Any difference between a "fan" and a "case fan"?

A follow on question to my Panasonic fans question.

One web site has Panasonic Fans and Panasonic Case Fans, same sizes,
etc. What is the difference? Why?

If a given heat sink can accept an 80 or even a 92 mm fan, can't I use
a "case fan," as long as I can power that fan?

o There is no difference between the fans themselves
---- although a seller may make some re application
---- for example 172mm wouldn't suit a CPU (please don't go there)
o There may be a difference on the connectors provided
---- motherboard fans use 3-pin connectors
---- case fans can use same, or 4-pin Molex (PSU) connectors

Sometimes fans are listed under different titles for search reasons:
o On Ebay you are limited in the title description
o However the fan may be used in Case, PSU, ATX, CPU applications
o So people simply list the same fan under the same titles

It's a bit like listing a P4 CPU under P4 PIV Skt478 Pentium 4 etc.

Always check your spelling on Ebay adverts:
o If you spell incorrectly, people may not find your item
---- some people use text searches, and not by categories
o So you may not get the higher price you would have got
---- buyers know this and trawl the categories near auction-end-times

Panel mount fans are something different, you could call a panasonic
FBL such a fan as they only mount on the exhaust side - no lugs on
the other side like an FBA or most other fans out there. Reason is
they use a slotted housing to reduce tip-stall when fitted in a case,
so boosting airflow a little whilst simultaneously reducing noise a bit.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:41:32 GMT, "Dorothy Bradbury"
<dorothy.bradbury@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>---- for example 172mm wouldn't suit a CPU (please don't go there)

But then there's 120mm. I just saw the new Thermalright monster cpu
heatsink with 5 heatpipes and supporting a 120x38 mm cpu fan.

$49, expensive, but they give you a lot more than the one I bought a
couple of months ago for $43.

LOL the worst part of buying a new system is all the better stuff
three months later ;)

Yeah, this one will cool your ram pretty good.