1.4GHz PIII-S Tualatins on a VP6!! HELP!!!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Hello --

I don't normally cross-post, but in this case I'm quite desperate for help
(please see sig for spec). I have recently purchased two Tualatin Pentium
III-S, 1.4GHz 512KB L2 cache. In order to get these to work with the VP6, I
also purchased two Lin-Lin S370 adapters.

After installing everything according to instructions, I have found that the VP6
will only boot reliably with one of these processor/adapter combinations
installed. It seems to run reliably at default speed (133MHz x 10.5) - it's
been running SETI for about two hours now and hasn't crashed.

Does anyone know how to get the VP6 to boot with *both* of these
processors/adapters installed? My VP6 has been flashed to the latest "DR"
BIOS, and has the capacitors replaced (thanks Big Badger!!).

Is it a matter of supply more power to the CPU sockets? Or is there a problem
with the VP6/Lin-Lin combination?

I will be very grateful indeed for any help I receive. Best regards,

Rohan Beckles
rohan.beckles@virgin.net

--
ABIT VP6
Intel "Tualatin" PIII-S 1.4GHz (1 off)

    Hi Rohan,
    Have you heard of anyone successfully running such a set-up? I could not
    find a compatibility list for the Lin-Lin adapter but Upgradeware have one
    for their very similar 370GU adapter, here:
    http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/compatibility.htm
    Although the 370GU does normally support dual processors the compatibility
    list specifically states VP6 support in single cpu mode only. I really can't
    figure out why this should be because other similar, Via chipset, dual PIII
    boards are listed with dual support.... But it makes you wonder if there is
    perhaps something about the VP6 that prevents dual Tualatin support, even
    with adapters?

    "Rohan Beckles" <rohan.beckles@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > Hello --
    >
    > I don't normally cross-post, but in this case I'm quite desperate for help
    > (please see sig for spec). I have recently purchased two Tualatin Pentium
    > III-S, 1.4GHz 512KB L2 cache. In order to get these to work with the VP6,
    > also purchased two Lin-Lin S370 adapters.
    >
    > After installing everything according to instructions, I have found that
    the VP6
    > will only boot reliably with one of these processor/adapter combinations
    > installed. It seems to run reliably at default speed (133MHz x 10.5) -
    it's
    > been running SETI for about two hours now and hasn't crashed.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to get the VP6 to boot with *both* of these
    > processors/adapters installed? My VP6 has been flashed to the latest "DR"
    > BIOS, and has the capacitors replaced (thanks Big Badger!!).
    >
    > Is it a matter of supply more power to the CPU sockets? Or is there a
    problem
    > with the VP6/Lin-Lin combination?
    >
    > I will be very grateful indeed for any help I receive. Best regards,
    >
    > Rohan Beckles
    > rohan.beckles@virgin.net
    >

    > --
    > ABIT VP6
    > Intel "Tualatin" PIII-S 1.4GHz (1 off)
    > 1GB SDRAM
    > Seagate Barracuda II 20.4GB
    > ABIT Siluro Ti4200 OTES 128MB
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    BigBadger wrote:

    > Hi Rohan,
    > Have you heard of anyone successfully running such a set-up? I could not
    > find a compatibility list for the Lin-Lin adapter but Upgradeware have one
    > for their very similar 370GU adapter, here:
    > http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/compatibility.htm
    > Although the 370GU does normally support dual processors the compatibility
    > list specifically states VP6 support in single cpu mode only. I really can't
    > figure out why this should be because other similar, Via chipset, dual PIII
    > boards are listed with dual support.... But it makes you wonder if there is
    > perhaps something about the VP6 that prevents dual Tualatin support, even
    > with adapters?

    It might well be something to do with the VP6. For a moment I thought that it
    might be that the Lin-Lin adapter was wired up to act like a Tualatin Celeron,
    i.e. no SMP capability at all, since it is labelled as a Tualatin Celeron
    adapter. However that would be kind of silly.

    My only other alternative seems to be the Powerleap PL-370/T (£35.00 each), or
    better yet getting hold of an IWill DVD266-Rn motherboard, which would mean
    investing in DDR-SDRAM.

    Do you know if other companies such as ASUS do such adapters at reasonable
    prices?

    Best,

    --
    ABIT VP6
    Intel "Tualatin" PIII-S 1.4GHz (1 off)
    1GB SDRAM
    Seagate Barracuda II 20.4GB
    ABIT Siluro Ti4200 OTES 128MB
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > BigBadger wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Rohan,
    >> Have you heard of anyone successfully running such a set-up? I could
    > not
    >> find a compatibility list for the Lin-Lin adapter but Upgradeware hav
    > e one
    >> for their very similar 370GU adapter, here:
    >> http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/compatibility.htm
    >> Although the 370GU does normally support dual processors the compatib
    > ility
    >> list specifically states VP6 support in single cpu mode only. I reall
    > y can't
    >> figure out why this should be because other similar, Via chipset, dua
    > l PIII
    >> boards are listed with dual support.... But it makes you wonder if th
    > ere is
    >> perhaps something about the VP6 that prevents dual Tualatin support,
    > even
    >> with adapters?
    >>

    > It might well be something to do with the VP6. For a moment I thought
    > that it might be that the Lin-Lin adapter was wired up to act like a
    > Tualatin Celeron, i.e. no SMP capability at all, since it is labelled
    > as a Tualatin Celeron adapter. However that would be kind of silly.
    >
    > My only other alternative seems to be the Powerleap PL-370/T (£35.00
    > each), or better yet getting hold of an IWill DVD266-Rn motherboard,
    > which would mean investing in DDR-SDRAM.
    >
    > Do you know if other companies such as ASUS do such adapters at
    > reasonable prices?
    >
    > Best,

    I don't know of any other adapters than those already mentioned. I've
    got a brand new Supermicro 370DDE here if your interested. It uses the
    Via 266pro chipset but still uses 'single data rate' ram. It's not
    Tualatin ready though, so you would need to use the adapters.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    BigBadger wrote:

    > I don't know of any other adapters than those already mentioned. I've
    > got a brand new Supermicro 370DDE here if your interested. It uses the
    > Via 266pro chipset but still uses 'single data rate' ram. It's not
    > Tualatin ready though, so you would need to use the adapters.

    Brand new? I thought that Supermicro EOL'd that board long ago - looks like I
    was wrong. How much would you let it go for? Is there any chance of you
    testing it with Tualatin adapters to make sure it's compatible? Also, what are
    its overclocking capabilities?

    BTW, I just looked the the next one up from that board, the P3TDDE. Using the
    VIA Apollo Pro 266T chipset, it supports the Tualatin processor out of the box,
    yet still only uses single data rate SDRAM. Isn't that odd, considering the
    266/266T is supposed to be a DDR chipset?

    Best,
    --
    "No greater love hath a man, than he lay down his
    life for his brother.  Not for millions.  Not for

    > Brand new? I thought that Supermicro EOL'd that board long ago -
    > looks like I was wrong. How much would you let it go for? Is there
    > any chance of you testing it with Tualatin adapters to make sure it's
    > compatible? Also, what are its overclocking capabilities?
    >
    > BTW, I just looked the the next one up from that board, the P3TDDE.
    > Using the VIA Apollo Pro 266T chipset, it supports the Tualatin
    > processor out of the box, yet still only uses single data rate SDRAM.
    > Isn't that odd, considering the 266/266T is supposed to be a DDR
    > chipset?
    >
    > Best,

    Rohan; check your email
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Rohan Beckles wrote:

    > BigBadger wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Rohan,
    >>Have you heard of anyone successfully running such a set-up? I could not
    >>find a compatibility list for the Lin-Lin adapter but Upgradeware have one
    >>for their very similar 370GU adapter, here:
    >>http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/compatibility.htm
    >>Although the 370GU does normally support dual processors the compatibility
    >>list specifically states VP6 support in single cpu mode only. I really can't
    >>figure out why this should be because other similar, Via chipset, dual PIII
    >>boards are listed with dual support.... But it makes you wonder if there is
    >>perhaps something about the VP6 that prevents dual Tualatin support, even
    >>with adapters?
    >>

    > It might well be something to do with the VP6. For a moment I thought that it
    > might be that the Lin-Lin adapter was wired up to act like a Tualatin Celeron,
    > i.e. no SMP capability at all, since it is labelled as a Tualatin Celeron
    > adapter. However that would be kind of silly.

    It could well be Lin-Lin used the "wrong" pin for the BR1# CPU bus
    request signal.

    I had the same problem when trying to run dual PIII-S processors on the
    Asus P2B-DS using Upgradeware Slot-T adapters - the board would POST
    with one processor but not two. The adapters originally used pin X2 for
    BR1#, which is correct according to Intel documentation, but they did
    not work until I modified them to use pin N33 - which is "reserved"
    according to Intel but used for BR1# on some Powerleap adapters. More
    details here:

    http://tipperlinne.com/slot-t.htm

    HTH

    P2B

    > My only other alternative seems to be the Powerleap PL-370/T (£35.00 each), or
    > better yet getting hold of an IWill DVD266-Rn motherboard, which would mean
    > investing in DDR-SDRAM.
    >
    > Do you know if other companies such as ASUS do such adapters at reasonable
    > prices?
    >
    > Best,

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > It could well be Lin-Lin used the "wrong" pin for the BR1# CPU bus
    > request signal.
    >
    > I had the same problem when trying to run dual PIII-S processors on the
    > Asus P2B-DS using Upgradeware Slot-T adapters - the board would POST
    > with one processor but not two. The adapters originally used pin X2 for
    > BR1#, which is correct according to Intel documentation, but they did
    > not work until I modified them to use pin N33 - which is "reserved"
    > according to Intel but used for BR1# on some Powerleap adapters. More
    > details here:
    >
    > http://tipperlinne.com/slot-t.htm
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > P2B

    This sound plausible but would it actually prevent the system from
    POST'ing???? I would have expected that if that was the problem the PC would
    POST with two CPU's installed but only show single CPU mode.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    BigBadger wrote:

    >>> It could well be Lin-Lin used the "wrong" pin for the BR1# CPU bus
    >>> request signal.
    >>>
    >>> I had the same problem when trying to run dual PIII-S processors on the
    >>> Asus P2B-DS using Upgradeware Slot-T adapters - the board would POST
    >>> with one processor but not two. The adapters originally used pin X2 for
    >>> BR1#, which is correct according to Intel documentation, but they did
    >>> not work until I modified them to use pin N33 - which is "reserved"
    >>> according to Intel but used for BR1# on some Powerleap adapters. More
    >>> details here:
    >>>
    >>> http://tipperlinne.com/slot-t.htm
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> P2B
    >>>

    > This sound plausible but would it actually prevent the system from
    > POST'ing???? I would have expected that if that was the problem the PC would
    > POST with two CPU's installed but only show single CPU mode.

    Before the mod it would only POST with one CPU in the rear slot. Move
    the CPU to the front slot, or add the second one, and it would just sit
    there with fans spinning - no video or beeps, and no BIOS activity on a
    POST diagnostic card.

    I never did figure out why. Powerleap's PL-P3/SMP adapters have a jumper
    to select X2 or N33 for BR1#, and both settings work in dual mode on the
    P2B-DS. Asus S370-DL adapters use X2, and they also work (with Tualatin
    pin mods), but the Slot-T only works using N33. Beats me :-)

    P2B
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I have tested several VP6's with 3 different brands of "Tulatin" adapters.....
    So far the results have been the same.......BAD
    The VP6 runs better with coppermine based CPU's

    Gary

    --
    Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

    http://motherboardrepair.com
    gary@motherboardrepair.com

[...]

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:39:50 GMT, "Homie" <capman@att.net> wrote:

    >I have tested several VP6's with 3 different brands of "Tulatin" adapters.....
    >So far the results have been the same.......BAD
    >The VP6 runs better with coppermine based CPU's

    Yes, IMHo is better to get a genuine 2Cpu Tuallie MoBo (maybe some
    Supermicro one somewhere) than to loose time trying to make it work
    with VP6

    Maybe also to lay hands on a used Epox ep-d3va board (2x s.370, Via
    chipset) & try with his existing adapters his 2 Tuallies if they work
    properly on that MoBo.

    the next option would be getting from eBay some duallie Asus P2B MoBo
    (BX chipset Slot1) & 2 slotkets (MSI v.2xx & mod them for Tuallies) or
    get 2 Slot-T slotkets & follow the mod on them on the P2B´s site :
    http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod

    Btw, P2B was time ago selling one of his modded boards for 2 Tuallies
    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:39:50 GMT, "Homie" <capman@att.net> wrote:
    >

    >>I have tested several VP6's with 3 different brands of "Tulatin" adapters.....
    >>So far the results have been the same.......BAD
    >>The VP6 runs better with coppermine based CPU's
    >

    > Yes, IMHo is better to get a genuine 2Cpu Tuallie MoBo (maybe some
    > Supermicro one somewhere) than to loose time trying to make it work
    > with VP6
    >
    > Maybe also to lay hands on a used Epox ep-d3va board (2x s.370, Via
    > chipset) & try with his existing adapters his 2 Tuallies if they work
    > properly on that MoBo.
    >
    > the next option would be getting from eBay some duallie Asus P2B MoBo
    > (BX chipset Slot1) & 2 slotkets (MSI v.2xx & mod them for Tuallies) or
    > get 2 Slot-T slotkets & follow the mod on them on the P2B´s site :
    > http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod
    >
    > Btw, P2B was time ago selling one of his modded boards for 2 Tuallies

    The P2B modification business is pretty slow these days, but my services
    remain available and advice is free as always :-)

    P2B

Overclocking Product