  • Hardware
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2004 5:00:05 AM

I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
1.0Ghz.
--
Mac Cool

More about : recommend

July 11, 2004 8:14:26 AM

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
> processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
> 1.0Ghz.

I had a PIII 1000EB running at 1140Mhz (152Mhz) for 2 years straight at
stock voltage until I upgraded. Although the 100FSB PIII 1000's are said to
have more potential for overclocking, I found the 152Mhz FSB I got to
outweigh a few more CPU mhz. There's also a non-Tualatin PIII 1100E that
should work on your board if you can find it.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2004 7:38:41 PM

Hi,

Try to get one PIII600 or PIII700 @100fsb and overclock him to
133/150fsb, depending on memory quality and cooling.

I had a few year ago a 500@750 and a 550@825 becaus P3B-F didn't have
more than 150fsb to choose :(
After that i got a celeron 1000@1200, but it was about the same speed
overall than the less Mhz P3 because of lack of cache and half the
memory paths...

The PIII600/700 could be cheaper than a 1000.

Stormgiant

Asus P4P800-Deluxe
NW3000@3915 FSB261 on WC
512MB OCZ BH-5 @DDR522 2-2-2-5
Power Color ATi 9800XT 520/410

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:00:05 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
>processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
>1.0Ghz.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2004 8:53:03 AM

Stormgiant <stormy_icq@hotmail.com> said:

> Hi,
>
> Try to get one PIII600 or PIII700 @100fsb and overclock him to
> 133/150fsb, depending on memory quality and cooling.

good suggestions, thanks
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

> > Try to get one PIII600 or PIII700 @100fsb and overclock him to
> > 133/150fsb, depending on memory quality and cooling.

Some years back, I got a batch of P3/866 chips (133 FSB), and every one of
them would run at 150 MHz FSB (~1GHz) with modest cooling.

steve
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2004 8:54:17 AM

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> said:

> There's also a non-Tualatin PIII 1100E that
> should work on your board if you can find it.

Interesting... I don't want to put too much into it though and those P3s
are relatively expensive.

--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

Mac Cool wrote:

> "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> said:
>

>>There's also a non-Tualatin PIII 1100E that
>>should work on your board if you can find it.
>>

> Interesting... I don't want to put too much into it though and those P3s
> are relatively expensive.

I'd use an adapter and put a tualatin celeron in it.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2004 10:14:52 PM

> "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> said:
>
> > There's also a non-Tualatin PIII 1100E that
> > should work on your board if you can find it.
> >

> Interesting... I don't want to put too much into it though and those P3s
> are relatively expensive.
>
> --
> Mac Cool
Older parts like that are most times more expensive then new ones are.
If you really want a P3 Chip, I'd say go http://www.ebay.com and hope you
can find one,,,
http://search.ebay.com/P3_Computers-Networking_W0QQcatr...
"Dennis E Strausser Jr."
RavingRaichu. :-)
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2004 10:56:33 PM

I agree with getting a P3 700. Get one with the 100 fsb and it is "ALMOST"
a guaranteed o/c to at least 133 fsb for 933Mhz. I have one that has been
running at 146 fsb (mem won't go higher) and stock voltage for two years
now. Seems as if some of the best overclocking chips have been the C300, P3
700, P4 1.8, and now the P4C 2.4. I love being able to save money by
staying a generation behind on parts while getting the performance of
current generation.
Silvertip
"Stormgiant" <stormy_icq@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Try to get one PIII600 or PIII700 @100fsb and overclock him to
> 133/150fsb, depending on memory quality and cooling.
>
> I had a few year ago a 500@750 and a 550@825 becaus P3B-F didn't have
> more than 150fsb to choose :(
> After that i got a celeron 1000@1200, but it was about the same speed
> overall than the less Mhz P3 because of lack of cache and half the
> memory paths...
>
> The PIII600/700 could be cheaper than a 1000.

> Stormgiant
>
> Asus P4P800-Deluxe
> NW3000@3915 FSB261 on WC
> 512MB OCZ BH-5 @DDR522 2-2-2-5
> Power Color ATi 9800XT 520/410
>

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:00:05 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:
>
> >I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
> >processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up
> >1.0Ghz.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2004 5:08:13 AM

"Silvertip" <sparksr1@earthlink.net> said:

> I agree with getting a P3 700.

A local guy offered me a new Celeron 800 w/ heat sink for $15. I took it.
I might try some modest OC and see what happens.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
> processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
> 1.0Ghz.
> --
> Mac Cool
Hi, Mac. David M. suggested something interesting. IIRC, there are
adapters for a 1.4 or 1.6(?maybe 1.8?) 'Tual' Celly, kinda like one I still
have but not using. Mine fitted the Tual to an old Abit Be6 mobo, a BX
designed for max. of 450 mhz PII, & ran sweet as a cucumber.
1.4's o'clocked better than the faster ones; however I opted for the
guarantee of the faster which luckily still o'clocked nicely. Both run at
100 fsb, BTW. Powerleap made it (adapter)1st but a co.--Evergreen, or
similar, to be found under Google--was much cheaper & accomplished the same
thing. May be w/a bios update, or maybe as is, your mobo would run those
Tual/Celly's.
Surely one could be found on Ebay. HTH & good luck. sdlomi
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 16, 2004 6:19:15 AM

sdlomi2 wrote:

> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>
>>I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
>>processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
>>1.0Ghz.
>>--
>>Mac Cool
>
> Hi, Mac. David M. suggested something interesting. IIRC, there are
> adapters for a 1.4 or 1.6(?maybe 1.8?) 'Tual' Celly, kinda like one I still
> have but not using. Mine fitted the Tual to an old Abit Be6 mobo, a BX
> designed for max. of 450 mhz PII, & ran sweet as a cucumber.
> 1.4's o'clocked better than the faster ones; however I opted for the
> guarantee of the faster which luckily still o'clocked nicely. Both run at
> 100 fsb, BTW. Powerleap made it (adapter)1st but a co.--Evergreen, or
> similar, to be found under Google--was much cheaper & accomplished the same
> thing. May be w/a bios update, or maybe as is, your mobo would run those
> Tual/Celly's.
> Surely one could be found on Ebay. HTH & good luck. sdlomi

The Celeron tualatins max at 1.4 gig.

His motherboard, being a socket 370, would need a socket adapter. The one I
use, albeit horrible docs, is the 'no name' socket adapter floating around
somewhere for something like 8 bucks.

The thing works though and can even set Vcore if you are deft enough to
trace the super small socket jumpers to the socket pins and figure out
which ones do what. The docs simply say 'put them here' (where they are),
which is defaults.

Check pricewatch. They should be the first thing that pops up with simply
"tualatin" as a whole site search since they'll be the cheapest.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 16, 2004 11:24:21 PM

I found the Celery 900 to be a great OC'r. I ran mine at 140 until my caps
blew on my board ( 2 years ). I was held back by my memory... you can get
some PC150 and see what you can do with it. At 1.26Ghz, my celery900 was
fast and I was happy.

- NuTs

!