Recommend a P3 for OC?

I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
1.0Ghz.
--
Mac Cool
12 answers Last reply

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
    > processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
    > 1.0Ghz.

    I had a PIII 1000EB running at 1140Mhz (152Mhz) for 2 years straight at
    stock voltage until I upgraded. Although the 100FSB PIII 1000's are said to
    have more potential for overclocking, I found the 152Mhz FSB I got to
    outweigh a few more CPU mhz. There's also a non-Tualatin PIII 1100E that
    should work on your board if you can find it.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Hi,

    Try to get one PIII600 or PIII700 @100fsb and overclock him to
    133/150fsb, depending on memory quality and cooling.

    I had a few year ago a 500@750 and a 550@825 becaus P3B-F didn't have
    more than 150fsb to choose :(
    After that i got a celeron 1000@1200, but it was about the same speed
    overall than the less Mhz P3 because of lack of cache and half the
    memory paths...

    The PIII600/700 could be cheaper than a 1000.

    Stormgiant

    Asus P4P800-Deluxe
    NW3000@3915 FSB261 on WC
    512MB OCZ BH-5 @DDR522 2-2-2-5
    Power Color ATi 9800XT 520/410

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:00:05 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

    >I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
    >processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
    >1.0Ghz.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Stormgiant <stormy_icq@hotmail.com> said:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Try to get one PIII600 or PIII700 @100fsb and overclock him to
    > 133/150fsb, depending on memory quality and cooling.

    good suggestions, thanks
    --
    Mac Cool
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > > Try to get one PIII600 or PIII700 @100fsb and overclock him to
    > > 133/150fsb, depending on memory quality and cooling.

    Some years back, I got a batch of P3/866 chips (133 FSB), and every one of
    them would run at 150 MHz FSB (~1GHz) with modest cooling.

    steve
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> said:

    > There's also a non-Tualatin PIII 1100E that
    > should work on your board if you can find it.

    Interesting... I don't want to put too much into it though and those P3s
    are relatively expensive.

    --
    Mac Cool
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Mac Cool wrote:

    > "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> said:
    >

    >>There's also a non-Tualatin PIII 1100E that
    >>should work on your board if you can find it.
    >>

    > Interesting... I don't want to put too much into it though and those P3s
    > are relatively expensive.

    I'd use an adapter and put a tualatin celeron in it.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> said:
    >
    > > There's also a non-Tualatin PIII 1100E that
    > > should work on your board if you can find it.
    > >

    > Interesting... I don't want to put too much into it though and those P3s
    > are relatively expensive.
    >
    > --
    > Mac Cool
    Older parts like that are most times more expensive then new ones are.
    If you really want a P3 Chip, I'd say go http://www.ebay.com and hope you
    can find one,,,
    http://search.ebay.com/P3_Computers-Networking_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQsacategoryZ58058
    "Dennis E Strausser Jr."
    RavingRaichu. :-)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I agree with getting a P3 700. Get one with the 100 fsb and it is "ALMOST"
    a guaranteed o/c to at least 133 fsb for 933Mhz. I have one that has been
    running at 146 fsb (mem won't go higher) and stock voltage for two years
    now. Seems as if some of the best overclocking chips have been the C300, P3
    700, P4 1.8, and now the P4C 2.4. I love being able to save money by
    staying a generation behind on parts while getting the performance of
    current generation.
    Silvertip
    "Stormgiant" <stormy_icq@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Try to get one PIII600 or PIII700 @100fsb and overclock him to
    > 133/150fsb, depending on memory quality and cooling.
    >
    > I had a few year ago a 500@750 and a 550@825 becaus P3B-F didn't have
    > more than 150fsb to choose :(
    > After that i got a celeron 1000@1200, but it was about the same speed
    > overall than the less Mhz P3 because of lack of cache and half the
    > memory paths...
    >
    > The PIII600/700 could be cheaper than a 1000.

    > Stormgiant
    >
    > Asus P4P800-Deluxe
    > NW3000@3915 FSB261 on WC
    > 512MB OCZ BH-5 @DDR522 2-2-2-5
    > Power Color ATi 9800XT 520/410
    >

    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:00:05 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
    > >processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up
    > >1.0Ghz.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Silvertip" <sparksr1@earthlink.net> said:

    > I agree with getting a P3 700.

    A local guy offered me a new Celeron 800 w/ heat sink for $15. I took it.
    I might try some modest OC and see what happens.
    --
    Mac Cool
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
    > processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
    > 1.0Ghz.
    > --
    > Mac Cool
    Hi, Mac. David M. suggested something interesting. IIRC, there are
    adapters for a 1.4 or 1.6(?maybe 1.8?) 'Tual' Celly, kinda like one I still
    have but not using. Mine fitted the Tual to an old Abit Be6 mobo, a BX
    designed for max. of 450 mhz PII, & ran sweet as a cucumber.
    1.4's o'clocked better than the faster ones; however I opted for the
    guarantee of the faster which luckily still o'clocked nicely. Both run at
    100 fsb, BTW. Powerleap made it (adapter)1st but a co.--Evergreen, or
    similar, to be found under Google--was much cheaper & accomplished the same
    thing. May be w/a bios update, or maybe as is, your mobo would run those
    Tual/Celly's.
    Surely one could be found on Ebay. HTH & good luck. sdlomi
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    sdlomi2 wrote:

    > "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
    >>processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
    >>1.0Ghz.
    >>--
    >>Mac Cool
    >
    > Hi, Mac. David M. suggested something interesting. IIRC, there are
    > adapters for a 1.4 or 1.6(?maybe 1.8?) 'Tual' Celly, kinda like one I still
    > have but not using. Mine fitted the Tual to an old Abit Be6 mobo, a BX
    > designed for max. of 450 mhz PII, & ran sweet as a cucumber.
    > 1.4's o'clocked better than the faster ones; however I opted for the
    > guarantee of the faster which luckily still o'clocked nicely. Both run at
    > 100 fsb, BTW. Powerleap made it (adapter)1st but a co.--Evergreen, or
    > similar, to be found under Google--was much cheaper & accomplished the same
    > thing. May be w/a bios update, or maybe as is, your mobo would run those
    > Tual/Celly's.
    > Surely one could be found on Ebay. HTH & good luck. sdlomi

    The Celeron tualatins max at 1.4 gig.

    His motherboard, being a socket 370, would need a socket adapter. The one I
    use, albeit horrible docs, is the 'no name' socket adapter floating around
    somewhere for something like 8 bucks.

    The thing works though and can even set Vcore if you are deft enough to
    trace the super small socket jumpers to the socket pins and figure out
    which ones do what. The docs simply say 'put them here' (where they are),
    which is defaults.

    Check pricewatch. They should be the first thing that pops up with simply
    "tualatin" as a whole site search since they'll be the cheapest.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I found the Celery 900 to be a great OC'r. I ran mine at 140 until my caps
    blew on my board ( 2 years ). I was held back by my memory... you can get
    some PC150 and see what you can do with it. At 1.26Ghz, my celery900 was
    fast and I was happy.

    - NuTs

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > I picked up a nice little Asus CUV4X-M socket 370 board. Which P3
    > processor would be a good choice for OC? I think this board supports up to
    > 1.0Ghz.
    > --
    > Mac Cool

Overclocking Hardware