What is limiting?

I have overclocked my system to FSB=244 at Mem:CPU set to 4:5. This
overclocks the CPU, but, underclocks the ram. The system has been stable
for the last few months.

I have just got two 512MB sticks of PC3200 DDR. Replaced the two old sticks
of 256MB PC3200 with these. Now, the system is unstable at FSB=244. It is
only stable at FSB=238.

This suggested to me that the new DDR was limiting since that was the only
component that had been changed. So, I ran memtest, with the new DDR, at
FSB=215 with Mem:CPU = 1:1 and it ran fine for 7.5 hours with no errors.
Now, if the DDR is fine at 215, why should it limit at 244x4/5=195? What is
limiting?

Thanks,

Navid

ASUS P4P800 deluxe
P4C 2.6GHz
Before: 2xKingston 256MB DDR400 3-3-3
Now: 2xKingston 512MB DDR400 3-3-3

Hi,

There is no reason for the memorys not working, especially under
specs... Check what are the timmings youre pushing them or if one of
them is not working...

Stormgiant

Asus P4P800-Deluxe
NW3000@3915 FSB261 on WC
512MB OCZ BH-5 @DDR522 2-2-2-5
Power Color ATi 9800XT 520/410

"Stormgiant" <stormy_icq@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> There is no reason for the memorys not working, especially under
> specs... Check what are the timmings youre pushing them or if one of
> them is not working...

> Stormgiant
>
> Asus P4P800-Deluxe
> NW3000@3915 FSB261 on WC
> 512MB OCZ BH-5 @DDR522 2-2-2-5
> Power Color ATi 9800XT 520/410

Hi,

It actually turned out that I had disturbed the air flow in the case when I
installed the new memory. After I bundled all the wires and cleaned up
everything and put fresh Arctic Silver on the CPU, it went to even higher
frequencies. It is now stable at FSB=246 with the new memory (dual
channel). So, it was the CPU that was limiting.

Navid

Nice to see it worked out fine.

Now, try to get better timmings out of those memories :)