problems with wireless connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 6:26:02 PM

I have a new laptop with a centino processor. It connects to my broadband no
problem with the cable to modem/router(voyager 2100). However i cannot get
the laptop to recognise a signal from the wireless router.Isays to make sure
the wireless is switched on in the laptop (???). It is as if it is not even
there.
It is probably something very simple and obvious but hey i can't get it to
work. i have gone thro all the wizards with no joy.
if some one could help that would be great.
May 11, 2005 8:21:26 PM

dave allan wrote:

> I have a new laptop with a centino processor. It connects to my
> broadband no problem with the cable to modem/router(voyager 2100).
> However i cannot get the laptop to recognise a signal from the
> wireless router.Isays to make sure the wireless is switched on in the
> laptop (???). It is as if it is not even there.
> It is probably something very simple and obvious but hey i can't get
> it to work. i have gone thro all the wizards with no joy.
> if some one could help that would be great.

Newer laptops have a switch or button or key combo (FN + some key) to
turn on/off the wireless. Look carefully at your laptop to find that
switch or button and turn it on. Read the manual.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I also had a similar problem with wireless card in an IBM thinkpad. I
originally thought the wireless was defective but after replacing the card
found an OEM driver update from IBM resolved the issue in the end. IBM has
proprietary drivers for the laptop (similar to Ms Windows update) which
enabled a feature for the wireless Radio signal.
May be worth a try on the Vendor website to check for all updates for your
model laptop.

"Malke" wrote:

> dave allan wrote:
>
> > I have a new laptop with a centino processor. It connects to my
> > broadband no problem with the cable to modem/router(voyager 2100).
> > However i cannot get the laptop to recognise a signal from the
> > wireless router.Isays to make sure the wireless is switched on in the
> > laptop (???). It is as if it is not even there.
> > It is probably something very simple and obvious but hey i can't get
> > it to work. i have gone thro all the wizards with no joy.
> > if some one could help that would be great.
>
> Newer laptops have a switch or button or key combo (FN + some key) to
> turn on/off the wireless. Look carefully at your laptop to find that
> switch or button and turn it on. Read the manual.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2005 1:20:12 PM

well i have got the laptop to recognise the router now, great. However it
shows that i am connected and it is to my isp. It will not let me browse the
net. i have had a wander around the settings but do not want to alter
something that i basically have no idea what may happen.
It says the usual thing such as check your connection. Anyone able to tell
me how to get the laptop to use this new connection and to let me browse the
net.

"Jeff" wrote:

> I also had a similar problem with wireless card in an IBM thinkpad. I
> originally thought the wireless was defective but after replacing the card
> found an OEM driver update from IBM resolved the issue in the end. IBM has
> proprietary drivers for the laptop (similar to Ms Windows update) which
> enabled a feature for the wireless Radio signal.
> May be worth a try on the Vendor website to check for all updates for your
> model laptop.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > dave allan wrote:
> >
> > > I have a new laptop with a centino processor. It connects to my
> > > broadband no problem with the cable to modem/router(voyager 2100).
> > > However i cannot get the laptop to recognise a signal from the
> > > wireless router.Isays to make sure the wireless is switched on in the
> > > laptop (???). It is as if it is not even there.
> > > It is probably something very simple and obvious but hey i can't get
> > > it to work. i have gone thro all the wizards with no joy.
> > > if some one could help that would be great.
> >
> > Newer laptops have a switch or button or key combo (FN + some key) to
> > turn on/off the wireless. Look carefully at your laptop to find that
> > switch or button and turn it on. Read the manual.
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

May 13, 2005 9:39:42 AM

dave allan wrote:

> well i have got the laptop to recognise the router now, great. However
> it shows that i am connected and it is to my isp. It will not let me
> browse the net. i have had a wander around the settings but do not
> want to alter something that i basically have no idea what may happen.
> It says the usual thing such as check your connection. Anyone able to
> tell me how to get the laptop to use this new connection and to let me
> browse the net.

It sounds from here that you haven't got the connection set up properly
in terms of encryption, etc. Here are links to help you:

Wireless - Basic Configuration -
Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

Malke