URGENT ASSISTANCE WITH i9950 REQUIRED!!!!

Sorry for the heading, but I'm seriously panicking!!

It's always the way, isn't it? You have an urgent job to do and the printer
decides it's not going to co-operate. I don't know what the problem could be
and I've wasted nearly two packs of card stock attempting to find out. The
card stock I'm using (photo matt 210g/m²) I've used in the past with no
problems whatsoever. I have double checked the printer settings and they all
appear to be OK, but my prints are coming out covered in black streaks. This
is a commercial job (it's a service sheet for a funeral) and it NEEDS to be
PERFECT. The marks are appearing on the 'trailing' edge, IOW the edge that's
last out. As that edge goes through a scraping noise can be heard (I'm
trying to think what to liken it to - it sounds metallic rather than
plastic) and the resulting print is RUINED!! I cannot possibly give what I
have to my client - he wouldn't accept it and I'd be embarrassed to give it
to him.

I am going to be out all day tomorrow, and Sunday is the absolute FINAL DAY!
I've spent most of the day in tears (the client is my grandfather and the
funeral is for my grandmother). I feel as though I'm letting him down but,
more importantly, I'm letting HER down.

Can someone please help me identify what the scraping might be - I'm 100%
certain that, whatever it is, it's the cause of the blackening.
Unfortunately, this printer autosenses the thickeness of the media, and you
cannot run it with the lid up like you could with my old Epson. I spent £500
on this printer and it's only about two months old! If I could run it with
the lid up I could (possibly) see where it was catching, but lifting the
lids moves the printhead into the cartridge replacement position.

Can anyone help?! I also tried turning on the "prevent paper abrasion"
function, and that didn't make the slightest bit of difference! Canon TS
have been useless!

I NEED THIS DONE BEFORE TOMORROW!!!

*HELP!!!!*

--
My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually lose
his marbles?

[snip]

> If I could run it with
> the lid up I could (possibly) see where it was catching, but lifting the
> lids moves the printhead into the cartridge replacement position.

I do not know anything about this particular model, but there is typically an
optical sensor or small switch which is activated by a tab on the lid that
signals the printer when the lid is raised. You might look for the feature on
the lid and then stick a folded bit or card stock into the sensor to make the
printer operate with the lid open. DO not drop your paper shim into the
printer....

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:25:33 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
<misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>Sorry for the heading, but I'm seriously panicking!!
>
>It's always the way, isn't it? You have an urgent job to do and the printer
>decides it's not going to co-operate. I don't know what the problem could be
>and I've wasted nearly two packs of card stock attempting to find out. The
>card stock I'm using (photo matt 210g/m²) I've used in the past with no
>problems whatsoever. I have double checked the printer settings and they all
>appear to be OK, but my prints are coming out covered in black streaks. This
>is a commercial job (it's a service sheet for a funeral) and it NEEDS to be
>PERFECT. The marks are appearing on the 'trailing' edge, IOW the edge that's
>last out. As that edge goes through a scraping noise can be heard (I'm
>trying to think what to liken it to - it sounds metallic rather than
>plastic) and the resulting print is RUINED!! I cannot possibly give what I
>have to my client - he wouldn't accept it and I'd be embarrassed to give it
>to him.
>
>I am going to be out all day tomorrow, and Sunday is the absolute FINAL DAY!
>I've spent most of the day in tears (the client is my grandfather and the
>funeral is for my grandmother). I feel as though I'm letting him down but,
>more importantly, I'm letting HER down.
>
>Can someone please help me identify what the scraping might be - I'm 100%
>certain that, whatever it is, it's the cause of the blackening.
>Unfortunately, this printer autosenses the thickeness of the media, and you
>cannot run it with the lid up like you could with my old Epson. I spent £500
>on this printer and it's only about two months old! If I could run it with
>the lid up I could (possibly) see where it was catching, but lifting the
>lids moves the printhead into the cartridge replacement position.
>
>Can anyone help?! I also tried turning on the "prevent paper abrasion"
>function, and that didn't make the slightest bit of difference! Canon TS
>have been useless!
>
>I NEED THIS DONE BEFORE TOMORROW!!!
>
>*HELP!!!!*

This is common in my 960 as well.. It really really helps if you bend
the traiing edge corners down slightly so they are kinda rounded and
definately not curving upward one bit.

Also, if the paper is slightly raise on the leading edge where the
head first passes, you will also get those streaks as it may kinda hit
into it... this is common when printing heavy paper and or envelops
without using the "envelope" feature

But fortunately your problem seems to be the trailing edge so I bet if
you curl the corners down and maybe the entire bottom half ink, just
to is slighly lower than the reat of the paper, I bet it will be just
fine

The rubbin you hear infact is the paper touching the rear of the print
head. Its not near the nozzles and not threatening the nozzles in any
way but it is grabbing the splattered ink off the rear of the head and
smearing.

See if you could try the bend and or if you have a manual thickness
lever, that may cure it totally. Keep in mind, increasing the gap
between the head and the media may give different than expected
results.... Go for the slight rear bend and leading left edge bend..

<misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>Sorry for the heading, but I'm seriously panicking!!
>
>It's always the way, isn't it? You have an urgent job to do and the printer
>decides it's not going to co-operate. I don't know what the problem could be
>and I've wasted nearly two packs of card stock attempting to find out. The
>card stock I'm using (photo matt 210g/m²) I've used in the past with no
>problems whatsoever. I have double checked the printer settings and they all
>appear to be OK, but my prints are coming out covered in black streaks. This
>is a commercial job (it's a service sheet for a funeral) and it NEEDS to be
>PERFECT. The marks are appearing on the 'trailing' edge, IOW the edge that's
>last out. As that edge goes through a scraping noise can be heard (I'm
>trying to think what to liken it to - it sounds metallic rather than
>plastic) and the resulting print is RUINED!! I cannot possibly give what I
>have to my client - he wouldn't accept it and I'd be embarrassed to give it
>to him.
>
>I am going to be out all day tomorrow, and Sunday is the absolute FINAL DAY!
>I've spent most of the day in tears (the client is my grandfather and the
>funeral is for my grandmother). I feel as though I'm letting him down but,
>more importantly, I'm letting HER down.
>
>Can someone please help me identify what the scraping might be - I'm 100%
>certain that, whatever it is, it's the cause of the blackening.
>Unfortunately, this printer autosenses the thickeness of the media, and you
>cannot run it with the lid up like you could with my old Epson. I spent £500
>on this printer and it's only about two months old! If I could run it with
>the lid up I could (possibly) see where it was catching, but lifting the
>lids moves the printhead into the cartridge replacement position.
>
>Can anyone help?! I also tried turning on the "prevent paper abrasion"
>function, and that didn't make the slightest bit of difference! Canon TS
>have been useless!
>
>I NEED THIS DONE BEFORE TOMORROW!!!
>
>*HELP!!!!*

Oh, and one more thing.... you may want to try supporting the paper
with your hand as it nears the end so there is no leverage on the
trailing endge so it wont force it upward..

its something else to try... either way, what i suggested im sure you
will have great results....

Also, is there any way to slightly oversize your card stock or perhaps
shorten your artwork so you can have a "handling tab" where the
streaks may appear and then trip it with a paper trimmer, thus
discarding the smearing

Bob Headrick wrote:
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>
>> If I could run it with
>> the lid up I could (possibly) see where it was catching, but lifting
>> the lids moves the printhead into the cartridge replacement position.
>
> I do not know anything about this particular model, but there is
> typically an optical sensor or small switch which is activated by a
> tab on the lid that signals the printer when the lid is raised. You
> might look for the feature on the lid and then stick a folded bit or
> card stock into the sensor to make the printer operate with the lid
> open. DO not drop your paper shim into the printer....
>
> Regards,
> Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

What would it look like Bob? I can't see anything. I was supposed to be
going out tomorrow, but I can't go now! And there is no way I can give him
what I've done, they're all SPOILT!!
lose his marbles?

The trailing edge of the paper is curved enough to rub the print head.
Reverse flex the paper so that the leading and trailing edges of the paper
curve
downward or are flat.

The door sensors are near the left hand side hinge of the printer lid. You
need only
engage one of the two slots to activate the sensor. This will allow you to
watch
the print as it progresses so you can see exactly what is happening.

This is the reason why these printers put a thickness limit on the paper
that is much
smaller than what it seems to be able to handle. Paper changes properties
the longer
it is exposed to moisture (or lack of moisture). I ran into a similar
problem with a 4" x 6"
matte card stock and tried a new pack of the stock, the problem went away. I
now
bag all my paper stock to prevent such problems.

John Mills
--
WeInk.com Technical Support
Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759

beezer wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:25:33 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
> <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the heading, but I'm seriously panicking!!
>>
>> It's always the way, isn't it? You have an urgent job to do and the
>> printer decides it's not going to co-operate. I don't know what the
>> problem could be and I've wasted nearly two packs of card stock
>> attempting to find out. The card stock I'm using (photo matt
>> 210g/m²) I've used in the past with no problems whatsoever. I have
>> double checked the printer settings and they all appear to be OK,
>> but my prints are coming out covered in black streaks. This is a
>> commercial job (it's a service sheet for a funeral) and it NEEDS to
>> be PERFECT. The marks are appearing on the 'trailing' edge, IOW the
>> edge that's last out. As that edge goes through a scraping noise can
>> be heard (I'm trying to think what to liken it to - it sounds
>> metallic rather than plastic) and the resulting print is RUINED!! I
>> cannot possibly give what I have to my client - he wouldn't accept
>> it and I'd be embarrassed to give it to him.
>>
>> I am going to be out all day tomorrow, and Sunday is the absolute
>> FINAL DAY! I've spent most of the day in tears (the client is my
>> grandfather and the funeral is for my grandmother). I feel as though
>> I'm letting him down but, more importantly, I'm letting HER down.
>>
>> Can someone please help me identify what the scraping might be - I'm
>> 100% certain that, whatever it is, it's the cause of the blackening.
>> Unfortunately, this printer autosenses the thickeness of the media,
>> and you cannot run it with the lid up like you could with my old
>> Epson. I spent £500 on this printer and it's only about two months
>> old! If I could run it with the lid up I could (possibly) see where
>> it was catching, but lifting the lids moves the printhead into the
>> cartridge replacement position.
>>
>> Can anyone help?! I also tried turning on the "prevent paper
>> abrasion" function, and that didn't make the slightest bit of
>> difference! Canon TS have been useless!
>>
>> I NEED THIS DONE BEFORE TOMORROW!!!
>>
>> *HELP!!!!*
>

> Oh, and one more thing.... you may want to try supporting the paper
> with your hand as it nears the end so there is no leverage on the
> trailing endge so it wont force it upward..
>
> its something else to try... either way, what i suggested im sure you
> will have great results....
>
> Also, is there any way to slightly oversize your card stock or perhaps
> shorten your artwork so you can have a "handling tab" where the
> streaks may appear and then trip it with a paper trimmer, thus
> discarding the smearing

Beezer,

Thank you for your reply,

I cannot trim it - the design is very precise. My grandfather has seen it
'as is' and loves it, I don't want to upset him (even more - he's just lost
his wife of 61 years). This printer doesn't have a 'thickness lever' (must
have a sensor or something, like the newer HPs) I stated that in my original
post. The thing is, I've only just started hearing the scraping on this
job - I've have used this media for many, many years and have always just
stuck it in and gone, as it were. I have two lots of card here - one it
appears to like, the other, which I have more of, it spoils. The card is A4,
and the design is on all four sides - if it doesn't blacken the trail edge,
it blackens the middle of the page on the inside!

I'm practically grey!

Any other advice, I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks

Grey at 28

lose his marbles?

> [...]
> 'as is' and loves it, I don't want to upset him (even more - he's just
lost
> his wife of 61 years). This printer doesn't have a 'thickness lever' (must
> have a sensor or something, like the newer HPs) I stated that in my
original
> post. The thing is, I've only just started hearing the scraping on this
> job - I've have used this media for many, many years and have always just
> stuck it in and gone, as it were. I have two lots of card here - one it
> appears to like, the other, which I have more of, it spoils. The card is
A4,
> and the design is on all four sides - if it doesn't blacken the trail
edge,
> it blackens the middle of the page on the inside!
>
> I'm practically grey!
>
> Any other advice, I'd be eternally grateful!

Be sure that you have the proper paper selected in the driver. As you have
noted this model does not have a paper thickness lever, this is because it
instead auto adjusts based on paper selection.
Also be sure that the paper exit tray is in place and properly extended. If
the leading edge is permitted to tip downward while exiting then as the
trailing edge passes out from under the feed rollers it can tip slightly
upwards causing problems.

>Beezer,
>
>Thank you for your reply,
>
>I cannot trim it - the design is very precise. My grandfather has seen it
>'as is' and loves it, I don't want to upset him (even more - he's just lost
>his wife of 61 years). This printer doesn't have a 'thickness lever' (must
>have a sensor or something, like the newer HPs) I stated that in my original
>post. The thing is, I've only just started hearing the scraping on this
>job - I've have used this media for many, many years and have always just
>stuck it in and gone, as it were. I have two lots of card here - one it
>appears to like, the other, which I have more of, it spoils. The card is A4,
>and the design is on all four sides - if it doesn't blacken the trail edge,
>it blackens the middle of the page on the inside!
>
>I'm practically grey!
>
>Any other advice, I'd be eternally grateful!
>
>Thanks
>
>Grey at 28

I do not think you have seem my original post to this. My mistake for
double posting.. but here it is again if you missed it. Im sure it
will fix your trouble....
This is common in my 960 as well.. It really really helps if you bend
the trailng edge corners down slightly so they are kinda rounded and
definately not curving upward one bit.

Also, if the paper is slightly raise on the leading edge where the
head first passes, you will also get those streaks as it may kinda hit
into it... this is common when printing heavy paper and or envelops
without using the "envelope" feature

But fortunately your problem seems to be the trailing edge so I bet if
you curl the corners down and maybe the entire bottom half inch, just
so it is slighly lower than the rest of the paper, I bet it will be
just fine

The rubbing you hear, infact is the paper touching the rear of the
print head. Its not near the nozzles and not threatening the nozzles
in any way but it is grabbing the splattered ink off the rear of the
head and smearing.

See if you could try the bend that may totally cure the trouble

hope ya get it going...

WeInk.com Technical Support wrote:
> The trailing edge of the paper is curved enough to rub the print head.
> Reverse flex the paper so that the leading and trailing edges of the
> paper curve
> downward or are flat.
>
> The door sensors are near the left hand side hinge of the printer
> lid. You need only
> engage one of the two slots to activate the sensor. This will allow
> you to watch
> the print as it progresses so you can see exactly what is happening.
>
> This is the reason why these printers put a thickness limit on the
> paper that is much
> smaller than what it seems to be able to handle. Paper changes
> properties the longer
> it is exposed to moisture (or lack of moisture). I ran into a similar
> problem with a 4" x 6"
> matte card stock and tried a new pack of the stock, the problem went
> away. I now
> bag all my paper stock to prevent such problems.
>
> John Mills

Actually, according to Canon, it can handle up to 370g/m², this is only
210g/m². This is new stock, took delivery this morning (shameless plug for
Kenborne Mail Order - www.kenborne.com). They only had four packs and I
needed six, so they gave me a 50 pack of unscored they had lying around -
and some envelopes - FOR NOWT!!

Do you mean those two white grooves (for lack of a better term)? Could you
direct me to a site with a picture? I've tried covering those grooves up and
it doesn't seem to do anything. I really need these done and it's now gone
midnight and I have to be up early in the morning!

HELP ME PLEASE!!

lose his marbles?

PC Medic wrote:
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
>> beezer wrote:

>>> Oh, and one more thing.... you may want to try supporting the paper
>>> with your hand as it nears the end so there is no leverage on the
>>> trailing endge so it wont force it upward..
>>>
>>> its something else to try... either way, what i suggested im sure
>>> you will have great results....
>>>
>>> Also, is there any way to slightly oversize your card stock or
>>> perhaps shorten your artwork so you can have a "handling tab" where
>>> the streaks may appear and then trip it with a paper trimmer, thus
>>> discarding the smearing
>>

>> Beezer,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply,
>>
>> I cannot trim it - the design is very precise. My grandfather has
>> seen it 'as is' and loves it, I don't want to upset him (even more -
>> he's just lost his wife of 61 years). This printer doesn't have a
>> 'thickness lever' (must have a sensor or something, like the newer
>> HPs) I stated that in my original post. The thing is, I've only just
>> started hearing the scraping on this job - I've have used this media
>> for many, many years and have always just stuck it in and gone, as
>> it were. I have two lots of card here - one it appears to like, the
>> other, which I have more of, it spoils. The card is A4, and the
>> design is on all four sides - if it doesn't blacken the trail edge,
>> it blackens the middle of the page on the inside!
>>
>> I'm practically grey!
>>
>> Any other advice, I'd be eternally grateful!
>>

> Be sure that you have the proper paper selected in the driver. As you
> have noted this model does not have a paper thickness lever, this is
> because it instead auto adjusts based on paper selection.
> Also be sure that the paper exit tray is in place and properly
> extended. If the leading edge is permitted to tip downward while
> exiting then as the trailing edge passes out from under the feed
> rollers it can tip slightly upwards causing problems.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but of course I sodding have! Don't you think
that's the FIRST thing I did?! I am a graphic designer, I have been doing
this sort of thing FOR YEARS! Don't treat me like an idiot!
lose his marbles?

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 00:05:38 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
<misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>Sorry if this sounds rude, but of course I sodding have! Don't you think
>that's the FIRST thing I did?! I am a graphic designer, I have been doing
>this sort of thing FOR YEARS! Don't treat me like an idiot!
>--
>My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
>lose his marbles?

Did you read my first post? I see you replied to my second but my
first post had the fix you need.

beezer wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 00:05:38 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
> <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
>

>> Sorry if this sounds rude, but of course I sodding have! Don't you
>> think that's the FIRST thing I did?! I am a graphic designer, I have
>> been doing this sort of thing FOR YEARS! Don't treat me like an
>> idiot! --
>> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
>> lose his marbles?
>

> Did you read my first post? I see you replied to my second but my
> first post had the fix you need.

Yes, I did and, it didn't help.
lose his marbles?

>Yes, I did and, it didn't help.

Ok, how about trying the envelope mode then???

beezer wrote:
>> Beezer,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply,
>>
>> I cannot trim it - the design is very precise. My grandfather has
>> seen it 'as is' and loves it, I don't want to upset him (even more -
>> he's just lost his wife of 61 years). This printer doesn't have a
>> 'thickness lever' (must have a sensor or something, like the newer
>> HPs) I stated that in my original post. The thing is, I've only just
>> started hearing the scraping on this
>> job - I've have used this media for many, many years and have always
>> just stuck it in and gone, as it were. I have two lots of card here
>> - one it appears to like, the other, which I have more of, it
>> spoils. The card is A4, and the design is on all four sides - if it
>> doesn't blacken the trail edge, it blackens the middle of the page
>> on the inside!
>>
>> I'm practically grey!
>>
>> Any other advice, I'd be eternally grateful!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Grey at 28
>

> I do not think you have seem my original post to this. My mistake for
> double posting.. but here it is again if you missed it. Im sure it
> will fix your trouble....
> This is common in my 960 as well.. It really really helps if you bend
> the trailng edge corners down slightly so they are kinda rounded and
> definately not curving upward one bit.
>
> Also, if the paper is slightly raise on the leading edge where the
> head first passes, you will also get those streaks as it may kinda hit
> into it... this is common when printing heavy paper and or envelops
> without using the "envelope" feature
>
> But fortunately your problem seems to be the trailing edge so I bet if
> you curl the corners down and maybe the entire bottom half inch, just
> so it is slighly lower than the rest of the paper, I bet it will be
> just fine
>
> The rubbing you hear, infact is the paper touching the rear of the
> print head. Its not near the nozzles and not threatening the nozzles
> in any way but it is grabbing the splattered ink off the rear of the
> head and smearing.
>
> See if you could try the bend that may totally cure the trouble
>
> hope ya get it going...

Tried it. It didn't work. Are Canon still anal regarding warranty? When I
last had a Canon they refused to honour the warranty if you'd used anything
but their media. If I have to call a tech out (my printer has an on-site
warranty) are they going to turn round to me and say they won't support me
because I'm not using their media? Mind you, the last time I did have a
'tech' out, for my now-defunct 3-month-old 9100, all he did was print a
couple of nozzle checks and buggered off! Well, gee, I THINK I could have
managed that! Canon media is overpriced, poor quality (well the pack of PP I
had was) and not in the right weight and format for what I need (this is
210g/m² matte greeting card stock and the manufacturer guarantees it to be
jam free). I've spent an awful lot of money on this and I'm NOT going to
give up as there are people relying on me! I've fiddled around with every
setting I can find, and nothing makes the slightest difference.

I actually took the head out and cleaned it. It made no difference
whatsoever. Actually, the problem isn't just on the trailing edge. I have
several where the smearing is in the middle of the inside page and the marks
look like 'skid marks' for want of a better term, as though it's getting
caught and jarring on the little metal toothed rollers at the front. I
thought Canons were meant to be the best, one dodgy unit I can accept - but
two?!

I'm exhausted and I just want to go to bed. I'm now printing the inserts and
they're 'slipping'. I REALLY DON'T NEED THIS!! NOT NOW!!

Yours,

Tired and crabby.
Right now, I'm knackered and I'm off to bed!
lose his marbles?

beezer wrote:
>> Yes, I did and, it didn't help.
>
> Ok, how about trying the envelope mode then???

Nope.
lose his marbles?

Maybe you can borrow a printer just for this job. Is their someone in
your family or a friend maybe that can give you his printer?

Lemarquis wrote:
> Maybe you can borrow a printer just for this job. Is their someone in
> your family or a friend maybe that can give you his printer?

No there isn't. This is the only printer. It's even doing it with 80g/m²
PLAIN PAPER!! If it isn't smearing it, it's catching the trail edge and
'folding' it for want of a better word. I only have 20 sheets in the tray -
according to the manual it can handle 100.

This is ridiculous. I need this job done and I need it done now!! I can't
call TS until Tuesday and, from previous experience, they're a complete
waste of time! This has to be done for *TOMORROW*!!

lose his marbles?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>Lemarquis wrote:
>> Maybe you can borrow a printer just for this job. Is their someone in
>> your family or a friend maybe that can give you his printer?
>
>No there isn't. This is the only printer. It's even doing it with 80g/m²
>PLAIN PAPER!! If it isn't smearing it, it's catching the trail edge and
>'folding' it for want of a better word. I only have 20 sheets in the tray -
>according to the manual it can handle 100.
>
>This is ridiculous. I need this job done and I need it done now!! I can't
>call TS until Tuesday and, from previous experience, they're a complete
>waste of time! This has to be done for *TOMORROW*!!

Push down with a pen nib or something on one of the two white slots in
front of the left hinge to defeat the sensor.

I do remember something in the manual about some setting for how high
the head flys. Did you check the "problem/answer" section of the
manual for streaks and such? That may be where I remember reading it.
It was in the (paper) manual somewhere. May need to be set higher.

Mike