Where to buy in NY/NJ/Newark?

All,

I'm visiting a friend in the States in a couple of weeks. In return for
"room and board" I've told him that I'll give his computers a "once-over".
I'm sure that he'll have no idea of any good local PC parts suppliers.

So are there any good (and cheap) large(ish) retail chains to look out for -
and any to avoid? Mail order is not going to be viable. I'm not planning
"major surgery" - just routine stuff, might need extra cables, leads, RAM,
perhaps even swap-out a CD-RW for a DVD-RW....

Thanks.

Pete

Immuno wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm visiting a friend in the States in a couple of weeks. In return
> for "room and board" I've told him that I'll give his computers a
> "once-over". I'm sure that he'll have no idea of any good local PC
> parts suppliers.
>
> So are there any good (and cheap) large(ish) retail chains to look
> out for - and any to avoid? Mail order is not going to be viable. I'm
> not planning "major surgery" - just routine stuff, might need extra
> cables, leads, RAM, perhaps even swap-out a CD-RW for a DVD-RW....

I believe www.newegg.com has a warehouse in NJ. www.zipzoomfly.com would be
another good choice.

Circuit City or Best Buy.Not the cheapest but convenient.

>> I'm visiting a friend in the States in a couple of weeks. In return
>> for "room and board" I've told him that I'll give his computers a
>> "once-over". I'm sure that he'll have no idea of any good local PC
>> parts suppliers.

For PC parts/components the best place I've seen in the NY metro area
is Microcenter, in Westbury LI. Better than Compusa, which is in
second place for the chains. You can find some local places, but they
won't be any better.

I'm fantisizing about Fry's opening a store out here, but that's just
a dream. I wandered into the one in Las Vegas last year, and thought
I died and went to nerd heaven.

On 28 Jul 2004 09:48:30 -0700, mwolffs@yahoo.com (MikeW) wrote:

>For PC parts/components the best place I've seen in the NY metro area
>is Microcenter, in Westbury LI. Better than Compusa, which is in
>second place for the chains. You can find some local places, but they
>won't be any better.
>
>I'm fantisizing about Fry's opening a store out here, but that's just
>a dream. I wandered into the one in Las Vegas last year, and thought
>I died and went to nerd heaven.

Yeah, until you tried to return something you bought. Perhaps even an
item that had been re-shrink-wrapped but the contents of the box were
not what you thought you were buying. Stuff either missing,
instruction sheet all marked up, or perhaps cheap "nothing" board
replacing an expensive SCSI controller or sound card. [speaking from
experience here]

If Dante wrote about the Nine Circles of Hell, the Tenth Circle of
Hell is customer service at Frys.

--from a guy who shopped at Frys in 1985 at their original store in
Sunnyvale, CA [since replaced]

>"Immuno" <immunodevice@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<cdrcma$nj8$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
>> All,
>>
>> I'm visiting a friend in the States in a couple of weeks. In return for
>> "room and board" I've told him that I'll give his computers a "once-over".
>> I'm sure that he'll have no idea of any good local PC parts suppliers.
>>
>> So are there any good (and cheap) large(ish) retail chains to look out for -
>> and any to avoid? Mail order is not going to be viable. I'm not planning
>> "major surgery" - just routine stuff, might need extra cables, leads, RAM,
>> perhaps even swap-out a CD-RW for a DVD-RW....
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Pete

Try stores in the CompUSA stores. They will have 'loss leader' bargains
that include hard drives, all types of removable media drives, and memory.
There will be a large selection of cables, as well as screws, cases and
power supplies. Try http://www.compusa.com for a look at prices. I am sure
there are better bargains to be had on line, but there will be a
conveniently close CompUSA in almost any urban area and thus returns will be
quickly handled. As an example of prices, an Hitachi Deskstar 200 GByte
7200 rpm ATA Ultra hard drive is $79.99 US (well, it is actually $179.99
less a $20.00 US rebate at check-out and another $80.00 US rebate by mail)
and a Hi-Value DVD +/- R/RW 4X is $79.00 US (no rebates.)
--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Immuno" <immunodevice@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I'm visiting a friend in the States in a couple of weeks. In return for
> "room and board" I've told him that I'll give his computers a "once-over".
> I'm sure that he'll have no idea of any good local PC parts suppliers.
>
> So are there any good (and cheap) large(ish) retail chains to look out
for -
> and any to avoid? Mail order is not going to be viable. I'm not planning
> "major surgery" - just routine stuff, might need extra cables, leads, RAM,
> perhaps even swap-out a CD-RW for a DVD-RW....
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pete

Just buy from NEWEGG.COM and don't worry about any BS. Everytime I
mailorder from the Northeast, I have problems.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message news:<cqsfg0lmhndg1j8lf68unu6kf35hcujua7@4ax.com>...
> On 28 Jul 2004 09:48:30 -0700, mwolffs@yahoo.com (MikeW) wrote:
>
> >For PC parts/components the best place I've seen in the NY metro area
> >is Microcenter, in Westbury LI. Better than Compusa, which is in
> >second place for the chains. You can find some local places, but they
> >won't be any better.
> >
> >I'm fantisizing about Fry's opening a store out here, but that's just
> >a dream. I wandered into the one in Las Vegas last year, and thought
> >I died and went to nerd heaven.
>
> Yeah, until you tried to return something you bought. Perhaps even an
> item that had been re-shrink-wrapped but the contents of the box were
> not what you thought you were buying. Stuff either missing,
> instruction sheet all marked up, or perhaps cheap "nothing" board
> replacing an expensive SCSI controller or sound card. [speaking from
> experience here]
>
> If Dante wrote about the Nine Circles of Hell, the Tenth Circle of
> Hell is customer service at Frys.
>
> --from a guy who shopped at Frys in 1985 at their original store in
> Sunnyvale, CA [since replaced]

I'll second the return policy. Lines are long and you are grilled
about why you are returning it. Home Depot is much better about
returns/exchanges.

I've shopped as well at the original Sunnyvale Fry's. It was a quaint
little store that was anal about people even taking pictures of the
outside of it. It closed like 10 years ago and just moved down the
street 1/4 mile. Bigger and better, I guess.

> >"Immuno" <immunodevice@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<cdrcma$nj8$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'm visiting a friend in the States in a couple of weeks. In return for
> >> "room and board" I've told him that I'll give his computers a "once-over".
> >> I'm sure that he'll have no idea of any good local PC parts suppliers.
> >>
> >> So are there any good (and cheap) large(ish) retail chains to look out for -
> >> and any to avoid? Mail order is not going to be viable. I'm not planning
> >> "major surgery" - just routine stuff, might need extra cables, leads, RAM,
> >> perhaps even swap-out a CD-RW for a DVD-RW....
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Pete

The original poster asked about walk-in, and did not want online nor mail
order.

--

"Herr Pie" <a@a.a> wrote in message
> Just buy from NEWEGG.COM and don't worry about any BS. Everytime I
> mailorder from the Northeast, I have problems.

Recently got back.

Thanks, ..... CompUSA it was! There was one about 10 minutes drive from
where I was staying. Got what I needed. Part of the mission was also to
educate my friend NOT to be seduced by pretty packaging etc. etc....

Pete