2.4 P4 w/1m L2

Hey all,
Found a good price on this oem CPU($130). It's a 478 pin,800 FSB,1mb cache
etc. Anyone have anything to say,good or bad, on the overclocking potential of
this?Is there anything better in the same price rage?I'd be willing to go
another $20 or so.
Also,what's a decent,affordable mobo w/i865pe chipset to go with it. Or,is
there a better choice of board? I don't need extreme OC features cause my ram
is just Winbond PC 3700(466 FSB?). Be aware,I'm not looking for bleeding edge
cause I just can't afford it. Thanks,Dawg
9 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "YanquiDawg" <yanquidawg@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    > Found a good price on this oem CPU($130). It's a 478 pin,800 FSB,1mb
    cache
    > etc. Anyone have anything to say,good or bad, on the overclocking
    potential of
    > this?Is there anything better in the same price rage?I'd be willing to go
    > another $20 or so.
    > Also,what's a decent,affordable mobo w/i865pe chipset to go with it.
    Or,is
    > there a better choice of board? I don't need extreme OC features cause my
    ram
    > is just Winbond PC 3700(466 FSB?). Be aware,I'm not looking for bleeding
    edge
    > cause I just can't afford it. Thanks,Dawg

    An 800 FSB P4 2.4 with 1Mb L2? No such thing. Not even in the Xeon lineup.
    Are you sure this is not the Prescott 2.8 P4?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Okay,the ad just says
    "Intel Pentium 4processor@2.4ghz,478-pin 1M L2 cache-Retail."This was the order
    page.Went back to the main page and it is a 533 FSB cpu. .My bad. So,what is
    it? What FSB can it support.

    >An 800 FSB P4 2.4 with 1Mb L2? No such thing. Not even in the Xeon lineup.
    >Are you sure this is not the Prescott 2.8 P4?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Augustus wrote:
    >> Found a good price on this oem CPU($130). It's a 478 pin,800
    >> FSB,1mb cache etc. Anyone have anything to say,good or bad, on the
    >> overclocking potential of this?Is there anything better in the same
    >> price rage?I'd be willing to go another $20 or so.
    >> Also,what's a decent,affordable mobo w/i865pe chipset to go with
    >> it. Or,is there a better choice of board? I don't need extreme OC
    >> features cause my ram is just Winbond PC 3700(466 FSB?). Be
    >> aware,I'm not looking for bleeding edge cause I just can't afford
    >> it. Thanks,Dawg
    >
    > An 800 FSB P4 2.4 with 1Mb L2? No such thing. Not even in the Xeon
    > lineup. Are you sure this is not the Prescott 2.8 P4?

    I know this thing, but it should have 533 MHz FSB. It was VERY overclockable
    ;-)
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjAz

    Thomas
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > I know this thing, but it should have 533 MHz FSB. It was VERY
    overclockable
    > ;-)
    > http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjAz
    >
    > Thomas

    So basically this is an early pre-release Prescott at 533FSB? The 2.8
    Prescott is this processor at 800FSB?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    YanquiDawg wrote:
    > Okay,the ad just says
    > "Intel Pentium 4processor@2.4ghz,478-pin 1M L2 cache-Retail."This was
    > the order page.Went back to the main page and it is a 533 FSB cpu.
    > .My bad. So,what is it? What FSB can it support.
    >
    >> An 800 FSB P4 2.4 with 1Mb L2? No such thing. Not even in the Xeon
    >> lineup. Are you sure this is not the Prescott 2.8 P4?

    Check the link I supplied.. the processor does 2400 MHz when clocked to 533.
    You can overclock it though, and quite well. Only (possible) disadvantage is
    that it doesnt support hyperthreading...

    Thomas
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Augustus wrote:
    >> I know this thing, but it should have 533 MHz FSB. It was VERY
    >> overclockable ;-)
    >> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjAz
    >>
    >> Thomas
    >
    > So basically this is an early pre-release Prescott at 533FSB? The 2.8
    > Prescott is this processor at 800FSB?

    I think it was released later than the first three Prescotts, probably to
    get rid off samples that weren't running very well...

    Thomas
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Guess I'll have to seriously consider buying this chip. And possibly the MSI
    mobo too. For $60,what's not to like.

    >>> I know this thing, but it should have 533 MHz FSB. It was VERY
    >>> overclockable ;-)
    >>> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjAz
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On 07 Jul 2004 21:52:02 GMT, yanquidawg@aol.com (YanquiDawg) wrote:

    >Okay,the ad just says
    >"Intel Pentium 4processor@2.4ghz,478-pin 1M L2 cache-Retail."This was the order
    >page.Went back to the main page and it is a 533 FSB cpu. .My bad. So,what is
    >it? What FSB can it support.

    it is a PrescHOT, but maybe could hit 200Fsb with the excelent WC
    & some more Vcore juice+ .. you need a good PSU also for that ..
    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Hi,

    Most of the people are getting 200fsb on AIR...
    with WC 215/220 are possible.

    Max i've seen from friends is 250fsb....( on prommy )
    Max in world was made by Macci with 4800Mhz !!!!! that's doubling the
    cpu speed...

    I'm getting one to try to get some 4100/4200 on my WC setup...
    One heck of a cpu if you don't need the HT.

    Stormgiant

    Asus P4P800-Deluxe
    NW3000@3915 FSB261 on WC
    512MB OCZ BH-5 @DDR522 2-2-2-5
    Power Color ATi 9800XT 520/410

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 02:01:54 +0200, Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote:

    >On 07 Jul 2004 21:52:02 GMT, yanquidawg@aol.com (YanquiDawg) wrote:
    >
    >>Okay,the ad just says
    >>"Intel Pentium 4processor@2.4ghz,478-pin 1M L2 cache-Retail."This was the order
    >>page.Went back to the main page and it is a 533 FSB cpu. .My bad. So,what is
    >>it? What FSB can it support.
    >
    >it is a PrescHOT, but maybe could hit 200Fsb with the excelent WC
    >& some more Vcore juice+ .. you need a good PSU also for that ..

Overclocking Hardware