Dual Channel or Simple RAM...!!!!

Just lately I have been having troubles with my RAM. I had 2 sticks of
512mb PC3200 onboard a Gigabyte 7N400 with an XP3000 CPU. They were
running in Dual Channel Mode...

The system never really performed like it had 1 GB, always running
average or maybe even slow at times... Just a month or so ago, it
began crahing bigtime, mainly in games or after I ran games,, and it
never really go better, just worse, more often etc. It drove me nuts
trying to find what the cause of these crashes was. A few nights ago I
pulled out the RAM stick in the 3rd RAM slot, leaving me now with
512mb. The PC now performs well and appears to have stopped crashing.
There is absolutely no decrease in performance any way you look at it.
It handles games well, and on oddocassions even runs slightly faster
than before...

I might try putting that leftover stick of 512mb of RAM back in but
thins time I will try it in the 2nd slot, making it just plain old 1Gb
in ordinary mode...

Do you think this is wise or is there maybe a reason not to..???

Is there any real benefit in having 1Gb of RAM over 512mb..?? I know
technically, you are running twice as much therefore you should see
the benefits BUT are there any real benefits for XP Pro, other than
bragging rights???

I have a memorystick from geil that turned bad on me.
Same things you describe,i ran memtest and got errors,only way to make it
run games was to set my mem at 266mhz.
Put in a corsair stick and all was fine again.
1Gb of memory is a real benefit if you run xp pro.I suppose other versions
will also like more memory.
I don't run in dual mode since my mobo don't have that onboard.
MSI Kt3 ultra
amd xp2400 + Corsair pc2700 1024mb ddr (2 sticks)
Asus gf4 ti4400 128mb core 300mhz. mem 600mhz det.44.67
realtek ethernet card 2x
SB live 5.1 + 56k pci modem v92 trust
liteon dvd player + hp 9300i cd writer
floppy drive + maxtor120gb 8mb/7200rpm harddrive
Aopen H600 with 2 casefans + superflower 420w psu
WindowsXP Pro with all updates.

"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> schreef in bericht
> Just lately I have been having troubles with my RAM. I had 2 sticks of
> 512mb PC3200 onboard a Gigabyte 7N400 with an XP3000 CPU. They were
> running in Dual Channel Mode...
>
> The system never really performed like it had 1 GB, always running
> average or maybe even slow at times... Just a month or so ago, it
> began crahing bigtime, mainly in games or after I ran games,, and it
> never really go better, just worse, more often etc. It drove me nuts
> trying to find what the cause of these crashes was. A few nights ago I
> pulled out the RAM stick in the 3rd RAM slot, leaving me now with
> 512mb. The PC now performs well and appears to have stopped crashing.
> There is absolutely no decrease in performance any way you look at it.
> It handles games well, and on oddocassions even runs slightly faster
> than before...
>
> I might try putting that leftover stick of 512mb of RAM back in but
> thins time I will try it in the 2nd slot, making it just plain old 1Gb
> in ordinary mode...
>
> Do you think this is wise or is there maybe a reason not to..???
>
> Is there any real benefit in having 1Gb of RAM over 512mb..?? I know
> technically, you are running twice as much therefore you should see
> the benefits BUT are there any real benefits for XP Pro, other than
> bragging rights???

Sounds like you've just got a bad stick of memory.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:49:37 +0100, "Alex B"
<Freeflyer91@hotmail.com.NOSPAM> wrote:

>Sounds like you've just got a bad stick of memory.

Well, to be honest, so I thought too... BUT,, as I pulled out one
stick I thought to myself "how do I know which stick is faulty - if
indeed it IS faulty??".. Maybe even both are faulty..!!!!

I merely grabbed the stick in the 3rd slot.

I suppose I could simply experiment by..
1. Changing the sticks around and trying each one seperately
2. Simply putting the remaining stick into slot 2 and hoping it goes

I could also take it back to the shop but I would then have to take
both of them back and "IF" they replace them, it will have to be with
a matched pair again... Simply replacing one stick and getting a
matched pair out of them is like trying to guess where lightning will
strike next....

I will be glad just to have the PC working properly again,, Dual
Channel or not...