Retail vs OEM processor

Alfie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

Just what is the difference between Retail and OEM processors, and why are the OEM packaged chips cheaper?

Alfie

Alfie wrote:
> Just what is the difference between Retail and OEM processors, and
> why are the OEM packaged chips cheaper?
>
> Alfie

Retail comes with heatsink/fan and warrantee from AMD.
OEM is just the CPU and warrantee (if any) is from the supplier.

"ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message
> Alfie wrote:
> > Just what is the difference between Retail and OEM processors, and
> > why are the OEM packaged chips cheaper?
> >
> > Alfie
>
> Retail comes with heatsink/fan and warrantee from AMD.
> OEM is just the CPU and warrantee (if any) is from the supplier.

Right. Funny thing is that in many computer shops, OEM is more expensive
than retail, as far as Intel is concerned...

Fish

? I've never seen an OEM cost more then a retail box version of any CPU.

"ElJerid" <s.vanderhaeghen.nospam@pandora.be> wrote in message

> "ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message
> > Alfie wrote:
> > > Just what is the difference between Retail and OEM processors, and
> > > why are the OEM packaged chips cheaper?
> > >
> > > Alfie
> >
> > Retail comes with heatsink/fan and warrantee from AMD.
> > OEM is just the CPU and warrantee (if any) is from the supplier.
> >
> Right. Funny thing is that in many computer shops, OEM is more expensive
> than retail, as far as Intel is concerned...

Not at the same store at least. CPU prices vary widely from shop to shop. Onne
shop will charge say,$200 for a retail cpu, and another place will have the oem
for the same price.