2500+ mobile and asus a7n8x-x boots up as 800mhz!!

bought mobile 2500+ cpu and asus a7n8x-x motherboard, and samsung
512mb ddr pc400 ram

and the board alreayd has lates bios as well

so i boot it up and its at 600mhz or 800mhz don't remember
so i went into bios and manually set it to 133x14

since its a 1833mhz so 14x133 =1862 so it should boot up at 1800 but
then it boots up as 800mhz

also, weird thing is when i was installing windows xp, it did the
intial formating of HD and the copying of setup files, then when it
goes into windows to install, it get stuck at the windows LOGO the one
where its a black screen with the colorful windows logo
it keeps on freezing there until i went into bios and changed system
performance and memory timings to AGGResSIVE MODE
weird!!

but i still can't get it to boot up to correct speed!

On a desktop board XP-M 2500+ CPU's default to a 6x multiplier (133 x 6 =
800MHz). I think the reason why you cant increase the multi is because the
A7N8X-X may not support '5th bit' multiplier control. In plain English this
means that if your CPU has a multiplier of 12.5x or bellow you will only be
able to adjust in the range up to 12.5x. If your CPU has a multi of 13x or
higher then you only be able to adjust from 13x and up.

Try setting the multi to 12 or 12.5x and see what it runs at then.... 12.5
is really high enough for a 200MHz FSB board (12.5 x 200 = 2500MHz)

"louisk" <yehai@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> bought mobile 2500+ cpu and asus a7n8x-x motherboard, and samsung
> 512mb ddr pc400 ram
>
> and the board alreayd has lates bios as well
>
> so i boot it up and its at 600mhz or 800mhz don't remember
> so i went into bios and manually set it to 133x14
>
> since its a 1833mhz so 14x133 =1862 so it should boot up at 1800 but
> then it boots up as 800mhz
>
> also, weird thing is when i was installing windows xp, it did the
> intial formating of HD and the copying of setup files, then when it
> goes into windows to install, it get stuck at the windows LOGO the one
> where its a black screen with the colorful windows logo
> it keeps on freezing there until i went into bios and changed system
> performance and memory timings to AGGResSIVE MODE
> weird!!
>
> but i still can't get it to boot up to correct speed!

been there, had that problem...was told I needed to use wire tricks, found a
better way.

Download CPU MSR and adjust the multi in windows after boot.

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Download.htm

My MSI KM2M still boots at 800mhz, which is fine for reading email surfing or
listening to music...couplea mouse clicks, I'm at 2000mhz.

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)

Ski wrote:

> been there, had that problem...was told I needed to use wire tricks, found a
> better way.
>
> Download CPU MSR and adjust the multi in windows after boot.
>
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Download.htm
>
> My MSI KM2M still boots at 800mhz, which is fine for reading email surfing or
> listening to music...couplea mouse clicks, I'm at 2000mhz.

Ah. I figured some one MUST have done that but didn't know that one was
there. Thanks.

I would imagine that means one could use a mobile on just about any socket
A board, then, since you could run it at the lower FSBs and just up the
multiplier with CPU MSR.

Anyone tried it on a K7S5A?

David Maynard wrote:
> Ski wrote:
>
>> been there, had that problem...was told I needed to use wire tricks,
>> found a better way.
>>
>> Download CPU MSR and adjust the multi in windows after boot.
>>
>> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Download.htm
>>
>> My MSI KM2M still boots at 800mhz, which is fine for reading email
>> surfing or listening to music...couplea mouse clicks, I'm at 2000mhz.
>
> Ah. I figured some one MUST have done that but didn't know that one
> was there. Thanks.
>
> I would imagine that means one could use a mobile on just about any
> socket A board, then, since you could run it at the lower FSBs and
> just up the multiplier with CPU MSR.

The only socket-A boards that have been found so far that it won't work on
are nForce boards. See the list of tested chipsets at
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm

> Anyone tried it on a K7S5A?

I would be surprised if it didn't work. The K7S5A is a SiS735 board, and
this chipset has been confirmed to do PowerNow transitions correctly.

--
Michael Brown

Michael Brown wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>>Ski wrote:
>>

>>>been there, had that problem...was told I needed to use wire tricks,
>>>found a better way.
>>>
>>>Download CPU MSR and adjust the multi in windows after boot.
>>>
>>>http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Download.htm
>>>
>>>My MSI KM2M still boots at 800mhz, which is fine for reading email
>>>surfing or listening to music...couplea mouse clicks, I'm at 2000mhz.
>>
>>Ah. I figured some one MUST have done that but didn't know that one
>>was there. Thanks.
>>
>>I would imagine that means one could use a mobile on just about any
>>socket A board, then, since you could run it at the lower FSBs and
>>just up the multiplier with CPU MSR.
>

> The only socket-A boards that have been found so far that it won't work on
> are nForce boards. See the list of tested chipsets at
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm

Interesting, but then most nforce boards wouldn't need it.

>>Anyone tried it on a K7S5A?
>

> I would be surprised if it didn't work. The K7S5A is a SiS735 board, and
> this chipset has been confirmed to do PowerNow transitions correctly.

I just might try it some day.