AMD 2800+ motherboard

LowLight

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002

Hi i'm planning of buying barton 2800+ and i was wondering wich of this
boards is best for overclocking

Soltek 75FRN2-L
Abit NF7
Gigabyte 7N400L

or something else... i had experience with soltek and couldn't get it to fsb
200 with 2500+

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

LowLight <branimir@acer.hr> wrote:
> Hi i'm planning of buying barton 2800+ and i was wondering wich of
> this boards is best for overclocking

Since you want to overclock can we backup a bit? Barton 2800 isn't the best
starting point if you want to overclock, it runs 12.5 x 166, a Barton 2500
would be better IMO, it runs 11 x 166.
The easiest overclock is to run the 2500 at 11 x 200, almost all 2500's do
this speed with a small increase in vcore, if you have a good mobo and good
quality memory.

> Soltek 75FRN2-L
> Abit NF7
> Gigabyte 7N400L
>
> or something else... i had experience with soltek and couldn't get it
> to fsb 200 with 2500+

If you've still got the 2500 keep it, go for an Abit NF7-S v2.0 / Asus A7N8X
and a couple of sticks of PC3200 or higher memory, look at the mobo
manufacturers sites to ensure the mem you choose is compatible. What psu is
in there?

Main things for easy overclocking;
1) Good quality psu.
2) Good quality memory.
3) Mobo that is known for good overclockability (DFI makes an excellent
overclocking board, as well as the two I mentioned, although I've never used
them).
4) Good case ventilation and a good HSF.
5) CPU, this was my upgrade path over the last couple of years;
2002 XP2700/A7N8X just about managed 2200MHz
2003 XP2500/NF7-S v2.0 2500MHz (on air)
2004 Mobile XP2400/NF7-S v2.0 2600MHz (on water), will do 2700MHz

I've gone with slower and slower cpu's and got better overclocks, pick your
cpu and other components with care and your o/c will be easy, do lots of
googleing/reading.

HTH

--
Apollo

LowLight

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002

does that mean that if i took 2800 and put the fsb200 it woldn't work or
what?

"Apollo" <REMOVEMEian_dunbar6@hotmailDOT.com> wrote in message
> LowLight <branimir@acer.hr> wrote:
> > Hi i'm planning of buying barton 2800+ and i was wondering wich of
> > this boards is best for overclocking
> >

> Since you want to overclock can we backup a bit? Barton 2800 isn't the
best
> starting point if you want to overclock, it runs 12.5 x 166, a Barton 2500
> would be better IMO, it runs 11 x 166.
> The easiest overclock is to run the 2500 at 11 x 200, almost all 2500's do
> this speed with a small increase in vcore, if you have a good mobo and
good
> quality memory.
>

> > Soltek 75FRN2-L
> > Abit NF7
> > Gigabyte 7N400L
> >
> > or something else... i had experience with soltek and couldn't get it
> > to fsb 200 with 2500+
>
> If you've still got the 2500 keep it, go for an Abit NF7-S v2.0 / Asus
A7N8X
> and a couple of sticks of PC3200 or higher memory, look at the mobo
> manufacturers sites to ensure the mem you choose is compatible. What psu
is
> in there?
>
> Main things for easy overclocking;
> 1) Good quality psu.
> 2) Good quality memory.
> 3) Mobo that is known for good overclockability (DFI makes an excellent
> overclocking board, as well as the two I mentioned, although I've never
used
> them).
> 4) Good case ventilation and a good HSF.
> 5) CPU, this was my upgrade path over the last couple of years;
> 2002 XP2700/A7N8X just about managed 2200MHz
> 2003 XP2500/NF7-S v2.0 2500MHz (on air)
> 2004 Mobile XP2400/NF7-S v2.0 2600MHz (on water), will do 2700MHz
>
> I've gone with slower and slower cpu's and got better overclocks, pick
your
> cpu and other components with care and your o/c will be easy, do lots of
> googleing/reading.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Apollo

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

LowLight <vortex@tipdana.com> wrote:
> does that mean that if i took 2800 and put the fsb200 it woldn't work
> or what?

It probably won't run / be stable at 12.5 x 200, although it might run with
high core voltage and exceptional cooling as misfit said.
The multiplier is locked and you want the fsb as high as possible, so a 2500
(multi = 11) will quite easily reach 11 x 200 - 2200MHz (XP3200 speed), and
even higher fsb with the right memory and mobo.

You could run the 2800 at say 12.5 x 176 for the same MHz, but you will
loose some performance from running with the lowered fsb.

HTH

--
Apollo

LowLight

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002

Yeah i did... i put it 1.8V
But it's not tre proc. or mbo problem i think it's memory(i tried it with
twin mos and V-data both PC-3200) and to my suprise V-data runs beter i mean
i got it to run smoothly at 190FSb.

LowLight wrote:
> does that mean that if i took 2800 and put the fsb200 it woldn't work
> or what?

That's basically what he's telling you. Oh, it might work if you raise the
vcore up to or beyond 1.95v and use liquid or phase-chnage cooling. I
wouldn't bet on it though.
--
~misfit~

> "Apollo" <REMOVEMEian_dunbar6@hotmailDOT.com> wrote in message
>> LowLight <branimir@acer.hr> wrote:
>>> Hi i'm planning of buying barton 2800+ and i was wondering wich of
>>> this boards is best for overclocking
>>>

>> Since you want to overclock can we backup a bit? Barton 2800 isn't
>> the best starting point if you want to overclock, it runs 12.5 x
>> 166, a Barton 2500 would be better IMO, it runs 11 x 166.
>> The easiest overclock is to run the 2500 at 11 x 200, almost all
>> 2500's do this speed with a small increase in vcore, if you have a
>> good mobo and good quality memory.
>>

>>> Soltek 75FRN2-L
>>> Abit NF7
>>> Gigabyte 7N400L
>>>
>>> or something else... i had experience with soltek and couldn't get
>>> it to fsb 200 with 2500+
>>
>> If you've still got the 2500 keep it, go for an Abit NF7-S v2.0 /
>> Asus A7N8X and a couple of sticks of PC3200 or higher memory, look
>> at the mobo manufacturers sites to ensure the mem you choose is
>> compatible. What psu is in there?
>>
>> Main things for easy overclocking;
>> 1) Good quality psu.
>> 2) Good quality memory.
>> 3) Mobo that is known for good overclockability (DFI makes an
>> excellent overclocking board, as well as the two I mentioned,
>> although I've never used them).
>> 4) Good case ventilation and a good HSF.
>> 5) CPU, this was my upgrade path over the last couple of years;
>> 2002 XP2700/A7N8X just about managed 2200MHz
>> 2003 XP2500/NF7-S v2.0 2500MHz (on air)
>> 2004 Mobile XP2400/NF7-S v2.0 2600MHz (on water), will do 2700MHz
>>
>> I've gone with slower and slower cpu's and got better overclocks,
>> pick your cpu and other components with care and your o/c will be
>> easy, do lots of googleing/reading.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Apollo

LowLight

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002

Btw anybody got some experience with kingmax SuperRam PC3500 433Mhz??

> LowLight wrote:
> > Yeah i did... i put it 1.8V
>
> It shouldn't need to be that high.
>
> > But it's not tre proc. or mbo problem i think it's memory(i tried it
>
> Did you test it to see if it was memory? Any overclocker worth the name
has
> a Memtest86 bootdisk that they can use in instances like that to isolate
> memory problems.
>
> > with twin mos and V-data both PC-3200) and to my suprise V-data runs
>
> I used Twin-Mos PC3200 mainly and had no trouble reaching 200Mhz (and
above)
> on the SL-75FRN2-L
>
> > beter i mean i got it to run smoothly at 190FSb.
>
> Well that's no bloody good is it? I mean, it's PC3200, rated for 200Mhz.
>
> You should have realised two things by now. Firstly the XP2500+ is the
best
> Barton to buy if you're an overclocker, and secondly, maybe your technique
> is a little off. No offence intended, it's just that your first post
asking
> about mobos as well is a bit moot if you couldn't get that 2500 past 190
> using 1.8vcore and two different lots of RAM on an SL-75FRN2-L. I've
*never*
> had a problem getting an SL-75FRN2-L/XP2500+ combo to 200Mhz FSB with
vcores
> a lot lower than 1.8v.
>
> Good luck, IMO you already had your hands on one of the best
> value-for-money/overclocking systems available.
> --
> ~misfit~
>
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote in message

> >> I have set up four XP2500+ Bartons on that exact same Soltek and had
> >> absolutely no trouble whatsoever getting them all to run on a 200Mhz
> >> FSB. Excellent boards IMO. There's one siting next to me running a
> >> 2500 at 2.2Ghz that has been running 24/7 at 100% CPU load for
> >> months. Did you raise the vcore a little? A very few 2500's don't
> >> need a vcore increase but most do, usually not much.
> >> --
> >> ~misfit~

LowLight

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002

Or with Kingmax hardcore

"LowLight" <branimir@acer.hr> wrote in message
> Btw anybody got some experience with kingmax SuperRam PC3500 433Mhz??
>

> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote in message
> > LowLight wrote:
> > > Yeah i did... i put it 1.8V
> >
> > It shouldn't need to be that high.
> >
> > > But it's not tre proc. or mbo problem i think it's memory(i tried it
> >
> > Did you test it to see if it was memory? Any overclocker worth the name
> has
> > a Memtest86 bootdisk that they can use in instances like that to isolate
> > memory problems.
> >
> > > with twin mos and V-data both PC-3200) and to my suprise V-data runs
> >
> > I used Twin-Mos PC3200 mainly and had no trouble reaching 200Mhz (and
> above)
> > on the SL-75FRN2-L
> >
> > > beter i mean i got it to run smoothly at 190FSb.
> >
> > Well that's no bloody good is it? I mean, it's PC3200, rated for 200Mhz.
> >
> > You should have realised two things by now. Firstly the XP2500+ is the
> best
> > Barton to buy if you're an overclocker, and secondly, maybe your
technique
> > is a little off. No offence intended, it's just that your first post
> asking
> > about mobos as well is a bit moot if you couldn't get that 2500 past 190
> > using 1.8vcore and two different lots of RAM on an SL-75FRN2-L. I've
> *never*
> > had a problem getting an SL-75FRN2-L/XP2500+ combo to 200Mhz FSB with
> vcores
> > a lot lower than 1.8v.
> >
> > Good luck, IMO you already had your hands on one of the best
> > value-for-money/overclocking systems available.
> > --
> > ~misfit~
> >
> > > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote in message

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

LowLight <branimir@acer.hr> wrote:
> Or with Kingmax hardcore

I've been reading a few good reviews on the Kingmax HardCore DDR500, it's a
good job I can't find it in stock in the UK, or I'd prob get some to try.
I'm finding it harder and harder to justify spending that much cash to get a
few more MHz.

Looks like damn fine memory though.

--
Ian