General Overclocking Questions

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2004 7:40:03 PM

Back in the day that I had a Celeron300A system, I overclocked to run at
566mhz simply by changing the FSB setting. (I believe it was from 66 to
100 if I recall correctly.....) Besides increasing the CPU voltage
slightly, the only other adjustment was some kind of setting for AGP
ratio to keep the vidcard running at 66, if I recall correctly.

Now, I have an Athlon XP2100 system with an Epox 8Kha+ motherboard. I
remember that when I first got this system, I played around with the FSB
setting, but could only get the system to work to about a FSB of 140.
Not much of an increase in speed, so I gave up. I'm not sure if that
was because of the PC2100 RAM that I had in it at the time, or whether
some other component(s) didn't like the increase.

I recently installed PC3200 RAM in this same Motherboard, so now I
wonder if I'd have more success at overclocking. I've found the
location in the BIOS to adjust the CPU voltage if necessary and to set
the FSB from anywhere between 133 and 200. However, I can't find where
to play with the AGP ratio. (Is that even necessary anymore)?

What would be the best way to attempt this overclock? The RAM is rated
for 200 FSB, so should I just set the system's FSB there and try it?
How would that affect the vidcard and other components?

My system has an Athlon XP2100 CPU, a Radeon 9700 Pro vidcard, and 2 WD
80 Gig Hard drives.

Any help with this would be appreciated!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2004 1:13:56 AM

~misfit~ wrote:

> > Back in the day that I had a Celeron300A system, I overclocked to run
> > at 566mhz simply by changing the FSB setting. (I believe it was from
> > 66 to 100 if I recall correctly.....) Besides increasing the CPU
> > voltage slightly, the only other adjustment was some kind of setting
> > for AGP ratio to keep the vidcard running at 66, if I recall
> > correctly.
> >
> > Now, I have an Athlon XP2100 system with an Epox 8Kha+ motherboard. I
> > remember that when I first got this system, I played around with the
> > FSB setting, but could only get the system to work to about a FSB of
> > 140. Not much of an increase in speed, so I gave up. I'm not sure if
> > that was because of the PC2100 RAM that I had in it at the time, or
> > whether some other component(s) didn't like the increase.
> >
> > I recently installed PC3200 RAM in this same Motherboard, so now I
> > wonder if I'd have more success at overclocking. I've found the
> > location in the BIOS to adjust the CPU voltage if necessary and to set
> > the FSB from anywhere between 133 and 200. However, I can't find
> > where to play with the AGP ratio. (Is that even necessary anymore)?
> >
> > What would be the best way to attempt this overclock? The RAM is
> > rated for 200 FSB, so should I just set the system's FSB there and
> > try it? How would that affect the vidcard and other components?
> >
> > My system has an Athlon XP2100 CPU, a Radeon 9700 Pro vidcard, and 2
> > WD 80 Gig Hard drives.
> >
> > Any help with this would be appreciated!
>
> First things first. What model is your CPU? When that board first came out
> the newest AMD CPU was the XP1800+ Palomino. If you have a Palomino forget
> overclocking, the results aren't going to be worth the effort. If you have a
> Tbred A you could get somewhere, a Tbred B will be worthwhile. The Tbreds
> are multiplier-unlocked, about the only way to overclock a board based on
> the KT266A chipset with any significant gain.
>
> The PC3200 RAM isn't going to make a huge difference. The highest PCI
> divider the KT266A chipset has is 1/4 so going much over 133Mhz FSB is going
> to upset everything that hangs off the PCI bus, including HDDs.
> --
> ~misfit~

It sounds to me like you're saying that the RAM isn't what's holding me back.
It's the hard drives that don't like to run off spec.

My CPU is definitely a Tbred (XP2100+) -- not sure anymore whether its an A or
B, but I'm pretty sure that its a B. AFAIK though, the multiplier is NOT
unlocked by default, at least not without doing some sort of mod to the CPU,
which I'm not comfortable doing. However, if I'm wrong about that, what
settings do you suggest I try? (The default is 13 multiplier x 133 FSB).

In fact, I have nothing against getting a different CPU whose multiplier IS
unlocked so that I can overclock it. (See my other thread about Mobile Athlon
CPU's.)

Thanks for the clarification about the PCI divider. Thats' what I was referring
to when I mistakenly talked about AGP.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2004 1:13:57 AM

BRH wrote:

> [...]
>>--
>>~misfit~
>

> It sounds to me like you're saying that the RAM isn't what's holding me back.
> It's the hard drives that don't like to run off spec.
>
> My CPU is definitely a Tbred (XP2100+) -- not sure anymore whether its an A or
> B, but I'm pretty sure that its a B. AFAIK though, the multiplier is NOT
> unlocked by default, at least not without doing some sort of mod to the CPU,
> which I'm not comfortable doing. However, if I'm wrong about that, what
> settings do you suggest I try? (The default is 13 multiplier x 133 FSB).
>
> In fact, I have nothing against getting a different CPU whose multiplier IS
> unlocked so that I can overclock it. (See my other thread about Mobile Athlon
> CPU's.)
>
> Thanks for the clarification about the PCI divider. Thats' what I was referring

Well, since you're willing to 'buy a new one' anyway that relieves some of
the pressure about trying things on the old one.

Check the CPU MSR page again, the tweaks section.

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier_FAQ/AXP_Mu...

It's possible that by modding the L5 bridge you could 'turn it into a
mobile' and use the CPU MSR program to change multipliers on the fly. It
would boot at it's normal speed and then CPU MSR could (automatically) set
it higher once up. the point is, no change to FSB so no different PCI
divider needed.

One can apparently do this with Palomino and Morgan cores too.
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2004 2:57:59 AM

~misfit~ wrote:

> If you do in fact have a Tbred then the multi *is* unlocked. However, I'm
> not that familiar with your board, but I think it only goes up to 15x.

That is correct. It tops out at 15, at least with the BIOS version I currently
have.

> Do you have a utility that will tell you your CPU speed? I'd check it now,
> then reboot and drop the multi to 12x in BIOS and see if it changes. If it
> does, then it's just a matter of raising it until your system isn't stable,
> then dropping it back a notch. Do you have control of vcore in your BIOS?

Yes, I have Vcore control in the BIOS.

> Ideally when overclocking you want to raise the FSB as much as possible as
> well as increase the overall CPU speed. I'm running an XP1800+ at the moment
> on a 200Mhz FSB with a 10.5 multi. I get *far* better results at 200 than I
> did at 133 or 166. (My system benchmarks within 10% of an XP3200+). However,
> you are limited with your board. You should still be able to increase the
> multi though and get an improvement in performance, especially if you have
> vcore control.

The only way to run FSB at 200 would be if my mobo supported a 1/6 PCI divider
setting, right? I've been told that the PCI divider on my board is limited to
1/4, so I'm probably limited to a FSB of only about 140 before the hard drives
give up. If that's the case, even if I can achieve a multiplier of 15
(doubtful), that only brings max system speed to 2100. Without more choices for
the PCI divider, overclocking my present CPU doesn't seem worthwhile to me.
BTW -- I can't find where the setting for the PCI divider is located in the
BIOS. Or does the "proper" divider setting automatically get set based upon the
FSB value? Can you provide any help with that?

> > Thanks for the clarification about the PCI divider. Thats' what I
> > was referring to when I mistakenly talked about AGP.
>
> No probs, good luck.

I found a setting in my BIOS that would allow it to recognize a mobile Athlon
CPU. I'm not sure exactly what that setting provides me over what I already
have, since I can already change the FSB and (perhaps) the multiplier (although
I still don't know whether changing the multiplier in BIOS would have an effect
with my present CPU -- gotta try it tomorrow). Even if my BIOS does recognize
a mobile Athlon CPU, and I'm able to change both the multiplier and FSB, I
still can't expect to overclock it very much because of the limited PCI divider
options, right? Or am I still reading the situation wrong?

I guess that I'm basically trying to decide on whether changing to a Mobile
Athlon (either 2400 or 2800) from my present XP2100 on this board would be
worthwhile in terms of overclocking. Based on the PCI divider limitation that
would still be there with a new CPU, it seems to me that the answer is No,
right? 8-(

Thanks for all your help!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2004 3:16:31 AM

Thanks for the link, David. I had already downloaded that utility and tried it with
my present CPU. Unfortunately it showed Frequency and Voltage Control as "Not
Supported".

From this FAQ, however, it sounds like I either would need to "convert" my CPU to a
mobile thru a hardware mod, or simply change to a Mobile Athlon CPU, right?

So if I get a mobile Athlon and use this utility, I should be able to increase the
multiplier and not worry about changing the FSB, right? If that's the case, I wonder
how high the multiplier could go on a Mobile 2400 or 2800....

David Maynard wrote:

> BRH wrote:

> >>First things first. What model is your CPU? When that board first came out
> >>the newest AMD CPU was the XP1800+ Palomino. If you have a Palomino forget
> >>overclocking, the results aren't going to be worth the effort. If you have a
> >>Tbred A you could get somewhere, a Tbred B will be worthwhile. The Tbreds
> >>are multiplier-unlocked, about the only way to overclock a board based on
> >>the KT266A chipset with any significant gain.
> >>
> >>The PC3200 RAM isn't going to make a huge difference. The highest PCI
> >>divider the KT266A chipset has is 1/4 so going much over 133Mhz FSB is going
> >>to upset everything that hangs off the PCI bus, including HDDs.
> >>--
> >>~misfit~
> >

> > It sounds to me like you're saying that the RAM isn't what's holding me back.
> > It's the hard drives that don't like to run off spec.
> >
> > My CPU is definitely a Tbred (XP2100+) -- not sure anymore whether its an A or
> > B, but I'm pretty sure that its a B. AFAIK though, the multiplier is NOT
> > unlocked by default, at least not without doing some sort of mod to the CPU,
> > which I'm not comfortable doing. However, if I'm wrong about that, what
> > settings do you suggest I try? (The default is 13 multiplier x 133 FSB).
> >
> > In fact, I have nothing against getting a different CPU whose multiplier IS
> > unlocked so that I can overclock it. (See my other thread about Mobile Athlon
> > CPU's.)
> >
> > Thanks for the clarification about the PCI divider. Thats' what I was referring
> > to when I mistakenly talked about AGP.
> >

> Well, since you're willing to 'buy a new one' anyway that relieves some of
> the pressure about trying things on the old one.
>
> Check the CPU MSR page again, the tweaks section.
>
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier_FAQ/AXP_Mu...
>
> It's possible that by modding the L5 bridge you could 'turn it into a
> mobile' and use the CPU MSR program to change multipliers on the fly. It
> would boot at it's normal speed and then CPU MSR could (automatically) set
> it higher once up. the point is, no change to FSB so no different PCI
> divider needed.
>
> One can apparently do this with Palomino and Morgan cores too.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2004 4:58:31 AM

BRH wrote:

> Thanks for the link, David. I had already downloaded that utility and tried it with
> my present CPU. Unfortunately it showed Frequency and Voltage Control as "Not
> Supported".
>
> From this FAQ, however, it sounds like I either would need to "convert" my CPU to a
> mobile thru a hardware mod, or simply change to a Mobile Athlon CPU, right?

Right.

> So if I get a mobile Athlon and use this utility, I should be able to increase the
> multiplier and not worry about changing the FSB, right? If that's the case, I wonder
> how high the multiplier could go on a Mobile 2400 or 2800....

Since I was looking to operate at 200 MHz FSB with my mobile 2400+ I don't
know what the maximum multiplier limit would be.

!