IM vs. email

queequee

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
I'm just wondering what advantages IM may have internally over email. Also what disadvantages. It seems to me the obvious advantage is the fact that the servers have some load taken off of them. But what are the effects on bandwidth? Also security? I work at a Police Department so that is very important concern. Thanx in advance guys.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
2 different apps. IM is like a conversation between 2 people (or more) in realtime. e-mail is like sending a letter to someone, only faster.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

queequee

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
I have a pretty good understanding of the two programs. My question had more to do with the impacts the have on the network. For example, do they clog up bandwidth more than email with the constant checking on the status of those on the contact lists, or is that compensated for with a smaller network load for eah message. Also is there a way to set up an IM that is strictly internal, no web access?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
bandwidth usage for IM is pretty minimal.
A few bytes here and there to update your 'who's online' list, and small chunks for each message you send.
such small data packets wouldnt have an impact unless your network is seriously feeble.

<b><i>Poloticians and Nappies should be changed often... For much the same reason.</b></i>

dhlucke

Polypheme
You would have to contact one of the instant message providers to purchase a secure client though. The free version is not secure.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>