Fast ram & cpu - bios advice needed please!

Hello everyone, here's the system specs:

- mobo asus A7VN8X-E deluxe rev1.01 bios 1011(current)
- cpu XP3200+ Barton 512
- mem Corsair XMS Kit 1024MB PC3200 (TWINX1024-3200XL)2-2-2-5 / up to
500mHz
- ati radeon 9800 pro td 128
- hitachi 160gb sata hd
- water cooled cpu & gpu (idle: 42°C, load:50°C)

The above is the system i've built. sadly i have almost no knowledge
of overclocking and system optimisation - as a result of trying to
tune this rig for the past weeks, i've spent rebooting and erasing
cmos seetings to regain access to the bios. the only setup i can the
system to run is on default values, thus wasting it's potential.

I dont know how to set the bios for the rams possibilites of 2-2-2-5,
as i'm not sure of what goes where. also running in dual channle mode,
the rams clock will be 200mHz. supposedly the ram supports 400Mhz and
may be oc'ed to 500mHz?!?

Every piece of information is greatly apreciated, as Ive spent a lot
of time on this rig, and want to get down to some serious gaming now -
(just got joint ops ya konw ;) )

thanx in advance,

Andy

Andy R. wrote:
> Hello everyone, here's the system specs:
>
> - mobo asus A7VN8X-E deluxe rev1.01 bios 1011(current)
> - cpu XP3200+ Barton 512
> - mem Corsair XMS Kit 1024MB PC3200 (TWINX1024-3200XL)2-2-2-5 / up to
> 500mHz
> - ati radeon 9800 pro td 128
> - hitachi 160gb sata hd
> - water cooled cpu & gpu (idle: 42°C, load:50°C)
>
> The above is the system i've built. sadly i have almost no knowledge
> of overclocking and system optimisation - as a result of trying to
> tune this rig for the past weeks, i've spent rebooting and erasing
> cmos seetings to regain access to the bios. the only setup i can the
> system to run is on default values, thus wasting it's potential.
>
> I dont know how to set the bios for the rams possibilites of 2-2-2-5,
> as i'm not sure of what goes where. also running in dual channle mode,
> the rams clock will be 200mHz. supposedly the ram supports 400Mhz and
> may be oc'ed to 500mHz?!?
>
> Every piece of information is greatly apreciated, as Ive spent a lot
> of time on this rig, and want to get down to some serious gaming now -
> (just got joint ops ya konw ;) )
>
> thanx in advance,
>
> Andy

First, the FSB and memory buss should be the same frequency; 200 MHz.
That is the default FSB for that CPU. 400 MHz is the *data* transfer
speed (DDR: Dual Data Rate memory). The chipset is able to read and
write data on the rising and falling edge of the square wave clock
signal.
Since the 3200+'s default FSB is 200 MHz, you don't have much room to
overclock. PC3200 memory runs at 200 MHz. You may be able to get it a
bit higher, but you may have to increase the Vdimm (memory) voltage for
it to run at more than 200 MHz, and also relax the timing. Since the
CPU multiplier is locked, increasing the FSB is the only way to
overclock.
This link is to a great BIOS optimization guide. It would be good for
you to read through all the settings that are relevant to your BIOS.
The third section covers the memory subsystem. It will explain what the
setting do and give advice on how to set them.
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9

Ok... edge of the squarewave? *g*
Thanx for your reply. I think I understood the essence of your posting
and gladly will read the nfos @ your link!

cheers, andy