Dell Inspiron CDROM went bye bye

Hey guys... got a dell inspiron laptop. This is the weirdest thing. I'm
'fixing' it for a friend (she got a virus). I wiped the HD clean and
reloaded a fresh copy of XP pro... I even loaded suse linux 9.1 just for
kicks. It was working perfectly. So I packed it up with the intention of
bringing it back. Only she wasn't home so I came back home and plugged
it in just to surf and listen to some tunes. Now for some crazy reason
the darn CDROM doesn't work! I checked the BIOS and it doesn't even see
that it's there! Obviously neither windows or linux see it either. (Now
I feel like a complete dork because I told her I have it working.)
There's a panel underneath the CDROM for connections and it looks and
feels like everything is snug. There's also power going to the drive
because the LCD lights and it spins up when a CD is inserted. I have no
clue what could've happened between my house and hers.

check the connection at the back, if its a cable then push it tight in, if
it's a hard connector then re-seat the drive.
this is what you get for helping a mate out. hope you get it sorted.

Robin

robin.gordon1 wrote:
> check the connection at the back, if its a cable then push it tight in, if
> it's a hard connector then re-seat the drive.
> this is what you get for helping a mate out. hope you get it sorted.
>
> Robin

you got it... it's fixed! thanks a ton!!!

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 02:08:28 -0500, nikoli <spam@spamsux.com> wrote:

Does this drive plug into the "drive bay" on the right side of the
unit? If so, can you release the pull-out handle near the right side
off the drive (looking straight on to the drive), and pull out the
drive. Then re-seat the drive.

Which model Inspiron?