Motherboard / Overclocking

"John" <jmort@despammed.com> wrote in message
news:cd817j$r0p$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Is the Abit NF7 still a good choice for overclocking flexibility or is it
> superseded now ?
>
> Thanks

Yeah, it's a good board for that.
You can get the Asus A7N8X-X A7N8X-VM & "A7N8X"
For cheaper though.
If you want to spend the $ for one, you could get the A7N8X-E Deluxe.
I have a "A7N8X" with a 2200+ it overclocks well, in till I go over what my
PSU can do.
The last time I can remember, and when sandra was able to do an ok report
on it
when I overclock by just so much, the cpu watts go over 130
so that's like, 20 + 20 Hd/cd
and @ least another 100 for the board, after all, I am overclocking.
This makes me about 20Watts short with the wimpy little 350Watt I have
now.
plus about 5 for each fan.
two case fans, and a Xeon wind tunnel.
that's about 15 or 20 watts.
I guess I should go out & get a better PSU one of these days
cause the psu is the one, and only thing holding me back from a better
overclock.
Like running close to a 2800+ is not really enough.

Features include.
Locked agp + pci This can also be set to auto, but I suggest setting them
to 66/33 standard.
In some cases, you can change the multiplier.
Mine can be changed, but only to 14 from 13.5
I find setting a lower multi. & a higher fsb gets me better
performance.
Ram auto with cpu~fsb, seems to be the best setting.
you can change ram timings if the ram can take it.
MB's I had a bad AMD Gigabyte MB
I thought it was my fault, but the company said to the computer shop
that I could've almost burned chips off the board, and it still wouldn't
have been messed up the way it was,. "Bad Bios Chip."
My next Gigabyte board will be a dual bios board.

Of which, there may be an option for you there too.
"GA-7VT600 1394" with Dual bios. or GA-7VAXP
Darn it, newegg don't have any new ones.
:) Shopping for a new MB is work in it's self. (-:
There's too many out on the market.
Denny. Huh? Oops,,
RavingRaichu. :)

Just got my NF7-S 2.0 and iam going to set it standard speed and see
if i realy need to overclock, i know i will just can't resist :)

John wrote:
> Is the Abit NF7 still a good choice for overclocking flexibility or
> is it superseded now ?

The NF7 and the NF7-S are still great boards.The newer NF7-S2 and NF7-S2G
lack some of the features of the older boards.