Choosing new system (Northwood or AMD64)

Daniel

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice. I am owed a motherboard and memory (I have
to purchase the CPU). My current system is the A7v8x and an Athlon 2400+
with 512 MB of generic ddr400. I prefer a gamer setup which is why the AMD
64 is my first choice (but also encode DVDs). But I am being offered an
8knxp (150 GBP retail) for very little. With my budget I could purchase
either;

1. Pentium 4 "Northwood" 2.8GHz (800FSB) + Gigabyte GA-8KNXP

2. AMD Athlon 64 3000 + MSI K8N Platinum nForce3 250

Both systems will run with branded pc3700 memory (in dual channel is
needed). The choice simply becomes an overclocked Northwood or an AMD64

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

I would appreciate some advice. I am owed a motherboard and memory (I have
to purchase the CPU). My current system is the A7v8x and an Athlon 2400+
with 512 MB of generic ddr400. I prefer a gamer setup which is why the AMD
64 is my first choice (but also encode DVDs). But I am being offered an
8knxp (150 GBP retail) for very little. With my budget I could purchase
either;

1. Pentium 4 "Northwood" 2.8GHz (800FSB) + Gigabyte GA-8KNXP

2. AMD Athlon 64 3000 + MSI K8N Platinum nForce3 250

Both systems will run with branded pc3700 memory (in dual channel is
needed). The choice simply becomes an overclocked Northwood or an AMD64
Thanks in advance,
Daniel

The Amd 3000 is not a dual channel CPU (built into the CPU ).
I would give the slight edge to the KNXP and 2.8 Which i have and is a very
good stable system. You would need an FX or a 939 AMD to get dual channel
memory controller. You should look at a good video card if you are into
gaming,it would be more of a bottle neck with either system han the CPU. DOUG

minotaur

daniel wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I would appreciate some advice. I am owed a motherboard and memory (I have
> to purchase the CPU). My current system is the A7v8x and an Athlon 2400+
> with 512 MB of generic ddr400. I prefer a gamer setup which is why the AMD
> 64 is my first choice (but also encode DVDs). But I am being offered an
> 8knxp (150 GBP retail) for very little. With my budget I could purchase
> either;
>

> 1. Pentium 4 "Northwood" 2.8GHz (800FSB) + Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
>

> 2. AMD Athlon 64 3000 + MSI K8N Platinum nForce3 250
>

> Both systems will run with branded pc3700 memory (in dual channel is
> needed). The choice simply becomes an overclocked Northwood or an AMD64
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Daniel

A no brainer really, the 64bit system is faster.
As for encoding system 1. untill support is added for system 2.
at which time it should trounce system 1. *8D

Minotaur (8*

"Minotaur" <antnel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> daniel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I would appreciate some advice. I am owed a motherboard and memory (I
have
> > to purchase the CPU). My current system is the A7v8x and an Athlon 2400+
> > with 512 MB of generic ddr400. I prefer a gamer setup which is why the
AMD
> > 64 is my first choice (but also encode DVDs). But I am being offered an
> > 8knxp (150 GBP retail) for very little. With my budget I could purchase
> > either;
> >

> > 1. Pentium 4 "Northwood" 2.8GHz (800FSB) + Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
> >

> > 2. AMD Athlon 64 3000 + MSI K8N Platinum nForce3 250
> >

> > Both systems will run with branded pc3700 memory (in dual channel is
> > needed). The choice simply becomes an overclocked Northwood or an AMD64
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> > Daniel
> >

> A no brainer really, the 64bit system is faster.
> As for encoding system 1. untill support is added for system 2.
> at which time it should trounce system 1. *8D
>
> Minotaur (8*
Hm, the only way to really have the best for both is to have both.
Both my AMD 2200+ @ 2800 2.174.5 & my P4 2.6 @ 3.2 Bench Marks about the
same.
AMD 3DMark03 around 900
The P4 around 900 as well, this is using the same parts in both.
It's been so long since I did this, that I don't remember what the
numbers were.

I would say go with a (AIW) 96-9800 card.
I might get a 9600 myself cause of features I don't have with this (AIW)
Rage Card.
The (AIW) 96-9800 cards are also a PcWorld World Class 2004.
Check Out http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9600/aiw9600xt/index.html
Watch the Video. (Please note, you can get the (AIW) 9600XT off of newegg
for 227$)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-352&depa=0
Anywho, Need to get out if this house..

Denny. :)