Power Supply Recommendations for Athlon 2400XP, 6 HD's and..

I upgraded from my old Tualatin Cerleron 1100a to an Athlon 2400XP

Being the cheap bastad that I am, I had waited to the point I couldn't
stand it anymore. So, I bought a used Shuttle AK35-GT Raid mobo and
new Athlon 2400XP chip. I tested the mobo/chip combo on the bench for
a couple of days before I gutted my system. I knew power could be an
issue with the Athlon but was in denial I guess. Here's what I have in
the box after the upgrade:
Antec 1040B Case and PP-412X 400watt PS
Shuttle AK35-GT Raid Mobo
Athlon 2400XP processor
cheap Thermaltake TR2 copper core heatsink
60mm to 80mm fan adapter
Thermaltake 80mm 75CFM fan
Generic 512mb PC3200 that uses the same chips as this OCZ module
http://www.legitreviews.com/reviews/ocz3700/
ATI Radeon 9600XT Vid Card
SoundBlaster Live!
Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI IDE controller
3Com 10/100 network card
USB 2.0 PCI card
U.S. Robotics 2977 OEM hardware based modem

Four 80mm Fans (2 in front, 2 in back)

DRIVES:
qty 1 One Maxtor 80gig model 740
qty 1 Western Digital 120gig
qty 3 W.D. 2000JB's 200gig
qty 1 W.D. 2500JB 250gig
Lite-On 16x DVD Reader
Lite-On 52x24x52 CD burner
NEC DC-2500a DVD burner
250mb IDE ZIP drive

Right now I have an old AT style power supply feeding the 5 western
digital hard disks and the Antec 400watt everything else. Everything
seems stable so far after loading XP-sp1 from scratch.

I know I need to find a power supply that has some good 12volt rails.
My Antec 400watt was fine with all this stuff until I went from Socket
370 Tualatin to Socket 462 AthlonXP.

My old power supply had the following specs:
+3.3 28amps
+5 40amps
+12 18amps

I can pick one of these up locally for about $89
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0

or I was looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-910&depa=0

I built a P4-C 2.6GHz with similiar drives in it for a friend and he
bought the 530 watt unit and it's working fine for him.

I noticed that a lot of the EPS units have really strong +12 rails but
what can I do about converting 24pin to 20pin ATX standard?

If anyone could give me personal experiences with rigs having lots of
drives or ways of calculating the power needs of these components I
would greatly appreciate it.

250 watt PSU should be fine.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 02:49:00 GMT, MHz Tweaker <Clint@Smith&Wesson.com>
wrote:

>I upgraded from my old Tualatin Cerleron 1100a to an Athlon 2400XP
>
>Being the cheap bastad that I am, I had waited to the point I couldn't
>stand it anymore. So, I bought a used Shuttle AK35-GT Raid mobo and
>new Athlon 2400XP chip. I tested the mobo/chip combo on the bench for
>a couple of days before I gutted my system. I knew power could be an
>issue with the Athlon but was in denial I guess. Here's what I have in
>the box after the upgrade:
>Antec 1040B Case and PP-412X 400watt PS
>Shuttle AK35-GT Raid Mobo
>Athlon 2400XP processor
>cheap Thermaltake TR2 copper core heatsink
>60mm to 80mm fan adapter
>Thermaltake 80mm 75CFM fan
>Generic 512mb PC3200 that uses the same chips as this OCZ module
>http://www.legitreviews.com/reviews/ocz3700/
>ATI Radeon 9600XT Vid Card
>SoundBlaster Live!
>Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI IDE controller
>3Com 10/100 network card
>USB 2.0 PCI card
>U.S. Robotics 2977 OEM hardware based modem
>
>Four 80mm Fans (2 in front, 2 in back)
>
>DRIVES:
>qty 1 One Maxtor 80gig model 740
>qty 1 Western Digital 120gig
>qty 3 W.D. 2000JB's 200gig
>qty 1 W.D. 2500JB 250gig
>Lite-On 16x DVD Reader
>Lite-On 52x24x52 CD burner
>NEC DC-2500a DVD burner
>250mb IDE ZIP drive
>
>Right now I have an old AT style power supply feeding the 5 western
>digital hard disks and the Antec 400watt everything else. Everything
>seems stable so far after loading XP-sp1 from scratch.
>
>I know I need to find a power supply that has some good 12volt rails.
>My Antec 400watt was fine with all this stuff until I went from Socket
>370 Tualatin to Socket 462 AthlonXP.
>
>My old power supply had the following specs:
>+3.3 28amps
>+5 40amps
>+12 18amps
>
>I can pick one of these up locally for about $89
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0
>
>or I was looking at this one:
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-910&depa=0
>
>I built a P4-C 2.6GHz with similiar drives in it for a friend and he
>bought the 530 watt unit and it's working fine for him.
>
>I noticed that a lot of the EPS units have really strong +12 rails but
>what can I do about converting 24pin to 20pin ATX standard?
>
>If anyone could give me personal experiences with rigs having lots of
>drives or ways of calculating the power needs of these components I
>would greatly appreciate it.

Fairly low end system what di you upgrade to, should you have bothered
?

MHz Tweaker wrote:
> I upgraded from my old Tualatin Cerleron 1100a to an Athlon 2400XP
>
> Being the cheap bastad that I am, I had waited to the point I couldn't
> stand it anymore. So, I bought a used Shuttle AK35-GT Raid mobo and
> new Athlon 2400XP chip. I tested the mobo/chip combo on the bench for
> a couple of days before I gutted my system. I knew power could be an
> issue with the Athlon but was in denial I guess. Here's what I have in
> the box after the upgrade:
> Antec 1040B Case and PP-412X 400watt PS
> Shuttle AK35-GT Raid Mobo
> Athlon 2400XP processor
> cheap Thermaltake TR2 copper core heatsink
> 60mm to 80mm fan adapter
> Thermaltake 80mm 75CFM fan
> Generic 512mb PC3200 that uses the same chips as this OCZ module
> http://www.legitreviews.com/reviews/ocz3700/
> ATI Radeon 9600XT Vid Card
> SoundBlaster Live!
> Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI IDE controller
> 3Com 10/100 network card
> USB 2.0 PCI card
> U.S. Robotics 2977 OEM hardware based modem
>
> Four 80mm Fans (2 in front, 2 in back)
>
> DRIVES:
> qty 1 One Maxtor 80gig model 740
> qty 1 Western Digital 120gig
> qty 3 W.D. 2000JB's 200gig
> qty 1 W.D. 2500JB 250gig
> Lite-On 16x DVD Reader
> Lite-On 52x24x52 CD burner
> NEC DC-2500a DVD burner
> 250mb IDE ZIP drive
>
> Right now I have an old AT style power supply feeding the 5 western
> digital hard disks and the Antec 400watt everything else. Everything
> seems stable so far after loading XP-sp1 from scratch.
>
> I know I need to find a power supply that has some good 12volt rails.
> My Antec 400watt was fine with all this stuff until I went from Socket
> 370 Tualatin to Socket 462 AthlonXP.
>
> My old power supply had the following specs:
> +3.3 28amps
> +5 40amps
> +12 18amps
>
> I can pick one of these up locally for about $89

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0

> or I was looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-910&depa=0

> I built a P4-C 2.6GHz with similiar drives in it for a friend and he
> bought the 530 watt unit and it's working fine for him.
>
> I noticed that a lot of the EPS units have really strong +12 rails but
> what can I do about converting 24pin to 20pin ATX standard?

Break off a few pins :) Seriously though, I think there's adapters out there
that do 24-pin to 20-pin. Some EPS PSUs even come with them.

> If anyone could give me personal experiences with rigs having lots of
> drives or ways of calculating the power needs of these components I
> would greatly appreciate it.

Once you start having as many drives as you do, the biggest problem is drive
spin-up on boot. SCSI drives can do progressive spin-up, where only one
drive spins up at a time, reducing the power consumption dramatically at
boot. AFAIK, ATA does not offer this ability though some drives will delay
their spinup if they are slaves.

A few years ago, the rule of thumb was that the spinup usage was about 4
times the "idle" usage of the drives. For the 2500JB's, the idle current
usages are 400mA on the 12V, and 680mA on the 5V. So for each drive, you
need to budget about 1.6A on the 12V line, and 2.7A on the 5V line. It'll
vary a bit between drives, but I think the 2500JB's will be the most
power-hungry. This data is pretty much always available on the datasheets.

So, for your HDDs alone, you're looking at about 10A on the 12V (120W), and
about 16A on the 5V (80W). These probably have to be delivered concurrently,
so you'll have to make sure the combined wattage on the 12V and 5V rails
(200W) is sufficient.

You'll have to add in a bit more for your optical drives as well. Then, all
you need to do is budget ~60W on the 12V for the CPU (or possibly the 5V
depending on the mobo), and throw in a bit of headroom for the rest. Since
nothing except the drives is going full-power while the drives are spinning
up, you don't really need too much more (as once they get going, you'll have
a pile of power left over that was used on spinning up the drives before).

Either of those PSU's you've listed should be capable of handling the load,
though the antec would be fairly borderline (since your new system draws off
the 12V and tualatins take it off the 3.3V or 5V IIRC).

--
Michael Brown

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:00:20 +1200, "Michael Brown"
<see@signature.below> wrote:

> [...]
>about 16A on the 5V (80W). These probably have to be delivered concurrently,
>so you'll have to make sure the combined wattage on the 12V and 5V rails
>(200W) is sufficient.
>
>You'll have to add in a bit more for your optical drives as well. Then, all
>you need to do is budget ~60W on the 12V for the CPU (or possibly the 5V
>depending on the mobo), and throw in a bit of headroom for the rest. Since
>nothing except the drives is going full-power while the drives are spinning
>up, you don't really need too much more (as once they get going, you'll have
>a pile of power left over that was used on spinning up the drives before).
>
>Either of those PSU's you've listed should be capable of handling the load,
>though the antec would be fairly borderline (since your new system draws off
>the 12V and tualatins take it off the 3.3V or 5V IIRC).

I ended up purchasing the FSP Fortron FSP530-60GNA unit

It has 530watts of drive spinning goodness and the following specs
3.3v - 28amps
5v - 40amps
12v - 18amps

with motherboard monitor, I get between 3.34 and 3.36 on the 3.3rail,
4.97 to 5.00 on the 5volt rail and 12.28 and 12.36 on the 12v rail.

these are the same specs as the Antec 400watt unit that it replaces
I must say it's running the AthlonXP, 6 7200RPM hard drives, 3 optical
drives, a ZIP250 and floppy very well.

Inside the power supply are individual voltage adjustments for the
3.3, 5 and 12 volt rails. A very nice touch. It has a SATA connector
and the power plugs have nifty grippers on them for easy removal. I
also liked the fact that they took the time to sleeve the ATX wires.
The power leads have good length to them and will reach the bottom of
the Antec 1040B case where I have constructed a small 2 drive mounting
in front of the lower fan. The unit also has dual fans covered on each
side with gold wire bullseye looking fan guards. I despise the cheap
units where they just punch out the metal and thus restrict airflow.

I'm thinking about adding a 10,000RPM IBM SCSI drive I have as the
boot drive to the mix. Data transfer rates are not as good as the
newer IDE units, but CPU overhead is almost non-existent and it does
have a 4.9ms seek time.

To those looking for a good PS, it is difficult to find fault in this
one for $75 at Newegg.

"MHz Tweaker" <Clint@Smith&Wesson.com> wrote in message
> I upgraded from my old Tualatin Cerleron 1100a to an Athlon 2400XP
>
> Being the cheap bastad that I am, I had waited to the point I couldn't
> stand it anymore. So, I bought a used Shuttle AK35-GT Raid mobo and
> new Athlon 2400XP chip. I tested the mobo/chip combo on the bench for
> a couple of days before I gutted my system. I knew power could be an
> issue with the Athlon but was in denial I guess. Here's what I have in
> the box after the upgrade:
> Antec 1040B Case and PP-412X 400watt PS
> Shuttle AK35-GT Raid Mobo
> Athlon 2400XP processor
> cheap Thermaltake TR2 copper core heatsink
> 60mm to 80mm fan adapter
> Thermaltake 80mm 75CFM fan
> Generic 512mb PC3200 that uses the same chips as this OCZ module
> http://www.legitreviews.com/reviews/ocz3700/
> ATI Radeon 9600XT Vid Card
> SoundBlaster Live!
> Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI IDE controller
> 3Com 10/100 network card
> USB 2.0 PCI card
> U.S. Robotics 2977 OEM hardware based modem
>
> Four 80mm Fans (2 in front, 2 in back)
>
> DRIVES:
> qty 1 One Maxtor 80gig model 740
> qty 1 Western Digital 120gig
> qty 3 W.D. 2000JB's 200gig
> qty 1 W.D. 2500JB 250gig
> Lite-On 16x DVD Reader
> Lite-On 52x24x52 CD burner
> NEC DC-2500a DVD burner
> 250mb IDE ZIP drive
>
> Right now I have an old AT style power supply feeding the 5 western
> digital hard disks and the Antec 400watt everything else. Everything
> seems stable so far after loading XP-sp1 from scratch.
>
> I know I need to find a power supply that has some good 12volt rails.
> My Antec 400watt was fine with all this stuff until I went from Socket
> 370 Tualatin to Socket 462 AthlonXP.
>
> My old power supply had the following specs:
> +3.3 28amps
> +5 40amps
> +12 18amps
>
> I can pick one of these up locally for about $89

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0

> or I was looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-910&depa=0

> I built a P4-C 2.6GHz with similiar drives in it for a friend and he
> bought the 530 watt unit and it's working fine for him.
>
> I noticed that a lot of the EPS units have really strong +12 rails but
> what can I do about converting 24pin to 20pin ATX standard?
>
> If anyone could give me personal experiences with rigs having lots of
> drives or ways of calculating the power needs of these components I
> would greatly appreciate it.

Interesting--you bought a new ps w/exact power output spec'ns as old
one! Of course, we all hope the new one has overload-protections that may
be lacking on the older AT-style! Hope you enjoy your new system and get
good service. sdlomi