
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>> Actually this comes up over and over again. I've done
>>> it myself. A refrigerator even a large refrigerator can't
>>> handle the continuos heat load. Now the air conditioner
>>> is another story.
>>>
>>> Luck;
>>> Ken
>>
>> I guess you're right about it. Some kind of forced cooling would be
>> still necesarry.
>> Maybe a man could get long and narrow block, so it will fit just
>> before air condition blower, but it would have to be with tiny
>> pipes, so that air would still be able to blow through them in the
>> room. But, then it's possible that air would be hot again...while
>> getting AC just for PC purpose would be very expensive...and we're
>> again at non-quiet system, since first idea of this thread was to
>> build totally quiet, non-fan system.
>>

> Actually you can often pick-up a new 5000BTU window
> unit on sale for ~$85. Perfectly good window units are
> thrown away all the time, just clean & oil, straighten the fins
> and it's good as new. I got a 10,000BTU for $5, and the
> guy I got it from thought he had cheated me.
>
> One of these days I'm going to find a good sized
> broken refrigerator, gut it and mount a 19" rack.
> I'll seal the back of it to a wall of the garage and
> mount an airconditioner through the wall. With all the
> insulation and the airconditioner mostly outside, it
> should be fairly quite, even in the garage.
>
> Or I could build an imitation "Tardis" (from "DR Who")
> outside, nearer where I have my computer setup.
>
> KMV distribution and USB2 should allow me to remote
> the I/O. I use Virtual Drives now, so all I need the drives
> for is the initial making of virtual disks. Most new games
> run off the hard drives anyway. DVD burning and video
> work in general is half duplex (one way, at a time) in nature,
> and remoting should not be an insurmountable problem.
>
> To veer back to the subject, you could build a simple
> box on the front of a window airconditioner that directed
> the cold air past your water system's heatercore/radiator(s)
> before it is recirculated through the AC. Your pump could
> also be located with the AC. You could have all these noise
> producing components outside, or in the attic, or basement.
> Then just use 1/2" PVC plumbing to bring your cooling fluid
> to and from your computer. ( I use flexible vinyl tubing from
> the wall to the computer parts)
>
> If you put it outside, you could make it appear as an
> airconditioned dog house, or garden tool shed.
>
> Check out www.surpluscenter.com for less expensive water
> pumps that can provide ~300-600GPH at whatever height
> you may need.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Nice indeed...

"Spencer" <warthog@nospam.com> said:

> Simple water cooling system with the obvious blocks (CPU and VGA).
> Most WC have a fan system and radiator but as we all know that the
> idea of a silent PC is no fans right!
>
> So here is an idea of sorts. A small mini fridge/freezer with the
> radiator installed either with or without fans. The pipes coming out
> of the side and sealed to prevent loss of temp.

It's been done.

Evaporative cooling is quieter still and more energy efficient. The system
needs to be designed to keep as much dust out as possible, filters are a
plus and chemicals are a must.

I have seen systems on the web that claim to cool water below ambient, but
you're back to using fans to do so.
--
Mac Cool