Unable to Run My New Memory at Rated Speed

I just bought two sticks, 512 MB each of PC3200 Corsair Value Select memory
and have ot been able to get them to run at 200 MHz.

My system is a P4-1.8A on an Asus P4S533. The DIMMS are installed in slots
1 and 3. Both DIMMS have the same LOT number but the part numbers on the
chips themselves vary.

Normally I run this at 2.79 GHz but I dropped the FSB to both 100 MHz and
133 MHz and set the memory ratio to produce 200 MHz in each case for
testing. The memory timing was set for SPD.

The only way I could get the memory to run at 200 MHz was to remove one DIMM
and hold the FSB to 100 MHz.

The system is stable with both DIMMs installed, the FSB at 155 MHz, memory
at 193.8 Mhz and timing at 2.5-4-4-7..

Is the degraded performance to be expected when more than DIMM is installed?

Did I make a mistake by not buying these as a "kit" which implies matched
pairs?

Thank you for insights you might have into this situation.

Mike
1 answer Last reply
More about unable memory rated speed

    Does the system favor one stick at the rated speed over the other? Do they
    got the same speed rates like 2-3-3-6? If the dont, try tuning them to the
    more modest speed, the slower of the two. Or possible its a proboblem with
    your MotherBoard, check to see what it supports on there webpage, and maybe
    get a BIOS update from them, could fix it. Good luck

    "JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I just bought two sticks, 512 MB each of PC3200 Corsair Value Select
    memory
    > and have ot been able to get them to run at 200 MHz.
    >
    > My system is a P4-1.8A on an Asus P4S533. The DIMMS are installed in
    slots
    > 1 and 3. Both DIMMS have the same LOT number but the part numbers on the
    > chips themselves vary.
    >
    > Normally I run this at 2.79 GHz but I dropped the FSB to both 100 MHz and
    > 133 MHz and set the memory ratio to produce 200 MHz in each case for
    > testing. The memory timing was set for SPD.
    >
    > The only way I could get the memory to run at 200 MHz was to remove one
    DIMM
    > and hold the FSB to 100 MHz.
    >
    > The system is stable with both DIMMs installed, the FSB at 155 MHz,
    memory
    > at 193.8 Mhz and timing at 2.5-4-4-7..
    >

    > Is the degraded performance to be expected when more than DIMM is
    installed?

    > Did I make a mistake by not buying these as a "kit" which implies matched
    > pairs?
    >
    > Thank you for insights you might have into this situation.
    >
    > Mike

Overclocking Memory