Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2004 7:42:16 PM

OK, I've got this computer that's pretty old, and, to tell you the truth, I
don't have enough cash to buy myself a better one, so I decided to overclock
it in order to increase it "functionality".
But there's a problem. I don't know how :)
I've heard my friends did it, but on a diferrent computers (new, better and
faster ones). I looked everywhere on the Internet, but couldn't find any
information of how it's exactly done (because I hace pretty old hardware).
I downloaded the latest drivers for my mainboard and video card. Now' I want
to know how to upgrade my BIOS version, how to overclock my video card and
processor or any other hardware I have. What kind of software do I need to
have? Do I need to buy some sort of a cooler, since the hardware is getting
warmer?
I gathered some information (using SiSoft Sandra 2001 SE) about the computer
and here they are:
Mainboard > Elitegroup (ECS), P6VAP-ME Ver 1.2b
Processor > Intel Clelron @ 633 MHz
System Bios > Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG
System Chipset > Elitegroup Computer Sys VT82C691/693A/694X Apollo
Pro(133/133A System Controller
Installed Memory > PC-133, 192 MB SDRAM (64 + 128)
Adapter > SiS 300/305, 32 MB SDRAM
Windows System > Win 98 Ver 4.10.222 A
DOS Sub-System > MS-DOS Ver 7.10 A

Well I hope you'll find some time to help me, since this is a complex
procedure (at least I think so).
Any help will be appriciated.

More about : needed

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2004 9:53:42 PM

"Zlatko Mesar" <zlatko.mesar@sk.htnet.hr> wrote in message

" Any help will be appriciated. "

You say that you don't have enough money to buy a new computer, but there
are some relatively cheap options available to you before you go the
overclocking route.

You could get a better CPU from www.ebay.com , and also sell your old one on
there. You are running BIOS v1.2b, so it would seem you have a P6VAP-ME
V1.1A. This can support all 133Mhz FC-PGA Pentium III CPUs, as long as you
flash to BIOS v1.5d. A Tualatin FG-PGA to FC-PGA2 adaptor would work with
your motherboard, and that could also be an option. Even without that, you
can get a 1Ghz+ Pentium III for a reasonable price.

ECS Pentium III Support List: http://snipurl.com/84tp
P6VAP-Me BIOS Updates: http://snipurl.com/84to
CPU History: http://snipurl.com/84tx
Microsoft Windows 98 Updates: http://snipurl.com/o6f
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2004 3:58:21 AM

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message

> P6VAP-Me BIOS Updates: http://snipurl.com/84to

Could you just point out how am I exactly going to do that? I read somewhere
that I need to do a backup. If yes, how? I've never done this, so I'm asking
if you can help me out a bit. I don't want to screw something up.
Also, it says in P6VAP-Me User's Guide that the mainboard supports a
processor up to 700 MHz. Is it possible to have a better processor (like the
one you mentioned) on that mainboard? Also, what kind of a mainboard can I
buy, so I could put all the components I have on the old one?
What I meant to do was downloading all the updates and new versions of
drivers and stuff, and to see if it's going to get "any" better. At least a
bit. And it did...for now. I downloaded new drivers for the mainboard and
video card. And if it didn't get any better then I'd start overclocking or
even buying some new peice of hardware.
Anyhow, thanks for the help.
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2004 7:27:49 AM

" Could you just point out how am I exactly going to do that? I read
somewhere that I need to do a backup. If yes, how? I've never done this, so
I'm asking if you can help me out a bit. I don't want to screw something up.
Also, it says in P6VAP-Me User's Guide that the mainboard supports a
processor up to 700 MHz. Is it possible to have a better processor (like the
one you mentioned) on that mainboard? Also, what kind of a mainboard can I
buy, so I could put all the components I have on the old one? "

If you have the original Windows 98 CD and license key, then a motherboard /
CPU / RAM upgrade can 'easily' be done. You would need to make backups of
any files you wish to keep, as you would need to reinstall Windows 98 again.
However, if you have an OEM installation of Windows 98 (without original
CD), and you do not have the option to reinstall from scratch, then the best
you can hope for is to upgrade your CPU (after BIOS upgrade), RAM, and
graphics card.

The user's guide for the P6VAP-Me would state the highest supported CPU at
the time of release. If you look at the 'CPU History' link, it shows that
the Socket 370 FC-PGA Pentium III stretches further than 700Mhz, up to
1133Mhz. The 'ECS Pentium III Support List' link shows that, from BIOS 1.5b
onwards, the P6VAP-Me supports the 133Mhz (FSB) FC-PGA Pentium III range.

Further than that, you can use a Socket 370 Tualatin Adaptor (
http://snipurl.com/856s ), with the potential to use a Tualatin Pentium III
1400Mhz CPU. A Tualatin CPU will be a little more expensive, and you will
need to make sure that you have room for the adaptor inside your case.

As for RAM, you might start with the small upgrade to 1x256MB PC133 SDRAM,
and then adding another identical 256MB stick when you have the money.
Windows 98 won't see many benefits from more than 512MB.

As for your video card, an SIS 300/305 isn't the fastest on the market, and
I wouldn't know where to start with overclocking it. I know that the
P6VAP-Me has an AGP4x slot, so there is a lot of upgrade potential for a new
card. You should not look at anything better than a GeForce4 Ti or an ATI
8500/9100, as anything better would more than likely be overkill. There are
so many different cards to choose from, that I suggest you look at the
following comparisons, particularly the first two:

THG VGA Charts I: http://snipurl.com/857n
THG VGA Charts II - Mainstream Systems: http://snipurl.com/857k
THG VGA Charts II - High-End Systems: http://snipurl.com/857l
THG VGA Charts III: http://snipurl.com/857m

As for the BIOS update, you should download v1.5d from
http://snipurl.com/84to . You will then need to read the instructions to
flash an Award BIOS at http://snipurl.com/35h3 .
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2004 2:39:16 PM

> If you have the original Windows 98 CD and license key, then a motherboard
/
> CPU / RAM upgrade can 'easily' be done. You would need to make backups of
> any files you wish to keep, as you would need to reinstall Windows 98
again.
> However, if you have an OEM installation of Windows 98 (without original
> CD), and you do not have the option to reinstall from scratch, then the
best
> you can hope for is to upgrade your CPU (after BIOS upgrade), RAM, and
> graphics card.
>
> The user's guide for the P6VAP-Me would state the highest supported CPU at
> the time of release. If you look at the 'CPU History' link, it shows that
> the Socket 370 FC-PGA Pentium III stretches further than 700Mhz, up to
> 1133Mhz. The 'ECS Pentium III Support List' link shows that, from BIOS
1.5b
> onwards, the P6VAP-Me supports the 133Mhz (FSB) FC-PGA Pentium III range.
>
> Further than that, you can use a Socket 370 Tualatin Adaptor (
> http://snipurl.com/856s ), with the potential to use a Tualatin Pentium
III
> 1400Mhz CPU. A Tualatin CPU will be a little more expensive, and you will
> need to make sure that you have room for the adaptor inside your case.
>
> As for RAM, you might start with the small upgrade to 1x256MB PC133 SDRAM,
> and then adding another identical 256MB stick when you have the money.
> Windows 98 won't see many benefits from more than 512MB.
>
> As for your video card, an SIS 300/305 isn't the fastest on the market,
and
> I wouldn't know where to start with overclocking it. I know that the
> P6VAP-Me has an AGP4x slot, so there is a lot of upgrade potential for a
new
> card. You should not look at anything better than a GeForce4 Ti or an ATI
> 8500/9100, as anything better would more than likely be overkill. There
are
> so many different cards to choose from, that I suggest you look at the
> following comparisons, particularly the first two:
>
> THG VGA Charts I: http://snipurl.com/857n
> THG VGA Charts II - Mainstream Systems: http://snipurl.com/857k
> THG VGA Charts II - High-End Systems: http://snipurl.com/857l
> THG VGA Charts III: http://snipurl.com/857m
>
> As for the BIOS update, you should download v1.5d from
> http://snipurl.com/84to . You will then need to read the instructions to
> flash an Award BIOS at http://snipurl.com/35h3 .

Hey, thanks a lot man, you were very helpful! My sisters boyfriend is going
to buy another card, so he said he'll give me the "old" one. It's some ATI
Radeon with 64 MB (DDR I think) and TV-out. Now would that one be OK (since
I'm not that much into hardware).
And, yeah, I do have the original Windows 98 CD... lucky me since it's
(almost) the only legal software I have :)
Well, perhaps I'll buy that Tualatin Pentium III you're talking about...
there goes the schoolarship I wanted to save for "black days" :)
As for the RAM, I was just about to buy 256 MB SDR, since the mainboard does
not support DDR, but then I heard about overclocking and BIOS and... you
know how it goes :)
Thanks again.