Mega-slow system POST

Hi,

I've upgraded most of my system parts, most recently the memory,
heatsink and a few new fans.

I'm not sure about when I noticed it, but my system POST takes 30
seconds after it has done the POST.

For example, when I turn the system on:
1. System starts up, POST runs .... chip, memory, USB, etc are
detected
2. Via SATA controller is detected
3. Speech error posting reports, 'POST succesful, booting from O/S'
4. 30 seconds of hanging
5. O/S boots

Any suggestions on why this happens?

My system:
ASUS SK8V & AMD FX51 (Bios Rev .019 - the new one)
Seagate Barracude SATA 120gb
2 x Corsair TwinX CMXR-3200LL
1 x Hiper 6 heatsink (the one with heatpipes)
plus a few fans

The memory in my system needs to be registered and ECC - however I
turned ECC off because of this long wait time... Once in Windows, it
runs fine.

Any suggestions anyone? anyone know what is going on during this
period?

Thanks in advance.
5 answers Last reply
More about mega slow system post

    "FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've upgraded most of my system parts, most recently the memory,
    > heatsink and a few new fans.
    >
    > I'm not sure about when I noticed it, but my system POST takes 30
    > seconds after it has done the POST.
    >
    > For example, when I turn the system on:
    > 1. System starts up, POST runs .... chip, memory, USB, etc are
    > detected
    > 2. Via SATA controller is detected
    > 3. Speech error posting reports, 'POST succesful, booting from O/S'
    > 4. 30 seconds of hanging
    > 5. O/S boots
    >
    > Any suggestions on why this happens?
    >
    > My system:
    > ASUS SK8V & AMD FX51 (Bios Rev .019 - the new one)
    > Seagate Barracude SATA 120gb
    > 2 x Corsair TwinX CMXR-3200LL
    > 1 x Hiper 6 heatsink (the one with heatpipes)
    > plus a few fans
    >
    > The memory in my system needs to be registered and ECC - however I
    > turned ECC off because of this long wait time... Once in Windows, it
    > runs fine.
    >
    > Any suggestions anyone? anyone know what is going on during this
    > period?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    Hm,,.
    I'd try switching back to your old memory.
    And if that don't help, try thinking.. Is there any new software you
    installed
    recently? Try a selective boot-up.
    Go To start menu, run msconfig.exe
    Choose : Diagnostic Startup, This will only load a mainstream of drivers
    without loading unneeded Drivers.
    If it boots faster this way, then you have to find the problem program
    that's causing it to happen.
    Sometimes a virus, don't overlook anything.
    There's no such think as re-checking things too much.
    For me, there was a program causing a problem.
    But I still have something slowing this thing down, but not sure what to do
    about it.
    I think I may know what's causing it, but not sure how to get rid of it.
    You could also try some of your older hardware too, and checking specs.
    I don't have a Sata drive, so I don't know how it works.
    Does Sata have DMA's modes, or does Sata have another way it works?

    Denny. :-)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    <Snip.>

    Now why did I do that, I just got rid of W32/Winsys or Win-sys, and I'm soon
    going to format
    this drive clean anyway.
    What ever..

    Denny. :-)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Thanks Denny, I made a bit of mistake with the order of things
    booting, the system hangs BEFORE the succesful POST message.

    I dont think its the memory, but I sure will test it!!!

    I'm thinking maybe its the processor or settings in the BIOS, but I
    know that most BIOS these days are pretty good

    I know its not gonna be software / OS as the hang is before POST
    completes but after the disk controller... I will however try a diag
    boot, like you said nothing wrong with overchecking things.. I'll keep
    my NG post updated for others

    Does anyone know what the last few items of a SYSTEM POST are ?
    i.e. processor and memory check are first? then peripherals?

    "Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Q-adnQLJj8qPhkPdRVn-uA@comcast.com>...
    > "FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've upgraded most of my system parts, most recently the memory,
    > > heatsink and a few new fans.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure about when I noticed it, but my system POST takes 30
    > > seconds after it has done the POST.
    > >
    > > For example, when I turn the system on:
    > > 1. System starts up, POST runs .... chip, memory, USB, etc are
    > > detected
    > > 2. Via SATA controller is detected
    > > 3. Speech error posting reports, 'POST succesful, booting from O/S'
    > > 4. 30 seconds of hanging
    > > 5. O/S boots
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on why this happens?
    > >
    > > My system:
    > > ASUS SK8V & AMD FX51 (Bios Rev .019 - the new one)
    > > Seagate Barracude SATA 120gb
    > > 2 x Corsair TwinX CMXR-3200LL
    > > 1 x Hiper 6 heatsink (the one with heatpipes)
    > > plus a few fans
    > >
    > > The memory in my system needs to be registered and ECC - however I
    > > turned ECC off because of this long wait time... Once in Windows, it
    > > runs fine.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions anyone? anyone know what is going on during this
    > > period?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > Hm,,.
    > I'd try switching back to your old memory.
    > And if that don't help, try thinking.. Is there any new software you
    > installed
    > recently? Try a selective boot-up.
    > Go To start menu, run msconfig.exe
    > Choose : Diagnostic Startup, This will only load a mainstream of drivers
    > without loading unneeded Drivers.
    > If it boots faster this way, then you have to find the problem program
    > that's causing it to happen.
    > Sometimes a virus, don't overlook anything.
    > There's no such think as re-checking things too much.
    > For me, there was a program causing a problem.
    > But I still have something slowing this thing down, but not sure what to do
    > about it.
    > I think I may know what's causing it, but not sure how to get rid of it.
    > You could also try some of your older hardware too, and checking specs.
    > I don't have a Sata drive, so I don't know how it works.
    > Does Sata have DMA's modes, or does Sata have another way it works?
    >
    > Denny. :-)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    OK, so I found out what was causing the system hanging... it was the
    SATA disk/controller (not sure which is to blame) but basically the
    disk data corrupted so I decided to use my old ATA133 (Seagate
    Barracuda also) and the darn system boots/POSTs almost immediately!!

    I'm running Seagate diag tool which I downloaded from their website
    and once its done a full scan of the disk I can tell whether its the
    disk.. otherwise its gonna be the VIA controller!!

    I may just switch to the FastTrack SATA controller - although I was
    told /read that the VIA controller is the better one.. hurm?? its
    really good!

    Does anyone know a good way to test the controller outside of windows?
    the Seagate diag tool does not support the controller (no drivers
    obv!)

    I'll obviously keep updating my NG-POST with any progress on this
    piece of c"@p!!

    My knightmare:
    ASUS SK8V - Seagate Barracuda - VIA controller - system hanging POST

    "Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<pJadnR0lxtsIg0PdRVn-iQ@comcast.com>...
    > "Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > "FrobinRobin" <frobinrobin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > <Snip.>
    >
    > Now why did I do that, I just got rid of W32/Winsys or Win-sys, and I'm soon
    > going to format
    > this drive clean anyway.
    > What ever..
    >
    > Denny. :-)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > OK, so I found out what was causing the system hanging... it was the
    > SATA disk/controller (not sure which is to blame) but basically the
    > disk data corrupted so I decided to use my old ATA133 (Seagate
    > Barracuda also) and the darn system boots/POSTs almost immediately!!
    >
    > I'm running Seagate diag tool which I downloaded from their website
    > and once its done a full scan of the disk I can tell whether its the
    > disk.. otherwise its gonna be the VIA controller!!
    >
    > I may just switch to the FastTrack SATA controller - although I was
    > told /read that the VIA controller is the better one.. hurm?? its
    > really good!
    >
    > Does anyone know a good way to test the controller outside of windows?
    > the Seagate diag tool does not support the controller (no drivers
    > obv!)
    >
    > I'll obviously keep updating my NG-POST with any progress on this
    > piece of c"@p!!
    >
    > My knightmare:
    > ASUS SK8V - Seagate Barracuda - VIA controller - system hanging POST
    Hm, ok. Finding a way to scan the drive sounds like a good idea.
    Also, do you have the latest bios?
    It sounds like it could also be a compatibility issue, I guess that's why I
    suggested a bios update.
    So that didn't really need to be said..
    Denny. :-)

Memory Overclocking