Canon S900 B&W prints Cyan cast

Is ther any way I can make this printer use the black cart only to print B&W
prints on Office Depot Glossy paper?
I have tried all the settings I can see but still have a Cyan or greenish
cast, Is there a driver or 3rd party software that will do this?
Color is very good on this paper so am happy with that, But I just got a job
for 20 8X10 in B&W and I know I cannot produce an acceptable job.

Thanks for reading this and for any help or hints

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 00:17:10 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Is ther any way I can make this printer use the black cart only to print B&W
>prints on Office Depot Glossy paper?
>I have tried all the settings I can see but still have a Cyan or greenish
>cast, Is there a driver or 3rd party software that will do this?
>Color is very good on this paper so am happy with that, But I just got a job
>for 20 8X10 in B&W and I know I cannot produce an acceptable job.
>
>Thanks for reading this and for any help or hints

You do not mention your photo and or printing editor. Have you looked
at your picture in something like photoshop that can give you detailed
colors inside your photo?

What you see on screen may be way off as compared to the data you have
in your picture. In other words, your monitor may not show all the
colors that exist in your photo. Sure its greyscale photo but what is
your working environment, etc...

Give us your entire work environment and perhaps there may be an easy
solution to help.

@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 00:17:10 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>Is ther any way I can make this printer use the black cart only to print
>>B&W
>>prints on Office Depot Glossy paper?
>>I have tried all the settings I can see but still have a Cyan or greenish
>>cast, Is there a driver or 3rd party software that will do this?
>>Color is very good on this paper so am happy with that, But I just got a
>>job
>>for 20 8X10 in B&W and I know I cannot produce an acceptable job.
>>
>>Thanks for reading this and for any help or hints
>

> You do not mention your photo and or printing editor. Have you looked
> at your picture in something like photoshop that can give you detailed
> colors inside your photo?
>
> What you see on screen may be way off as compared to the data you have
> in your picture. In other words, your monitor may not show all the
> colors that exist in your photo. Sure its greyscale photo but what is
> your working environment, etc...
>
> Give us your entire work environment and perhaps there may be an easy
> solution to help.

Am using Photoshop CS. The file that I was given is a greyscale scan, it is
fine and true on the monitor, but the Canon S900 prints it with a cyan cast,
if i add magenta or subtract cyan it invariosly goes too far and I get a
magenta cast, the best I can get is using plain paer setting, highest
quality, this improves it slightly.
I cannot justify getting the Lyson Quad black inkset for the few B&W prints
I make.
What I need is someway to make the printer use black instead of Photo Cyan
and Magenta to make black(knowing this may be impossible) maybe.

Thanks,Rene Lamontagne

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:14:47 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Am using Photoshop CS. The file that I was given is a greyscale scan, it is
>fine and true on the monitor, but the Canon S900 prints it with a cyan cast,
>if i add magenta or subtract cyan it invariosly goes too far and I get a
>magenta cast, the best I can get is using plain paer setting, highest
>quality, this improves it slightly.
>I cannot justify getting the Lyson Quad black inkset for the few B&W prints
>I make.
>What I need is someway to make the printer use black instead of Photo Cyan
>and Magenta to make black(knowing this may be impossible) maybe.
>
> Thanks,Rene Lamontagne

Ok... have you tried printing on proofing paper to ensure your paper
is not causing the shift? If its definately not the paper then try
this , it may get you close to what you want.

open the picture in ps. Set the working mode to RGB.
make a hue/saturation adjustment layer.
check the colorize box
set hue to 187
saturation to 6

I think that may put you close to what you need by judging the shift
you are describing.

"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:14:47 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>Am using Photoshop CS. The file that I was given is a greyscale scan, it
>>is
>>fine and true on the monitor, but the Canon S900 prints it with a cyan
>>cast,
>>if i add magenta or subtract cyan it invariosly goes too far and I get a
>>magenta cast, the best I can get is using plain paer setting, highest
>>quality, this improves it slightly.
>>I cannot justify getting the Lyson Quad black inkset for the few B&W
>>prints
>>I make.
>>What I need is someway to make the printer use black instead of Photo Cyan
>>and Magenta to make black(knowing this may be impossible) maybe.
>>
>> Thanks,Rene Lamontagne
>

> Ok... have you tried printing on proofing paper to ensure your paper
> is not causing the shift? If its definately not the paper then try
> this , it may get you close to what you want.
>
> open the picture in ps. Set the working mode to RGB.
> make a hue/saturation adjustment layer.
> check the colorize box
> set hue to 187
> saturation to 6
>
> I think that may put you close to what you need by judging the shift
> you are describing.

Thanks Beezer, Yes that helps a lot, I find 9 seems about right for
saturation and 199 for hue seems not too bad.
Will play the numbers and proof some more to fine tune it and see how it
works out.

Thanks again, Rene Lamontagne

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 12:05:11 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:14:47 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Am using Photoshop CS. The file that I was given is a greyscale scan, it
>>>is
>>>fine and true on the monitor, but the Canon S900 prints it with a cyan
>>>cast,
>>>if i add magenta or subtract cyan it invariosly goes too far and I get a
>>>magenta cast, the best I can get is using plain paer setting, highest
>>>quality, this improves it slightly.
>>>I cannot justify getting the Lyson Quad black inkset for the few B&W
>>>prints
>>>I make.
>>>What I need is someway to make the printer use black instead of Photo Cyan
>>>and Magenta to make black(knowing this may be impossible) maybe.
>>>
>>> Thanks,Rene Lamontagne
>>

>> Ok... have you tried printing on proofing paper to ensure your paper
>> is not causing the shift? If its definately not the paper then try
>> this , it may get you close to what you want.
>>
>> open the picture in ps. Set the working mode to RGB.
>> make a hue/saturation adjustment layer.
>> check the colorize box
>> set hue to 187
>> saturation to 6
>>
>> I think that may put you close to what you need by judging the shift
>> you are describing.
>>

>Thanks Beezer, Yes that helps a lot, I find 9 seems about right for
>saturation and 199 for hue seems not too bad.
>Will play the numbers and proof some more to fine tune it and see how it
>works out.
>
>Thanks again, Rene Lamontagne

Any time... Glad to help. I just just eyeballing it on a bw image on
my end to try and replicate what you were seeing, looks like i wasnt
too far off, LOL

By the way, sepia tones are very popular, perhaps with a gradient as
well if your pure BW doesnt work out.... try the hue in the 130's for
that, LOL