5,5 WATERCOOLER

Hi, does anyone know a silent watercooler what will be fitted in a 5,5" slot

No CPU water cooler worth owning would fit in a 5.5" slot.
I think there may be versions for gfx card cooling that fit but the radiator
required to get decent cooling results for a CPU would be way too big for a
5.5" drive slot. A silent (fanless) design would need an even larger
radiator, probably too big to go in your case never mind a drive slot.
"0ne_Up" <0neup@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> Hi, does anyone know a silent watercooler what will be fitted in a 5,5"
slot

minotaur

0ne_Up wrote:

> Hi, does anyone know a silent watercooler what will be fitted in a 5,5" slot

There is one out, forgot the name, it fits in two 5 1/4" slots.
Would rather the water being on the outside myself, but from its reviews
it is sealed good. It musn't have been that good, I just ordered the
Zalman Resevour instead (Yippie! 1st water cooling kit). That way
atleast, I can always mod it and add a radiator or larger pump unit
later on etc. :)

"0ne_Up" <0neup@tiscali.nl> wrote in message news:<40e84d43$0$62381$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>...
> Hi, does anyone know a silent watercooler what will be fitted in a 5,5" slot

I'm a rookie at this and have just started my research this week.
There are three I found, Kingwin AWC1, Evercool WC201 and Titan TWC
A04. they all look like they share the same guts and probably have
similar performance. Reviews of performance have been generally bad.
In scouring the oclock sites the general view is they beat air coolers
by 3 deg. C, or so but are lame compared to the close-to-ambient
results you get with external heavy duty systems. Sound is much
quieter than with air-cooled sink/fan combos, apparently. Though I'm
not sure why as you are substituting two fans for one. Is 3 deg.
worth the noise reduction?

I like the "in-dash" idea. The Evercool takes one bay but requires
the bays above and below to be empty as the primary radiator vents
vertically through the unit, so that's 3 bays you need. I assume the
Kingwin is the same. The Titan is trickier. It takes up two bays in
front but puts intakes above and below to vent from and to the
outside. Should be a little more effective that way since it grabs
exterior air. I'm not so keen on having frontside blowing.

Note all of these have a secondary radiator that should vent from
outside.

> 0ne_Upwrote:
Hi, does anyone know a silent watercooler what will be fitted in a
5,5" slot

I have Evercools WC101 and WC201 models running in my two computers
and find them to do an excellent job for the money I've invested in
them. They're not designed for heavy duty overclocking situations,
but can hold their own on systems using factory intended CPU and GPU
speeds. With an ambient room temp of 26 degrees, the system with
the WC101 will maintain idle CPU temp around 30 degrees and a max
load CPU temp around 42 degrees. The WC201 with CPU and GPU cooler
installed, maintains idle CPU temp around 34 degrees and max load CPU
temp around 48 degrees. Both my systems are basically the same except
the WC-101 cools an Intel 3 gig processor and the WC-201 cools an ATI
Radeon 9700 GPU and an Intel 2.4 gig processor. The WC-101 is being
phased out by the WC-201 as the 201 is better looking, more
efficient, modular, repairable and upgradeable. The only problem I
have with both units are that the primary radiators located in the
drive bays dump heat into the case. I used a bay cooler underneath
both units to remove the hot air expelled from underneath the
radiator outside the front of the case. Once I did this, the case and
CPU temps dropped by 10 deg C while idle and under load. The Titan
TWC WC-A04 fixes this short comming by inhailing cold air from the
front of the computer through the primary radiator and then expelling
it out the front of the machine again, keeping the hot air outside
the system. Both the Evercool WC-201 and the Titan WC-A04 can be
purchased on eBay. Hopefully this helps you on your quest to water
cooling your computer.

Later,
Ghostrider

==============

"Ghostrider" <ae_allen@sbcglobal-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> > 0ne_Upwrote:
> Hi, does anyone know a silent watercooler what will be fitted in a
> 5,5" slot
>
> I have Evercools WC101 and WC201 models running in my two computers
> and find them to do an excellent job for the money I've invested in
> them. They're not designed for heavy duty overclocking situations,
> but can hold their own on systems using factory intended CPU and GPU
> speeds. With an ambient room temp of 26 degrees, the system with
> the WC101 will maintain idle CPU temp around 30 degrees and a max
> load CPU temp around 42 degrees. The WC201 with CPU and GPU cooler
> installed, maintains idle CPU temp around 34 degrees and max load CPU
> temp around 48 degrees. Both my systems are basically the same except
> the WC-101 cools an Intel 3 gig processor and the WC-201 cools an ATI
> Radeon 9700 GPU and an Intel 2.4 gig processor. The WC-101 is being
> phased out by the WC-201 as the 201 is better looking, more
> efficient, modular, repairable and upgradeable. The only problem I
> have with both units are that the primary radiators located in the
> drive bays dump heat into the case. I used a bay cooler underneath
> both units to remove the hot air expelled from underneath the
> radiator outside the front of the case. Once I did this, the case and
> CPU temps dropped by 10 deg C while idle and under load. The Titan
> TWC WC-A04 fixes this short comming by inhailing cold air from the
> front of the computer through the primary radiator and then expelling
> it out the front of the machine again, keeping the hot air outside
> the system. Both the Evercool WC-201 and the Titan WC-A04 can be
> purchased on eBay. Hopefully this helps you on your quest to water
> cooling your computer.
>
> Later,
> Ghostrider

What is the advantage over air cooling???.... From reading your description:
you still have fans so it's no quieter, and your temps are no better than a
good air cooled set up. It seams like a lot of expense and complexity for no
obvious gain?

--

> What is the advantage over air cooling???.... From reading your
> you still have fans so it's no quieter, and your temps are no better
than a
> good air cooled set up. It seams like a lot of expense and
complexity for no
> obvious gain?

The big advantage is keeping your motherboard, and other internal
components cooler. This extends the life of your motherboard, memory,
harddrive and even power supply. My motherboard temps are only 2
degrees C above the ambient temp in the room. CPU fans can only pump
heat away from the CPU and into the case where the case fans extract
it into the room. This means a higher internal case temp. The heat
has to go somewhere.

You mentioned that the temps are in the range of the high performance
fan coolers. The WC-201 is cooling both the GPU and the CPU, pumping
the heat outside the case. Remember, the high performance CPU fan is
only cooling the CPU.

The noise produced by the fans in my system with the WC-101 in it is
about 35db, while the system with the WC-201 in it is a moderate
20db. I know for a fact that some of those high performace CPU fans
sound like a cyclone when running. In fact, I believe one of them
goes by that name.

So in short, I have better CPU and Case temps than a high performace
CPU fan and my systems noise levels are at an acceptable level too. I
didn't even spend $110 on each of these cooling solutions either.
(That's including the extra fans I purchased) These water coolers
can be purchased at eBay or pricewatch.com in the mid $80 dollar
range.

Again, these self contained coolers can handle moderate system
overclocking at best. I tested the WC-101 once and had a 2.4 gig
processor running at 2.6 gigs stable. During all loads, the CPU ran
only 5 degrees C hotter than normal. I did this mainly to see what it
could do. I've since configured my system to factory defalt speeds.

These water coolers are an excellent way for beginners to learn the
basics of water cooling a computer at an afforable price and minimal
difficulty. You don't need to run out and shell out $199 or $299 for
a cooling solution just to learn the basics. Who knows, maybe after
playing with these water coolers for awhile, you'll build the next
cooler from scratch.

Later,
Ghostrider