P4P800 hot MOSFET transistors

I have an ASUS P4P800 deluxe motherboard.
I have noticed that two MOSFET transistors
(http://www.anpec.com.tw/products/download/PDF/APm2054a1.pdf), located
between the AGP and the adjacent PCI slot, get extremely hot. I cannot hold
my finger on them for longer than 5 seconds. Even the board in that area
gets very hot. Nothing is overclocked.

My problem is that I do not know if this is how it should be or not. The
system works! But, I don't know for how long! Should I RMA the board?

Would you please, if you have this board, kindly check and see how hot those
transistors get on your board?
Please touch the metallic part of your case first (to discharge your body)
before touching the transistors to avoid possible ESD damage.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Navid

--------------------------
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
P4C 2.6GHz
2x512MB PC3200
9600 pro
1 80GB SATA 7200
1 40GB PATA 7200
1 CD read/write
Fortron Aurora 350W PSU

"Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> I have an ASUS P4P800 deluxe motherboard.
> I have noticed that two MOSFET transistors
> (http://www.anpec.com.tw/products/download/PDF/APm2054a1.pdf), located
> between the AGP and the adjacent PCI slot, get extremely hot. I cannot
hold
> my finger on them for longer than 5 seconds. Even the board in that area
> gets very hot. Nothing is overclocked.
>
> My problem is that I do not know if this is how it should be or not. The
> system works! But, I don't know for how long! Should I RMA the board?
>
> Would you please, if you have this board, kindly check and see how hot
those
> transistors get on your board?
> Please touch the metallic part of your case first (to discharge your body)
> before touching the transistors to avoid possible ESD damage.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Navid
>
> --------------------------
> ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
> P4C 2.6GHz
> 2x512MB PC3200
> 9600 pro
> 1 80GB SATA 7200
> 1 40GB PATA 7200
> 1 CD read/write
> Fortron Aurora 350W PSU

Hm, I would have to say this is the first I've heard of
anyone having problems with that board.
And your sure on the C right, which would be a "Northwood Core."
I would get a new one, and see how it goes.
It could just be a bad board, I had a bad Gigabyte board for my one
AMD system not so long ago, Gigabyte Got back to us and told My friend
and I it had nothing to do with my Overclocking.
It was just a bad run off of the board.

When I started reading this, I thought right away you had put a Prescott
chip in it.
But then read the P4C 2.6GHz

Denny. :)

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> I have an ASUS P4P800 deluxe motherboard.
>> I have noticed that two MOSFET transistors
>> (http://www.anpec.com.tw/products/download/PDF/APm2054a1.pdf), located
>> between the AGP and the adjacent PCI slot, get extremely hot. I cannot
> hold
>> my finger on them for longer than 5 seconds. Even the board in that area
>> gets very hot. Nothing is overclocked.
>>
>> My problem is that I do not know if this is how it should be or not. The
>> system works! But, I don't know for how long! Should I RMA the board?
>>
>> Would you please, if you have this board, kindly check and see how hot
> those
>> transistors get on your board?
>> Please touch the metallic part of your case first (to discharge your
>> body)
>> before touching the transistors to avoid possible ESD damage.
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance,
>>
>> Navid
>>
>> --------------------------
>> ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
>> P4C 2.6GHz
>> 2x512MB PC3200
>> 9600 pro
>> 1 80GB SATA 7200
>> 1 40GB PATA 7200
>> 1 CD read/write
>> Fortron Aurora 350W PSU
>>

> Hm, I would have to say this is the first I've heard of
> anyone having problems with that board.
> And your sure on the C right, which would be a "Northwood Core."
> I would get a new one, and see how it goes.
> It could just be a bad board, I had a bad Gigabyte board for my one
> AMD system not so long ago, Gigabyte Got back to us and told My friend
> and I it had nothing to do with my Overclocking.
> It was just a bad run off of the board.
>
> When I started reading this, I thought right away you had put a Prescott
> chip in it.
> But then read the P4C 2.6GHz
>
> Denny. :)

Yes, it is a C. In fact, I removed the CPU and the transistors still heat
up. I just hope that someone who has this board would do me a favor and
tell me if theirs gets hot or not.

"...cannot hold my finger on them for longer than 5 seconds" is not
'extremely hot' for switching transistors that convert 12 VDC to the core
voltage (for a Pentium 4 CPU.) I'd guess 60 degrees C (140 F) would be
hotter than you'd want to touch for more than five seconds, and that
temperature is well within the operating temperature range.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
> "...cannot hold my finger on them for longer than 5 seconds" is not
> 'extremely hot' for switching transistors that convert 12 VDC to the core
> voltage (for a Pentium 4 CPU.) I'd guess 60 degrees C (140 F) would be
> hotter than you'd want to touch for more than five seconds, and that
> temperature is well within the operating temperature range.
>

> "Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> I have an ASUS P4P800 deluxe motherboard.
>> I have noticed that two MOSFET transistors
>> (http://www.anpec.com.tw/products/download/PDF/APm2054a1.pdf), located
>> between the AGP and the adjacent PCI slot, get extremely hot. I cannot
> hold
>> my finger on them for longer than 5 seconds. Even the board in that area
>> gets very hot. Nothing is overclocked.
>>
>> My problem is that I do not know if this is how it should be or not. The
>> system works! But, I don't know for how long! Should I RMA the board?
>>
>> Would you please, if you have this board, kindly check and see how hot
> those
>> transistors get on your board?
>> Please touch the metallic part of your case first (to discharge your
>> body)
>> before touching the transistors to avoid possible ESD damage.
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance,
>>
>> Navid

I don't see how this can get any hotter, and it will if I overclock since
the CPU current will increase when overclocked. I think this is too hot for
the FSB set at the 200 default. I just hope that someone here would do me
a favor and tell me if theirs is also hot or not. Thanks for your reply.

> "Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
> > "...cannot hold my finger on them for longer than 5 seconds" is not
> > 'extremely hot' for switching transistors that convert 12 VDC to the
core
> > voltage (for a Pentium 4 CPU.) I'd guess 60 degrees C (140 F) would be
> > hotter than you'd want to touch for more than five seconds, and that
> > temperature is well within the operating temperature range.
> >

> > "Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> >> I have an ASUS P4P800 deluxe motherboard.
> >> I have noticed that two MOSFET transistors
> >> (http://www.anpec.com.tw/products/download/PDF/APm2054a1.pdf), located
> >> between the AGP and the adjacent PCI slot, get extremely hot. I cannot
> > hold
> >> my finger on them for longer than 5 seconds. Even the board in that
area
> >> gets very hot. Nothing is overclocked.
> >>
> >> My problem is that I do not know if this is how it should be or not.
The
> >> system works! But, I don't know for how long! Should I RMA the board?
> >>
> >> Would you please, if you have this board, kindly check and see how hot
> > those
> >> transistors get on your board?
> >> Please touch the metallic part of your case first (to discharge your
> >> body)
> >> before touching the transistors to avoid possible ESD damage.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot in advance,
> >>
> >> Navid
>
> I don't see how this can get any hotter, and it will if I overclock since
> the CPU current will increase when overclocked. I think this is too hot
for
> the FSB set at the 200 default. I just hope that someone here would do
me
> a favor and tell me if theirs is also hot or not. Thanks for your reply.

These two MOSFETs are not supplying power to the CPU, more likely they serve
the AGP card (hence their location), so overclocking the CPU won't effect
them at all.
MOSFETs are rated for well over 100C (about 120C from memory) so if they
were even approaching their maximum operating temp you would instantly burn
and blister your finger by touching them. The PCB around them is designed to
get hot, the way they are mounted relies on the PCB acting as a heatsink.
I'm certain you have nothing to worry about but if it makes you any happy
you could epoxy a couple of small heatsinks to them.

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> --
> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> "Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
> > > "...cannot hold my finger on them for longer than 5 seconds" is not
> > > 'extremely hot' for switching transistors that convert 12 VDC to the
> core
> > > voltage (for a Pentium 4 CPU.) I'd guess 60 degrees C (140 F) would
be
> > > hotter than you'd want to touch for more than five seconds, and that
> > > temperature is well within the operating temperature range.
> > >

> > > "Navid" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > > hold
> area

> The

> > > those

> > I don't see how this can get any hotter, and it will if I overclock
since
> > the CPU current will increase when overclocked. I think this is too hot
> for
> > the FSB set at the 200 default. I just hope that someone here would do
> me
> > a favor and tell me if theirs is also hot or not. Thanks for your
reply.

> These two MOSFETs are not supplying power to the CPU, more likely they
serve
> the AGP card (hence their location), so overclocking the CPU won't effect
> them at all.
> MOSFETs are rated for well over 100C (about 120C from memory) so if they
> were even approaching their maximum operating temp you would instantly
burn
> and blister your finger by touching them. The PCB around them is designed
> get hot, the way they are mounted relies on the PCB acting as a heatsink.
> I'm certain you have nothing to worry about but if it makes you any happy
> you could epoxy a couple of small heatsinks to them.

Man, I don't care what the rest of you think.
Nothing on my Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro gets that hot.
Oh wait, MOSFETs? Those things are ment to take on heat.
They will also get a bit hotter if you put a Prescott in it.
Like as if,,,, I have only not got myself a Prescott cause they are
not all that fast.
2.6 GHz vs 2.6 GHz
2.6C the 2.6E ran more like a 2.4 GHz chip
2.8C the 2.6E ran more like a 2.6 GHz chip
3.0C the 2.8E ran more like a 2.8 GHz chip
give or take a little better then this( for the prescott, that is), but not
by a lot.
But you get the picture, yes, this is normal.
They are ment to take on some heat.
Denny. :)