Is there any hope for super-locked AMDs?

Hi

Is there any possible way of unlocking the multiplier on so-called
'super-locked' AMD Athlon XPs? The new packaging on AMD Athlon XPs means
that there is a translucent coating on the top of the CPU (not the core
though) making it extremely difficult to do the ol' fill in the pit and join
the dots with a pencil trick. Has anyone figured out how to get around AMDs
new ploy to hold back overclocking (apart from the FSB)?

My particular model is the Athlon XP 2500+ Barton which has this new
packaging.

Thanks

mikw

mikew wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there any possible way of unlocking the multiplier on so-called
> 'super-locked' AMD Athlon XPs?

Sort of ...
http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock/

> The new packaging on AMD Athlon XPs
> means that there is a translucent coating on the top of the CPU (not
> the core though) making it extremely difficult to do the ol' fill in
> the pit and join the dots with a pencil trick.

This (the new laminate) has nothing to do with the die-locking of the CPUs.
If the laminate was the only thing stopping the unlocking of CPUs, people
wouldn't care so much. However, it's a full die-lock as in the P4's, so
there's no point fiddling with the L1/L3 configuration. Fortunately, there's
no longer any reason why you need to rejoin a bridge as opposed to just
filling it, so the laminate isn't really much of a problem.

[...]

--
Michael Brown