FSB and multiplier settings...HELP ME!

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 8, 2004 8:26:08 PM

PC configuration:
1. AMD AthlonXP 2800+ (Socket A)
2. Motherboard ASUS A7V600-X (BIOS 1002)
3. 512 MB of RAM 400DDR Elixir
4. HD Maxtor SATA 80GB.
5. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1

The default settings in BIOS are:
CPU SPEED: 2083 MHz
CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE: 12.5x
CPU EXTERNAL FREQ.: 166/33
MEMORY FREQ.: AUTO
CPU VCore SETTING: AUTO

If I rise CPU EXTERNAL FREQ. from 166 to 200 ( =>400FSB right? ) and I
decrease CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE from 12.5x to 10.5x, do I obtain again about
2083 MHz in CPU SPEED, right?
Therefore, I wonder whether:

1)Since I have RAM 400DDR, do I gain something in terms of performance?
2)It's useful to have sincrony between CPU and memory?
3)Do I cause a general overheating?
4)Do I have the same stability that I have now with default settings?
5)Can these changes be considered overclock?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2004 8:26:09 PM

Why post the same question in this NG that you posted to
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd on the 4th?
news:p 4VFc.34932$c_1.1081203@twister1.libero.it

Don't you trust the answers you got?

Godfather wrote:
> PC configuration:
> 1. AMD AthlonXP 2800+ (Socket A)
> 2. Motherboard ASUS A7V600-X (BIOS 1002)
> 3. 512 MB of RAM 400DDR Elixir
> 4. HD Maxtor SATA 80GB.
> 5. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
>
> The default settings in BIOS are:
> CPU SPEED: 2083 MHz
> CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE: 12.5x
> CPU EXTERNAL FREQ.: 166/33
> MEMORY FREQ.: AUTO
> CPU VCore SETTING: AUTO
>
> If I rise CPU EXTERNAL FREQ. from 166 to 200 ( =>400FSB right? ) and I
> decrease CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE from 12.5x to 10.5x, do I obtain again
> about 2083 MHz in CPU SPEED, right?
> Therefore, I wonder whether:
>
> 1)Since I have RAM 400DDR, do I gain something in terms of
> performance? 2)It's useful to have sincrony between CPU and memory?
> 3)Do I cause a general overheating?
> 4)Do I have the same stability that I have now with default settings?
> 5)Can these changes be considered overclock?
>
> Thanks
July 8, 2004 11:57:32 PM

was there anything wrong with the replies in the other ng you posted this
too?
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
why post again?
"Godfather" <godfather@godfather.com> wrote in message
> PC configuration:
> 1. AMD AthlonXP 2800+ (Socket A)
> 2. Motherboard ASUS A7V600-X (BIOS 1002)
> 3. 512 MB of RAM 400DDR Elixir
> 4. HD Maxtor SATA 80GB.
> 5. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
>
> The default settings in BIOS are:
> CPU SPEED: 2083 MHz
> CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE: 12.5x
> CPU EXTERNAL FREQ.: 166/33
> MEMORY FREQ.: AUTO
> CPU VCore SETTING: AUTO
>
> If I rise CPU EXTERNAL FREQ. from 166 to 200 ( =>400FSB right? ) and I
> decrease CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE from 12.5x to 10.5x, do I obtain again about
> 2083 MHz in CPU SPEED, right?
> Therefore, I wonder whether:
>
> 1)Since I have RAM 400DDR, do I gain something in terms of performance?
> 2)It's useful to have sincrony between CPU and memory?
> 3)Do I cause a general overheating?
> 4)Do I have the same stability that I have now with default settings?
> 5)Can these changes be considered overclock?
>
> Thanks

Related resources
July 9, 2004 12:27:32 PM

Because I'm looking for others ideas on this topic! Maybe is it a crime??
The answer is...Absolutely not!
"Sunbow" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio
> was there anything wrong with the replies in the other ng you posted this
> too?
> alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
> why post again?
> "Godfather" <godfather@godfather.com> wrote in message
> > PC configuration:
> > 1. AMD AthlonXP 2800+ (Socket A)
> > 2. Motherboard ASUS A7V600-X (BIOS 1002)
> > 3. 512 MB of RAM 400DDR Elixir
> > 4. HD Maxtor SATA 80GB.
> > 5. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
> >
> > The default settings in BIOS are:
> > CPU SPEED: 2083 MHz
> > CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE: 12.5x
> > CPU EXTERNAL FREQ.: 166/33
> > MEMORY FREQ.: AUTO
> > CPU VCore SETTING: AUTO
> >
> > If I rise CPU EXTERNAL FREQ. from 166 to 200 ( =>400FSB right? ) and I
> > decrease CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE from 12.5x to 10.5x, do I obtain again about
> > 2083 MHz in CPU SPEED, right?
> > Therefore, I wonder whether:
> >
> > 1)Since I have RAM 400DDR, do I gain something in terms of performance?
> > 2)It's useful to have sincrony between CPU and memory?
> > 3)Do I cause a general overheating?
> > 4)Do I have the same stability that I have now with default settings?
> > 5)Can these changes be considered overclock?
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2004 1:33:35 AM

1. You WILL have a bit of a performance increase compared to 166 MHz FSB.
It's always best to have the RAM running at the MHz it's rated at or higher
(if it can).
2. Yes. Generally, having your RAM and CPU FSB syncronised is best because
one wont have to wait for the other to 'catch up'
3. Your CPU may run a tiny bit hotter since its default FSB is 166, your RAM
wont since it IS rated at 200 MHz.
4. I havnt had any experience with changing multipliers, but I reckon your
PC should stay the same in terms of stability. Depending on how old you
2800+ Barton CPU, you will either have a normally packaged locked version or
the new packaging 'super locked' version. Use Google to find articles about
how to unlock an older Barton, but if it is super locked, wait until someone
replies to my post asking how to unlock them.
5. Yes I think you could call this overclocking since you're increasing the
FSB. Nothing to worry about though, I've had my 2500+ running at 200 FSB
since I got it 6 months ago and it's been stable.

If you've already managed to unlock your Barton and it was super locked,
tell me!

Hope that helps,

mikew

!