Mega-slow system POST

Last response: in Overclocking
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2004 9:17:57 AM

Hi,

I've upgraded most of my system parts, most recently the memory,
heatsink and a few new fans.

I'm not sure about when I noticed it, but my system POST takes 30
seconds after it has done the POST.

For example, when I turn the system on:
1. System starts up, POST runs .... chip, memory, USB, etc are
detected
2. Via SATA controller is detected
3. Speech error posting reports, 'POST succesful, booting from O/S'
4. 30 seconds of hanging
5. O/S boots

Any suggestions on why this happens?

My system:
ASUS SK8V & AMD FX51 (Bios Rev .019 - the new one)
Seagate Barracude SATA 120gb
2 x Corsair TwinX CMXR-3200LL
1 x Hiper 6 heatsink (the one with heatpipes)
plus a few fans

The memory in my system needs to be registered and ECC - however I
turned ECC off because of this long wait time... Once in Windows, it
runs fine.

Any suggestions anyone? anyone know what is going on during this
period?

Thanks in advance.

More about : mega slow system post

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2004 12:55:45 AM

"FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded most of my system parts, most recently the memory,
> heatsink and a few new fans.
>
> I'm not sure about when I noticed it, but my system POST takes 30
> seconds after it has done the POST.
>
> For example, when I turn the system on:
> 1. System starts up, POST runs .... chip, memory, USB, etc are
> detected
> 2. Via SATA controller is detected
> 3. Speech error posting reports, 'POST succesful, booting from O/S'
> 4. 30 seconds of hanging
> 5. O/S boots
>
> Any suggestions on why this happens?
>
> My system:
> ASUS SK8V & AMD FX51 (Bios Rev .019 - the new one)
> Seagate Barracude SATA 120gb
> 2 x Corsair TwinX CMXR-3200LL
> 1 x Hiper 6 heatsink (the one with heatpipes)
> plus a few fans
>
> The memory in my system needs to be registered and ECC - however I
> turned ECC off because of this long wait time... Once in Windows, it
> runs fine.
>
> Any suggestions anyone? anyone know what is going on during this
> period?
>
> Thanks in advance.
Hm,,.
I'd try switching back to your old memory.
And if that don't help, try thinking.. Is there any new software you
installed
recently? Try a selective boot-up.
Go To start menu, run msconfig.exe
Choose : Diagnostic Startup, This will only load a mainstream of drivers
without loading unneeded Drivers.
If it boots faster this way, then you have to find the problem program
that's causing it to happen.
Sometimes a virus, don't overlook anything.
There's no such think as re-checking things too much.
For me, there was a program causing a problem.
But I still have something slowing this thing down, but not sure what to do
about it.
I think I may know what's causing it, but not sure how to get rid of it.
You could also try some of your older hardware too, and checking specs.
I don't have a Sata drive, so I don't know how it works.
Does Sata have DMA's modes, or does Sata have another way it works?

Denny. :-)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2004 1:10:44 AM

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<Snip.>

Now why did I do that, I just got rid of W32/Winsys or Win-sys, and I'm soon
going to format
this drive clean anyway.
What ever..

Denny. :-)
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2004 10:20:07 AM

Thanks Denny, I made a bit of mistake with the order of things
booting, the system hangs BEFORE the succesful POST message.

I dont think its the memory, but I sure will test it!!!

I'm thinking maybe its the processor or settings in the BIOS, but I
know that most BIOS these days are pretty good

I know its not gonna be software / OS as the hang is before POST
completes but after the disk controller... I will however try a diag
boot, like you said nothing wrong with overchecking things.. I'll keep
my NG post updated for others

Does anyone know what the last few items of a SYSTEM POST are ?
i.e. processor and memory check are first? then peripherals?

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Q-adnQLJj8qPhkPdRVn-uA@comcast.com>...
> "FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've upgraded most of my system parts, most recently the memory,
> > heatsink and a few new fans.
> >
> > I'm not sure about when I noticed it, but my system POST takes 30
> > seconds after it has done the POST.
> >
> > For example, when I turn the system on:
> > 1. System starts up, POST runs .... chip, memory, USB, etc are
> > detected
> > 2. Via SATA controller is detected
> > 3. Speech error posting reports, 'POST succesful, booting from O/S'
> > 4. 30 seconds of hanging
> > 5. O/S boots
> >
> > Any suggestions on why this happens?
> >
> > My system:
> > ASUS SK8V & AMD FX51 (Bios Rev .019 - the new one)
> > Seagate Barracude SATA 120gb
> > 2 x Corsair TwinX CMXR-3200LL
> > 1 x Hiper 6 heatsink (the one with heatpipes)
> > plus a few fans
> >
> > The memory in my system needs to be registered and ECC - however I
> > turned ECC off because of this long wait time... Once in Windows, it
> > runs fine.
> >
> > Any suggestions anyone? anyone know what is going on during this
> > period?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> Hm,,.
> I'd try switching back to your old memory.
> And if that don't help, try thinking.. Is there any new software you
> installed
> recently? Try a selective boot-up.
> Go To start menu, run msconfig.exe
> Choose : Diagnostic Startup, This will only load a mainstream of drivers
> without loading unneeded Drivers.
> If it boots faster this way, then you have to find the problem program
> that's causing it to happen.
> Sometimes a virus, don't overlook anything.
> There's no such think as re-checking things too much.
> For me, there was a program causing a problem.
> But I still have something slowing this thing down, but not sure what to do
> about it.
> I think I may know what's causing it, but not sure how to get rid of it.
> You could also try some of your older hardware too, and checking specs.
> I don't have a Sata drive, so I don't know how it works.
> Does Sata have DMA's modes, or does Sata have another way it works?
>
> Denny. :-)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2004 12:56:37 PM

OK, so I found out what was causing the system hanging... it was the
SATA disk/controller (not sure which is to blame) but basically the
disk data corrupted so I decided to use my old ATA133 (Seagate
Barracuda also) and the darn system boots/POSTs almost immediately!!

I'm running Seagate diag tool which I downloaded from their website
and once its done a full scan of the disk I can tell whether its the
disk.. otherwise its gonna be the VIA controller!!

I may just switch to the FastTrack SATA controller - although I was
told /read that the VIA controller is the better one.. hurm?? its
really good!

Does anyone know a good way to test the controller outside of windows?
the Seagate diag tool does not support the controller (no drivers
obv!)

I'll obviously keep updating my NG-POST with any progress on this
piece of c"@p!!

My knightmare:
ASUS SK8V - Seagate Barracuda - VIA controller - system hanging POST

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<pJadnR0lxtsIg0PdRVn-iQ@comcast.com>...
> "Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > "FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <Snip.>
>
> Now why did I do that, I just got rid of W32/Winsys or Win-sys, and I'm soon
> going to format
> this drive clean anyway.
> What ever..
>
> Denny. :-)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
June 28, 2004 12:54:59 AM

> OK, so I found out what was causing the system hanging... it was the
> SATA disk/controller (not sure which is to blame) but basically the
> disk data corrupted so I decided to use my old ATA133 (Seagate
> Barracuda also) and the darn system boots/POSTs almost immediately!!
>
> I'm running Seagate diag tool which I downloaded from their website
> and once its done a full scan of the disk I can tell whether its the
> disk.. otherwise its gonna be the VIA controller!!
>
> I may just switch to the FastTrack SATA controller - although I was
> told /read that the VIA controller is the better one.. hurm?? its
> really good!
>
> Does anyone know a good way to test the controller outside of windows?
> the Seagate diag tool does not support the controller (no drivers
> obv!)
>
> I'll obviously keep updating my NG-POST with any progress on this
> piece of c"@p!!
>
> My knightmare:
> ASUS SK8V - Seagate Barracuda - VIA controller - system hanging POST
Hm, ok. Finding a way to scan the drive sounds like a good idea.
Also, do you have the latest bios?
It sounds like it could also be a compatibility issue, I guess that's why I
suggested a bios update.
So that didn't really need to be said..
Denny. :-)
!