I wonder what would happen...

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Getting away from Trademark issues (I am now burying that one)... my
mind wandered over to a theoretical puzzle..

What would happen if say... Atari asked MAMEDev if it could commercially
sell MAME to distribute its own ROMs like paperboy?

What would happen if MAMEDev said no?

This is NOT flamebait or slagging off MAMEDev or anything like that.. I
just couldnt figure out who's rights over who's!

Personally I think MAMEDev would be in the right, but who knows?

MCR

MCR wrote:
> Getting away from Trademark issues (I am now burying that one)... my
> mind wandered over to a theoretical puzzle..
>
> What would happen if say... Atari asked MAMEDev if it could
> commercially sell MAME to distribute its own ROMs like paperboy?
>
> What would happen if MAMEDev said no?
>
> This is NOT flamebait or slagging off MAMEDev or anything like that..
> I just couldnt figure out who's rights over who's!
>
> Personally I think MAMEDev would be in the right, but who knows?
>
> MCR

I think they should say yes in that situation....if a major rom copyright
holder is suddenly giving mAME the OK, then I would advise them to jump at
the opportunity to possibly, down the road, if they could work out the deal,
get legal permission from Atari to officially be able to permissibly run all
Atari games compatible with MAME. Now that would be cool.

Same thing if that happened with Namco. Except it would be even cooler to be
able to "officially" play Pac-Man then play Paper Boy or some other Atari
rom...Namco, in my opinion, has always made better games than Atari. They
are simply more arcade-like, while Atari's tend to have console hints, such
as Asteroids not having the ability to tell you how many credits you have
put in. Just like a console game, that has no credits involved.

The nice thing is that Namco did arcade games from the start all the way
through, while Atari was always big on console games, and arcade games were
sort of just either extensions of console games or American releases of
Namco games, in which my previous rant about Namco being better than Atari
would be nullified. Example: Pole Position, etc.

Now how in the world did I get on to talking about all this? :-?

-----8<-----
> rom...Namco, in my opinion, has always made better games than Atari. They
> are simply more arcade-like, while Atari's tend to have console hints, such
> as Asteroids not having the ability to tell you how many credits you have
> put in. Just like a console game, that has no credits involved.
>
> The nice thing is that Namco did arcade games from the start all the way
> through, while Atari was always big on console games, and arcade games were
> sort of just either extensions of console games or American releases of
> Namco games, in which my previous rant about Namco being better than Atari
> would be nullified. Example: Pole Position, etc.

Would someone else like to take this? I don't have the heart.

--
Thnik about it! Please!
Deadly_Dad

Oh, what the hell. Here:
http://tinyurl.com/8f9nd
http://tinyurl.com/8ao8z

"MCR" <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Getting away from Trademark issues (I am now burying that one)... my
> mind wandered over to a theoretical puzzle..
>
> What would happen if say... Atari asked MAMEDev if it could commercially
> sell MAME to distribute its own ROMs like paperboy?
>
> What would happen if MAMEDev said no?
>
> This is NOT flamebait or slagging off MAMEDev or anything like that.. I
> just couldnt figure out who's rights over who's!
>
> Personally I think MAMEDev would be in the right, but who knows?
>
> MCR

Capcom arcade classics vol 1(SF1, SF2CE) run on a 3rd party emulator. The
only difference is the use of offical capcom roms instead of bootleg mame
roms.

Sune Salminen wrote:
> Dead_Dad wrote:
>> AnonyMouse wrote:
>>> MCR wrote:
>> -----8<-----
>>> rom...Namco, in my opinion, has always made better games than Atari.
>>> They are simply more arcade-like, while Atari's tend to have console
>>> hints, such as Asteroids not having the ability to tell you how many
>>> credits you have put in. Just like a console game, that has no
>>> credits involved.
>
> I don't think there are many games from that era that tells you how
> many credits you have left.
>
> Besides - on Asteroids the start buttons will keep flashing as long as
> there are credits left in the game. You can tell there's only one
> credit left when the player two start button stops flashing.
>
>>> The nice thing is that Namco did arcade games from the start all the
>>> way through, while Atari was always big on console games, and arcade
>>> games were sort of just either extensions of console games or
>>> American releases of Namco games, in which my previous rant about
>>> Namco being better than Atari would be nullified. Example: Pole
>>> Position, etc.
>>
>> Would someone else like to take this? I don't have the heart.
>
> Well, pole position was by Namco. Atari licensed it from them.
>
> I can understand what Anonymouse is saying but i don't agree.
>
> -Sune

It's impossible to see the start buttons when you're playing Asteroids on an
old dinosaur laptop in MAME.

Sune Salminen wrote:
> AnonyMouse wrote:
>> Sune Salminen wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think there are many games from that era that tells you how
>>> many credits you have left.
>>>
>>> Besides - on Asteroids the start buttons will keep flashing as long
>>> as there are credits left in the game. You can tell there's only one
>>> credit left when the player two start button stops flashing.
>
> /snip
>
>> It's impossible to see the start buttons when you're playing
>> Asteroids on an old dinosaur laptop in MAME.
>
> That's kind of beside the point you were making, isn't it?
>
> -Sune

I was making a new point, wasn't I?